Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Food and Drink, recipies

Go down 
+4
Sky
abrahammy
firecracker
frazzle
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Food and Drink, recipies Empty
PostSubject: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2007 9:12 pm

Yummmmy! I just had the following:

Lemon/Garlic/Tarragon Chicken

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, soak in salt water for 20 mins, then rinse and pat dry
Rub chicken with butter (Challenge Unsalted is my fave) or any other fat or oil that suits you (sometimes I use Organic Coconut Oil).
In a ceramic roasting pan put as much squeezed or minced garlic as you like (I put 10 cloves)
Squeeze in the juice of a lemon Myers lemons, when available are sweeter and another tasty version)
Put in seveal sprigs of fresh, or about a tablespoon of dried Tarragon
Add a pinch of red pepper (Cayenne)
Put in the chicken breasts and flip around until they are covered with the mixture.
Add either a little water (maybe 1/4 cup), or broth or a bit more oil or fat (say a teaspoon)
Cover pan with aluminum foil
Cook in oven at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes (check at 15 and flip the meat)

Very very tender, and very tasty. Eat two of them and put the other two in the frige for tomorrow (maybe cut up the leftovers and make pasta primavera with chicken and a bunch of sauteed veggies.

Or cut them up and put them in a salad, as in Ceasars.

Or heat them up again and have the same meal again.

Last edited by on Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2007 9:35 pm

That sounds awesome!! Chicken is my fave meat. I eat/cook it all the time so I love finding new chicken recipes!

This is going to be a great thread!

It's late and I am pooped after this busy day, but I will put a really good green and yellow bean recipe here in the next day or so.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2007 9:57 pm

I tried this stir fry the other day.

Take one cup of sweetened plain yogurt.
Peel one cucumber and chop it up. Puree it in a food processor with about half a clove of garlic. Mix into the yogurt and set aside.

Cut up a chicken breast into small pieces for the stir fry. On another cutting board, chop up some squash, mushrooms (I put mushrooms in virtually everything) and eggplant.

Coat the chicken pieces with the yogurt mixture and brown them on the stove. Stir in the vegetables, coating everything with yogurt sauce, stirring everything and cooking until it is tender. Near the end, stir in half a cup of finely chopped mango.

Serve over couscous or rice. My husband raved about it, and he's usually hypercritical of my cooking.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2007 10:01 pm

Artichokes

How to make cooking an artichoke faster, and later, How to Eat an Artichoke, for those poor souls who have no clue:

For the artichoke, cut the stem about 3/4 of an inch from the base of the choke.

Peel off and discard all the little leaves on the steam, and about three layers of leaves up from there on the outside.

With a strong knife (I use a serrated long bread knife for this, rather than a chef's knife, but any knife will do if you find it easier): cut off the top of the artichoke, all the way down to half way through the bottom most leaves (so you have a very squat artichoke).

Many recipes say to be sure to cook it stem down. I can't see that it makes any difference, and it goes naturally the other way in the water, with the stem up.

So....put enough water in a pot so you can ignore it for a half an hour and not worry about burning the house down (like enough to mostly cover the artichoke, whichever way it is aimed).

I do not put salt in the water (salted water seems to toughen the artichoke).

Put a lid on the pot. Boil the artichoke until you can easily pull out one of the middle level leaves with a tong. (30 mins).

Turn off the heat.
Drain the water.

Dump the artichoke on a plate (it is too hot to touch, and you will just pull leaves out if you try to get it out any way other than dumping it on a plate).

Meanwhile...make some sauce or dip.

How to eat an artichoke:
With your hands, you pull off each leaf, and dip the base in sauce, and scrape just the bottom of the leaf against your lower teeth.

Once you get down to the red topped inner leaves, you pull them out in clumps.

Then you use a spoon to scrape out the fibers on top of the artichoke heart.

Cut up what is left (the artichoke heart), and use a fork to dip the pieces in the sauce.

I count it as low calorie because you have to do all the work of pulling the leaves and scraping them on your teeth.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 1260
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2007 12:37 am

I love artichokes..........my favorite thing to dip them in is lemon butter. Just melt the butter and add a splash of lemon juice. I know, it's not low-fat, but it is so good with melted butter.Laughing
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

Number of posts : 502

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2007 5:26 am

Butter is one of the best-tasting things on earth. It is something how for all those years we were told that we had to eat margarine it's so much healthier! Ha! Now we know that it's actually worse. I've been buying a "spread" called, Smart Balance that is supposed to be better for you than either. It's supposed to help with cholesterol. The best thing about it is that it actually tastes pretty good (the whipped and/or the organic versions do).

Thanks for the artichoke instructions. I haven't eaten a fresh one in a long time. I actually had chicken sausage yesterday than had artichoke and black olives in it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/austin_ambrosia
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2007 11:48 pm

I had an amzingly delicious appetizer at Figaro Bistrot on Vermont Ave. in L.A. the other night; Zuccini Carpaccio...strips of cooked zuccini drizzled with olive oil a hint of mustard and lemon and with the freshest toasted pine nuts on top.

I bought some raw pine nuts at both Trader Joe's and Bristol Farms (gourmet shop). the pine nuts were rancid, from both places (I can smell rancid from 50 paces...unless they are wrapped in cellophone, as both were, drat).

I want to find some unrancid raw pinenuts (vacuum packed, I suppose). Anybody know of a source?
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2007 5:55 pm

You can order them here. $20 a pound Shocked

http://www.bulkfoods.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamCat=25&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=1256

Here they are a little cheaper, but I am not sure that these are raw.

http://www.bulknuts4you.com/nuts_cont_pg19.htm#Anchor-Pin-11935

Here are some on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pine-Nuts-Raw-Organic-All-Natural-Kosher-1-lb_W0QQitemZ4397671883QQihZ001QQcategoryZ25460QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/PINE-NUTS-FRESH-1LB-BAG_W0QQitemZ280054195075QQihZ018QQcategoryZ25460QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not sure if any of them are shipped vacuumed packed.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2007 10:56 pm

I am resurrecting this thread.

I have decided I really need to make healthy lunches to take to work.

I am very sensitive to rotting things, so mayonnaise is out if I make it the night before.

For tomorrow I put this together:

Organic Carrot Juice
Sandwich I made with organic whole wheat/whole grain bread, cream cheese, mustard, romaine lettuce, organic turkey, organic Havarti cheese (minor amounts of the cheeses).
An organic dill pickle slice.

If this did not get too tiring I'd eat that every day...but I know it will get tiring.

I would so love to have rot-resistant organic healthy lunches to know about.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2007 11:08 pm

Quote :
I would so love to have rot-resistant organic healthy lunches to know about.
Laughing I take it you don't have a refrigerator available to store your lunch in!
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 6:24 am

Are you vegeterian? Because I have some vegeterian recipes.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 11:20 am

I am not a vegetarian at this point, but I probably eat vegetarian meals 80% of the time.

But here's the thing;

I am allergic to soy. That is how come I stopped being a vegeatarian many years ago.

But I love veggies in general.

I would have a huge dish of sauteed green veggies every day if it did not take so long to prepare them. Frozen doesn't cut it.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 12:01 pm

I recently discovered how great fresh sugar snap peas are for a snack! My cousin put them in her veggie tray for Thanksgiving and I LOVED them dipped in a no-fat veggie dip. They are even good right out of the bag with no dressing (at least IMO) and I just read that they are VERY healthy!
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 12:59 pm

I could live on salads, all kinds with lots of ingredients in them........if it wasn't such a pain to prepare! I don't eat beef and I love seafood and fresh veggies.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 1:55 pm

I'm with you on the salads Sky! I love them, yet they are BORING to make. Hubby usually makes them Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 2:35 pm

Too much washing, paring, chopping for salads. I do it but not as often as I'd like. You're very lucky your hubby does it for you!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 3:02 pm

Yeah, it is his specialty! He puts in so much stuff! He will spend 30 mins making the salad. Sometimes more. Gotta love him for that. Sometimes I cheat and buy them already made at the Jewel Razz

I don't know if you guys have a Woodman's out by you, but they have a HUGE organic isle at ours. My oldest son loves to shop there.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 10:59 pm

No, we don't have one of those. Your hubby is a jewel!!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 5:32 am

Oh how sweet! I will tell him you said that! Too bad you don't have a Woodman's. They are huge! They have more fruit, veggies, cheeses, meats, pizzas etc. than I have ever seen in one place before! They are employee owned and their prices are great!
Back to top Go down
aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 12:27 pm

With Cereal almost 5 Bucks a box I thought I would share a granola recipe . I love granola but wasa frustrated at the price and some of the artificial stuff in it. I've made this two weeks in a row ,it is delish.

Quote :
2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup peanuts or toasted almonds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup coconut (I always use unsweetened, but you can go for the sweetened kind if you'd like)
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ (I often omit this ingredient, as I tend to forget to buy it)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried fruit (dried apricots, craisins and dried apple are all delicious choices)
scant 1/4 cup cooking oil (not olive)
1/2 cup honey

Mix the oat, nuts and grains in a large bowl. Measure oil into the measuring cup and swirl it around before pouring into bowl. Then measure out the honey in the same, unwashed cup. The oil will help the honey exit the cup. Toss everything together until evenly coated and then pour out into a baking pan. I use a large roasting pan, as it keeps everything contained. A cookie sheet with a lip also works, but you have to stir it slightly more carefully if you use that. Bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes, turning it with a spatula every ten minutes or so. You want everything to be an even golden brown. When it is finished cooking, returned the baked granola to the mixing bowl, add the raisins and fruit and stir to combine. Stir gently several times as it cooks, so that it doesn't clump together too much. Enjoy!

I put about a tbs. of vanilla in with honey. You can add anything you like to it. Dates, chocolate chips , etc.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 12:44 pm

Wow! That sounds great!

I get my cereal and granola bars at Walmart and pay a lot less than $5. I can get a lot of the brands we like for $2.58-$2.98.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 12:49 pm

See though I buy organic because I avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup , and partially hydrogonated oils. That is in a lot of Cereal.

Here is another good recipe I've been using:

Take any pkg of frozen fruit . Peaches, cherries , strawberries add two containers of same flavored or vanilla yogurt. Add 1 tbs sugar or honey. Dump all intp food processor and process until smooth. Tastes decadent but it's not.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 1:13 pm

Now THAT is something I would do!! I am going to get stuff to make that this weekend for our Father's Day BBQ!
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 10:09 pm

At about $2.30 a serving (including all ingredients) I have Uncle Sam's Cereal, with "Just Tomatoes" brand:
organic bananas, and raspberries or apricots (they are all freeze dried and crispy) with some milk or water (you could use hemp milk or soy milk) and some toasted sliced unsalted almonds.

Cheap, delicious, and full of fiber, has vitamins a, c, potassium, e, high protein (the cereal has flax seeds and wheat germ) as well as Omega 3s. No sweeteners of any kind are added. No honey, sugar, corn syrup, nothing. But it tastes sweet-ish because of the dried fruit.

All are available from my local Whole Foods, but I get the cereal and almonds cheaper at at Trader Joe's.

I have that for lunch about 2 x a week at work (none of the ingredients require refrigeration so easy to transport in the 120 degree car (ok so it was only that hot one day in my car, but still))
Back to top Go down
aerwin

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 5:56 am

Hey I've never tried Uncle sam's . I will look for it. I despise the fact the so many "health" foods in the store have High Fructose Corn syrup and partially hydrognated oils. That stuff is poison. High Fructose just makes you crave more sweets and I am convinced that is why there is so much obesity and diabetes in this country.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Food and Drink, recipies   Food and Drink, recipies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Food and Drink, recipies
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wizened Women :: Hello, hello :: Chit-chat, News, Real Life, Get motivated-
Jump to: