Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MOVIES!

Go down 
+9
Badger
mishmash
southernbelle
frazzle
Luca
aerwin
firecracker
austin
Green Eyez
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 8:49 am

That is horrible that in this day and age the "casting couch" mentality still exists. How incredibly sad for women in the biz.

I am not blaming the writers for the strike and I totally agree with them and understand. I just hate that it came to this. Now none of the actors are going to the Golden Globes. NBC will still show it, but who the heck is going to be on it? scratch Who will the presenters be if not actors? It's just a sad situation all the way around, especially for fans of TV shows Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 2:25 pm

NBC And Hollywood Foreign Press Cancel Televised Golden Globes Hoopla; Show Will Be Scrapped In Favor Of Stripped Down News Event

Quote :
The Hollywood writers strike can now claim its first awards show casualty. I'm hearing from my sources that NBC will not be broadcasting a big Golden Globes show as planned for January 13th. Nor will a much ballyhooed unbroadcasted event be held, either. Instead, a stripped down announcements telecast will be aired by NBC News. It will consist of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association handing out Golden Globes to the winners, who will then pick up the awards and pass through a press room for photos and interviews. "It'll now be a news event where the actors can still get all glammed up," a source told I've not yet received any official confirmation of any of this. But insiders tell me that NBC Universal topper Jeff Zucker and the Hollywood Foreign Press Association which bestows the Golden Globes made the decision together to scale everything back.

This makes me so sad Crying or Very sad Watch this be the year Depp wins and we won't get to see him get his award and give his brilliant speech!!
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 1:56 am

I was wondering how they were going to have an awards show with no stars. It would have been HILARIOUS to watch them try. They had a crawl during another show that it was canceled. I wasn't surprised.

Hollywood is so filled with politics and nepotism, you wouldn't believe it. The fact that most people would do almost anything to get in the business, makes
it hard on those who want to make it on hard work alone. Those people don't stand a chance.

If you haven't seen "Swimming with Sharks" it's some great insight. It was written by a former assistant to a huge mucky muck at Sony.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 6:49 am

I think Daniel Day lewis has made it on his work. Unless I am wrong. BTW, he won the Critic's Choice award Sun night and so did Javier for No Country For Old Men. But you would know I won't get to see Johnny Depp and Daniel Day at the golden Globes. SUX!!! What will happen to the Oscars???
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 7:03 am

It sure does suck! I read it is quite possible that the Oscars could end up the same way if the writers plan to picket. SAG members won't cross the picket line, and who would watch The Oscars without the stars? It's so sad. I saw Clooney interviewed yesterday talking about all the people out of work and how the parties involved NEED to get into a locked room and WORK IT OUT! I couldn't agree more!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 9:28 am

I have a feeling it will get worked out by the oscars. There is too much movie promotion opportunity and Hollywood politics and money tied up in the tradition.

I sure hope so anyway. I love the Oscars and the Golden Globe awards shows. boohoo.

Last edited by on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 10:11 am

I know Embarassed I am already so sad about the Golden Globes. I LOVE that one because it is TV and Movies and not as boring as most of the others can be Razz The Oscars are exciting, but there is always that long stretch of not so interesting categories and tributes.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 10:19 pm

Well, my 16 year old just got home from seeing Sweeney Todd. He said it was the MOST depressing movie he ever saw and it had waaaaaaaaay too much singing. He did love Johnny Depp though. Justin is a huge fan of JD and Tim Burton. He even recently went to see the new version of The Nightmare Before Christmas. I tried to get him to tell me more about the movie, but all he would say is it is too depressing. Also, he doesn't think I would like all the blood. Oh well, perhaps I will rent it.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 11:03 pm

Too bad Justin did'nt care for Sweeney Todd. I still can't wait to see it. Singing, gore, and all!!! I am really confident I will love it! I like musicals, l think Tim Burton is a creative genius and love just about anything he does, and well there is Johnny, Helena, etc...oh, and I forgot I love period flicks too.

