Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chitchat

Go down 
+9
Green Eyez
mishmash
aerwin
Sky
southernbelle
Janice
austin
firecracker
frazzle
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
mishmash

mishmash

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2007-04-17

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2007 6:27 pm

Ha ha ha...FC, I don't think I can tolerate more domineering people in my life. My Mom is enough. She's leaving it all up to me. It's a new job and the requirement is urgent. I might be spending Winterval (Winter Festival - I hear the word Christmas is un-PC now) in NY if I take it up.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2007 6:57 pm

I have not been in NYC at the holiday time, but from all the specials I have watched on TV I know that it is gorgeous and exciting. I am so glad that your mom is being supportive of your decision! That has to be tough for her. As a mom I know how hard it is too let your kids go, even if they are all gown-up!
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2007 1:17 am

Oh, Mishmash, I hope you move to NYC (and can find a place smack dab in the city.I have been intending to move to NY for decades, but never had enough money except when I was working at the art museum..so I couldn't move because I was working.

I would need $80,000 a year (about $7,000 a month) to even consider living there at this point.

Somebody less extravagant than me could do it on a minimum of $5000 a month. The good news is that jobs in Manhattan pay more (for something like being a webmaster, anyway) than other places.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 12:26 pm

I just wanted to say that I hope all our ladies in So. Cal are OK!

Please stay in touch with us and let us know that you are fine and what is going on!

It is simply horrible what is happening there Crying or Very sad I am praying for everyone there. What a tragedy.

Please check in as much as you can so we know how you are doing. I am a worry wart and a mother hen!!
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

Number of posts : 502

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 3:00 pm

I have a brother who lives in the northern part of San Diego and they thought they were going to evacuate, but now they're being told to wait. My sister-in-law is pretty much freaking out (natural state anyway). The fires four years ago were very close to them (in the hills above where they live).
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/austin_ambrosia
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 1260
Registration date : 2007-04-06

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 3:16 pm

That has to be scary............................I hope they will stay safe.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 3:38 pm

Thoughts and prayers are with your family Austin. Please keep us posted as to how they are doing.

Does Frazz live near any of this? I read in another thread that GE was smelling the smoke. I hope those two check in so we know if they are OK.

I cannot even imagine how horrible this is for the people who live there and have loved ones there No The video footage is overwhelming.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 3:57 pm

It is scary. I hope everyone is ok. I heard 250,000 had to leave.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 4:03 pm

Yes, 250,000 from the San Diago area. I have no idea what the total for all areas are. Unfreakingbelievable No
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 8:07 pm

The good news about where I live, in the middle of the city part of east West Hollywood, unless some neighbor blows up his crack pipe and sets a building on fire (that actually happened once, across the street, and the flames did threaten to blow into my building...very scary), there is no dry brush nearby to start a fire. Just in case, I think I will water the backyard tomorrow.

The air feels like bad smog, but ashes are not covering things where I am (some fires do send ash my way).

I have not heard from anybody affected, but on the news it looks horrific.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 8:10 pm

Thanks Frazz for checking in and the info about where you live. So glad you are safe from the fires! Hope all your friends are too!
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 1:05 am

I am not sure exactly where Green Eyez lives, but I am pretty sure she is safe. I hope we hear from her.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 5:40 am

GE said in the Supernatural thread that she was house sitting and could smell the smoke. She said she was going to post in Chit Chat and I said I'll see you there, but she hasn't posted in here. Maybe she is just busy. I know her mom had been ill recently.
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 9:22 am

I think my brother has been evacuated (if he agreed to go, he wouldn't 4 years ago with the other fires). We called their house phone early this a.m. and there wasn't an answer. We haven't tried their cell, but I heard that cell phones were down, but I guess I should try.

I was watching a press conference by the mayor of San Diego about an hour ago and he mentioned my brother's neighborhood as one that's been evacuated. First time I had heard it mentioned.

