Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Clay News!

Go down 
+10
Sky
Green Eyez
austin
muse
frazzle
Janice
abrahammy
southernbelle
Admin
firecracker
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 24 ... 38  Next
AuthorMessage
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Clay News! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 7:50 am

Here are some adorable pix of Clay arriving at his hotel in Manhatten yesterday! I think I will send him a case of Downey Wrinkle Releaser!! Love that stuff!!

http://photo.wenn.com/index.php?ref=clay%20aiken%20080807&version=us

Clay is the celebrity of the month for The Weekly Reader!

http://www.weeklyreader.com/wys/askacelebrity.asp
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 5:59 pm

A really great write-up on Clay!

Quote :
Forming Clay into Rock
by Alli Marshall in Vol. 14 / Iss. 02 on 08/08/2007

After 2003 American Idol runner-up Clay Aiken performed in Syracuse, N.Y. (backed by the Syracuse Symphony Orchestra, no less), the Web site Syracuse.com dubbed the pop singer “the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl’s flouncy canopied bed.”

From Idol to icon: Although American Idol runner-up Clay Aiken may lack the artistic credibility that comes with a long career of paying dues, his devoted fans — the “Claymates”— don’t seem to mind. Aiken, as his devoted fans (known as “Claymates") can attest, is often given short shrift, celebrity-wise: Benign-geek status was not exactly the reputation favored by rock gods like Jim Morrison or Robert Plant. But the N.C. native (whose pre-Idol aspiration was to become a school principal and someday raise a family) is probably better suited to tender ballads and sports jackets than primal screams and leather chaps.

Following in the footsteps of good-guy crooners like Wayne Newton, Mel Tormé, Burt Bacharach and Engelbert Humperdinck, Aiken has carved out his own corner. That is, if playing widely accessible “concert[s] the whole family will enjoy”—as one fan dubbed them—can be considered a niche market.

The entertainer’s most unique quality, ironically, may be his bid for across-the-board acceptability. Sneer if you must, but when the Top-40 charts are clogged with angsty Avril Lavigne and Amy Lee numbers, a reprise of the feel-good Laverne & Shirley theme song kind of hits the spot.

Getting Clay
Part of what differentiates Aiken from his fellow touring Idols is that, at each stop, he teams up with the symphony of that particular city.

“It’s rare and exciting for us to be able to do something like this,” enthuses Asheville Symphony Artistic Administrator Sally Keeney.

Whereas a typical symphony concert involves 85 to 90 musicians on stage, the group backing Aiken’s Biltmore Estate Summer Evening Concert Series appearance numbers 42. “It’s a more pops-y size,” Keeney explains. “It will give a nice, rich sound with all those strings.”

What will Aiken be performing to the orchestral wall of sound? Don’t expect an aria from The Marriage of Figaro. The pop star’s fans are treated to a program of Aiken’s hits along with medleys of easily recognizable tunes from radio and television. At the Syracuse show, Aiken and his musicians ran through such unlikely selections as “Like a Virgin,” “(Party Like It’s) 1999” and “Beat It.” At another concert, he led a singalong to “The Way You Make Me Feel.” (Lyric sheets were circulated through the audience beforehand.)

But fans are quick to argue that sound bites of the Welcome Back, Kotter intro don’t equate to Clay-lite.

“He sings ["Baby Got Back” and “Sexy Back"] to make fun of how commercialized and soulless most of the songs that get radio play today are,” fan “Natalie” commented on the Xpress blogsite, responding to an open call to defend Aiken’s talents.

In fact, symphony Executive Director Steve Hageman feels that Aiken’s appearance “increases our credibility.”

Apparently, a Michael Jackson cover doesn’t spell flippancy as much as tasteful and talented sardonicism.

“Clay Aiken and his managers are very good musicians,” Hageman continues. “They have to be, at that level.”

In this case, the Biltmore Estate contracted with the local symphony as support for Aiken’s performance, a reversal of a more common arrangement where the orchestras hire the vocalists. (The Asheville Symphony was working with a group of orchestras to book The Moody Blues on a yearlong tour, an effort that eventually fell flat.)

“There were a heck of a lot of symphony people having their socks knocked off after watching Clay’s performances,” blogger “Kayla,” who’s attended four out of nine shows on the Aiken tour, told Xpress.

“It is [RCA chairman] Clive Davis who put him in the ‘Manilow’ box,” she charges. “But believe me, Clay Aiken is so much more than that.”

It could be argued that Barry Manilow himself, with his countless hit singles, multiplatinum albums and worldwide record sales numbering more than 75 million, is something more than a tawdry troubadour. Aiken actually might be lucky to follow in the footsteps of the man who wrote, you know, the songs.

But Aiken, seemingly uncomfortable with accepting overnight stardom outright, is going beyond introducing Claymates to civic orchestras. Pre-Idol, the Raleigh native was a special-ed teacher, and he continues that particular line of work through the Bubel/Aiken Foundation charity he co-founded.

He’s also a celebrity ambassador for UNICEF and has traveled in that capacity to Uganda, Indonesia and Afghanistan. The latter trip earned him more press for the beard he grew out of respect for local customs than for his charity work.

Celebrity—even that gained from an oft-panned reality series—is a bumpy road. Aiken himself admitted to Ability Magazine, “Somebody once said, ‘You asked for it.’ And I thought, ‘Did I really ask for it?’ When I auditioned for [Idol], I never for a second believed that I was going ... to be in the top 15, much less the top two.”

Three albums on, Aiken’s tenuous stardom is finally looking less like a fluke and more like the real thing.

“He is the best all-around entertainer I have ever seen,” blogger “CarylAnn” (who’s seen Elton John, Billy Joel and Journey) told Xpress. “Clay has it all. The voice, the comedic timing and the way he interacts with his fans and makes fun of himself is hilarious.”

Or, as Claymate “Carol” puts it, “People are finally starting to ‘get’ Clay.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clay Aiken and the Asheville Symphony Orchestra play the Biltmore Estate’s Summer Evening Concert Series on Saturday, Aug. 11. 8 p.m. At press time, tickets for the show were sold out. (800) 624-1575
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 9:44 pm

Quote :

Or, as Claymate “Carol” puts it, “People are finally starting to ‘get’ Clay.”

Because he really is the BEST contestant AI has EVER had. The. Best. I knew I thought he was great in 2003, but four years of watching it after his year has made me truly appreciate that he really does represent the best undiscovered talent America had to offer. Not even Bo, not even Taylor, not even Melinda or Elliott - Clay is the best. He's a vocalist of unparalleled beauty and power, he 's a genuine humanitarian and he's a complete card.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 2:23 am

Yeah, what Abrahammy said.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 5:03 am

Aw ladies, it is so nice to wake up to see other posters in Clay's thread and that you all appreciate his talent and his heart I love you He truly was the best they ever had on the show. Sadly, you will never get the judges to say that No Idiots Mad

<-------- AND, look how cute he is!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 6:48 am

Quote :
Sadly, you will never get the judges to say that No Idiots

After watching the effusive praise given to the likes of Ace Young, Chris Richardson, Mario Whatshisname, etc, I find this one of the great mysteries of TV history.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 8:08 am

abrahammy wrote:
Quote :
Sadly, you will never get the judges to say that No Idiots

After watching the effusive praise given to the likes of Ace Young, Chris Richardson, Mario Whatshisname, etc, I find this one of the great mysteries of TV history.

