Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Career and school - you're never too old, right?

Go down 
+2
firecracker
austin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
austin

austin

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Career and school - you're never too old, right? Empty
PostSubject: Career and school - you're never too old, right?   Career and school - you're never too old, right? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2007 10:43 am

I have not really held a paying job in over 12 years. Done a little deposition summarizing (used to be a legal assistant), and have done some work for my brother (helping to get him access into events where he could take pix), but nothing steady. I have done A LOT of volunteer work over the years. Putting on events for different organizations, etc.

Now that my kids aren't as little, I've been wanting to find something to make a little money and also to keep me out of trouble (you know like flying around the country following reality show contestants, that kind of stuff). BUT I don't want to work in a law firm and I don't really want to work in a customer service environment (other experience), and I don't want to work in a dept. store.

They say to do what you love. I love music. SO, I have found that this being Austin, our local community college has a degree program in Commercial Music Management. I am thinking of entering and may take my first class "Survey of the Music Business" starting in May. I'm a little excited. I just got off the phone with the head of the department and we had a really good conversation. He's also Jewish (not that it mattters, it was just kind of interesting), and he's actually older than I am and he was very easy to talk to. He used to be a manager of punk-rock bands way back when.

Our college is very inexpensive. A 3-credit class if you're in district is only about $150. I probably have half the credits needed for the AA degree already since I have a BA in Business Management.

I'll let you know if I decide to do it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/austin_ambrosia
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965

PostSubject: Re: Career and school - you're never too old, right?   Career and school - you're never too old, right? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2007 10:59 am

I think that sounds wonderful Austin! I really hope you do it. Best of luck to you!
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Career and school - you're never too old, right?   Career and school - you're never too old, right? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 5:51 am

I've started a Spanish class. Online. But so far so good. I decided I for sure need to learn a second language.
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

PostSubject: Re: Career and school - you're never too old, right?   Career and school - you're never too old, right? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 7:24 am

I used to know Spanish pretty well (lived in Miami from 10 until 19). But a lot of it has gone away. One definite thing - it's easier to learn than I'm sure English is!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Career and school - you're never too old, right?   Career and school - you're never too old, right? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 8:08 am

Good for you Aerwin!!
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: Career and school - you're never too old, right?   Career and school - you're never too old, right? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 9:15 pm

Austin, that sounds like a really neat idea. Go for it!
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

PostSubject: Re: Career and school - you're never too old, right?   Career and school - you're never too old, right? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 9:26 pm

Yeah, everyone who knows me around here says it seems like a perfect match. The only real problem will be actually obtaining gainful employment after I'm done. I think I'm going to start volunteering at events to get some experience. I will start with the Austin City Limits Fest in September - the volunteer apps are available June 1st.

I've always wanted to volunteer at SXSW, but it's always the week of spring break, so with relatively young kids it's hard to do. But they're getting older. Of course I WENT to SXSW for 3 straight days/nights, but that was on the weekend. The volunteering would be during the week probably.

Gotta go look for my college transcripts. They're probably yellowed and cracking by now.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Career and school - you're never too old, right?   Career and school - you're never too old, right? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2007 12:45 am

OK, so I FINISHED THE SCRIPT and a few days ahead of deadline at that! I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself.

I have been telling myself I'm too old to start this now, but like Frazz says, you're never too old to pursue your dreams.

I want to thank Frazz for giving me one of THE funniest scenes in my movie. It was literally the turning point for me and what helped make my lead character 3-dimensional and someone people would cheer for.

I'm very proud of my script and I'm hoping and praying I make the finals, because they say that since this is such a prestigious contest, the agents start calling at that point. My friend said getting into the finals was enough to get her representation.

So, please wish me luck with my wonderful romantic comedy and here's to one day all of us sitting in a darkened theater, and watching it on a huge screen.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

PostSubject: Re: Career and school - you're never too old, right?   Career and school - you're never too old, right? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2007 1:24 am

Green Eyez wrote:
OK, so I FINISHED THE SCRIPT and a few days ahead of deadline at that! I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself.

YAY FOR GE
finishing the script! I am glad I was able to help in any way whatsoever. I am so excited for you!!!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Career and school - you're never too old, right?   Career and school - you're never too old, right? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2007 6:37 am

Congrats on finishing the script GE!!!!! cheers bounce

I am excited for you and I wish you all the luck in the world!! I have all my fingers and toes crossed for you to win!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

PostSubject: Re: Career and school - you're never too old, right?   Career and school - you're never too old, right? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2007 6:54 am

Mazel Tov! Congratulations! Buena suerte!

I am very happy for you. What an accomplishment. Yay!

bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Career and school - you're never too old, right?   Career and school - you're never too old, right? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2007 11:57 am

THANKS GUYS! I really appreciate the support and love. I have been saying this is my year. My mom even said she felt that this was my year.

So, here's to my year and being able to share my happiness and good times with people I care about. I promise not to go too Hollywood.
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

PostSubject: Re: Career and school - you're never too old, right?   Career and school - you're never too old, right? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2007 10:12 pm

I can't remember if I wrote about this somewhere else on this board, but, anyway, after doing the on-line app a couple of weeks ago, I finally visited the branch of the college that is very close to my house. I dropped off my residency form and then spoke to an advisor for a minute. I need to get my transcripts in. I can't actually register for the class until May 7th. But it looks like I'm going to do it. DH says he will help with camp pick-ups, but I will have to work on that also because he won't be able to do everything.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Career and school - you're never too old, right?   Career and school - you're never too old, right? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 6:05 am

That's wonderful Austin! I am so excited for you! I think you are going to do amazing in this field!
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Career and school - you're never too old, right?   Career and school - you're never too old, right? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 4:41 pm

Congrats Austin! Keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Career and school - you're never too old, right?   Career and school - you're never too old, right? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Career and school - you're never too old, right?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wizened Women :: Hello, hello :: Chit-chat, News, Real Life, Get motivated-
Jump to: