Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

In the News

Go down 
+9
aerwin
Luca
abrahammy
Green Eyez
austin
firecracker
Janice
frazzle
Admin
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466
Registration date : 2007-04-04

In the News - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 11:18 am

I was coming in here to tell you guys about Owen. I can't believe it! I mean, the way he's portrayed is as a lothario where he leaves the women. I guess that's not right. I can't believe how much pain he has to cover up.

You know, this is proof that you can have everything and still feel totally empty inside.

I thought he was closer to his brothers than this. I mean, I know guys are trained not to talk about their feelings, but it would seem to me before you slit your wrists that you would tell someone close to you just how seriously depressed you are.

I remember a short time ago when I heard Richard Jeni committed suicide. I just couldn't believe it. I really liked him. I'm glad Owen wasn't as successful.

I enjoy him in his movies and I really hope he gets the help he obviously desperately needs.
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

Number of posts : 502

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 2:27 pm

Yes, sad. Some people are saying that it wasn't a suicide attempt though, that it was a heroin overdose (there had been many rumors in the past couple years that he was on heroin). That it was better to say it was suicide rather than admit he was a junkie.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/austin_ambrosia
austin

austin

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 2:27 pm

This is my quote of the day thanks to Miss Teen South Carolina:

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some [this is the point where her eyes go wide and she seems to realize the trouble she's in ] ... people out there in our nation don't have maps and uh, I believe that our, ah, education like such as in South Africa, and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uh, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., or should help South Africa, it should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for our children."
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 3:21 pm

Oh Austin, I saw that live. I couldn't believe my ears No I watched it again on You Tube just to make sure it was as bad as I thought at the time. It was worse. I can't even watch it again. It is too painful. I bet the girl just wants to die. I heard that she was going to be on The Today Show to give a better answer Rolling Eyes I didn't care for her during the pageant. She really seemed to think she was "all that". I wanted Colorado to win and she did cheers Talk about a truly lovely girl.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 7:37 pm

Oh how pitiless the web is! That beauty pageant girl...ah well.

As for Owen...he supposedly did cut his wrist, so it wasn't just an accidental heroin overdose.

I dunno which is worse for him as a human, in any case...heroin addict or suicidal depressive....neither one has a great outlook. I think he is very funny in his roles as an actor, and I sure hope he heals from whatever it is that plagues him.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 10:50 pm

I totally agree, Frazz. I think he did two methods at once, and one of them was cutting his wrists.

Both of those do not have a good outlook. You look at a guy like that and think he has the world by the tail. It really is too bad. I think I heard he has 5 movies coming out soon. FIVE. Usually you hear about this stuff when the career is gone. No more glory.

I do hope he rebounds. Now that his family has been alerted, I'm sure they'll see to him getting the help he needs. Kate Hudson may have been the straw that broke the camel's back, but this obviously has been something that's been brewing inside him for some time.

That beauty pageant thing is totally famous now. Millions of hits on YOUTUBE. I saw her revised answer on The Today Show and she still seemed just incredibly vapid. Like someone coached her. Still, her answer wasn't all that impressive, in that she concentrated on not knowing geography, as opposed to the sad state of the American educational system as a whole.
Back to top Go down
Badger

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 12:54 pm

Actually, I've also heard that he was despondent not over Kate Hudson but over the loss of a close friendship with someone else. Some people are saying it's Ben Stiller. It was one of those deals where someone gets married and has kids and you no longer have much in common with your single friends.

I took a class in high school called "Recent World Crises" where we spent the better part of the first semester learning where all the countries of the world were and their capitals.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 1:13 pm

I could not believe it about Owen Wilson. He has made me laugh so much in his movies I just assumed he was a happy go lucky carefree guy. I do hope he recovers. He is young so maybe he will be okay. His family seems to be there for him.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2007 12:11 am

Sex scandals and politicians.

It never dawned on me to wonder before, but what is illegal about a man in an airport bathroom signaling under the stall door that he wants sex?
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2007 5:49 am

I heard something about it being against the law to openly solicit sex because it can make the bathroom unsafe for children. I don't know what the actual law is. Apparently that particular bathroom has become a well-known pick-up spot.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2007 8:34 am

I think Austin is right about that.

Several here know that I live in the little town of Sugar Grove, IL. I am posting a link to a story in the newspaper of what happened Saturday in Elgin, IL (about 45 mins. away from us) during a football game for second graders. Since we are such a small town it was hard to find another league for the little footballers to play so our area joined up with the Elgin area.

1 of my daycare boys was on the football field at the time (his mom is one of my best friends) and two others and their parents were there to watch their older siblings play.

My good friend Lisa ran out onto the field and laid on top of Zack while other parents did the same. One of the moms' cars has bullet holes in it and is still in Elgin. Very scary stuff.

The Mayor of Elgin's quotes in this story are laughable to me as I have known all too well about gang problems in that town as we used to live closer to it and hubby had customers there. I do not blame our Sugar Grove league at all for cancelling the games they were to play there. How do you take your 7 year old back to that park after what they experienced?? No way in hell I would have let my son play there again.

Anyway, just another reminder of the scary world we live in!

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/couriernews/news/551174,3_1_EL11_A1SHOOTING_S1.article
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2007 1:56 pm

Yikes, very scary, indeed.

Regarding whatshisname the politician, I guess in my mind I was thinking that the signal took place, and that they'd go find an alley (see? Constantine taught me something). I wasn't picturing that the guy would have sex in a bathroom that kids would be coming in to.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2007 6:30 pm

This is what George Michael got dinged for as well. Both incidents took place in bathrooms where this goes down (you'll pardon the expression) quite frequently, which is why officers where there.

I, too, wondered why it was illegal. That is interesting. If it's in a bathroom, and they're signaling, I would imagine that they have sex in the bathroom.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2007 7:30 pm

I would certainly be grossed out if people were having sex (any version of a couple or more) in a bathroom I came into to pee, but I don't quite get why signaling to do it but not doing it would be illegal.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 3:24 pm

I think I heard on Court TV today that they're beginning to debate just that.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2007 2:24 am

I love this, which I just discovered on the Yahoo home page:

CATS LIKE ALLERGIC PEOPLE

Quote :

Having Company? Guess Which Guest Kitty Will Like Best ...
Posted Fri, Aug 03, 2007, 10:00 am PDT

Does your cat always seem to end up in the lap of the one visitor to your home who's allergic? Or maybe it's the one visitor who doesn't like cats? Why is it that, very often, your cat-loving visitors get passed over for the one person who doesn't want to interact with Fluffy?

Most cats are friendly to everyone who comes through the front door, but other cats are very concerned with potential territorial intrusion. These cats don't necessarily want somebody barging right over to pick them up and interact. So while your cat-loving visitors may be just trying to be friendly, the act of reaching down to pet or pick up your cat before the cat's had time to investigate this unfamiliar person can cause your cat to back away.

The cat-avoiding visitor, however, makes no move toward the cat, and usually avoids eye contact. That may actually allow the kitty to feel comfortable enough to come closer for an investigation of this stranger. As the cat inches closer to sniff the visitor's shoes, the visitor makes no overtures. This is another indication to the cat that there is no immediate threat. The cat may then jump onto the couch, sit next to the visitor, and continue to check her or him out.

If YOU have a cat who's suspicious of strangers, tell your guests to let the cat set the pace! As always, it's just at matter of looking at things from your cat's point of view, and learning to ... Think Like a Cat!

I am violently allergic to cats, I get hives even hugging somebody who lives with them. but they love me. I like them fine, and wish i did not have the allergy, but I do.

This is so sickeningly like men who are the non-married-for-a-long-time type.

They only like the allergic ones.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2007 7:01 am

That is so funny! I am also, sadly, very allergic to cats. Often I can not even visit people with them. When I have their cats always jump on me and hang with me causing me to have to leave. Now I know why!
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 4:36 pm

OMG! I'm allergic and they always jump in my lap while other people want them to do it! I did think this was possibly the reason. Thanks for clearing that up.

I do pet them. I can't help it. As long as I don't touch my face or eyes and immediately wash my hands, I'm OK. If they're an indoor cat, even better.

I had/have a friend when I was in highschool. She had a few outdoor cats that she kept in her room. One day I was in there and I got hives and my throat started to close up and got really scratchy. Haven't had a bad incident like that since, because I'm very careful about washing my hands.

I agree that they're like men. Ignore them and all they wanna do is sniff around. Hmmm...and they say cats are like women. Guess not!
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 6:45 am

OK, this rocks. I squealed in delight when I heard.

In 2000, George W. Bush stole the Presidential election from Al Gore. He thereby won the right to become the scourge and embarrassment of the entire planet and the worst president in US history. Among the things he sucks at: handling the environment.

In 2006 Al Gore won an Oscar for An Inconvenient Truth.

In 2007... Al Gore won... the Nobel Peace Prize for the same work.

http://voanews.com/english/2007-10-12-voa7.cfm

It's all about Karma, baby.
Back to top Go down
Badger

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 11:39 am

Gore did not win an Oscar. He was the narrator of the movie, not the producer. It would not surprise me if the actual winner did give Gore his statuette just as he designated Gore to give the acceptance speech.

YEAH!!! for the Nobel Prize though. Well-deserved. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 8:32 pm

Try this really interesting link to find out who your dream President really is.

http://www.wqad.com/Global/link.asp?L=259460
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2007 8:57 am

According to that survey, my candidate is Chris Dodd. I barely know who he is! After that Dennis Kucinich, Hillary, Barack, and Joe Biden are tied.
Back to top Go down
Badger

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2007 4:46 pm

I got Chris Dodd too! FYI, he's a senator from Connecticut. His father was also a United States Senator and was one of the prosecutors at the Nuremburg trials.

Interesting trivia: He used to date Bianca Jagger who seems to have a thing for Democratic politicians - she had a long relationship with former New Jersey Senator Bob Toracelli.

Last edited by on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2007 5:50 pm

Mitt Romney for me elephant
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2007 3:09 am

I got Chris Dodd, too! Now i will have to find out more about him.

Romney is 3rd from last on my list. Fred Thompson is dead last.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

In the News
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next