Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

OLYMPICS

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426
Registration date : 2007-04-04

OLYMPICS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS   OLYMPICS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 9:19 am

Phelps is a very big deal in sports history, I agree.

The way they kept stopping gymnastics to show him was mostly just bad TV. They could have cared out a larger chunk all at once to show him.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

OLYMPICS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS   OLYMPICS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 11:59 pm

Anybody know the song and singer they have on the Olympics commercial for the upcoming energy efficient GM car?
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

OLYMPICS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS   OLYMPICS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 1:53 am

And then, tonight, still going on where I am, the men's gymnastics.
Every single one of them, from all the countries they are showing, look as though they can hardly walk or stand.

Something about this year's gymnastics, men's and women's, seems just wrong, as though evil Hollywood types from many countries (not necessarily USA...just money grubbing producers), are sadistically changing rules and causing even the brilliant ones to be so run down they actually cannot do what they do, let alone do it brilliantly.

How this will make anybody more money is beyond me.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

OLYMPICS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS   OLYMPICS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 2:09 am

I found out the singer and song behind the GM energy efficient car(s)

The Story, Brandi Carlile

Her myspace with the song:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=16526200
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

OLYMPICS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS   OLYMPICS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 8:18 pm

About five minutes ago as I write, a 41 year old woman named Dana Torres just got a silver medal in swimming.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

OLYMPICS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS   OLYMPICS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 11:21 pm

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

OLYMPICS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS   OLYMPICS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 12:41 am

Another thing I love about the Olympics, in addition to the fact that they bring global politics into the present focus, thus making protests get more attention which is great in my book, they also show on TV people who do not necessarily mass muster as what the world considers visually attractive most of the time.

Watching the women's gymnastics I got reminded through all the extreme closeups of how horrible Hollywood would have been to them if they did not actually DO extraordinary things.

Now some of them are just ridiculously gorgeous as well as spectacularly talented and skilled (mostly the female swimmers, this year), but many others really just look like normal people with bodies that are developed finely, one way or another.

The all-around gold medal winner, Nastia, is the best example (Sean Johnson and most of the Chinese girls are just plain cute, which would still get them rejected in Hollywood, but not so much by fans)...Nastia has an adorable-to-me sour puss most of the time. If she were on American Idol she would be almost universally hated. But there she is, just having a naturally sour expres​sion(just how her face is built) and people worldwide are cheering her and girls are wanting to be like her.

I think that might even be greater for women's future in this world 9tiny steps) than the gloriousness of the grown up woman doing so well.

My own personal glee is for the grown-ups, but I am enjoying confronting my knee-jerk stupid dislike of the ones whose faces don't delight me the way TV star faces are supposed to.

The deal is different for men.

You can look like Michael Phelps and everybody will adore you anyway.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

OLYMPICS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS   OLYMPICS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 1:55 am

Quote :

No, I think you pretty much need to swim like a dolphin and have a bod like a god to get props when you look like Phelps. Apparently he got all KINDS of shit before he became the best swimmer in the world. I don't think, barring the Olympic triumph, he'd get anywhere in Hollywood unless he was REALLY funny.

What I do think is pretty funny is that now, thanks to the Olympics and the fact that he's got rock-hard abs, he has been declared gorgeous on a lot of message boards. He's got to be LOVING that.

Hey, what did you think about the 41 year old silver medal swimmer??!!!
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

OLYMPICS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS   OLYMPICS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 2:09 am

I did the quotes wrong, and put my responses, except the last one, inside the quote box.

abrahammy wrote:
Quote :
Quote :

No, I think you pretty much need to swim like a dolphin and have a bod like a god to get props when you look like Phelps. Apparently he got all KINDS of shit before he became the best swimmer in the world. I don't think, barring the Olympic triumph, he'd get anywhere in Hollywood unless he was REALLY funny.

Yeah, that is actually what I meant...if a man does things well enough, eventually even hollywood and regular people go for it. All the geek boys eventually get accepted because they can DO THINGS.

Quote :
What I do think is pretty funny is that now, thanks to the Olympics and the fact that he's got rock-hard abs, he has been declared gorgeous on a lot of message boards. He's got to be LOVING that.

Quote :
Hey, what did you think about the 41 year old silver medal swimmer??!!!

On Dara Torres, she was who i meant most of all about glorious grownups, #1, and just inherently insanely gorgeous, even in a TV way.

She is just spectacular.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

OLYMPICS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OLYMPICS   OLYMPICS - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OLYMPICS
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wizened Women :: Hello, hello :: Acting/Writing/Movies/TV shows-
Jump to: