Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Animals/Pets!

Go down 
+4
Green Eyez
firecracker
frazzle
Luca
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 9:06 pm

Sky, I LOVE those pictures!

I am actually a bit scared of big dogs. Had some traumatic experiences as a kid with a black lab who really was a nice dog, but something set him off and he almost killed and did rip off my little brother's face when he was 3. Doctors reattached it, but it was horrifying. And a gigantic boxer mixed with something even bigger almost got me, another time.

And now, as an adult, big dogs can smell my fear and do not like me much, so I keep my distance.

I like the ones I can pick up with one hand.

That is why I have two little lovebirds.

But I love the stories about all the animals. If only people could be like them!
Back to top Go down
Badger

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 9:29 pm

I think dogs who are raised outside can sometimes be frightened when they come into a house. A lot of times, they don't know how to climb stairs, etc.

My dad's beagles always lived outside but if the weather got too cold, every so often he'd let them stay in our basement. It was so funny cos they'd go crazy barking and baying especially since my dad had his deer head mounted above the couch there.

When my dad first moved out here, there were a couple of barn kittens living in the garage which their standard poodle then a puppy himself adopted. Neither of the cats ever came in the house; they have a heated bed in the garage. One of them disappeared some years ago, but the other is still there. And she still will not set foot in the house. She's very friendly, you can pet her and pick her up, but she won't go in the house. If you open the door, she might stick her nose in, but then she'll run away.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 9:32 pm

Oh Frazz! How horrible for your family!! Crying or Very sad I'm so glad he is OK.

My cousin had her face ripped up good by one of her Dobermans. She had to have several facial surgeries. It took years for the scares to fade.

I like both big and little dogs! We had 3 Poms. They were just precious!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 9:52 pm

Frazz, that is horrible your brother almost died from that dog attack and that you were traumatized from the bad encounter with the boxer. Animals can be unpredictable, especially with kids. That is very cool you still can appreciate them from afar. You are right about the unconditional love and pure joy animals bring into our lives.

Yes, Badger...I think some creatures that have not been acclimated to life indoors can sometimes not feel comfortable in the house. I also think Cole was trained to not go through doorways and was kindly and regularly reprimanded for it and it is somewhat ingrained now. We went into the garage yesterday and I openned the door to my husband's studio and invited him in and he just sat there frozen.

I think I will be able to work with it though. He may be more comfortable being assigned one place in the house that is his and he understands that is where he goes and stays.
Back to top Go down
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 9:59 pm

The thing about a big dog is that they can put a hurt on you without meaning to. My dad's standard poodle is old now so he's pretty skinny but when he was younger, he weighed around 100 pounds. He's a big goofball, but he could knock you down with no problem.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 1260
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 11:33 pm

Cole may be afraid or to timid to enter the house because of slippery floors, or the doorway may seem like a trap to him. My last dog was very comfortable in our house, but got very nervous anywhere else. The Vet's? Oh, what an experience.....3 blocks away and he knew where he was going and would cry and tremble. I'd literally have to drag him in the front door. He was an Old English Sheepdog, so that wasn't an easy task! LOL Once he passed through the interior door to the exam rooms, it was fine. Doors or doorways somehow can be frightening in unfamiliar places. Give Cole time, if you want him inside, he'll learn to trust you and he'll be more comfortable inside.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 11:35 pm

Fraz, how horrible for your brother. I'm glad he is okay. I'm not talking about your brother here, but children have to be watched all the time around dogs, especially big dogs. Almost any person will hit out of defense and dog will bite out of defense or if he feels scared or threatened in any way. It's just so very scary.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 12:08 am

Good point Sky. I think continuing to establish trust will be the key!

It is so great to have other dog/animal lovers and admirers to talk about this new and exciting experience with! I love you
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 3:46 pm

Quote :
Aerwin, what does Halle do when she senses you are going to have an attack?
I guess she senses a change in my breathing pattern but she knows it before I do and rushes to my side and leans into my leg very close. She is always right. And oh Lord I better not cough when I am competing with her she will turn back to check on me.

FC that book is very interesting and scientfic. I am having a hard time remembering what an 11 year old is like Embarassed My son is 16 now and it's hard to think back. I know he was reading Harry Potter and LOTR at that age.

I really good training trick for getting your pup to go up stairs , etc his give him tiny pieces og hot dog or cheese. You could coax him in the dooor that way then reward him and he would know it is ok.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 6:54 pm

OMG have you guys seen this adorable You Tube of this precious kitten?!! Oh I so wish I could have a kitten! cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48oo7Ej7haQ&feature=related
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 7:13 pm

Aerwin wrote:
Quote :
I guess she senses a change in my breathing pattern but she knows it before I do and rushes to my side and leans into my leg very close. She is always right. And oh Lord I better not cough when I am competing with her she will turn back to check on me.

Laughing That is truely amazing and so sweet! I think dogs and horses are incredibly intuitive creatures and apparently some are actually caregivers at heart too! I love you

I need to get some throw rugs and then I will try the treat trick to coax him from the entry mat! Thanks for the tip!

Will have to come back for the Youtube later! Wink
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 8:29 pm

The kitten is so cute.........................
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 8:50 pm

I KNOW!! I just want to kiss it and hug it and I would then be an itching, sneezing, wheezing mess Razz
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 12:12 am

I am the opposite of you, Frazz. I stick my face into every dog's face I see. One time my friend's dog bit me a little on my chin because I touched his ear and there was something wrong with it, so the pain made him bite.

Still, I haven't learned my lesson and continue to want to hug and kiss the dogs.

Then again, I haven't witnessed or been a part of face-ripping-off incidents which sounds scarier than I can even fathom.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 7:00 pm

I never think the animal is responsible for biting.
I do fear animals that are bigger and stronger than me.
I just keep my distance, and admire them from afar.

I wish i did not have a cat allergy, too...they are furry little bundles.

If they were not all inbred and anti-humane I would get one of those little soft mop dogs if I lived in a place where other people could play with it when I am out. Shih Tzu?
Back to top Go down
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 9:20 pm

There are some dogs that can smell cancer.

Have you heard about Oscar the Death Cat?
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 9:22 pm

Ooooh! The lady who takes care of my mom just got a shih-tzu and it is the cutest little thing! I think a family member had one who had puppies, so she didn't get it from some puppy mill or something.

The other lady who takes care of my mom got a chihuahua (I posted the picture in the other thread) and I think it also would be a great dog for you.

I'm allergic to cats too, but that doesn't stop me from holding and petting them. I just can't resist the furry creatures.

The cute chihuahua

Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Oreo3ke9

Last edited by Green Eyez on Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 9:24 pm

Wow, that is an amazing story! Shocked Thanks for bringing that here. It really makes you wonder.
Back to top Go down
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 9:34 pm

You're welcome, firecracker. It's amazing what animals can do.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 5:38 am

I love that cat story! You can always get a cat like this :

Animals/Pets! - Page 2 ZSphynxBarecats

A friend of mine has one and they are sweet even though they look like they come from another planet
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 5:55 am

aerwin wrote:
I love that cat story! You can always get a cat like this :

Animals/Pets! - Page 2 ZSphynxBarecats

A friend of mine has one and they are sweet even though they look like they come from another planet

affraid
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 7:16 am

I'm sure they are good cats, but they aren't in the least cute and cuddly.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 4:03 pm

OK, curses on aerwin for bringing the picture over in the first place and FC for taking it over to the next page!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 4:26 pm

I don't think I could ever fall in love with that cat No He is so scary looking. Maybe they are sweet, but just no. I will wait and hopefully they will come up with some other kind of cat for those of us allergic!

I could go with a robot cat! Have you guys seen that little robot dinosaur that a ton of "adults" have fallen in low with and use as pets? He's amazing and does all sorts of cool stuff. He is about $300 I think. I should see if I can find any info on him.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 6:04 pm

Dinosaur Robot. I saw a report on some news show and this thing is amazing! If they ever make a kitten or a puppy like this I am sooo getting one!

http://www.firststreetonline.com/product.jsp?id=77105&promotion=86072&gclid=CMzLncCwmpICFQGCxwod-hT5-w

Video here! At 1:25 in they start waking him up. He is fasinating!

http://www.demo.com/demonstrators/demo2006/63039.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Animals/Pets!
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wizened Women :: Hello, hello :: Chit-chat, News, Real Life, Get motivated-
Jump to: