Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Useful gadgets

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Useful gadgets Empty
PostSubject: Useful gadgets   Useful gadgets Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2007 6:31 pm

I just broke my lemon squeezer...looking around for one that is stronger (it looked like a garlic press, and was made of acrilic. Same deal in steel is what I want).

On the other hand, my OXO garlic press is easy to clean, easy to squeeze, doesn't get quite as much garlic mash out as some others I've had (and broken), and it seems indestruictable.
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

Number of posts : 502

Useful gadgets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Useful gadgets   Useful gadgets Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2007 10:49 pm

Garlic presses, ha! I JUST bought a new one at IKEA yesterday. It's metal. My previous one was hard plastic and just didn't the job well enough.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/austin_ambrosia
austin

austin

Useful gadgets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Useful gadgets   Useful gadgets Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2007 8:06 am

Would y'all call a refrigerator a "useful gadget?" Because mine decided to stop working. The guy's on his way over right now to take a look-see. In a way I WANT it to be dead, because I'd love to get one that has a water filter in it so we can use the outside of the door water. The one we have now was made the year before that was available.

HOWEVER, I don't want to spend $1,200 or whatever on a new frig right now! Aackk.

Last edited by on Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965

Useful gadgets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Useful gadgets   Useful gadgets Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2007 8:25 am

Austin I'm thinking a fridge is a pretty useful gadget!! Laughing

I am sorry you are without a working fridge, but I can relate to wanting a new one. When we built this house six years ago we of course wanted a really nice brand new fridge. We splurged for one with filtered water and being able to get crushed, cubed ice and water from the outside of the door. We LOVE it. The water is always cold and refeshing. The auto ice maker is wonderful. Take the plunge if at all possible and get a fridge like that. You won't be sorry! Hunt for a good deal. We got ours on sale at Home Depot for $900. It is a really good size too. Holds a lot! We got lucky. Home Depot had just started selling them and put them at a good price.
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

Useful gadgets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Useful gadgets   Useful gadgets Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2007 9:18 am

Well, he's been and gone. It was NOT a goner. $250 later, he said it will proably work for ANOTHER 10 years. That's fine.

BUT, I talked to him about filtered water, and he's coming back tomorrow to hook up a fliter thru the water line in the back. It will cost $90, but then we will always have good water. We drink a LOT of water in this house. My daughter's the only who drinks soda and that's only when we're out. We don't have it in the house, so decent-tasting water is very important.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Useful gadgets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Useful gadgets   Useful gadgets Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am

Well that is a great alternative. $90 seems like a really fair price to get the good water. You are lucky your daughter only drinks pop when you are out. My oldest is good about drinking water, juice, milk and pop sometimes. My youngest won't drink milk or juice and very little water. He ONLY wants pop. Makes me nuts! He was so good about milk and juice when he was younger. He gets this from his father who drinks a 2 ltr. bottle of diet coke a day. I never drink soda.
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

Useful gadgets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Useful gadgets   Useful gadgets Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2007 9:43 am

My husband is REALLY into iced tea. He mostly drinks it at lunch (like a GALLON!) and then asks them for a to-go cup. He brings home a huge cup, puts it in the frig and then my daughter steals sips from it. If there's one thing that girl DOESN'T need it's caffeine. She is so hyper already.

We just don't have soda (I've never called it pop! I'm an Easterner, although I've got some Southern influence too) in the house. The trick for me is not to take her to the grocery store. Really the best thing is to not take that girl to any store at all. But that's a whole other story for another thread I guess!
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

Useful gadgets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Useful gadgets   Useful gadgets Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2007 10:42 am

Three big trash bags later, I am off to buy more food for my useful gadget. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

Useful gadgets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Useful gadgets   Useful gadgets Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 10:25 pm

Not exactly a gadget, but I want to find a machine washable/dryable thin bed pillow, made of whatever stays cool, not hot from body heat.

In other words, not a big fluffy one, not made of things that make you sweat (like tempurpedic).

The right size and firmness is an ancient cotton filled one that I have, but it is not washable. I have about three tightly woven cotton covers and two pillow cases on it to keep the dust mites out of me, but it is really grossing me out, anyway.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Useful gadgets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Useful gadgets   Useful gadgets Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 6:10 am

Here ae some options!

at Target

Comma pillow

You can call to order this one. Looks cool! These look thinner too.

Tempur Pedic
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Useful gadgets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Useful gadgets   Useful gadgets Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Useful gadgets
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wizened Women :: Hello, hello :: Chit-chat, News, Real Life, Get motivated-
Jump to: