Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Concert Recaps

Go down 
+4
frazzle
firecracker
Sky
Luca
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 1:53 pm

Had to share my dream of a lifetime concert experience last night at The Police/Elvis Costello and the Imposters show. Did'nt get many good concert shots because I am not in professional photographer league by any stretch, but will share the decent ones I got. Sting mentioned there were 12,000 people at the show last night! Shocked

Definitely one of the most amazing concert experiences of my life. I will let a review from another show in Texas summarize what I experienced since this person describes what I experienced in words better than I could.
Quote :
May 22, 2008
The Police/Elvis Costello: Every little thing they do is magic
by Robert Philpot
rphilpot@star-telegram.com
DALLAS _ Near the reviewers' seats during the Police concert at Superpages.com Center on Wednesday were several young people dancing giddily throughout the show, including one guy who seemed to have learned all his moves from the Don't Stand So Close to Me video, which he replicated with abandon.

It was a little distracting, but why complain? After all, isn't this supposed to be part of what concerts are all about -- losing yourself to the music, letting it possess you a little? And it's hard not to get caught up when Stewart Copeland hits that drumbeat that signals the big tempo change in Wrapped Around Your Finger or Andy Summers launches a screaming guitar-solo blitz during When the World is Running Down, You Make the Best of What's Still Around or Sting exhorts you to sing along with his "yeahs" and "ee-yos" or when the whole band punches into overdrive on Can't Stand Losing You.

Given the receptive crowd, Sting probably could have sung the ingredients on a candy-bar wrapper and had complete audience control, but he and his bandmates weren't about to coast. Seeming relaxed and loose, they took a (mostly) straightforward approach to big hits like Every Little Thing She Does is Magic and Every Breath You Take (although Roxanne got a nice stretched-out treatment), saving the change-ups for deeper cuts such as Demolition Man and World is Running Down.

As always, Copeland was a combination of power and finesse, while Summers let loose several machine-gun solos. Sting's voice was, if anything, richer than it was when these songs were in the prime more than 25 years ago. It's a neat trick to take a reunion tour on its second stop through Dallas and not make it feel like a nostalgia act.

Speaking of rich voices, Elvis Costello's was in fine form for his nearly hour-long opening set with the Imposters, which was highlighted by Sting coming out to help Costello sing Alison, a surprisingly good meshing of disparate voices.

Costello and his band -- the ever-versatile keyboardist Steve Nieve, muscular drummer Pete Thomas and reliable vocalist/bassist Davey Faragher -- followed their usual recipe of combining new stuff (unfailingly picking the best cuts from the brand-new Momofuku) with Costello war horses (Alison, Watching the Detectives) and the occasional surprise (the 1983 hit Every Day I Write the Book; Clubland, the lead track from 1981's Trust).

But it must be a little frustrating for Costello, who has headlined North Texas shows many times, to be an opener, even if it does get his songs in front of a larger crowd than he usually plays to. By the end of his set, as he did extended versions of Watching the Detectives and (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding, you got the feeling that he didn't want to leave. Wonder if he went and jammed somewhere after the show?

Robert Philpot, 817-390-7872

Now I will proceed with my photos.
We got to the Gorge Amphitheater about 3 hours before the show started to get a good seat, and man did we score in that department! This is my gloating and elated look despite the 90+ degree heat!
Concert Recaps 2664307971_47a4c8fe76_o

My man Elvis hit the stage rocking it with some of his classic stuff from his early years. His voice was was so beautiful it really blew me away. Especially when he played "Every Day I write the Book". One of my fav Elvis tunes of all time...Yes, it did bring a tear to my eye. Twisted Evil

Concert Recaps 2665138698_47c9a2059c_o

Sting and Elvis did a duet on "Allison". It really does'nt get any better than that IMO! They sounded amazing needless to say, but Sting sounded different because he was singing in a lower register than he usually does...I was curious how he would sound solo.
Concert Recaps 2665123844_7793487c6b_o

Honestly, I fully expected to enjoy the Police, but to be slightly underwhelmed because I thought they would not have the same energy they did in their heyday...Oh how wrong I was. Sting is one of the most talented singers and songwriters of our time. His voice is better live than on recordings... Shocked He looks great for his age. He is so charismatic and has so much emotion in his singing. His eyes are electric blue, this photo really does'nt capture how intense they are, but you get the idea.
The screen imagery and light show was phenomenal as well. They did a really beautiful segment with the most beautiful photos of children from all over the world laughing that was really moving.
Concert Recaps 2664315069_096e66e543_o

We got a few shots of Stewart Copeland in action..but he was always moving so made it really difficult. The video work/quality of the performance for the Police was the best I have ever seen in a concert.
Stewart had the full percussionist set-up with giant gong and the works...so entertaining to watch!
Concert Recaps 2664304313_da8f62a7e4_o
Concert Recaps 2664303207_cb69b52604_o

I will end my story with a shot of Sting's ass...not very clear, but the man has the most incredible body! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Oy, the entire experience goes down as one of the top ten experiences of my life! Hubby and I danced the entire time the Police were jperforming...and we don't usually do that at concerts. The music was that infectious and most of the crowd were on their feet for the entire Police set! cheers
Concert Recaps 2664317287_c0c01aa8f2_o
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 1260
Registration date : 2007-04-06

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 1:58 pm

It sounds like you had an incredible time!!! Good for you, Luca! I can only imagine how great the music was at such a great venue!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 2:12 pm

Thanks Sky! The acoustics were beyond outstanding and you can imagine the caliber of the sound equipment and mixing that the Police had! Just the ultimate!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 3:17 pm

Great pix!! Glad you had such an awesome time! You are brave - I would not sit out 3 extra hours in the 90 degree hot sun for ANYBODY! You are a devoted fan!

I saw The Police in the 80's and I thought they were amazing! Especially Sting! Still love Sting!

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I hope you get to see Elvis again someday!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 3:53 pm

Thanks my laydee! Yes, I am a devoted fan and nut! I bet you would sit out in the heat for Clay or David!!! I will bet you money on that! Wink

I would love to get more than an hour of Elvis someday! But, I am so grateful and happy with seeing him for the time I did!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 4:11 pm

Are you kidding? My make-up would be down around my toes and my hair would look like Don King's affraid Now I could never let DC or Clay see me looking like that!!! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 4:38 pm

Laughing I wouldn't intentionally sit out in that heat..........but if I had a ticket...I would be there!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 5:35 pm

What was great is that around this area, most people don't wear much make-up anyway and everyone was pretty grunged out in the most comfortable, no fuss clothes available-so I fit right in with my funky hat and sweat dripping everywhere!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 6:22 pm

I like the funky hat!

No make-up? affraid I'd scare the crap out of the kids! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 7:00 pm

Luca, I think you looked great!!!
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 9:44 pm

I got that true live outdoor concert THRILL from you pics and descriptions.

I think you are fabulous looking, exactly how I think a person aiming to thrill with a concert description should be.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 11:15 pm

Ahhhh shucks! Thanks Sky,Frazzle, and FC! You are all so sweet and kind.

Glad you are here to share my concert experience with! Only true music lovers understand a fellow fanatic! Wink
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 11:24 pm

Oh some other tidbits I forgot to mention...
You will notice that many of the assigned seats were not filled when Elvis was performing. It seems a lot of people did not come until later right before the Police went on. Evil or Very Mad I felt sort of bad for Elvis, but he did get a warm, but not rousing reception. I guess he probably isn't crying himself to sleep over it, I'm sure he is being very well compensated for this tour.

Another gossipy tidbit I remember. As Sting, Andy, and Stuart were doing their final bows and were leaving the stage, some woman/girl got Sting's attention and he actually stopped and went over to the edge of the stage and bent down and talked to her for a quick moment. She had something like a small sign in her hand...Interesting and weird- Shocked
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-09

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 5:46 am

That is a very unique and fabulous looking venue. Luca, your pics of the jumbotron came out very well as I know they are difficult to capture well. Glad you had a wonderful time.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 9:53 am

Thanks Lau! It is a truely fab venue! One of the best in the world I think, almost as good as Red Rocks in Boulder! Very well set up and well organized deal. We are going back in a month to see Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and Steve Winwood. It was my husband's first time there and my second.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 5:28 am

That looks fun.

I forgot to tell everyone I've been so concerned with being sick. But anyway my husband had to go work in Dallas and I was going to go with him. But i had been so sick I almost cancelled. Plus it's a tial getting a sitter for my critters. So he kept saying you need to try to go, because I have a surprise. I couldn't imagine what it was. On that Monday in Dallas he said dress like you are going to a concert. So he takes me in the car and we pull up to the Nokia Center and guess who I am seeing??? ROBERT FRICKIN PLANT!!!!! and Alison Krauss. This was one of the best surprises I have ever had. I love and worship Robert Plant. I have ALL of his music from Led Zeppelin on. I constantly listen to him. I was so excited last year when I thought Led Zep may reunite for a tour. I bought the cd with Alison Krauss never thinking in a million years I would like bluegrass. But It has opened up a new venue for me. I have only listened to rock for forever. She has a beautiful clear voice.
When he walked out on that stage I cried. Really. They sang all the songs from the cd plus some Led zep including Black Dog , my favorite song in the universe. I am still on high from seeing him. He looks fantastic and still has that most incredible voice. I wish I had pics but none were allowed. Now If I ever get to see Bowie.....
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 5:53 am

What a wonderful surprise from hubby!! How exciting for you! I am so glad you got to go!