BIG FAT WORD!
Back to top Go down
Badger

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 12:05 pm

The people I know who don't like him as a singer (surprisingly, I often talk to people who enjoy his talk show appearances and honestly admire his charity work) usually say it's because he's got a good (although to them hardly spectacular) voice but there's no "there" there. They see it as a lot of superfluous glory noting that means nothing other than that he can do it. That's in contrast to Kelly, Carrie, Jennifer Hudson, Fantasia and Chris Daughtry who according to them sing with real fire and intensity and passion. As one guy I know put it, "if Kelly Clarkson has a rough night vocally, it doesn't really matter because she puts her whole heart and soul into it so it's still an emotionally satisfying evening. But if Clay hits a bad note, it's all over because he's got nothing else going for him."

Just in case, ITA that Clay was the best contestant they ever had. They've had many good ones before and since (I always find at least one person to root for seriously and not in a "Vote for the worst" way), but there's only been one Clay Aiken.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 12:32 pm

Wow, I couldn't disagree with your friends more. Clearly they have never seen him in concert singing I Survived You or Solitaire or Lover All Alone. And certainly never O Holy Night or You Were There, Good News, All Is Well, or Emanuel (the boy loves singing to his lord). And he doesn't glory note one bit on Lover All Alone and it is one of the most beautifully sung songs he has ever done.

Kelly has had a LOT of really off live performances and trust me, it ain't pretty. I say that as a big Kelly fan. She has had some truly awful, yelling performances and yelling is not passion and fire - it is just yelling. After hubby and I saw her in concert all my husband said to me is "Don't ever ask me to go to one of her concerts again. He thought she was awful". I don't plan to ever see her again either, but I will buy her CDs if the music fits my taste.

Fantasia, well I cannot stand anything about her singing - from the screeching to the endless yeah, yeah, yeahs, to the bo boing.

Jennifer Hudson - yes, LOVE her.

Daughtry? I don't know. When he was on AI he just stared blankly and expressionlessly at me through the camera. I didn't see or feel fire or passion at all. Perhaps he does now in concert. I have not seen him so I cannot say. I do think he has a wonderful voice even though many feel he sounds like a goat. Totally different music from Clay's and I think it is only natural to feel more fire from rock.

Carrie - I LOVE her voice very much, but I read endlessly about her lack of emotion or connection. Her thread is full of that complaint. A lot of people on GS had the same opinion as the CHers about Carrie. Robotic.

Obviously music and singers are all subjective to one's taste and I sure understand how Clay wouldn't be to everyones taste, but "No there, there"? Show them some concert clack of Lover All Alone, or any of the Xmas songs I mentioned, and see if they still think that.
Back to top Go down
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 1:22 pm

Speaking of Jennifer Hudson, I got a copy of "Dreamgirls" from the library so I'll be watching that this weekend. I didn't care much for the PR campaign surrounding her which was based on her somehow being continuously dissed on the show. She was praised warmly almost every single week by every judge including Simon. The famous quote everyone uses was very early in the competition and he said a similar thing about Kelly Clarkson who he also generally praised to the rafters afterwards.

FTR, my friends are mostly rock fans so that kind of colors their thinking anyway.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 3:02 pm

I haven't seen Dreamgirls yet! Let me know what you think! I think Simon said many nasty things to Jennifer. The over the top comments, her looks, and that she was not up to the level of Latoya and Fantasia. That is why he publicly admitted how wrong he was about her after Dreamgirls. I think Randy and Paula liked Jennifer way more than Simon did. Simon wanted Fanty to win. Period.
Back to top Go down
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 5:03 pm

He said she wasn't up to Latoya and Fantasia's standards the first or second week of top 12. He made a snarky remark about how she dressed on a later show but still praised her singing. Other than that, he joined the rest of the judges in praising her to the skies. Even the week she was eliminated he said she was good. She definitely got more good reviews than bad from all the judges including Simon.

I think he played along with her Oscar PR because he figured it would be good for the show. But really, check on TWOP Season 3 re-caps and you'll see that the "Simon Cowell panned Jennifer Hudson every week on AI" myth was just that, a myth.

I love that whole Motown era so I'm sure I'll enjoy the movie.

