Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Go down 
+3
firecracker
Luca
frazzle
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.   AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 9:51 pm

This was a pretty good year! I am happy for DDL - very happy, but I did feel a little sad for Johnny Depp Crying or Very sad He so deserves to win an Oscar. Such a good year for the Coens. I am sure Aerwin is dancing all over her house!!
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

PostSubject: Re: AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.   AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 10:23 pm

Johnny will win one one of these days.

I do have to admit that each time I see the clips and he sings in kind of a puny voice for Sweeney Todd, I am put off. Maybe I am just too much of a fan of the music.

On the other hand, I just finished watching Gone Baby Gone. Even running it intermittently while I watched the Oscars, I have to say that it is almost fabulous. The thing that makes it not fabulous is a major role played by a cute actress, Michelle Monaghan, who is just cute and kinda TV. She ruins the momentum of every scene she is in by not bringing the human goods.

But the movie made me a fan, for the second time today, of Casey Affleck, and of Ben Affleck as a director.
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.   AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 11:14 pm

Did anyone see Jon Stewart's opening monologue? I got the time mixed up and missed it and then snoozed through most of the show.....and now I'm awake....
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

PostSubject: Re: AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.   AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 11:56 pm

I believe I saw his opening monologue, though I had heard the Director of the show claim that the shows opening was going to be amazing and not to be missed. I certainly did not see anything amazing, so maybe I missed it. WHat I did see, Jon was charming and funny enough but pretty low key.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.   AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 4:30 am

Hey !! I loved it! I was so happy Marion won and Javier and DDL. Cate will win again. Tilda Swinton is marvelous. And the best part of all. We had an Oscar pool going and I won!! I won 80.00. I only missed two editing and cinematography. So I am the man. I also loved that the song from Once won. What a great sweet little movie.

I watched Gone Baby Gone last week and yes Casey Affleck is one to watch.

I thought Jon Sewart was fun.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965

PostSubject: Re: AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.   AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 6:24 am

Congrats on winning the pool Aerwin! Have fun spending it!

I have the opening taped. I'll watch it later and see what was so amazing about it.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.   AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 6:36 am

Quote :

I do have to admit that each time I see the clips and he sings in kind of a puny voice for Sweeney Todd, I am put off. Maybe I am just too much of a fan of the music.

It's a fair assessment. He does not have powerhouse vocals. I have heard people observe that while Johnny sang perfectly on key, it was his acting of the songs, rather than his voice, that made his performance work.

My feeling, having seen that, is that Johnny's acting was good enough to make Sweeney convincing for me even when it's clear he's not a trained singer. The woman playing Mrs. Potts, however, simply was not up to snuff at all.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.   AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 7:27 am

I 've won three years in a row! I watch all the movies even the supporting performances. But it's not like it is a hardship for me. I love the movies.

I feel that Johnny depp's acting far outweighs the fact that he is not the best singer in the world. The singing in that movie was secondary to me. Still hands down JD gave one of the best performance of the year. Hos oscar will come I'm sure.
I though Helena Bonham Carter was great as Mrs . Lovett . Is she Patti Lupone? Well no. But who is?
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

PostSubject: Re: AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.   AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 8:59 am

Quote :
I feel that Johnny depp's acting far outweighs the fact that he is not the best singer in the world. The singing in that movie was secondary to me
I also enjoyed both Johnny and Helena's singing in ST, much more than I thought I would. In fact, I bought the soundtrack, it should be interesting to hear the singing without the visuals, then I will really be able to be more objective about it. I did find it fitting somehow that they were not world reknowned, powerhouse singers. It let the acting stay in the forefront, and made it more edgy and raw.

Congrats on your win Aerwin! cheers
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.   AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 1:46 pm

Congrats to Aerwin! Very cool win.

I am so far behind on seeing movies this year. Normally I've seen several of the movies up for best picture, this year none. I better get a subscription to Netflix.

Thanks for the comments on Jon Stewart. I looked on youtube this morning but didn't see anything up with his monolog. There's something about him that I just really like.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.   AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AWARDS! Oscars, Grammys SAG, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wizened Women :: Hello, hello :: Acting/Writing/Movies/TV shows-
Jump to: