Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Politics

Go down 
+7
Badger
Lau
firecracker
aerwin
Green Eyez
abrahammy
frazzle
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 5:59 pm

Quote :
for, but from what there is to choose from I am going for the fresh, young, exciting, charismatic, inexperienced one this time. Charisma and likeability is a very important characteristic for a successful politian to have. As we all know when it comes to getting bills approved in congress and in getting the country behind you, without it you are dead in the water. We have all seen that without it things stagnate and the president is rendered ineffective.

Well, your point of view isn't unpopular with me. That's pretty much the point I was trying to make, but you've summed it up much better. I think that a politician with charisma is essential. I think there's a HUGE difference between "charisma" which Obama has, and some of the people who FC mentioned who are svengali-types. These are people who calculate everything they say to get you riled up in a certain way. I don't see that with Obama. He seems more like a diplomatic type to me. Hillary seems more like a steamroller and so even if she has a good point and she's doing her job well, people will shut her down because she's Hillary. I mean, at this point Bush can have a 10-point logical plan for world peace and we'd tell him to take it and shove it up his hiney.

FC, I understand your point about David. I think we've all seen these kids take some our most beloved songs, strip it of all meaning, and reduce it to a pop ditty. It reminds me of this TV movie. Probably Kirsten Dunst's one and only good performance. She plays a Jewish girl who's at Passover dinner and she's making fun of all the customs, when suddenly she's thrown back in time and she's in a Concentration Camp. By the end you'd better believe she has much more respect. Luca, I am with you about his age not being an excuse, especially if it's one of your signature songs and you're studying to be a singer. It's the only way to hone your craft. You must tell a story with your song. There are too many singers out there with pretty voices. It won't get you far.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 6:45 pm

Ok, back to the politics for a minute... as my head spins around...

Quote :
By the way did you know that both Afghanistan and Iraq have universal health care supplied by the US?
Frazz...what you mentioned about the US funding Universal Healthcare for citizens of Iraq and Afghanistan???? Shocked affraid Please elaborate on this!
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 2:06 am

Dang..I had a multi-paragraph post that vanished.

And I need to go to bed.
The shortest version is this:

I LOVE IT that everybody is trying to get their views heard.
Luca, I found the info about the USA funding health care here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_health_care

I have not done more research yet.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 5:17 am

I am very glad everyone is able to state their opinions . I love it. Hey and FC I live with a staunch republican. Heh. We have many lively discussions in this house to say the least. But I am and always have been independent. I vote for who I I think is best for all concerned. Myself I feel I am very lucky . I live on a farm in Ga. with all my animals that I love and am able to persue my hobbies.But the raon I am so concerned with this country right now is for my son. I want him to be able to have a nice life . At this juncture I am not so sure. We are for sure heading for recession. the price of everything is astrnomical. the state if health care in this country needs help, stat. For instance my own DAd who would only be 65 now btw had heart attacks and two strokes early in his life. My dad worked his ass off his whole life. HE gave us an extremely nice life. Had money put away for retirement. He HAD Insurance. But then when he became ill unfortunately my Mum had to use huge amounts of that money tho help defray HUGE medical bills. I repeat he had insurance.. How is that even remotely fair? That if you becaome ill in this country you could potentially be wiped out?????!!! NO! Something is wrong here people. What if my son does have decent job with insurance and becomes sick? I don't want him to have to face that. I just don't. I had an car accident last summer and had to go the ER . I fought with those lying bastards at the insurance co. for SIX MONTHS to MAKE them pay what was written in black and white that they were obligated to pay. I am sure some people just give up. They are FOR PROFIT company not to help you. So yes I am passionately concerned about this issue.

As far as Bill Clinton goes you have him to thank for part of the reason this economy is in the state it is in now. One word NAFTA! That is why Hilary is trying to dodge the bullett in Ohio right now on this issue . Only 50, 000 jobs have been lost in the state. As far me I live in the south and NAFTA dessimated the textile industry here . Thousands upon thousands still out of work because of it.

Quote :
NAFTA is really an investment agreement. Its core provisions grant foreign investors a remarkable set of new rights and privileges that promote relocation abroad of factories and jobs and the privatization and deregulation of essential services, such as water, energy and health care.

So bottom line is this the next president policies have far reaching consquences longer than the four or eight years they are in office. 14 years later we pay the price for Nafta. Yes I do know we are a global economy now I am not that stupid. But the benefit toi the US concerning Nafta have been virtually nill to us.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 9:13 am

Quote :
So bottom line is this the next president policies have far reaching consquences longer than the four or eight years they are in office. 14 years later we pay the price for Nafta. Yes I do know we are a global economy now I am not that stupid. But the benefit toi the US concerning Nafta have been virtually nill to us.
Excellent point Aerwin. As many mistakes as Bush has made, he did inherit lots of issues from past administrations that have had negative consequences on this country that had not fully unfolded until the last few years. Placing blame for the magnitude of all our problems on one President's actions is just inaccurate.

thanks for the link on Universal Health care Frazz, I quickly scanned it and did not find the reference about the US funding healthcare for Iraq and Afganistan, but will read it more thoroughly later. It looks like an excellent summary of the issues behind Universal Health care.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 10:45 pm

I found the info on the map...it shows all the countries in the world with universal health care and two stand out in bright dark red.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 6:11 am

Will someone please tell me how Hilary won Texas???I am seriuosly miffed. CNN analyzed women came out in droves to vote for her/ Are the freakin voting for her because she is a woman?! Please! People that are worried about the economy are voting for her? Good luck with that. Clinton = Nafta. One of the reasons we are in this boat now. I will say this If see is the Dem nominee McCain wins. Like or not conservatives still have a very loud voice. Obama stands a much better with independents.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 6:31 am

Yes, there are a lot of women voting for Hillary because she is a woman. I am beginning to think that, either by blocking Obama's path to the nomination and muddying him, or fighting to her own nomination and angering half her party, Hillary is going to hand the nation over to McCain and we are going to:

- Stay in the Iraq war. And stay. And stay.
- Try to solve every problem by giving millionaires more tax breaks.
- Drive the deficit to record highs because they refuse to levy any taxes for that damned war they won't get out of.
- Give up on the idea of universal health care forever. Screw sick people who aren't rich.

I am not yet prepared to discuss how horrible the caucus was or how angry I am. I'm going to wait until I calm down. Wasted three hours of my life and I didn't get to caucus because I finally had to go home and put my kids to bed. Evil or Very Mad I am so disappointed and disgusted right now on so many levels...
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 6:33 am

I would love to hear about it after you calm down. I heard on CNN it was soddin mess. Disorganized to say the least. The DNC should know that people are very excited about the election and would turn out in droves.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 6:40 am

Hugs Abrahammy - sounds like you had one tough night Crying or Very sad

I 100% believe a lot of women are voting for Hillary just because they want to see a woman in The White House - and not as a first lady!

I saw it here in Chicago with Jane Burn becoming mayor. I was a very young woman and I WANTED to see a woman in power!! Embarassed and she was a democrat and I didn't care! She was a woman and I wanted to see it happen dammit!!
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 9:41 am

For sure my initial support of Hillary was due, solely, to the fact that she is a woman.

A huge amount of Obama's appeal to everybody, but obviously most particularly to black voters, is that he is black.

It is a sort of necessary affirmative action. The president has been white and a man, every time so far.
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-09

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2008 2:43 pm

Politics of a different sort here - the governor of New York, Elliot Spitzer, has been linked to a prostitution ring. His big thing is that he is against corruption!

Good-bye Elliot!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2008 2:59 pm

WoW! Shocked

See what I mean about not trusting politicians No

There was a big upset here on Saturday. This is Danny Hastert country - as in he is from the next town over from us in this really rural area that has always been republican. The democrat, Bill Foster, won the special election. People are just dying for change. However Foster wants a huge tax increase - like my $14,000 property taxes aren't high enough Rolling Eyes I think I am jumping on that plane to Denmark with Frazz Razz
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2008 10:19 pm

Wow - that's a high property tax.

I've been waiting up to hear if Spitzer resigns tonight. Word is that he will. But so far, nothing. They've already done stories about the Lt. Gov who will take over. He will be the first African American governor in New York.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2008 10:51 pm

Making popcorn.

OK, so the governor of NY, who is one of Hillary's superdelegates, is out, and he's being replaced by an African - American man in the year of the African-American political superstar.

Never a dull moment. Screw American Idol and Survivor, the big Reality Show this year is on CNN - except we not only do we get to vote on it (unless you are trying to caucus in Texas at 9:00 at night and your extremely patient toddler has had enough Evil or Very Mad - I'm STILL incredibly pissed) but the results are important and they actually influence world events. So it, you know, MATTERS who wins, whatever Nader might say.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 7:29 am

Someone Jon Stewart? said this is the reality show to watch not AI. The last debate on MSNBC had 9.4 million viewers. That is huge.

So in Texas do you vote in the primary first then the caucus? I know the delegates split . Obama won the Texas caucuses. In Ga. we only have primaries and you can vote for either party it does not matter how you are registered.
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 7:38 am

Very different voting here in Jersey for our primaries.

If you go to vote, you can only vote for the party affiliation by which you are registered on the books. You can, however, change your party affiliation, but you must do that at least 30 days before the election takes place.

If you are undeclared, you can walk into the polling station and declare a party that day and vote. But then you are on the books with that affiliation unless you change via the process I mentioned above.

New Jersey has Democrat, Republican, and Independent affiliations. So if you actually have an independent affiliation you must file that change of party in order to vote in a primary.

Amazing how different it is in the different states.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 8:50 am

That is interesting Lau.

Yes, our taxes are through the roof! It's based on the value of our home and the size of our lot. Also, we built this home out in the rural farmland area where some developer bought land for the purpose of developing gorgeous upscale communities. Problem was - no schools to support all the new kids. Now more and more neighborhoods are developing and we have no commercial at all! So are taxes just go up and up to cover the 10s of millions that have gone into the 5 new schools, one new HS and additions to the existing HS. Also to development park district facilities and a new library. We've gone from $10,000 to $14,000 in 4 years. Now Bill Foster, the democrat who won on Sat. plans to make them even higher.

Chicago now has the highest taxes in the nation. Also the highest gasoline rate Mad
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 8:04 am

Needing new schools will really bring up a tax rate, FC. Its rough when the school funding is based on the individual town. NJ has tried several times over the years to change that with no success. I think that 80% of my tax bill from the town goes to the schools.

NEWS FLASH - Elliot Spitzer, governor of NY is resigning. Wonder if he got the deal he wants? This is going to stink if he escapes everything.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 7:39 pm

Obama's full speech today on racial issues in America and in his race for President:

Speech
THis is the first time I have found him really of substance, rather than just wishing he would be.

Although he did not propose any specific solutions, this is the first time I believed he actually gets it:
Quote :
This time we want to talk about how the lines in the Emergency Room are filled with whites and blacks and Hispanics who do not have health care; who don't have the power on their own to overcome the special interests in Washington, but who can take them on if we do it together.

This time we want to talk about the shuttered mills that once provided a decent life for men and women of every race, and the homes for sale that once belonged to Americans from every religion, every region, every walk of life. This time we want to talk about the fact that the real problem is not that someone who doesn't look like you might take your job; it's that the corporation you work for will ship it overseas for nothing more than a profit.

Now if he can follow up this speech with some really concrete plans I will campaign for him.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 1:15 am

I spent several hours today while waiting for my car to get its final round of essential repairs in the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf on the Sunset Strip (everybody there is in the biz or a crazy person who thinks they are in the biz. I have only been to that one 3 times, and the first time I saw both Perez Hilton and Masi Oka from Heroes (he smiled at me!). Last time I was there I saw Quentin Tarentino.

Anyway, today there was a crazy professionally Jewish "rocker" guy, Howard Stern type body, long matted hair, probably 50 but still wearing ripped black jeans, gold tipped black cowboy boots, black "wife-beater T, and ostentatiously doing some sort of artwork (but using a ball point pen to do it, same shapes, over and over). As the afternoon went on, he got more vocal and LOUD. To support his various points he kept referring to the "Jews on the Nazi trains", "Jewish Intellectuals" being too chicken shit to fight back and how violence is NEEDED.

He goes up to a 60-70 aged, some Hispanic ancestry, guy, and his 40-ish Filipino girlfriend and starts, with some welcoming from the older guy, ranting about how Obama is a Muslim, in league with Louis Farrakhan who "WE ALL KNOW wants to KILL THE JEWS!!!"

Then he moves on to more standard "anti-industrial complex" talk and Bush who he keeps repeating is a "retard". Has an IQ of "87". "Retard! Retard!"

Over and over he shouted that Bush's "retard IQ of 87" was FACT. He must have shouted that about 20 times.

The Filipino girlfriend finally says to him, in a sincere tone: "So, you have met George Bush personally?"

I felt myself going into an insane laughing fit of horror and humor so I suppressed it as well as I could (the guy was crazy and animated enough to scare me physically) and left, and then stood, out of earshot of the guy, on the street laughing maniacally by myself, most likely making any immediate passers-by think I was similarly crazy.

See, this is the world I live in.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 6:04 am

How bizarre! I used to see similar stuff like that when I worked in downtown Chicago. Even when Rob and I went to see Clay at The Chicago Theater. Guys standing on corners yelling strange political stuff. Some yelling racial stuff. We just keep on walking and don't even look at them. Poor things No
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 12:48 am

Please do see Sicko regarding health care. Yes Michael Moore presents the very left (which I agree with) version of things, but even if you utterly disagree, please see this so we can talk. THis is a free and legal online version
SICKO

Scroll down to the Sicko entry.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 11:40 pm

So, did anybody watch SICKO?
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 6:40 pm

Here's the thing: I know Michael Moore is hated, but our political views totally mesh. I also know it's hard for me to watch his documentaries, because I get real riled up. So, there's my dilemma.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Politics - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Politics
Page 6 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next