Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Writing for TV and movies

Go down 
+3
austin
Green Eyez
frazzle
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 7:33 pm

Awww, GE...I was EXCITED. Now if only I could stay in that state and also make money!

I could not make the little video on the pbs site work, either, but i know that the American Masters shows show up on ebay, so they must exist.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 10:54 pm

You know, when I was trying to research for this script, I kept trying to find actor's blogs and just anything that described the process they go through and the things they do in terms of learning their craft.

I came up with nothing.

Then I type in "what is your objective?" and VOILA! I have hits galore! You're right. That is the magical phrase.

This script is infinitely better than my last run. I cannot WAIT to show it to you. You are a big part of it. I couldn't have written it without you, frazz.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 12:52 am

I FINISHED MY SCRIPT! AGAIN!

It's 86 pages. It started out 88 pages. Then my teacher asked me to cut three characters AND the last 10 pages. Oy.

I recorded her notes. Since she goes through the script page by page and her notes are clear and concise, I was able to get through it in no time. Then I saw I had 81 pages. Oy again.

So I re-tooled my re-tools and the script is now a shadow of it's former self. The general structure is there, but most of it has been changed greatly.

Thanks to Frazz for once again saving the day. I would like to send the script to you for your perusal before I send it in to my teacher (I meet with her March 3, but need to get it to her before then). If you can't read it before then, don't worry.

However, my last foray into sending an email did not turn out well. If you could send me an email so I can send one back with the script, that would be great.

WOO HOO! Sweet freedom!
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 1:00 am

YAY YAY YAY...gonna send you an email right now.

OK, sent it. If you do not get it, let me know here.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 1:27 am

I realized the problem. I had an old email.

It's sent! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 1:11 am

I met with the script lady today and things went REALLY well. My first meeting involved many structural changes to where the script is almost unrecognizable from the first draft.

She said I totally get it and my instincts are great. That I did an excellent job. The only changes she had were things to punch up or edit scenes I already have. One pass and I was able to do it! I'm very proud of myself.

So, I plan on making my changes and then exploring my options. I'm very excited that I did this script totally on my own.
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 7:46 pm

Good going Green Eyez. Glad to read that everything went so well. Continued good luck with the script.

Hope it was okay to post this here.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 8:37 pm

Congrats GE! cheers
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 6:37 am

Cool!! I admire anyone that can write.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 1:26 pm

I also got an excellent suggestion from Frazz, so between the teacher and frazz, I'm expecting to sell the script this year!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 7:48 pm

So this script you are working on now is a different one than the one you entered in the contest?*scratches head* Sorry to ask stupid questions here, but this is extremely exciting and I want to try and get up to speed on which script you will be selling this year! cheers

Also, is this a television or short film script?
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 8:51 pm

Luca! I love questions! It's the only way you learn stuff.

This is the script I entered in the contest. I didn't get into the finals because the script was not very good. Also, these contests really like those very indie deep meaningful films like "Akeelah and the Bee" (which I believe won the year before). The main reason I entered was to give myself a deadline and actually complete it. Mission accomplished.

This is a full-length motion picture. It's a romantic comedy. Right now it's 86 pages, but I'm really hoping to make it at least 90. The rule is each page is a minute of screen time, so that would be an hour and a half. Most of your typical scripts are 120 pages which gets your typical 2 hour movie. Most romantic comedies are shorter.
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 9:31 pm

I learned more from your one post here, Green Eyez, about script length than I ever knew. That's a great rule of thumb!
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 7:31 pm

OK, I'm looking for help from my homegirls!

I have my lead character going to her agent's office. The agent kind of pays her a compliment, but it can be taken a few different ways. The agent isn't being mean, just where she says something to my lead and she's left scratching her head.

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 7:34 pm

So am I scratch

I'm not sure what you are looking for??
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 7:49 pm

Like...ummm...

My teacher had suggested something like "well, you still look the same"...

Imagine if somebody said something to you and you couldn't decide whether it was a compliment or not.

"Ohhhh...you're parting your hair on the left this week..."

You know, where it's an observation comment and not a compliment or outright mean.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 7:55 pm

Oh I see. You want us to give you some suggestions for what the agent says. I think I will save that for the funnier/more snarky members here. Frazz would be a good one!
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 10:04 pm

I tend not be subtle enough.

Like "Well aren't you just YOU!"

And "Hi! Um...where do I know you from?"

And "I just realized who you remind me of! Remember the girl on Moonlighting? Not Cybill...the ugly one. I certainly don't mean you are ugly. You are much better looking than her. I mean the one with the squeaky voice. Just some sort of similarity around the mouth. Wonderful actress she was. I heard she got cancer. I hope she is OK."
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 12:25 am

OK, the you just YOU one may be the winner here. Definitely what I was going for.

I could also rework the "you remind me of..." thing, which could really be funny.

As usual, frazz, you have saved the day.

The script is turning out much better. I'm on page 52 of the polishing and have used your suggestion for punching up the beginning.

I can't wait to send it to you. You and like one other person will be the last word before it goes out into the world.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 6:37 pm

WEEEEE! I finished the script! Thank God I have Frazz and her amazing descriptive skills to guide me through some of my tougher scenes.

Frazz, I sent it to you via email. Woo hoo!!!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 6:39 pm

Congrats GE! Best of luck to you!
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 1:04 pm

That's great news GE! Best of luck with it. cheers
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 2:35 pm

Thanks. Frazz pointed out a couple of things which I'm working on now. I hope to finish (AGAIN!) soon. I also have another writer friend looking it over.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 3:02 pm

How exciting you are in the final editing mode! So who are you going to take the script to first after it is tweaked?

*popcorn ready*
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 12:16 am

Weeellll...considering I'm in a public forum, I will only say this:

I used to work with this guy who is now very high up in a very well-known actress' production company.

I'm going to send it there first.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Writing for TV and movies   Writing for TV and movies - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Writing for TV and movies
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next