Oh, I saw Bowie! He was amazing!!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 1:25 pm

Aerwin wrote:
Quote :
So he takes me in the car and we pull up to the Nokia Center and guess who I am seeing??? ROBERT FRICKIN PLANT!!!!! and Alison Krauss. This was one of the best surprises I have ever had. I love and worship Robert Plant. I have ALL of his music from Led Zeppelin on. I constantly listen to him. I was so excited last year when I thought Led Zep may reunite for a tour. I bought the cd with Alison Krauss never thinking in a million years I would like bluegrass. But It has opened up a new venue for me. I have only listened to rock for forever. She has a beautiful clear voice.
When he walked out on that stage I cried. Really. They sang all the songs from the cd plus some Led zep including Black Dog , my favorite song in the universe. I am still on high from seeing him. He looks fantastic and still has that most incredible voice. I wish I had pics but none were allowed. Now If I ever get to see Bowie.....
OMFG!!!! What an out of body experience!!!! I would love to see Robert Plant and Alison Kraus together! I have heard they are just phenomenal! I do love Robert Plant too, but not as much as you do! I really like Alison Kraus and have wanted to see her for years! What a priceless mement for you and your hubby to share together! Did alison accompany Robert on the classic Led Zep tunes as well? Shocked
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 8:29 pm

These posts got me thinking about the era when i saw the most concerts: my college days, when I worked (at the soda fountain, in the office, at the ticket counter) at The Boston Tea Party.

This place has a list (not complete) of the concerts, about half way down:

http://www.punkblowfish.com/BostonTeaParty.html

This quote might be about me:

Quote :
The girl who handed out Cokes also ran the sound system. Hearing a squeal of feedback, she would wheel around from the soda dispenser and grope for the right knob on the console.

LOL!

I started working there in the summer of 1967, and with occasional weeks off, worked there until the end, in September of 1970.

It really is amazing to revisit the list of acts. In those days there was no special security (or need for it) and working the soda fountain or the ticket booth just meant you worked there. I wasn't hidden away somewhere, so I really got to see all the concerts the same way someone on the floor would.

The place changed ownership after that, I continued to work at the new place, The ARK, which got even bigger acts.
Back to top Go down
Janice

Number of posts : 109

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 8:46 pm

Quote :
I would love to see Robert Plant and Alison Kraus together! I have heard they are just phenomenal!

They are going to be in Portland, OR on 9/30 and in Seattle, WA on 10/1.

http://www.livedaily.com/news/14541.html
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 8:50 pm

WOW! SO many awesome bands! J.Giles! Canned Heat! Jethro Tull! Ten Years After! Buddy Miles!! Johnny Winters!!!!!!!!!!!!! That must have been such an amazing time for you! Those names bring back a lot of memories for me that is for sure! I was a little too young in the 60s to see them. My first concerts were in the early 70s, but I did see a lot of those bands in the 70s. I saw so many concerts in the 70s and 80s that I don't even remember if I ever saw Zeppelin scratch scratch But I don't think I did. It's not ringing any bells anyway.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 9:20 pm

Cream, Fleetwood Mac, Frank Zappa, the Who, Tracy Nelson, the Flying Burrito Brothers (later the Byrds), the Velvet Underground...way cool.

Sometimes I have to follow my intuitive brain, which is not particularly logical or explainable, to try to figure out what is going on with me.

It seems I have some axes to grind with ex hub and ex- first major boyfriend.. to be continued in chit-chat.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 10:14 pm

Frazzle, how extraordinary you got to work at that venue at such a wonderful time in our music history! I hope you remember the highlights and are able to relive it from time to time!

I saw some of the greats as a young girl myself and it forever left a mark on me that has changed my life and enriched it more than I ever imagined possible.

Janice, thanks for sharing the info on Robert Plant and Alison Krauss! I wish I could trade tickets with someone for the Tom Petty show in August I am going to. I doubt we will be able to affort yet another expensive concert this year, but heck, you never know!
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 10:19 pm

Led Zepplin! That was what prompted me to go looking for the links to the Boston Tea Party! Led Zepplin was MAJOR at ther Tea Party. I was jaw-droppedly in awe!

Robert Plant teated the me person (deliverer of refreshments to his dressing room) professionally. Was not one to fraternize with the help. But he didn't treat the help badly, either, even if he regarded us as the help and not so much as humans, as most of the groups did. So he gets a thumbs halfway up on that level. But the concerts were amazing!
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 10:38 pm

Luca, there's nothing I like more than pictures accompanying a story. It really puts you there and makes it immediate. Thanks for sharing that with me. Makes me wish I had gone to the concert. I would figure it would be the same energy since, like you said, Sting is in great shape. I appreciate the ass shot.

Aerwin! I'm so glad you have something to look forward to. That is so awesome!

Frazz, what you said reminded me of something. A little while ago I worked at an automotive museum. I usually do office work, but my boss wanted us to work an event where we'd be handing out the name tags and clearing the table of plates, etc. It was a bunch of very very very rich people. Like, the grandson of Armand Hammer was there. Like, we were at a house in Malibu where I got lost on the grounds and didn't know whether to make a left or right at the swan pond. Where the guy was apologizing for his shitty house where I kept getting lost on the grounds because it wasn't on the ocean side in Malibu. Anyway, so I broke the rich people down into two groups: The ones who treated me like stuff they scraped off their shoe, and the ones who are the type of people who are nice to "the help". Not one person treated me as an equal. I left there exhausted and never EVER wanting to be oine of those people. I ate a lot of humble pie that day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Concert Recaps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concert Recaps   Concert Recaps Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Concert Recaps
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wizened Women :: Hello, hello :: Chit-chat, News, Real Life, Get motivated-
Jump to: