Politics

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
AuthorMessage
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:21 am

Look most people that take out a mortgage look to see if they can make the monthly payment . Most people are responsible about it. They probably don't think about subprime. AND not to mention that wages have not risen to match the very high cost of living now . Groceries and Gas. I used to not even consider gas in my budget. Now it is major chunk of money.

AT LEAST Congress is just not writing a blank check to bail out those greedy bastards on Wall Street , I want to make DAMN SURE they do not get their bonuses. HELL TO THE NO! Finally they are doing something the American people want. Listen all of this could have been avoided and that makes me even more furious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
frazzle

Number of posts : 1426
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:59 pm

So now Wamu has been confiscated and taken over...

I have one credit card that has outrageous interest....WAMU.

I have debt on that card from the final several months of not being able to find work.

I looked online at the account today. They have raised the interest rate over the last few days.

What is the worst that can happen if the interest bumps the card up to the max credit limit for me and I can't pay enough to keep it below (the rate is something like 28% as of yesterday).

Do I just let it happen? Do I quit paying because it is pointless?

Seriously, what am I supposed to do?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
frazzle

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:12 am

Even creepier. Keiser Permanente is my new HMO. To set oneslef up on line they ask a bunch of questions...in my case all to do with addresses I might have been "associated" with.

The questions were going back many decades!!!

But the creepy part: after I kept answering that I had not been associated with addresses I really didn't recognize, I realized they might have been addresses of my EX_FUCKING_HUISBAND after he stopped keeping me informed!

The computer programmed deemed me not who I am.

This won't make any difference in real life in terms of services (I belive, but we shall see) but it makes my unable to connect to my own account online. I need online connection.

I will try a number of things to get this straightened out, but HONLY SHIT this is frighteningly controlling and invasive!

Ex-hub is such a jerk to me at this point I doubt he will even supply me with those addresses.

LIFE IS HARD RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
frazzle

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:12 am

Something I profoundly do not understand about mainstream political parties is how they decide on which issues to cling to.

In this economic thing, the wall street bailout, it seems that the more right wing view is that $700 billion is outrageous and we should not do it.

My instincts agree with them.

The Democrats (I do not call them left wing, because in my view there are only centrist Democrats in office) favor it, though they want to add some minor lip service to the regular people who are going to get royally fucked with this deal.

Life would be so much easier if anit-abortionists also opposed the death penalty and paid massive amounts to support the children (and the mothers) of teenaged black and Latino pregnancies, opposed the killing of all people in all wars.

If the pro choice people supported war, death penalty, raping the regular workers, that would be a mindset that also made sense to me.

If the two parties represented those entire ethical issues, I could be enthusiastic about a party.

Thje democrats usually support way more things that will benefit me than the Repubs do.

I swear this is all related to: WHY THE FUCK SHOULD WE BAIL OUT WALL STREET? I cannot find why, though the fact that the people to usually favor positions that fuck me over less (Democrats) are in favor of it makes me keep trying to find out why they support it...

I want the Wall Street and Bank top 5% who have benefited from the conditions that caused this, to go down to my level. At least $700 billion would be released if they simply all stopped getting paid.

How come that is not the solution?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:34 am

Well I must say I am with the Republicans on this. But I am with the Dems on attaching something to the bill to help some of these people out of the mortgage crisis. Look I am pretty stupid but even I can figure that if you help people not to go into foreclosure that is going to help the economy. I The Republicans are syaing they don't see how they can go home and face their constituents for writing those bastards a 700 billion check. I still can't wrap my head around the whole thing. I know the pundits are saying it will make it more difficult to get loans and stuff, but we are already in a recssion so what difference does if we bail them out?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:46 am

Frazz, some suggestions about the CC:

1. There are Credit Consolidation places that set up a payment plan and get the interest rates lowered

OR

2. I know you probably don't want another CC, but if you get one that has a low interest rate if you transfer your balance, they usually at least promise to keep that interest rate for the first year.

I'm trying not to freak out over the state of the economy right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
frazzle

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:13 pm

The debt consolidation places are a rip-off, especially with peple with no obvious future boost in earnings.. I used to work for one part time doing computer stuff.

THE DEBATE IS ON.

My stomach is so very queasy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:42 pm

I did a debt consolidation thing at one time. A non-profit one. They were wonderful and worked with me. I paid off my debt in a few short years, as opposed to the decades it would have taken me. I'll give you the name of the place if you want it.

I had to leave the house and was only able to catch the end of the debate. What did you think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
frazzle

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:44 pm

I doubt Obama won new supporters, however much he makes sense.

I doubt McCain won new supporters, but I bet his smirking and constant disdainful head shaking while Obama was talking will get terrorist fist bumps going for his more ardent supporters.

What effect did the debt consolidation have on your credit rating?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:49 am

Many are saying Obama was mostly on the defensive. That's usually what happens with the Democrats. The Republicans make accusations and instead of coming out on top, the democrats spend all their time defending themselves. Oy. Not John Kerry AGAIN. PLEASE!

You know, it's funny. I had a friend in a lot of debt around the same time I did the debt consolidation. She was worried about her credit rating and didn't do it.

Meanwhile, she's still trying to pay it off, has creditors calling her, has gotten into more debt and ruined her credit rating, I'm sure, much worse than mine.

I have not had to buy anything important, so I don't know and by now it should be wiped off. Should I need to do an important transaction, I'll get my credit report.

Frankly, it all didn't matter to me because I just wanted the debt cleared and I tired of almost my entire payment going towards the interest and not the principal. This way, it was all done in a few years and I actually got to watch my balance go down and then go away completely. It was worth it for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
frazzle

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:09 pm

THanks, GE. I need an excellent credit rating...sodifferent priorities.

Here is some good news, detailed post debate poll by CBS news -- full report:

Quote :
WHO WON THE DEBATE?
(Among uncommitted voters who watched debate)
Obama 39%
McCain 24
Tie 37

THE DEBATE’S EFFECT ON OPINIONS OF THE CANDIDATES
(Among uncommitted voters who watched debate)
Obama McCain
Better 46% 32%
Worse 8 21
No change 46 47
Back to top Go down
View user profile
abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:52 am

Hey, ya'll. Catching up. I have started at my new position and my life is hectic.

I feel like a major Republican this week. I am opposed to the bailout. I think it will cause hyperinflation and completely, permanently destroy the American dollar. For maybe the first time ever, the House Republicans are my heroes.

John McCain is a posturing, duplicitous asshole who staged a series of stunts to try to change the game. He does not know diddle about the economy and his heroic charge back to Washington to... get a photo op pretending to be helpful ... was bullshit.

And Sarah Palin is the stupidest person ever to be up for the job of Vice President. As old and erratic as McCrazy is, this is TERRIFYING.

But then, we may be seeing the end of our Republic, and that is also terrifying. I am not optimistic about anything right now. I think eight years of Dubya may actually be more than our country could take.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:59 pm

I am deeply opposed to this bail out. It is happening though. at least the excs are not getting their Golden Parachutes. But Listen Wall Street has already failed because of deregulation I might add. I just do not see the point . It will put us even deeper in debt than we already are.

As Far as the debate went I thought Obama won on the economy.

Why in the world would I vote for a ticket that for the last eight years has had a record of unprecedented corruption, incompetence , waste and greed?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
frazzle

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:53 pm

I think it is very interesting that three of us plenty libralites are opposed to the bailout. But, yep it is happening.

The one thing some progressives were fighting for was equity for taxpayers (meaning that we get dividends as the companies come back). That did not happen, so we are still subsidizing rich folks.

I imagine they will pay lip service to not giving zillionaire bad CEOs millions of dollars in personal severence pay, and make an example of one or two. The rest will still get their person millions for running their companies into the ground.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
frazzle

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:17 pm

HUH!!! It didn't pass!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:56 pm

Count me in as another one opposed to the bailout. I was shocked it didn't pass. This could get really interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
frazzle

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:42 pm

Well, the Senate passed it.

I know they won't go there, but there are some sensible senators offering different proposals that make a whole lot of sense to me that have to do with having the zillionaires come up with half the $700 billion from their own personal bonuses and zillion dollar incomes.

Like this:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rep-bernie-sanders/dont-make-working-people_b_131070.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
frazzle

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:46 pm

I am taking pictures of my experience of watching the VP debate tonight:

There are captions on the pics if you click one:
http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6366&l=607cb&id=1385178067
Back to top Go down
View user profile
austin

Number of posts : 502

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:13 pm

Classic Frazzle. What a clever idea!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/austin_ambrosia
frazzle

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:33 pm

Hi Austin!

I would love to hear your thought on this debate.

It may take me a day or so to know how I really feel.

I do know that Biden represents many of my ideas and Palin close to none.

I also think she has a killer spirit that comes across as good TV..she makes everything into a battle of good (her) and worthy of humiliation (her opponent).

Issue and policies? Seem to mean nothing to her. She just likes the bloodsport of it all.

In that respect whe came across much better than she has in interviews where killing you opponent (the interviewer) is not cool.

She likes to kill. That is the fun part for her. Grind those things into the sidewalk. Satisfying.

I am very impressed that Biden just kept centering himself and replying to the moderator's questions, rather than to the ferret Palin's goading.

Her story about how she is just like the rest of us with her children (she did not mention the drugs and the teen pregnancy) was so profoundly less heartfelt than Bidon mentioning, truthfully that his wife dying, his children being severely injured, and him being the only parent left in that situation, was a real and true offering of evidence that he knows what genuine loss is.

She kept TELLING us how much like US she is.

She ain't like me.

Biden is not sociologically like me, but he is human and compassionate like me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
austin

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:29 am

I have to say I agree with the majority of your thoughts on the debate.

I so enjoyed when Biden made his points against McCain, and when he then emphasized those points strongly. I just hoped that the average person was getting what he was saying (I would think so), and could see thru Palin's "performance."

I agree that it was a great decision not to go after Palin in the debate. Whether it was Biden's or his handlers, I don't know. But it worked. Although when she came out with some gem, his blinding flash of a smile was a give-away as to what he was really thinking, I think, and how he really could and really wanted to go after her!

At points she definitely reminded me of a robot. You could almost hear the whirring when asked a question. She was much better than she was in the Katie Couric interviews of course. Can you imagine the sessions the past few days where they were dumping this stuff into her head? I wonder if they let her get any sleep?

But because she was programmed, she had to stay on-point at all times. When asked a question she couldn't answer, she just didn't and brought it back to what she wanted to talk about. It wasn't like with Couric where she wouldn't let Palin do that. Couric kept asking the same question until she got some kind of answer, no matter how nonsensical.

I think Salon can say it much better than I can. They have a really good article today that you might want to check out: http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/10/03/palin_biden/
Back to top Go down
austin

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:49 am

I was reading at the Fox News web site (had to see what was going on over there), and found this great comment posted:

Comment by SC.Repub
October 3rd, 2008 at 12:45 pm

I’m a life-long republican and retired USAF Master Sergeant. I must have been watching a different debate than those who believe Sarah actually won this. Did she do OK?, sure. She memorized all the talking points, but left me convinced she really doesn’t have a grasp of the underlying issues.
I wanted to vote for Sen. McCain, but after his VP choice I just can’t do it.
To me I take it as an insult to my intelligence that Sen McCain picked a woman with zero foreign policy experience, and calls her a maverick. You Can’t count proximity to Russia as “Foreign Policy” experience. Using Sarah Palin’s logic, I could put “Brain Surgeon” on my resume, since my next door neighbor is a Doctor.
For me, during these globally unstable times, it’s a matter of National Security to have a VP who could if needed, take over the reins as Commander In Chief. No way could Sarah do that. No way.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Number of posts : 1260

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:25 pm

I thought everyone would get a kick out of this one.........

Back to top Go down
View user profile
frazzle

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:32 pm

I'd say that map sure looks like how her mind works!

I'm going to check out the Salon piece shirtly, but, Austin, I thought you articulated your point of view, beautifully.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: Politics   Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:15 pm

I think it's over.

I've been reading some CONSERVATIVE commentators, and they are giving up in anger and disgust. McCain is becoming unstable, Palin's been a joke, the economy is crashing, and all the way through it Barack Obama has been as cool and thoughtful as a college-educated cucumber with a Phd in political science.

John McCain will not become the President of the United States. Even members of his own party don't have any faith in him, and Palin is... she's insulting.

I am disappointed. For many years now, McCain has been my favorite Republican, but to win the Presidency he finally surrendered all the principles he ever held and became as big a whore as all the rest.

The bailout was the final straw. A lot of genuine Republicans - the ones who ACTUALLY DO think that Big Government should tax as little as they can and stay out of the way as much as possible - are livid about the bailout and McCain did everything but get down on his knees and beg for it. They won't vote for Obama, who also voted for the Bailout, but McCain betrayed them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Politics   

Back to top Go down

Politics
Page 16 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next