Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

In the News

Go down 
+9
aerwin
Luca
abrahammy
Green Eyez
austin
firecracker
Janice
frazzle
Admin
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
Badger

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2007-07-24

In the News - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 4:44 pm

My sister and my stepmom live out in the country where there is quite a bit of hunting for deer and other animals. All the people who own large-breed dogs (they have an elderly standard poodle) make their dogs wear brightly-colored t-shirts during hunting season so they don't get mistaken for a deer. With the smaller pets - like cats or toy breed dogs - you have to worry that they don't get captured by coyotes or birds of prey.

My dad hunted when I was growing up so we always had guns in the house. We used to eat a lot of venison and venison sausage.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 5:02 pm

I have bever eaten venison No
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2007 6:15 am

My cousin's son was 20. He had his whole life ahead of him. It was terrible.
Well I live out in the country and my property borders the National Forrest. I have nothing but disdain for hunters. I have to put orange spray pain on my sheep to mark them so they won't be shot. But that hasn't stopped them they killed two last season. And don't even get me started on how they trash the area. I have personally cleaned up tons of their junk. It infuriates me. Most people try to tell me the majority of hunters are not irresponible but that is certainly not my experience. my neighbor and I both had to padlock our pasture gates so they won't walk across our property .
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2007 7:16 am

I can't imagine how awful that was for your family No Breaks my heart Crying or Very sad Same for your little sheep. Personally (and no offence to anyone) hunting really turns my stomach. I suppose it is one thing if they take their kill home to feed their family, but killing animals just for sport is hard to take. When we used to fish we always threw the fish back - every single time.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 4:20 pm

Shooting at NIU Sad

This is the college Eric will go to his junior and senior year. This college is only 30 mins. from our neighborhood. I have so many friends, neighbors and relatives that went to this school. Eric knows people going there right now but he is in a late class at his campus - Waubonsee. Unbelievable and so upsetting that this has happen at NIU. He is going right from class to work. He is going to be so upset when he finds out, at least until he knows no one he knows has been hurt.

It is all that is on our TV right now. We have two dead and several with severe gunshot wounds to the head. What the hell is going on with the world today? Why can't are kids be safe at school??? Sad Evil or Very Mad

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23171567/
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 7:15 pm

That's just terrible. Weird that I was just talking about this in the music thread. I will never understand it. These people get way too much press. I mean, this is a new phenomenon, right? It has to be because we get saturated by the news media when something like this happens, even when there is NO NEW NEWS to report. They rehash and rehash and show the shooter and then some other asshole gets it in his head to get himself famous, even if it involves shooting himself and others. Good Lord.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 7:48 pm

I totally agree! This is about them wanting to be "infamous"!

Now we have 6 dead and two more in very critical condition. I left a message on Eric's voice mail and he called me after class and didn't know about the shooting yet. He had to go straight to work from class, but he was anxious to find out if anyone he knew was hurt. None of his closest friends go there yet. Two of his best friends are in the transfer program like Eric and won't go to Northern until junior year. His very best friend goes to Columbia and others are at Eastern and Western. But he has some friends he has hung out with that go to Northern. There are a total of 22 who have been shot. It is just horrible. I can't believe this has happened here. I am stunned. I cannot believe that I am Watching Fox News and the story of "Campus Shooting" is our school No I am seeing kids interviewed from towns near us and and from a town we lived in when our boys were born and very young. Shocking.
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 8:47 pm

This was terrible news today. It must be rough in your area FC. So sorry to hear about these young people dying.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 8:54 pm

It's hard because this is the school my oldest son will be going to. He could have started his freshman year there but decided to go to Waubonsee his first two years and transfer to Northern. So I keep thinking what it would have been like for our family if this happened when Eric was there. The terror. I cried just thinking about it. I cannot imagine how horrible it was/is for the kids who were there and their family and friends.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 12:08 am

What is causing these horrible things!

Here is the one currently breakig my heart: a 14 year old flamboyantly gay foster kid gets shot, dead, in a school classroom, by a 14 year old kid of a nuclear family. Wonder where he got the gun and the hate?

LINK

I realy cannot fathom anybody being opposed to gun control

People who hunt for food will never be denied guns. But wouldn't it be nice if everybody else was?
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 1:04 am

The parents are gonna be charged, rightr?
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 1:35 am

They haven't yet, but they are floating stories about the father being a lowlife criminal.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 6:31 am

What's causing these horrible things IS the real question! Not just gun control issues, but WHY are our young people going on shooting rampages at their schools???? It is more than being able to get their hands on guns. That is not new. People have been able to get their hands on guns for decades. What is happening in these young boys lives and minds that is causing them to be so incredibly violent and have such total lack of respect or regard for innocent young peoples lives? That is what I would love to know. Why aren't more people seeing the warning signs and getting these kids help? The Virgina Tech shooter was practically carrying a sign telling people he was a time bomb about to go off and nobody did anything to help him!

Of course I wish we could keep guns out of the hands of these kids, but even with all the guns laws out there it hasn't stopped it, and the bad guys will ALWAYS be able to get weapons. Always have and always will. I just don't know how we can stop it. I am telling you my sons could tell you how to get gun, and we are talking a tiny town in the cornfields of Illinois and if they wanted to get a gun they could. It scares the crap out of me.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 1:25 pm

That is a very scary story. I cannot believe that is the school so close you FC. You know I am terrified for my son to go away. He still has two more years and I would like to think he is safe.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 8:02 am

Sadly Aerwin, I don't think any of us or our kids can be completely safe any more. Just two weeks ago in one of the Chicago suburbs 5 women were shot and killed at a Lane Bryant store by a lone gunman who walked in to rob the place. Broad daylight on a Saturday afternoon. In a freaking Lane Bryant. We are not safe at school, stores, McDonald's. We can only go about our lives and pray to God nothing happens to us or our loved ones. It is a scary world No
Back to top Go down
aerwin

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 7:13 am

I am dying to know what y'all think about that raid on the polygamist cult.I think they should take those kids away. If you ask me those men are just a bunch of child raoing pervs hiding under the guise of religion and the women are just as bad for letting it happen.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 8:17 am

ABSOLUTELY! They are disgusting Mad Poor kids.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 11:50 am

Those women are creeeeepy Stepford Wives.

Old men marrying little girls. children told to marry their relatives. It's horrible. That mothers are doing this to their own daughters is reprehensible.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 10:12 pm

This is just so tragic Crying or Very sad That poor family. This will haunt this poor boy his whole life.

Quote :

Chapman's daughter dies

Quote:
Steven Curtis Chapman’s youngest child died Wednesday afternoon after being struck by a car driven by her teenage brother in the driveway of the family’s Williamson County home.

Maria, one of the Christian singer’s six children, was taken by LifeFlight to Vanderbilt Hospital, which confirmed the death, according to Laura McPherson, a spokeswoman for the Tennessee Highway Patrol.

The 5-year-old was hit by an SUV driven by her teenage brother, she said. Police did not give the driver’s name.

The teen was driving a Toyota Land Cruiser down the driveway of the rural home at about 5:30 p.m. and several children were playing in the area, McPherson said. He did not see Maria in the driveway before the vehicle struck her, she said.

“It appears to be a terrible accident,’’ McPherson said.

No charges are expected, she said. The accident was witnessed by two other children; the entire family was home at the time, McPherson said.
Back to top Go down
Badger

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 11:36 pm

I read about the accident at The Clackhouse. What a horrible tragedy for the family. Unfortunately, apparently these types of accidents are pretty common. Reader's Digest did a story about it not too long ago.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 6:42 pm

I found this a very interesting read. Medicines doctors prescribe but wouldn't take themselves. Several cause heart attacks. Guess how many of these meds my Dad was on at the time of his heart attack Suspect

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24777955/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

In the News
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7