My mom is here (she had been in San Diego 2 weeks ago), she will probably start freaking out soon. I guess Neill is okay where he lives near Hollywood.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 9:26 am

Oh Austin, I sure hope everything is OK with your brother and family. I am sure your mom will freak out. If it were one of my kids I would be a mess Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 10:16 am

I just reached my brother on his cell phone. They actually spent the night at a friend's house in the south part of San Diego. He didn't want to leave the house, but my sister-in-law made him go.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 10:33 am

YAY!! I am so glad they are OK and that SIL made sure they got out. Men are so stubborn sometimes! That would be my hubby I bet.

I am on The Clayboard. Huge membership there, and I am reading so many ladies stories of what they and their families are going thru. It is terrible. Some left for hotels or other friends/relatives houses and now they have to leave there. One poster there has a son who is one of the firefighters. She is so worried. Man, I can't even imagine how I would be if my son were fighting those fires. He has been fighting them for over 30 hours straight. Their skin is chaffed. They are horrible hot and exhausted yet adrenaline is keeping them going.

I just watched CNN and say that it is now over 1,000 homes and businesses destroyed. Such a horrible situation.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 11:54 am

Oh goodness! I just heard it is up to 1200 homes and business destroyed and getting worse!!

I wish GE would check in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frazz or anyone who knows her number can you call her? I know she could smell the smoke yesterday. I am worried. I know she has an elderly disablied mom out there too Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 12:16 pm

I thought most of L.A. was okay, that the main problem up there was the Malibu area? The fires in San Diego are much more widespread, I believe.

We have a call in to Neill but haven't heard from him, but he's out in North Hollywood.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 12:26 pm

I do not know all about the areas in Calif. I don't know for sure where in Calif. GE lives. She house sits and I don't know where she sits either. Is L.A. far from these fires? Is everyone in L.A. safe from any problems? I always think of Malibu as pretty close to L.A. since so many TV stars live there and work in L.A. I figured if Malibu was on fire that people in L.A. were on the look out for trouble. I guess I should look at a detailed map and see how close the places are to each other.
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 12:39 pm

I am no expert (I've only been there twice), but I know that Malibu is on the ocean and I don't think that L.A. is at all. (I guess maybe L.A. County could be on the ocean? I don't know what county Malibu is in.)

San Diego is about 120 miles south of L.A.

Depending on what part of L.A., it's about 35 miles from Malibu. Of course when you talk about "Los Angeles" that's a very big place and there are a lot of towns there with different names, that might not be technically L.A., but are still considered the L.A. area.

Anyway, it's all a big mess and scary.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 12:56 pm

There's a lot scary about this story. The damage, the loss of life and property, the destruction of trees...

And it's the second cataclysmic fire that's hit the planet this year - Greece was first.

This folks, is part of global warming. I'm afraid it's going to happen again. Maybe a lot.
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 1:39 pm

There was a big one in SD four years ago too. Where my brother lives is surrounded by hills which have very expensive houses on them. The first time I was there was about a year and a half after that and we took a ride up into the hills and could see all of the empty lots.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 5:33 pm

Sorry guys. I'm in the same situation as Frazz. Fortunately I live in a very populated area and my apt. building is not built into the side of a mountain.

It has thrown off the weather system considerably. it's no longer huge clouds of smoke in the distance. It's literally in a layer ABOVE the city. You cannot see the sky where I live.

I was dogsitting at a house where the hill behind caught fire, but that was minor. I did, however, start piling stuff into my car at 6 a.m. just in case.

It's really surreal out there. Everything looks weird.

I do have friends who live in Canyon Country who had to evacuate.

Every year this happens. EVERY year. Especially Malibu. Why extra precautions are not taken when the wind kicks up to 60 mph and the humidity level dips below 10% is beyond me!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 5:51 pm

GE! So glad to see that you are doing OK! Sorry to hear that you can't even see the sky No That is so awful. Just know people all over the world are praying for you guys and our hearts are with you I love you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chitchat - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 21 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chitchat
Page 21 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wizened Women :: Hello, hello :: Chit-chat, News, Real Life, Get motivated-
Jump to: