Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

In the News

Go down 
+9
aerwin
Luca
abrahammy
Green Eyez
austin
firecracker
Janice
frazzle
Admin
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Badger

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2007-07-24

In the News - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2007 8:51 am

Fred was dead last on my list too!

Here's a link to a Washington Post site that has Senator Dodd's voting record plus a short biography
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 8:58 am

Barack for me! He is my pick anyways. Fred T is dead last in my list too. If I am going to have an actor for Prez. I will take Mr . George Clooney thank you. Socially concious, poltically astute and he looks good, too.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 8:30 pm

I do not yet know who I will vote for, though I assume it will really come down to the woman and the black guy...I'd love somebody as either category to be president.

On the issues, what concerns me most personally is universal health care.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 6:22 am

My first ideal pick would be Al Gore. I was hoping he would decide to run but it is getting a little late now.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 7:54 am

I totally get why he isn't running. He's reached a supreme top of the heap. He's participated in an Oscar winning film based on his own book (and even if the producer won that Oscar, it's all based on Al's work) and he won the Nobel Peace Prize.

He is lauded and admired and praised everywhere he goes, and that lump in the White House is a reviled joke. It is now virtually certain that the 2000 election will go down as one of the worst decisions the voting public the Supreme Court ever made.

I wouldn't want to spoil that high by running for President, either. Let Hilary clean up W's mess. Not that she's my favorite candidate, but she's already a lock for the nomination, and we just CAN'T have another Republican president immediately after this disaster. It isn't that no Republican can make it all better, but that party has ruled so much by fiat, has dismantled our civil liberties at will, has had their way so completely and damaged our country so badly, if they get to stay in power after W, the idea of accountability in this nation's government will go completely down the drain. We will become a one-party dictatorship and rule by the rich, for the rich, on the necks of the poor and uninsured, will become our permanent reality. The middle class will disappear completely and all the wealth in the country will be own by like, ten people.

There HAS to be accountability for the trainwreck of the last eight years. There HAS to. This is one of the worst REGIMES we've ever had.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 9:44 am

Like Isaid before Hilary is not my first pick. I would love to see something done about the astronomical cost of healthcare in this country. Did you know that 50% of people that declare bankruptcy because of medical bills? That is ridculous. since hilary has taken campaign money from pharmaceticul co. and insurance corp. I don't have very much faith she will do anything to remedy the situation. Oh no a Republican will not be elected this term, this I know for sure.
Back to top Go down
Badger

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 1:31 pm

I think it's a little early to say Hillary will definitely be the Democratic party nominee. She's certainly got the inside track now, but it's a long time between now and primary season and anything could happen.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 3:39 pm

Badger wrote:
I think it's a little early to say Hillary will definitely be the Democratic party nominee. She's certainly got the inside track now, but it's a long time between now and primary season and anything could happen.
Yeah you are right about that.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 8:18 pm

OK, HERE's a nasty little tidbit I just found over at Daily KOS: State of the Nation. It will certainly spark conversation.
Quote :

The U.S. Military is demanding that thousands of wounded service personnel give back signing bonuses because they are unable to serve out their commitments.

To get people to sign up, the military gives enlistment bonuses up to $30,000 in some cases.

Now men and women who have lost arms, legs, eyesight, hearing and can no longer serve are being ordered to pay some of that money back.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 9:02 pm

That is despicable!!! Mad What the hell?????? How can they do that to those service men and women?????
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 1:14 pm

Some of you know and some of you don't know. When I was in school, I had (and still have) friends who were friends with Quiet Riot. Back then, it was a huge deal, since they had just hit the big time. I was in the "Cum on Feel the Noize" video. My friends actually hung out with them (they're sisters). I recently went with one of them to see the band. They greeted my friend warmly.

I also went with her to see the guitarist in another band he's in now. He was so tickled to find out I was in the video.

So, we got to talking about the lead singer, Kevin DuBrow. He was an egomaniac, but he had talent, as evidenced when the singer of this other band sang some QR songs and was bland as milk.

All of this is to say that I got a call from my friend this morning telling me that Kevin Dubrow died. He was only 52. I was totally shocked. If the funeral is here, we'll probably go together. Here is the info:

Quiet Riot Singer Kevin DuBrow Found Dead In His Las Vegas Home

Rocker, 52, died of unknown causes.

By Chris Harris

Quiet Riot singer Kevin DuBrow died Sunday, drummer Frankie Banali confirmed in a post on his Web site. DuBrown was 52 years old and the official cause of his death has yet to be determined.

"I can't even find words to say," Banali wrote. "Please respect my privacy as I mourn the passing and honor the memory of my dearest friend Kevin DuBrow."

DuBrow's body was discovered on Sunday inside the rocker's Las Vegas home. According to those close to the singer, DuBrow celebrated his birthday last month in New Orleans and seemed to be in good health. Quiet Riot bassist Kelly Garni has asked fans to be patient for details on the singer's death.

"I ask this to all of you not only for myself but for other friends and family," Garni wrote, in a message posted to a Web site honoring the memory of Quiet Riot founding member Randy Rhoads. "I ask that no one here offer any speculation or opinions, theories or other things that could be construed as negative or, and I'm sorry for this, even sympathetic, right at this immediate time. I am already, within hours of this, having to deal with untrue rumors and speculation and that only adds fuel to that. There is a tendency for the subject of Kevin to incite flames on every board, and now is not the time for that. I will explain to everyone here the facts and the truth in the next 24 to 48 hours as I realize this will affect us all. So please, until then, be patient. All details and other pertinent info will be passed on to you here when it becomes available to me."

Bill Chavis, owner of Chavis Records, the label that issued Quiet Riot's last LP, 2006's Rehab, also confirmed the news.

"DuBrow's body was found by friends on Sunday, November 25, in his Las Vegas home," reads the label's site. "As I mourn his death with a heavy heart, I will remember hearing his voice and the music for the very first time on the radio back in 1983. I will remember all the great music Kevin and Quiet Riot gave to so many of us over the years and I will say, 'Thank you, Kevin. May you rest in peace.' "

Credited with helping to launch the 1980s glam-metal scene, Quiet Riot are perhaps best known for their cover of Slade's "Cum on Feel the Noize," which appeared on 1983's Metal Health and eventually peaked at #5 on the Billboard Hot 100. The album was the first by a metal band to reach the chart's #1 position.

Last edited by on Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 2:14 pm

I just read about this on ONTD. Very sad indeed. I was not a fan of the band or anything, but 52 is way too young to die. So sorry GE Crying or Very sad But how exciting that you were in the video and got to know them!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 2:50 pm

Wow, that is really sad and unexpected. That is cool you shared your experience with us GE and that you have such good memories with the band.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 3:58 pm

Thanks guys. It's just really weird. I saw him not too long ago. It's so sad when someone is taken so young. I'll keep you updated when I find out more.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 9:00 pm

Sorrowful news, GE. But way cool that you were in the video!
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 7:35 pm

Has anyone heard about this? What do you think?

Texas man shoots robbers coming out of neighbor's house

Many of his neighbors are defending him, saying he's some sort of hero and shouldn't be charged with killing these men. Today I heard that they were shot in the back.

I understand about self-defense. These guys were running away.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 8:11 pm

I think is horrible GE. I mean I am all for self-defense, but this is just wrong. Like the wild west. I would rather something like this is handled by the police. If the man's life was in danger, or any member of his family was in danger, I would think he did the right thing. I would do that to save my kids, but not because they stole something. It is wrong for sure, and it is difficult emotionally when someone has invaded your home like that, but he just shouldn't have shot them in the back like that - IMO.
Back to top Go down
Badger

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 8:16 pm

I imagine we might have some Texans here that could explain it better, but from what I understand in Texas you're allowed to shoot somebody if you feel threatened. And somebody robbing the house next door does fall into that category according to the law there. Or at least, that's what I've read.

I don't understand why he couldn't have just hollered and showed that he had a gun since that's often enough to scare away intruders.

On the other hand, if you go to someone's house with nefarious purposes, you pretty much are looking for trouble. I do think the shooter should at least be indicted for manslaughter but I have no doubt that if the case ever came to trial, he'd be acquitted very very quickly.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 8:24 pm

Quote :
I imagine we might have some Texans here that could explain it better, but from what I understand in Texas you're allowed to shoot somebody if you feel threatened. And somebody robbing the house next door does fall into that category according to the law there. Or at least, that's what I've read.

It's possible. I am an absolutely terrible natural - born Texan and I don't understand what possesses so many of these people to make the decisions they do (despite living here most of my life).
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 12:37 pm

Look, I make no bones about me being a tree-hugging liberal, but if someone broke into my home wielding a weapon and threaten me and mine, I would not feel bad about busting a cap in his ass.

HOWEVER, as the facts of this case reveal,

These people were robbing a NEIGHBOR'S house.
They were done with their crime and leaving
The police were so close they witnessed the guy shooting the robbers
The 9-1-1 operator told the man repeatedly not to go out and shoot
He seemed hell-bent on shooting right from the beginning. (I heard the 9-1-1 call)

As one guy said, yes, these guys did something wrong, but the police would have had them red-handed and taken them into custody.

I think the guy did holler and they did run and that's why they were shot IN THE BACK.

People who go and rob a house when the people aren't home aren't looking to throw down. They wanna get your shit and get out.

Look, I do believe that if crap goes down when you're committing a crime, there's not much sympathy there, BUT STILL.

The way I understand the Texas law is that you have to fear for your life and since these guys were unarmed and he had a gun, I don't see it.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 10:41 pm

I'm with GE on this.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 9:00 am

I generally think that shooting somebody should be a last resort, used when in danger of bodily attack and no other recourse for self defense is possible.

I also do not own a gun and I do not permit them in my home.

However, anybody who robs a house in Texas should be aware of where they are and the possible consequences.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 9:05 am

I have never touched a gun in my life. I have never even seen a real and loaded gun. Only ones you would see at a museum. My oldest son's godmother is married to a policeman (he is a Sargent now) and when my sons were little I would not let them sleep over if though I knew my friends were incredibly careful. I just would have been a wreck affraid Even when they got older they hardly slept over. I always found excuses why they just couldn't stay.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 4:14 pm

We do not own any guns nor have we ever. I have a son and there are too many ways accidents can occur. For example several weeks ago my cousin's son was shot accidently in the chest and killled with a hunting rifle. It was absolutely horrible.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 4:28 pm

OMG Aerwin! That is horrible No I am so, so sorry. That just breaks my heart. How old was he? Your, poor cousin and her son. So very sad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In the News   In the News - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

In the News
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next