Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MOVIES!

Go down 
+9
Badger
mishmash
southernbelle
frazzle
Luca
aerwin
firecracker
austin
Green Eyez
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466
Registration date : 2007-04-04

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 10:56 pm

I saw Julie Christie in a movie she did for Sony some years ago called "Afterglow" and she was positively riveting. You could not take your eyes off her when she was on the screen. She's magnificent. She and Helen Mirren prove that a woman "of a certain age" can have a career in Hollywood and not always be cast as the grandmother, but still be considered sexy. Bravo!

I really want to see "No Country". The lady I dogsit for who's 94 and still acting, gets all those academy screeners. I'll be at her place for 11 days in March, so I'm sure I'll be able to catch up on all these movies then!

Speaking of her, she invited me to see "American Gangster" when it was screening where she's staying. I thought it was quite good. Denzel was his usual sexy fine self. If you can't handle violence, this isn't your movie.

Sounds like I'll really dig "No Country".
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 11:14 pm

I have to say really hard core violence in a film is not my cup of tea. Just don't care for it. A touch here and there I can do, but if the entire film is like that, that is not entertainment I truely enjoy. Tongue and cheek killing/horror and gore like what I envision Sweeney to be like is fine. I know that sounds conflicting, but it is hard to explain. The silence of the lambs type horror I find riveting and scary as hell, but good entertainment.

I just don't like war/battle/action movies that focus on the killing, dying scenes again and again. I think I really hate gun shoot out scenes too.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 11:30 pm

I think I'm with you, Luca.

No Country for Old men has much scary sickening violence in it, but the story really is about something more poetic. That is why I liked it (though I do need to watch it again).

The play of Sweeney Todd which I have seen live or video'd many times, is in a whole other league, and those versions had nothing whatsoever to do with real life violence, even though they were cutting people to pieces and making them into meat pies.

I do find myself approaching seeing the TIm Burton version hesitantly. I liked the funniness of the stage versions, and am trepidatious about it being darker and bleaker.

But I will see it, absolutely.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 6:18 am

Quote :
No Country for Old men has much scary sickening violence in it, but the story really is about something more poetic. That is why I liked it (though I do need to watch it again).
That's what I think. If you've ever read Cormac McCarthy his books are indeed violent but certainly poetic. I thought The Coens did a beautiful job. I wish they would direct The Road Cormac's latest book to be a film starriing VIGGO!
Lord I wish I could get screeners. LUCKY! I am STILL waiting on There Will Be Blood to open here.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 8:20 am

I am totally sold on seeing No Country and Sweeney. The serial killer character (forget his name! Embarassed ) looks really intriguing! And I do really like gruesome and poetic. The combination is usually so interesting.

My question is: How long is it going to take for Sweeney to get out to the sticks??????? Shocked
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 8:30 am

I do not like the super gory killing stuff at all No I like to be scared but not grossed out Razz I would like to see Sweeney Todd for JD, but I really have no desire to see those other films at all. I think that fairytale with Patrick Dempsey and Amy Adams is probably more my speed! Especially if they throw in a vampire along with the Prince!!
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 8:41 am

Quote :
The serial killer character (forget his name! )
Chigurh played brilliantly by Javier Bardem. The whole time I was reading the book I was pronouncing the name Sugar. Because I am a dumbass. But I am telling you Chigurh is one of the creepiest killers to come along since Hannibal Lecter. And The way the actor portrays him is unreal . His walk is even creepy.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 10:15 am

I have never seen that actor before, but he is very charming in his interviews and rather handsome when not playing a serial killer Laughing
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 6:50 pm

Aerwin wrote:
Quote :
But I am telling you Chigurh is one of the creepiest killers to come along since Hannibal Lecter. And The way the actor portrays him is unreal . His walk is even creepy
I was stunned and intruiged when I just saw a photo of him in character. He personified creepy and scary just from that! Shocked

He is up for an oscar for his performance right?
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 9:32 pm

Before I saw No Country I thought Javier was the sexiest man alive (outside of Donald Sutherland). I used him as my avator back at Rori's board:

MOVIES! - Page 10 Javierrh4

I will need to see him playing something fabulous and not creepy to get back that feeling.

I think he was much MORE creepy than Hannibal Lecter. Hopkins was a little bit to obviously camp to completely freak me out.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 5:52 am

Javier is a doll. Everytime I've seen him interviewed he is always so happy. I've seen him in several spanish films ans his accent is pretty heavy. So when I heard the Coens had cast him I was surprised. But he more than pulled it off. Did y'all see him last week at the Crtic's Choice Awards? He was asked how he pulled that character of and he said I was pretending to be George Bush. He said Hey I can say that I don't live here. It was funny.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 10:24 pm

Frazzle wrote:
Quote :
Before I saw No Country I thought Javier was the sexiest man alive (outside of Donald Sutherland). I used him as my avator back at Rori's board:

MOVIES! - Page 10 Javierrh4
I will need to see him playing something fabulous and not creepy to get back that feeling.

I think he was much MORE creepy than Hannibal Lecter. Hopkins was a little bit to obviously camp to completely freak me out.
OMG! I remember that Frazz! Shocked I had no idea that was the actor that played Chigurh!!!!
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 5:39 am

I hope to see There Will Be Blood today weather permitting. We are getting more snow. It finally arrived here but I will have to drive an hour to see the movie. But Daniel Day is worth it.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 10:50 am

I saw La Vie en Rose last night. It is a bio pic of Edith Piaf, and the actress won a Golden Globes. It is quite a wonderful movie, and she is fantastic. But I forget her name.... I'll bring it soon.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 11:07 am

Her name is hard to remember. Is she French? I think French. I saw her interviewed the morning after she won (on ET) and she was adorable! In her broken English saying she was going home to celebrate with her family and drink Champagne! Except with she was having difficulty saying Champagne and it was so cute. I was happy for her, even though she was not one of the ones I was rooting for.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 4:19 pm

Marion Cotillard sp? I cannot wait to see this movie. I should have it by this weekend because it is next up in my netflix. Anyway my brother saw the movie and he said she was fantastic.

I saw There Will Be Blood over the weekend. Daniel Day gives an absolutely astounding brilliant performance. This is the first time my son has seen him and I told him beforehand that Daniel Day is one of the greatest actors of our generation. The movie is unforgettable. It is about the corruption of power and the horrors of capitaliism. the score is by Jonnny Greenwood of Radiohead (one of my favorite bands) The score adds much to the characters. At the start of the movie there are new words spoken just Grreenwood's terrific score and DDL's wordless acting.
Paul Dano as the preacher Sunday also turns in a really good performance and he should get a supporting nod . But make no mistake this movie is all Daniel Day's all the time.

I tell ya I love DDL And JD both a lot and both are the most wonderful actors working today. I am very glad I do not have to vote as I would be completely torn.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 8:04 pm

I haven't seen either movies and I would have no problem voting!

Johnny Depp for the win because he is HAWT!! Cool! Interesting! Talented! And has been overlooked enough!! Laughing Laughing DDL has an Oscar already anyway Razz
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 5:18 am

DDL is gorgeous too. We will see but I think he will take it again. Nominations today.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 5:54 am

Yes he is! I know he will win. I said before he has it in the bag from all I have read. Just if I was able to vote I would vote JD I love you Just cause! Laughing

It will be interesting to see if JD gets nominated. A movie reporter for the Chicago Trib thinks he won't because the movie is too bloody scratch That doesn't make any sense to me. I never heard any other critic or journalist say something like that. Anyway, I hope that JD gets nominated. It will be a real disappointment if he doesn't.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 7:17 am

YAY!! He's nominated. My two favs in the whole world. I cannot wait. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the Oscars will be on. PLEASE settle the strike.

But no nom for Sweeney for best pic?? No Tim Burton nomination. NO WAY does Juno deserve a nomination over ST . NO way. I saw both. Juno is very cute. But oscar Worthy?? I beg to differ.
At least my two actors were nominated. I am also thrilled for Javier and Cate Blanchett. I love her. I wanted HBC to get a supporting nod though.
Also Atonement is a perfectly fine movie but I have seen just as good on Masterpiece Theatre. Just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 7:53 am

Well, I am happy for JD, but I say YAY!! For feel good movies like Juno getting recognition! I am happy when it is not just the big budget films and lots of special effects movies that get some credit! Remember Breaking Away or Chariots of Fire? Annie Hall? I LOVE that those kinds of movies that capture hearts can also capture awards. As you know ST disturbed my son, where Juno made him happy. I say YAY for Happy! because as you know I really do not care for all these bloody, killing movies. As a mom all these blood and guts killing movies, TV shows and video games sadden me. It seems all so many young people see anymore No Some of the video games are shocking.

So though Tim Burton is brilliant (though a bit quirky) I think his big day will come, but perhaps in a movie more like Scissorhands or something. I think the love people have right now for Juno just overtook the bloody opera style film this year. Look how long it took for Spielberg to get a best director Oscar. THAT was shocking to me! That's just the way it goes sometimes in Hollywood. Wasn't last year the first Oscar for Scorsese? I am pretty sure it was, and that was also hard to understand. I hope Hollywood always embracing the little movies with heart like Driving Miss Daisy, and Little Miss Sunshine!!

Well, I will have to go check the full list of nominees and hope for the strike to be over so we can have a fun night watching! Too bad we missed JD getting to accept his GG, but hopefully we will see him at the Oscars!!

ETA: EEEKK!! Clooney, Tommy Lee and Viggo!!! I don't care who wins Best Actor because they all are awesome!!!!
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 9:27 am

I still think it is ridculous that Tim Burton and the film did not get nominated. I saw the movies so I am just sayin'. I will be pulling for The Coens and NCFOM. It is not a big budget effects laden film neither is TWBB. BUt oh well. It is crazy how long it took Scorsese and Speilberg to get an award.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 12:01 pm

Well, the writer for the Chicago Trib did the article about the amount of blood in this year's top Oscar contenders. He called it the Blood-O-Meter. He said the ST had the most blood and he really felt it would have an effect on the voters decisions for the nominations. He thought it would keep JD off the list since there were so many other good actors to consider. He was wrong about Depp not getting the nod, but I think he may have been right about the reason the movie didn't get the Best Picture nom, or best director, over the others. Perhaps many of the people voting did not find the movie their cuppa. Who knows why some people feel so strong about a movie while others don't. My son has seen a LOT of gory movies, but never came home as bothered as he did from ST. Not just for the blood but it being depressing. So maybe many of the voters felt depressed after the movie also? Maybe there is jealous toward TB? There were many people who felt that was the case with Spielberg not winning when he was much younger. I know a few months ago people were saying Angelina Jolie was a sure bet to win the Oscar and she didn't even get nominated. Many thought Brad Pitt would get nominated for his work in Jesse James. He didn't. Sean Penn was left out also. Sometimes there are just lots of surprises and snubs.

So, who thinks Cate might make history and win in both the supporting and leading roles? If any actress could - it would be Cate!
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 12:36 pm

Considering the subject matter of ST I see no other way to deal with it. The blood in the movie was so red against the steel background it almost looks loke a painting. I still say it was one of the best of the year. I do think NO Country and There Will be Blood are two of the best films of the year. I usually go to the movies weekly so I saw a lot.

I saw Cate in Elizabeth and she was marvelous. I did not see I'm Not There because it never came around. I would love to see her portray Dylan though.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 1:13 pm

I saw a clip of Cate as Dylan and it was quite good. She sure looked like him in his youth. It is a small part of the movie though from what I have heard. I would like to see that movie. Dylan was a big deal when I was a little girl and through my teens. I believe you that those are wonderful movies. I just don't personally have any interest in them. I would like to see ST just for Depp though. My taste in movies is pretty much more the light hearted type, or many of the old classics. I used to go to the movies every weekend years ago. Then I only went to movies my kids could go to see with me. Then I just started renting movies instead of going to the show - unless it was something like Jurassic Park where the big screen was just more exciting. I understand how you are feeling today. I LOVED all those Spielberg movies that were over looked. I remember being livid when ET and Spielberg didn't win. See ET is my type of movie Laughing Or when Raiders didn't win. I was crazy about those movies!

Actually, I think despite the subject matter in ST it could be handled differently. I was very effected by the stage play and you didn't see all the cutting etc. Hitchcock was great at scaring the pants off of people without showing too much. In Psycho you never see the knife go into Janet Leigh ever and yet that scene was terrifying. It can be done.

Did you see Across America? I am thinking of renting that one. If you did, what did you think of it? What about The Great Debaters?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MOVIES! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MOVIES!
Page 10 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next