Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Politics

Go down 
+7
Badger
Lau
firecracker
aerwin
Green Eyez
abrahammy
frazzle
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 9:53 pm

Quote :
Also, I think what happened is that Florida and Michigan moved up their primaries and as a punishment the DNC stripped them of their delegates.

Yeah, but do you know why the DNC felt that was important to the party? How does it help them to knock out the bumped up primaries?

PS LOL on the reasons for voting for yourself. I might try that too!
Back to top Go down
Badger

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2007-07-24

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 10:06 pm

I think it's a power play type of thing.

You know, as much as I bitch and whine about Obama, the truth is that if 20 years ago you would have said that a major political party in the United States would have as its leading contenders a woman and an African-American man and that a white male politician in that party was running a distant third to them, most people would have laughed or tut-tutted at your idealism. No matter who you're for this election (and I will readily admit the vast majority of people who are for a candidate are for that candidate because they feel (s)he is the best choice) that is a remarkable development.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 11:56 pm

Yep. That's why I will fight for either the woman or the black man. Their positions on issues are considerably more conservative than mine, but either one of them will bring massive emotional change just because they are a woman and a black man. I will fight for either one of them.

Plus, maybe I will be able to get Health Insurance.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 6:11 am

I think Obama has behaved like a gentleman . I absolutely do not think he has played the race card. Itis the Clinton's that keep bringing this up.Did you not hear the snide remark Bill made about jesse Jackson winning in SC? The clintons are usual using their deplorable campaign tactics. And again I beg to consider that Hilary Has taken more pac money from Insurance corps. and pharm companies than ANY other canidate. So the fairy tale here is BILL is that she will do anything to change health care in this country. Please Consider all this when you go into the voting booth.

Also, As far as Hilary and China she voted for favored nation trading status with China despite human rights concerns , and her and Bill were booged down in a scandal involving campaign contributions from the Chinese.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 1:13 am

Clinton & Obama in a debate tonight in L.A.

OK. They were both so much more attractive tonight, as they clearly decided that the enemy was not each other, regarding the issues, while also pointing out, respectfully, and even as affectionately as could be appropriately, how they differ on the issues (which ain't much, really).

My viewpoint, is that everybody ought to vote according to whatever candidate is most likely to make the issues they care about improve. This is why I do kinda understand conservative white married people with children gravitating toward Romney, much though i think he is a lying sleazebag. If my circumstances were different I would still think he was a lying sleazebag, but I might like his policy positions.

BUT... I am a middle aged, approaching old, single artistic woman nearing retirement time as far as the workplace is concerned.

Social Security/health care I can afford/pro arts funding...those are really about it as far as the issues that affect me directly.

None of the candidates of any party, are art supporters, as far as I know.

So, no help there.

Hillary and Obama both get it that people like me need health care, and even though neither may be able to get me health insurance (especially without extra funding for the arts so I could make more), they will both try.

Social Security...YIKES!!! Nobody has an answer for that, but the Republicans all seem to want to just stall or pass the buck. The Democrats both seem committed to finding a way to preserve the money already invested by people like me

The Republicans seem to want to experiment with ways to make people 20 or more years younger than me be able to get Social Security support, eventually.

So I understand people who have money and kids wanting to try that.

I am on my own. It terrifies me knowing that the gigantic chunks of money I have paid out oveer my lifetime might not be able to support me until I die.

I do not have time to amass another bunch of money and experiment regarding possible profits.

Do I think well off families with parents and kids should support me for the rest of my life?

No, actually. That is not the American way, and I have no moral sense that it should be.

But I do have a moral sense that there ought to be some other place where that can happen.

France? A country in Scandinavia? I am seriously looking.

Suggestions are very welcome.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 6:14 am

I think they both handled themselves well. But again the bottom line for me is this: Obama has accepted no pac money and Hilary has. Do you want special interests and lobbyists in Washington looking out for you? I sure as hell don't. Because I can assure they do not have your best interest at heart. BTW I am white middle class , middle age 42???!!! and I am staunchly independent so is my sister.

I could have applauded when Obama said he would have Cspan cover the passing of some of these bills. Then America can see just how lobbyists and special interest work.
Back to top Go down
Badger

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2007-07-24

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 7:54 am

So you're against women's rights, pro-choice, civil rights, the rights of the disabled, the environment and the rights of the poor? Because those are all "special interests" and they (and/or their advocates) have PACs.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 9:20 am

I think anybody running for President is a wheeler-dealer and truth-bender who takes money from anybody who will give it.

If it turns out the money has politically disadvantageous connections, they give it to charity (Obama most recently, Clinton in the past).

Special interest money (from pacs or individuals) is not a deal killer for me in and of itself, since none of them could afford to run if they didn't have that money.

I do like disclosures of which special interests gave how much.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 12:28 pm

I was talking to my good friend, the George Bush Republican. She said they really hope she wins. This confirms what I've been saying. That Hillary is to the Republicans what George Bush is to the Democrats. She agreed.

So, yes, personally I would love Hillary to win, but if she does, we're totally sunk. She's made way too many enemies.

I can't take another 8 years of Republican control. I just can't. I mean, I know I won't hate McCain with the light of a thousand fires like I do Bush, but it's been a horrific 8 years.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 1:07 pm

Badger wrote:
So you're against women's rights, pro-choice, civil rights, the rights of the disabled, the environment and the rights of the poor? Because those are all "special interests" and they (and/or their advocates) have PACs.
Excuse me , but no. I have said this and I will say it again. Do you want someone to clear up the healthcare crisis in this country? Hilary has taken more money from insurance corps than ANY OTHER candidate! Have you had to deal with any insurance companies? They will do everything they can not to pay. And yes I am talking about people that ARE insured. and No I do not want the huge corporations of this country dictating policies. Right now they are. If she is elected it will continue to be so.Her voting record will reflect it.

Also I will not vote for her just because she happens to be a woman. I would be the first in line to vote for a woman with our true best interests at heart and not in the pocket of washington lobbyists.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 3:46 pm

OK, what do you guys make of this?

I was doing some research for my script when I just happened to run across this story.

There's an interesting article about Clay at the bottom of the page, for those who are so inclined.

Ann Coulter backs Hillary for President
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 8:00 pm

I am sure Colter knows that her backing Hillary will help to make sure Hillary loses.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 10:40 pm

They compared her to Britney. I think they're right. I believe she's just a publicity whore who's lost her damn mind. That bitch is certifiable.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 12:53 am

I may change my mind at the last minute, but tonight I am thinking I will vote for Obama tomorrow...only because he is turning out to be the "cool guy". All the cool people are endorsing him.

Why does this matter?

Because John McCain also has coolness.

Hillary, who once had at least a little coolness, has lost it forever with Bill's assholery recently (mind you, Bill as president had a budget surpus! And he at least sort of supported the arts and had far more support for the needy than the Republicans with their trillion dollar deficit do)...

But..cool vs. cool is the only way to go, in terms of winning the actual Presidency. His supporters are rabidly in favor of him, and might just outnumber the racists and anti liberals.

I wish Obama was a real liberal, but at least he is infinitely more liberal than McCain.

Fuckin Robert DeNiro!!!! Coolest of the cool!!! came out for Obama, almost canceling out Oprah, who is a curse, as far as I am concerned.

I hope Obama makes it so I can have health insurance.

And, yet, i have this nagging thought that Obama is not going to do anything to make Health insurance available to me.

This NY Times Opinion column points out why.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 4:50 am

I am voting Obama today. Like GE said the Republicans want Hilary so they can win. I think at this point Obama is the most viable . I really want change. Another Clinton in the white house is not. That will be over 20 years with the same two families running this country. Give someone else a chance.

BTW a celeb endorsement means nothing to me nor does it mean anything to most middle class families.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 6:59 am

Quote :
mind you, Bill as president had a budget surpus! And he at least sort of supported the arts and had far more support for the needy than the Republicans with their trillion dollar deficit do)

Yes, he did. People seem to have forgotten that he was actually a pretty good president - in huge sea of complete disasters. I am inclined to vote for Obama because I believe he will NOT galvanize the Republican party into coming out in droves for McCain, and we've absolutely got to get the Republicans the heck out of the White House, but Hillary Clinton would be a pretty good president and I will be contented if she wins the entire thing. I will be happy - but nervous - if Baruk Kennedy Obama wins. I am not sure how much of this is smoke and mirrors. Hillary, love her or hate her, is what she is, and she's being demonized while he's being canonized. I don't think either is proportional or reasonable.
Quote :

That will be over 20 years with the same two families running this country.

It's not Hillary's fault the Supreme Court elected Dubya, and if they hadn't, this argument would fall apart.

Of course, if the Republicans regain the White House AGAIN I will start examining options to move to China, where all the money is going.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 9:17 am

All the webmastering work has gone to India.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 6:15 pm

Abrahammy, you'll be booking that flight for two. At least while we're whining, we'll have someone else to listen, right?

Frazz is right. If you call tech support, you ain't talking to anyone in the U.S.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 10:18 pm

Well, here it is, Super Tuesday, and I must say I find the closeness of the race between Clinton and Obama pretty exciting.

I'd say McCain really has it nailed for the Republicans.

If Obama and Clinton can avoid slaughtering each other I think that will help which ever one gets nominated.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 4:16 am

I agree. I was talking with my Republican friend tonight and she said she'd be happy voting for Obama or McCain and feels that both will end all the opposition in congress. For the first time in a long time, she and I were able to have a conversation about politics. Very refreshing.

I do think the Obama/Clinton race is very exciting. After talking with my friend tonight, I want Obama to win more than ever.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 6:30 am

Obama won my state Ga. It is still so close between those two. But I do feel what GE stated previously to be true, that Hilary is divisive. I've talked to several people that said that would vote Mc Cain if she gets the nom. I am really hoping Obama gets the nominaton.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 3:24 pm

Well, on the Republican side, Romney's out. I have to say that surprised me - I was not expecting Huckabee to outlast him. Well, that's that. McCain is the nominee. Speculation - Huckabee offered the Veep slot to solidify the ticket and pacify the social conservatives?
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 8:48 pm

I hope so...that will contribute to the Dems really getting out the vote to defeat Huckabee, even if they aren't that against McCain!
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 4:20 am

Huckabee will be the VP nom otherwise Mccain has no chance in the South. I was surprised Huckabee basically took the south. I would not vote for Huckabee but I do agree with his idea to rid this country of IRS.

Last edited by on Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 9:15 am

Aerwin...interesting notion...what is his view of how things that require federal funding get funded if there is no IRS? Even if you cut all the social programs, health care and education, shipped all the poor people to Istanbul, there has to be federal money to pay the federal government workers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Politics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Politics
Page 3 of 19Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next