Wish it would get here soon! Shocked
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 12:23 am

A happy note: as a SAG member (I am actually paid up now on my dues) I received three DVDs that are nominated for SAG awards today in the mail: 3:10 to Yuma, Almost There, and YAY No Country for Old men...which I will watch shortly.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 12:28 am

OK, I will give you that. People who do not like watching actors sing their dialogue are not going to enjoy Sweeney Todd. Count on it. It's almost an opera.

I thought Depp was F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S in it, and I'm no fangirl. He hits and misses with me - hated his Willy Wonka - but this was spot-on terrific, and he acted it so well that... the critics said his singing voice is thin? Never noticed. I made a point to check out if he was singing on key, and he was, and then I was pretty swept up in the miserable anger of Benjamin Barker and never noticed Johnny Depp at all anymore.

With Helen Bonham Carter, on the other hand, I was frequently aware of her thin voice and very muddy articulation. Sometimes I could not understand her, and so Mrs. Potts got lost, but I ALWAYS understood Sweeney.

I will say this also about Sweeney Todd: Depressing? Well, everybody dies, including but not limited to all the people who deserve it. Sweeney gets his revenge and so does his victims. And there's an awful lot of blood.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 5:34 am

frazzle wrote:
A happy note: as a SAG member (I am actually paid up now on my dues) I received three DVDs that are nominated for SAG awards today in the mail: 3:10 to Yuma, Almost There, and YAY No Country for Old men...which I will watch shortly.
YAY!! I cannot wait for you to see NO Country. Javier Bardem will scare the pants off you . He is creepy. 3:10 to Yuma is also excellent. I love Christian Bale and Russell Crowe is always at the top of his game. Look out for a young actor in that movie , Ben Foster. He turns in a great performance.

I absolutely LOVED Sweeney Todd . I thought it was brilliant. It is not a happy musical but that's fine by me. Of all the nominated movies so far I liked NO Country the most, followed by Sweeney. I am impatiently waiting for There Will Be Blood. I don't think it will ever get here. I gave to see my Daniel Day though.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 7:13 am

Well that was the thing - Justin knew it was a musical and he was fine with that (he loved Grease) but thought it was more a movie WITH songs, not sing everything. I will be honest with you all, that will probably get to me too. I could barely sit through Evita. Being a 16 year old boy the blood didn't bother him, but he knows I watch ER and Grey's with my hands over my eyes. Sometimes CSI would make me gag. I stopped watching it, not because it is not a great show because it is AND there sure are some pretty men, but all the guts pale Also, Justin is a fun and funny kid so I am not surprised he didn't enjoy all the killing. In fact with all the teens who LOVE all the blood and guts movies I an actually pleased that he enjoys the more uplifting types of entertaining. He LOVED Juno, which really pleased me. He also loved Dan in Real Life. I am glad that he prefers the more uplifting films. There is enough in RL that is depressing Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 8:21 am

See I normally don't like musicals at all.The darker the better for me. My favorite shows are CSI, Lost and Dexter. But my son and I both love funny stuff as well. Any Will Ferrell movie we laugh our heads off. We also love 30 Rick and The Office. My son was actually surprised ST was a muisical. Because at first the ads did not show that. But I've seen the play too so I knew I would like it. My son is a funny and great kid . We just both like dark stuff.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 8:58 am

We like some dark stuff. I love anything with Vampires that is for sure! Justin loved Seven and Fight Club. So he likes some of that stuff. He didn't like "I Am Legend" though for the same reason. Too depressing he said. He hated the ending . I used to always love a good tearjerker. Not so much anymore. Unless it is tears of joy. I really find as I have gotten older and seen more heartache in RL that I seem to avoid the sadder types of shows and movies.

I hope you didn't think I meant that kids who like the darker stuff are not great kids or having a problem or anything because lord knows Eric (my 19 year old) will ONLY go see those types of movies Rolling Eyes I mean he is like "if it doesn't scare the hell out of you why go?" Justin is just a much more lighthearted kid than Eric. Eric has always been my deep and serious child. Justin is just much more of the fun loving type of kid. I think he likes his happy endings. I just find that rather endearing and refreshing in a 16 year old boy. BTW, he adored Edward Scissorhands. So I think he likes his dark movies to also have a little light!
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 9:51 am

Quote :
I hope you didn't think I meant that kids who like the darker stuff are not great kids
Oh no , no I didn't think that.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 10:10 am

On well, I am going to check my theaters today and see if Sweeney is here! Fraz, How cool you got 3 of the nominated film DVD's and get to watch them before the awards! I have'nt seen any of them yet. Embarassed

I like dark stuff. It is one of the many reasons I love Tim Burton's art. All his stuff has a dark perspective, some films more than others. The gore depends on how it is handled. For example: I thought Gladiator was a very violent, gorey flick, but the superb acting and story made me love it anyway. I also love many of the Ridley Scott films. The way he directed the filming of the battle scenes was so surreal and artistic, they were almost beautiful in a horrible sort of way. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 6:25 am

I like Ridley Scott too. You should see American Gangster it is very good. My favorite directors though are The coens and Tim Burton because all of their stuff has a dark edge to it even the funny stuff.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 9:10 am

Viggo is in American Gangster isn't he? I love him too. He is having a run on playing bad guys lately. Do I understand there is a naked fight scene in it? *ears perk up waiting for answer!*
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 9:29 am

If that is the one Justin went to see (and I think it is) there is a nude fight scene, but I don't think Justin enjoyed it as you would Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 10:33 am

Viggo is in Eastern Promises. My former college roomate said he has a huge nude scene in that movie. It is now at the top of my netflix list But I'm sure his acting is wonderful as always Twisted Evil American Gangster is Denzel and Russell Crowe. It is directed by Ridley Scott.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 11:35 am

Believe it or not, I don't think I've seen Sweeney Todd in any form. I guess now I know the ending though! I think it's better I know all the stuff you guys are saying before I see it. My best movie bud won't see it with me because she can't handle the horror stuff like I can.

I am also into the darker stuff. I loves me some Dexter! Big Tim Burton fan.

Abrahammy, I am a fangirl of Johnny's, but I also was not fond of his Willy Wonka. That was so disappointing.

I didn't watch any Goilden Globe stuff. I figured I'd just read about who won later. We can look at it as the writers are holding the shows hostage, or that the powers that be, who refuse to even sit down at the negotiation table, are holding the shows hostage.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 6:08 pm

Aerwin wrote:
Quote :
American Gangster is Denzel and Russell Crowe. It is directed by Ridley Scott.
Thanks for the clarification! I was walking in and out of the room last night during the awards because those journalists from the gossip shows were so lame as presenters...

Eastern Promises eh? Wink I will add that one to my list!

I actually really liked TB's Wonka. Depp's portrayal was bizarre, but I enjoyed it for the fine nuances and peculiarities. I wanted it to be very different than Gene Wilder's . I love Gene Wilder's performance...I don't think anyone will be as perfect in the role as he was.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 8:49 pm

No matter how good a normal movie is (meaning not starring a strong woman as the center of the story), if I watch it at home i have to see it twice, because i wander away. No Country for Old men has earned a second viewing before I comment. It was scary but funny. That is great in my book.

The 3:10 to Yuma was enjoyable, but utterly forgettable for me.

Into the Wild was really compelling. It did not make me feel good, at all...depressing, but that was probably my mood, anyway. I will probably watch it again in a few months.

They also sent me Hairspray, which I had already seen, but It was great fun, so I will watch it again.

Julie Christie in Away from Her, which I also previously seen, was very lovely, mostly because Julie herself is just so exquisitely beautiful. The movie itself is a very gently story about Alzheimers. Unfortunately my experience says that certainly the beginnings of Alzheimers are brutal, not gentle.

But I will watch Julie in anything.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 9:05 pm

Julie won the Golden Globe and there are experts that say they think she has a really good shot at an Oscar for this film. Good for her!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MOVIES! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MOVIES!
Page 9 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next