Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

American Idol

Go down 
+7
aerwin
Lau
Sky
frazzle
Luca
abrahammy
firecracker
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

American Idol - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 9:22 pm

I KNOW! (tmMonica)

American Idol - Page 2 Simon
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 10:30 pm

I dunno...I've seen worse (almost every performance from every performer in last season of AI). Not that that is saying much. Plus Scott Fatfuck from Bo Bice's season.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 1260
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 11:09 pm

firecracker wrote:
Fanty Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked affraid

The look on Simon's face Laughing Laughing Razz

I was thinking......WTH is that? And......what is she singing because I couldn't understand a word she sang....... The look on Simon's face was priceless!
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Luca wrote:
The breaths that you mention sky, don't really distract me when David A. sings. It does'nt really surprize me that you can't hear it in a recording.

I would have preferred The first time for DC's recording too, I thought he did a beautiful job on that tune myself.

No, it didn't surprise me on his recording. They can do wonders in the recording studio. I just happen to like that song and he did it okay. I wouldn't buy the song or listen to it again though.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 11:16 pm

firecracker wrote:
I KNOW! (tmMonica)

American Idol - Page 2 Simon

That is just way too funny, thanks for bringing it here....

American Idol - Page 2 Lmao_3

Her performance left everyone wondering WTF was that!
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 12:58 am

Love the SiCow pic - his expression got me laughing out loud when I saw it happen.

However, I kind of enjoyed Fanty's performance. New type of sound - let's see where it goes. She was still high energy I guess from doing those couple of shows a week at Color Purple.

I like the way the three contestants each had a segment of the show devoted to them, the vids, a little discussion. I love seeing the hometown visits.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 1:08 am

Out of all of this, the question I have most is:
What do women have to do to win anything?

I am not complaining that a woman didn't win this season, in that I think David Cook is by far the best.

But how is any woman supposed to compete without getting girl support? Ever, in anything? There will always be a cute boy somewhere around.

What must a woman do to GET girl support?

Will girls onlly support petite blond Carrie Underwood girl people?

How did Jordin win last year, given that she wasn't cute, petite and blond?

Girls are POWERFUL! And as far as I can tell, they just do not support women, in any way whatsoever, even though they will turn out to be women , one day.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 5:32 am

I'm confused Frazz scratch 4 of the last 6 winners of AI were girls. This year the boys were better. Simple as that. Maybe girls struggle in other areas of life, but not in the music biz and not on AI.

I actually liked some of Scott performances, especially "Against All Odds". He had a really nice voice.

Lau, that made me laugh! Yes, Fanty had plenty of energy left over since she skipped half her shows in "The Color Purple". The girl's a hot mess in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 6:16 am

I watched Fantasia on youtube and I liked it. I kinda like her. I don't know why. I like Clay although he is most certainly not my regular cuppa. But for some reason he is endearing to me.

I must say I've not watched all season only listened on rickey some, but I've seen all the contestants on Ellen and they all seem cute and capable to me. I think Jason , Carly and Micheal all seem cute . I just don't think this show is going to spit out anymore superstars. JMO. The ratings are down we'll see.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 6:18 am

Quote :
Out of all of this, the question I have most is:
What do women have to do to win anything?

?

Well, they can be the best singer, like Kelly Clarkson. They can be wildly dynamic, expressive performers, like Fantasia. They can be a very commercially viable package of technical excellence and very traditional beauty, like Carrie. Or they can be young, pretty, and have a previous professional relationship with Randy Jackson. That was Jordin's package.

Of the six winners we've had, four were women. Both of the men who have won got overshadowed by somebody who lost to them. That has only happened to Fantasia among the women, and well... an Oscar is hard to compete with, and a very unusual result.

My favorite female this year was Carly. I think everybody would have been much better off if Brooke had been voted off rather than Carly on ALW night. Actually, the heartbreaking, painful truth be told, I think everybody would have been better off if JASON had been voted off rather than Carly on ALW night - and that includes poor Jason. Sad

Are you asking why *our* support was mostly for the guys? In my case, even though I really enjoyed Carly's singing, I was unsettled by the fact that she had had a previous working relationship with Randy Jackson; it smelled like cheating to me, conflict of interest, and predetermined favoritism. After six seasons of watching these people torpedo any contestants who are not the producer's pets, that situation unsettles me whenever it comes up. Jason's a raw, honest singer with unusual emotional depth and vulnerability, and he's a local kid. He's also a genuine amateur.

Observation from the AI4 tour: Carrie had a LOT of support from little girls. LOTS of it. I was surrounded by girls with Care Bear stuff everywhere. Kelly Clarkson had a lot of guuuurl support too, from the concert I attended with her and Clay Aiken on a double bill.
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 7:53 am

I also have no issues with the girl support that we have seen on AI. There have been 4 winners and 2 runners up that were female winners. Seems like the spread is in the ladies favor at this point.

Quote :
I just don't think this show is going to spit out anymore superstars.

This is also something I have been thinking about. With the record industry down on purchases, and so many former Idols running around out there, how long is anyone going to last? The two Davids will receive huge promotion in the next few months and will probably do fine with sales. But what happens when the next season comes along? Notice how the amount of coverage on Daughtry has dropped during this season.

If someone from this show is going to do well in the long run, they will have to work hard and hopefully establish a name for themselves in the industry before the hype dies down.

It will be interesting to see how the tour does this summer. Last year's didn't do all that well.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 7:59 am

I think this tour is going to be HUGE! I bet fast sell-outs. The Davids are extremely popular and loved. Lots of MJ and Jason fans that will go to support them. Yep, I think this is going to be a really successful tour.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 9:17 am

firecracker wrote:
I think this tour is going to be HUGE! I bet fast sell-outs. The Davids are extremely popular and loved. Lots of MJ and Jason fans that will go to support them. Yep, I think this is going to be a really successful tour.
I don't think the tour is not going to be sucessful , it will. All I am saying is I do not think there will be anymore super superstars. I guarandamntee you that the majority of the younger kid's fanbase are tweems and teens. They move on very quickly. Look the ratings are down this year and you can color me surprised if they don't declineeven more next year. I am in no way dissing any of these kid's talent. I am just saying.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 9:28 am

I was responding to Lau's comment about wondering if this season's tour will be successful compared to last season.

I think DC stands a good chance at a successful career. I am already reading many wonderful comments about him from music critics. I do think he is probably the only one with a real chance at a successful recording career. I think others can find work in their niches.

BTW, Simon is really pushing for DC to win. He said Archie has no personality at all.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 9:54 am

No I wasn't asking about why anybody here was rooting for the guys. And not about who the AI powers decide to push.

Just pondering what it takes for a female to get the kinds of obsessive fans the guys have.

Most of the guys, even the early rejects, get fans who are fans pretty much no matter what the guy does.

On most fan boards, and comments posted in articles about AI, the women mostly get criticized (for their looks, wardrobe, too many tears, not enough tears), whereas the guys, if they get criticized, can count on fans to attack the criticizer, no matter what the criticism is.

Last edited by frazzle on Thu May 15, 2008 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 11:20 am

I think, to get obsessive fans, you pretty much have to either be somebody the fan wants to be, or be somebody the fan wants to fantasize about. For instance, I know the big tween hits with girls right now are Miley and the Jonas Brothers. Miley is the girl they wish they were; the Jonas Brothers are fantasy boyfriends.

My evaluation of these kid's chance of success:
- David Cook will be HUGE for a year or two, unless his original music turns out to be something amazing. If he turns out to be a genuinely gifted composer, his career will outlast the Idol trappings. If not, he will take his millions and go home. I see Daughtry type trajectory for him.

- Archie. Yikes. Best case scenario - makes a killing with Disney. Tells dad to shove it. Takes his millions, goes to college and figures out what he really wants to do with his life. Worst case scenario - drug problems and a lot of intensive therapy.

- Syesha - Best case scenario- finds lots of work in theatre. Worst case scenario - finds a little work in theatre.

- Jason - Best case scenario - Signs with an indie and makes enjoyable folksie stuff that sells well enough for him to make a comfortable living. Plays lots of small venues and festivals. Is happy. Does not become a big star, but lives for and by his music for the rest of his life. Worst case scenario from a show business point of view: because of the AI character assassination currently taking place, all labels regard him as a lazy stoner. Cannot get a contract. Goes back to school, finishes his degree, and runs around the third world building housing for the poor like he did before. Performs occasional small local gigs for the love of it. Marries that girl and is happy.

Brooke - Performs small local gigs. Becomes a music teacher.

Carly - The second heavily promoted album also flops.

Kristy Lee Cook - Joins the assembly line of AI country castoff in Nashville.

Michael Johns - Wafts around multimedia opportunities like Constantine does and makes a living; hopefully handles conflict with more grace.

Everybody below Michael is going back to their day jobs, except possibly Danny Noriega. He works on becoming a camp icon for gay teenagers.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 11:23 am

LOL! Excellent assessment, abrahammy.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 11:57 am

Yeah, but a bit sad. I hope all the top 10 find what makes them happy and healthy! I think Jason's life sounds pretty sweet! Wife, help poor folks and sing for fun! I think he'll take that!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 12:42 pm

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2008/05/on...ne--1.html#more

Quote :
"When Archie's name was read, his family stood to applaud. When David Cook's name was read, the entire room erupted into pandemonium, my entire row leaping to its feet as one. Andrew Cook started sobbing so loudly his sniffles were audible from 30 feet away, and he wrapped Luke Menard in a big ol' hug as Syesha began her farewell song. Tragically, despite my attempts to be nice to this family tonight, I cannot help but note that — in an echo of his behavior from Tuesday — Jeff Archuleta was the only non-judge within my line of sight who did not stand as Ms. Mercado belted out "If I Ain't Got You." Chikezie was pumping his fist in the air, the Swaybots™ were swaying, even Andrew Lloyd Webber was up and rockin' it. But Jeff Archuleta? Nope."
Back to top Go down
Badger

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 2:48 pm

That doesn't say much for Dadchuleta, does it? I don't think David A. will have much of a career until he's able to get away from his father. If he can, I see him having a Josh Groban type career when he's in his twenties.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 3:28 pm

It is sad and petty, but besides wanting DC to win because he is my fave, I hope DC wins just to piss DadArchie the hell off big time! I bet he acts super rude to the Cooks if DC wins too. However, I bet the Cooks will be lovely to Archie if he wins. They seem like good folk.

I don't know what kind of career Archie can have while he has the rep of the kid with a Godzilla for a dad. Poor thing.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 3:52 pm

Bringing this from The Clack House:

From Rickey.org, this week's iTunes report: http://www.rickey.org/?p=7917

Among current Idol contestants, Cookie has an astounding 10 of the top 11 singles, with Archie's first entry at #9. Cookie also has 2 of the top 20 downloads in the regular singles' chart, which I haven't figured out how to get and this is data Idol doesn't want folks to know, but Rickey has it figured out. Cookie is #6 with "Don't Want to Miss a Thing," and #18 with "Always Be My Baby." Rickey's an Archie fan, big time, so bless him for providing the info anyway.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 8:02 pm

Speaking of dreadlocks, here is my pal Ralf, of the band Suicide Holiday:
American Idol - Page 2 Ralfkg7
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 8:03 pm

That's a lot of hair! Shocked
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 8:12 pm

I have been close enough to smell him..the hair looks like skunk tails, but smells purty. I think he adds a few lengths a month.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

American Idol
Page 2 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next