Getting back to the topic, I'm glad Clay is on the East coast for a while. It means not so many late nights for us Clay fans waiting for the recaps, etc.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 5:15 pm

You aren't kidding! I like to hang in Chat and those Calif. concerts were killers.

You sure have a better memory than me! I don't remember Simon being a fan of Jen's. I know he adored Fanty from the get-go. Being from Chicago I was all for Jen from the first time I heard her!

I loved the Motown era too! I used to have lots of LPs from those great Motown stars! I think that is one reason I like Elliot's CD so much. Some of the songs have that feel.

OK, back to Clay (one of my fave subjects, as if you couldn't tell - and yes, I am sensitive and protective when it comes to him, so forgive me that). I hope he and all the fans can make it thru this super hot weather NC is having! This MAY be one concert in NC I am not jealous that I am not there. MIGHT Razz
Back to top Go down
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 6:55 pm

It's been really hot here too although not quite 107 degrees worth hot! Razz Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 7:17 pm

Where are you Badger?

I am in the cornfields of Illinois! About 90 mins from Chicago. It has been really hot and humid here too all week. And stormy!
Back to top Go down
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 8:24 pm

I'm in Southwest Wisconsin, firecracker. Richland Center, to be exact. Speaking of Chicago, we had friends in Park Forest, Illinois who we used to visit whenever we drove out to Milwaukee to visit my grandparents (I grew up in Maryland).

Some scuttlebutt from the concert. Apparently JP is there with his mom and a couple of O.C. members.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 8:47 pm

Yes, I am in Chat and JP is there Mad What a piss ant (pardon my french). Clay still went into the audience. The boy has titaniums!! Good for him not letting the gnats ruin his show. What the hell is wrong with people like JP and PH?? I will never understand No

Oh, we love Wisconsin. Go there lots! We really like Hudson. We used to own property in Wisconsin but sold it last year.
Back to top Go down
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 8:59 pm

I doubt if Clay even knows who JP is. I'm kind of puzzled as to why fans would bring him to a concert.

I've heard of Hudson, but I'm not sure I know where it is. Most of my relatives are either in Madison or Milwaukee or Delafield.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 10:07 pm

Hudson is way up nearly in Minnesota. We had property right by Spooner Lake. A nine hour drive from where we live. We got a good offer and sold it.

I do not understand why "Fans" took JP to the show scratch . I know that Clay knows all about the lies he told. I have no idea if he checked him out. I would think he would have looked at the pix posted of JP just out of curiosity. I know if some creep was spreading horrible lies about me I would feel the need to at least see what the creep looked like. Also, for security reasons I would think he, Jerome and anyone close to Clay would want to know what he looked like so they could watch out for him. My guess is Clay was well aware he was there and where he was seated.

I'm just glad Clay was able to put on a good show and have fun anyway!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 10:18 pm

OK, I just read Mary's blog at the OFC about security not letting Clay walk the busline because of the dickhead. Clay is very disappointed Crying or Very sad Couldn't walk the busline in his own freaking home town. How freaking sad for him and all those fans. From what I am reading those people from O.C.who brought JP are not really fans. They support JP??? confused Yeah, I will never understand people. I hope JP gets his when he heads for the pearly gates.
Back to top Go down
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 10:45 pm

We vacationed two weeks in a town near the Minnesota border called "Land O'Lakes" when I was in college. I remember they had a petting zoo which featured a very sleepy and belligerent badger and a bear in a cage that you could feed root beer to. Really. They had a soda machine filled with rootbeer bottles which you stuck up on a stick and the bear would drink it. Obviously, you wouldn't be able to do that nowadays. I don't think root beer is one of the four bear food groups! Razz Razz Razz

I used to post at O.C. a few years ago, but I got kicked off. Most of the fans there don't like JP any more than fans on other boards do.

ITA it's too bad Clay couldn't do the busline tonight. But his security is there to make those decisions.

ETA: I was just over at the public section of the O.C. board and they say the two "fans" were removed from their board a while back. They didn't seem to be very happy about them bringing JP to the concert.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 5:02 pm

The video of Clay singing "Because You Loved Me" to the fans while the fans wave the glowsticks is so beautiful. Below is a pic of Clay at the end of the song - taking a moment. Probably thankful that the night went smoothly even though his "stalker" was in the 5th row. I'm still so bummed he couldn't do the busline. He so loves to do that and he so loves his home town. Makes me so damn mad that that pond scum took that away from Clay, but at least he had to sit there and witness how much Clay is loved by thousands of people. A feeling JP with never know.

LOVE this picture!
Clay News! - Page 10 Bylmcary

ETA: I was going to copy and paste some beautiful quotes from fans until I found this wallpaper with the pic and the quotes. It is so touching and beautiful I just had to share it here!

Clay News! - Page 10 BecauseWeLoveHim
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 8:15 pm

Quote :
Yes, I am in Chat and JP is there Mad What a piss ant (pardon my french). Clay still went into the audience. The boy has titaniums!!

That's why he's done as well as he has despite the bitter opposition. He cannot be bowed.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2007 8:51 am

Concert Review.

Quote :
Review: With personality and charm, Aiken holds own at Tennessee
By Betsy Pickle (Contact)
Monday, August 13, 2007

The Pickle Dish
Aiken for an argument

Singer Clay Aiken opened his Sunday night concert at the Tennessee Theatre by tackling a local legend, and he held his own admirably.

Aiken displayed nerves of steel as he launched with Dolly Parton’s “Here You Come Again” in front of about 1,330 enthusiastic Aiken fans. It would have seemed as though he were catering to the home crowd but for the fact that the tune is one of the highlights of his most recent album and that at least half the crowd — as revealed by an Aiken poll — wasn’t from around here, as the natives say.

Aiken spent two hours onstage with his longtime backup vocalists, Angela Fisher and Quiana Parler, pianist/musical director Jesse Vargas, drummer Sean McDaniel and the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra. Well, two hours minus the five or so minutes he danced in the aisle among his fans during “The Way You Make Me Feel,” as security guards jumped into alert mode.

Attendance was less than half what the “American Idol” Season 2 runner-up drew at his first Knoxville gig in August 2004, but that was at the cavernous Thompson-Boling Arena. This time, Aiken tried for a more intimate connection, and he succeeded.

It helped that many of those present are avid, not to say rabid, Aiken fans and have attended his concerts multiple times. Some of them have his patter down, as a young woman who’d seen his show last week in Raleigh, N.C., proved.

Aiken’s voice was mostly rich, warm and powerful, though he strained on some high and quiet notes. Parler soloed on “When the Lights Go Down” and Fisher on “Listen,” both beautifully.

They say that love is blind — it’s certainly deaf as regards Aiken’s supporters. The set list was heavy on songs from “A Thousand Different Ways,” which is basically a tribute album to the cheesiest power ballads of the past three decades.

The crowd swallowed the cheese and the corn whole as Aiken, Fisher and Parler poured passion into such fare as “I Want To Know What Love Is,” “When I See You Smile,” “Right Here Waiting” and “Sorry Seems To Be the Hardest Word.”

All three of the vocalists are first-rate, so it seemed a pity that their repertoire was so deeply steeped in adult-contemporary elevator music. They and the fans deserve better.

But Aiken brings something to his shows that few acts bother with: his personality and charm. His banter with Fisher and Parler and self-deprecating wit (who says he isn’t cool?) made up for the gazillionth interpretation of “Because You Loved Me.”

Betsy Pickle may be reached at 865-342-6442.

© 2007, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Back to top Go down
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2007 3:00 pm

Reviewer's blog

She was a bit more critical although in the main I do think she liked the show more than not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clay News!   Clay News! - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clay News!
Page 10 of 38Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 24 ... 38  Next