Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MOVIES!

Go down 
+9
Badger
mishmash
southernbelle
frazzle
Luca
aerwin
firecracker
austin
Green Eyez
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466
Registration date : 2007-04-04

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2007 1:56 pm

OK, it's no secret. I LOVE movies. Yes, I will even shell out the HORRENDOUS amount they're now charging just to sit in a darkened theatre and stare up at the screen for a couple of hours.

On that note, my friend Rich, who is the most talented person I know, has started a website

www.randommovieclub.com

He does reviews, etc. on movies. As youll see, he's also the most hysterically funny person I know. He's sold a couple of scripts, but they went into turnaround hell.

Anyway, I want to promote his site because he's not only talented, but a really good person as well.
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

Number of posts : 502

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2007 3:08 pm

Will have to check it out. Thanks.

So when you sell a script that doesn't get produced, obviously you must still make a good amount. But then they have the rights to it forever? Or just for a number of years? Also, if the movie is actually produced, does the writer then get a much larger payment?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/austin_ambrosia
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2007 3:12 pm

I believe they only have the rights to a script for a certain amount of time and when that time is up, they must pay more or relinquish the rights to it. It's called an "Option". Here's a definition.

Option: An option is an agreement which allows a company, a producer, or any other individual, to “run” or pursue the realization of your screenplay before making the actual purchase of the material. Option agreements may be for any amount of money, and span weeks, months, or even years. During the option period, the purchasing entity may approach actors, directors, financing, production and distribution entities in order to turn your screenplay into a viable, produce-able project. Should the purchasing entity manage to do this during the option period, then the purchasing entity will be able to purchase the material outright in order to put in into production.

Oh, and usually, once a writer sells a script, that's pretty much it, unles they do more or they're famous or the studio thinks it's AMAZING, then you can get money on "the back end"

here's a definition:

Back-end: Rather then being compensated for their work entirely up-front, some elements, such as actors, director or even writers may be compensated on the “back-end” in the form of a percentage or “points” from the gross or net revenue. The more high-profile the talent, the better their back-end deal will be. Back-end compensation is usually in addition to up-front payment, and is offered in order to make involvement in the project more financially attractive. In another situation, if a film is produced on a low budget, producers will often negotiate with actors, director and key crew members using points from the back end, guaranteeing that if the film is successful, the individuals involved will receive their full compensation.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2007 3:53 pm

Cool site. I hate to tell you but I do not go to the movies. I haven't gone in several years. Not since my kids stop wanting me to take them to see movies like Harry Potter and wanted to go with their friends instead. If I want to see a movie I rent it and I don't do that very often unless it is something for the daycare kids. We just watched Happy Feet. CUTE movie for all of us who love penquins and tap dancing Smile I just don't really find the time to sit and watch movies. When I have spare time I am usually on the net chatting or reading.

Now, you would not believe the afternoon I had. I will tell you in chit chat affraid
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2007 4:14 pm

Thank you GE !! What a cool site . I love the movies. I try to go every other weekend. If I miss anything I netfix it. I always watch one or two movies in some form over the weekend.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2007 4:37 pm

aerwin, sounds like we're cut from the same mold!

I know this 93 year old actress lady who still acts! (she was on the season finale of ER last year and was just on "how I met your mother"). She was also the lady in the first couple in "When Harry Met Sally".

Anyway, she lives in the Motion Picture Retirement Home and they're having a screening of "Amazing Grace" and the producer is going to be there! she invited me and I'm going this Sunday. I'm sure it will be so much fun!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2007 8:50 am

Quote :
I know this 93 year old actress lady who still acts! (she was on the season finale of ER last year and was just on "how I met your mother"). She was also the lady in the first couple in "When Harry Met Sally".

Anyway, she lives in the Motion Picture Retirement Home and they're having a screening of "Amazing Grace" and the producer is going to be there! she invited me and I'm going this Sunday. I'm sure it will be so much fun!
How cool is that to be doing what you love at 93? That will be a special day that she and you will never forget I'm sure.

I hope to still be able to ride or be around horses when I am 93...my problem is going to be having enough money to maintain the lifestyle I have become accustomed to if I live that long!
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2007 6:27 am

GE that sounds fun!

I watched Volver with Penelope Cruz last night. What a wonderful movie. It is about two sisters going through rough waters. Their mother returns from the dead to help them through. It is not a horror movie. I put all this director's movies on my netflix list.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2007 11:51 am

aerwin wrote:
GE that sounds fun!

I watched Volver with Penelope Cruz last night. What a wonderful movie. It is about two sisters going through rough waters. Their mother returns from the dead to help them through. It is not a horror movie. I put all this director's movies on my netflix list.

Is it Almodovar?
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2007 2:06 pm

Quote :
Is it Almodovar?
YES! Freakin brilliant.

I have never liked Penelope Cruz before but she was awesome in this movie. I put Talk to Her and All About My Mother for my next two coming up.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2007 4:02 pm

Aerwin, you won't regret it. His movies are so awesome. He is amazing at character development. They're always very complex .
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2007 1:57 pm

All About My Mother is on it's way for me! I can't wait.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2007 5:43 pm

Although i really like to see movies in a movie theater (especially now that there is a theater close to me...at The Grove...that has seating arranged so that you can sit in a row with nobody in front of you half way back)...I am really making use of these (paid) online places, where you can rent movies. Anybody else use these?
Cinema Now

MovieLink

Amazon Unbox
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2007 7:57 pm

Frazz, I love the Grove too! Great sound system as well (which is very important to me). It had better be with the prices they charge!

I have not tried those. Only Netflix. It's very rare. I hardly watch movies at home unless they happen to be on cable. I am just so into the movie experience.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2007 11:52 pm

I just saw "Notes on a Scandal."

I love watching movies that star women.

But secretly....if it had been Americans, not Judi Densh and Cate Blanchette, I would have thought it sucked. But it was them, so it was much classier than the script.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2007 7:16 am

That looks like a good movie. I love Dame Judi Densh! She is such a wonderful actress!
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2007 2:12 pm

Yes, Frazz, I agree. With those two and the nuance they add to a character, it's just amazing. I'm a HUGE Cate Blanchette fan (and believe she was robbed of the Oscar BIG TIME).

It's too bad she was up against Helen Mirren. Any other year and Ms. Densh would have run away with it.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2007 4:48 am

I have that movie coming. That and Talk to Her. I live in a smallish town and we have one movie theatre. So we get the blockbusters here but if I want to see anything like The Queen or Pan's Labryinth it is about an hours drive. But I did drive for those two. You Must see The Queen if you haven't. It was one one of my favorite movies last year. I am huge angophile and love anything to do with the royals. Add Helen Mirren to that and I am in heaven.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2007 8:04 pm

Well, I'm at the place of the 94 year old actress lady who's a member of the Academy, so I have The Queen screener here. It's not usually my type of movie, but everyone says I must see it, so I will try
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2007 11:02 pm

I am waiting for The Queen to show up on one of the download places. I do like Helen Mirren, if not the queen.
Back to top Go down
southernbelle

southernbelle

Number of posts : 111

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2007 4:12 pm

I saw The Departed and The Prestige recently on DVD...both are very good. I also saw the one about a magician that stars Edward Norton...I LOVE HIM!!! Ahh..he is a fabu actor. As for going to the movies, I also go quite a bit. I have seen some unoscar worthy movies though lately like Blades Of Glory, Vacancy, and Perfect Stranger. Yeah, I like cheez thriller/scary flicks as well.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2007 9:37 pm

SB, I'm right there with ya!

I LOVED Edward norton in "The Illusionist". I was so pissed, because the beginning of the movie is completely silent and there's people behind me shoving popcorn into their mouths like they've been on a desert island for a year! I shot a look that would kill!

Scary is my thing as well! Cheesy romance (Music & Lyrics) also make me very happy!

I want to see "Vacancy' and "Fracture"

Last edited by on Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2007 9:49 pm

I don't like scary movies much (The Exorsist, first run, cured me forever). I really liked the Illusionist. I didn't think it was scary. Loved the art direction (I am a sucker for intricate sets), as well as the acting.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2007 10:14 pm

Funny, The Exorcist got me hooked on scary movies. Then again, I sat and watched "The Omen" alone in my house as a little kid. I wanted to see all those movies of the time...Rosemary's Baby...Audrey Rose...My mom had to send my dad with me. I've always loved really really scary movies.

My new one to top is the first "Saw". Man, that ending was intense!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2007 10:20 pm

Wow, I am really excited about seeing the Illusionist now! I have not heard much about it, so was waiting to get a review from someone that has seen it. Love Ed Norton, and I am really a sucker for outstanding art direction!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MOVIES! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MOVIES!
Page 1 of 19Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next