Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MOVIES!

Go down 
+9
Badger
mishmash
southernbelle
frazzle
Luca
aerwin
firecracker
austin
Green Eyez
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 4:37 pm

I noticed the latest promo ads for Sweeney Todd don't have any singing clips... I also noticed Johnny's singing not being that great-not horrific, but certainly not show stopping. I wonder how much singing there is in the movie. Shocked
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 6:20 am

There's a good bit of singing . It is Sondheim. But all the reviews I am reading are giving this movie raves! The buzz is Johnny is the one to beat come Oscar time! Most critics have him in in a dead heat with Daniel Day Lewis. But DDL has his Oscar and brilliant as he has JD deserves. I will be at the movie Fri. opening day!!
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426
Registration date : 2007-04-04

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:17 am

I can't wait to hear your review, aerwin!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 11:45 am

I definitely plan on seeing it too as soon as the rush is over!

I also can't wait to read your review Aerwin! I love Tim Burton, Johnny and Helena so much, subpar singing or not...I know I am going to love it!
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 11:51 am

Do y'all love Daniel Day Lewis too? I love love love him. I saw the preview for his new movie There Will Be Blood at No Country for Old Men. Which is another MUST SEE. I have loved DDL since My Left Foot and I also had the great privelage of seeing him perform Hamlet in England many years ago. He is consistently brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 2:03 pm

Oh yeah, love DDL too! Will you be going to that flick too over Christmas Aerwin?

If so, would love to get your review of that one too! Did you mention he is up for a golden globe for his performance in No Country for Old Men?
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 3:43 pm

Oh yes , yes I will be going to DDL's movie There Will Be Blood. I would not miss it!!He so rarely makes movies any more. Luckily we get all our Christmas family stuff over with on the 23rd. So I am free to see movies for a few days.

He did get a Golden Globe nom and hopefully and Oscar nom too.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 5:12 pm

Quote :
He did get a Golden Globe nom and hopefully and Oscar nom too.
That is very cool indeed! I bet you beat most of us to the movies, so it will be great to hear if your expectations were met.

Who are DDl's co stars in There Will be Blood?
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 7:45 pm

DDL was amazing in My Left Foot. WHen he gets to play parts that really allow him to show the underbelly of the character he is beyong compare. The downside to that is that anytime I see him I remember, so visually, the scenes of horror and pain I have seen him do. SO he ain't exactly a heartthrob to me. The plaid suits he shows up in on red carpets don't much stir my girl parts, either. But let him uncover the innards and sinews of a wreched human and I am THERE!

Johnny is cute as well as weird, which makes him easier to like in a variety of roles.

I will have to have a day off to go see Sweeney Todd in the afternoon. A side effect of living in Hollywood is that a movie by Tim Burton starring Johny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter will be jammed, even if people elsewhere don't warm to it.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 8:11 pm

I probably will not get to see Sweeney Todd for awhile. But I do look forward to it! I think it looks great and I have seen some promos with JD singing and I thought it seem good for the character and story.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:40 pm

I am so going to Sweeney, probably a week or so after Christmas to a matinee like Frazz. My husband is not a fan of musicals so I may have to go alone...boohoo! Wish one of you were around to go with!

Oh, and I can't wait to see what DDL wears to the award shows this go around-he did go through the plaid, antiestablishment, grunge period and looked a fright! I bet he is aging well though, and may knock our socks off cleaned up in a tux....! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 10:35 pm

I wanted to go along with you here, but DDL, even in a tux looking great, has already grabbed hold of of dark messy things in my being, and I can't even begin to think of him in a light way...that means he is brilliant, but not like a guy for me.

By the way, I love it that we discuss these sort of things here! I love hearing your take, and everybody's take!

On movies and husbands: When I had a husband or a major boyfriend, my experience of movies was always colored by whatever they were going through (hubby was macho but used to physically startle when scary things happened, not in sinc with me) and a boyfriend used to make the whole row shake with his sobs at things like that movie (can't think of the name) where Kevin Costner wanted to play baseball ("If you build it they will come")...I had no idea until I got used to being alone how much more meaningful movies I really connect to are when I see them alone.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 11:01 pm

Quote :
")...I had no idea until I got used to being alone how much more meaningful movies I really connect to are when I see them alone.

That is quite an epiphany, and I can relate. My husband and I usually have opposite taste in movies so the ones I really like, he has no interest in and visa versa, so definitely I could enjoy my type of movies much more alone or with someone else who is really enjoying it with me (although full out sobbing may be a bit distracting! lol!). We both laughed our asses off during Ladykillers though...love that flick!

That is one of the few flicks that comes to mind that we both have really loved, that and Gladiator. Shocked
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 6:26 am

Quote :
We both laughed our asses off during Ladykillers though...love that flick!
The Coens!! I love them. Go see NO Country for Old Men. It is most excellent. Your Hubby should like it. My husband will see anything. He is hyped up usually it is hard to get him to sit. I introduced him to the Bourne movies and he loves them.

Well see I disagree with you about DDL I have always had a HUGE crush on him. I saw him in person and he is gorgeous. My other huge crushes are Johnny Depp, Alan Rickman and Ralph Fiennes. Love. I also love Mr. George Clooney. Is anyone classier than him?
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 6:51 am

George is as classic gorgeous movie star as you can get!!!!!!!!

I don't go to the movies much No Embarassed I'm more a Blockbuster gal Razz I have never gone to the movies alone. I do watch most rentals alone. Hubby is a war and western type of guy Rolling Eyes My least fave type. The only movies we watch together are the really old ones on Turner Classics. That is good though as I love the old movies! Especially anything with Jimmy Cagney, Spencer Tracey, Jimmy Stewart, Gregory Peck, and Bogart! LOVE classic Hollywood!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 8:10 am

Aerwin wrote:
Quote :
The Coens!! I love them. Go see NO Country for Old Men. It is most excellent
Ok, I am so sold!...I will go see it as soon as I can! Have you seen it already Aerwin?Is it playing now? It better come here...sometimes movies don't even play here if they are not blockbuster type flicks. We never did get Dreamgirls..just not a big enough market I guess!

FC, my hubby and your hubby would get along together smashingly I think...he also grooves to war and action/adventure flicks.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 9:01 am

Yep I went a few weekends ago. The Cast is stellar: Tommy Lee Jones. Woddy Harrelson, Josh Brolin ,Javier Bardem.
As you know I live out in the country so our movie theatre only has 6 screens. So if I want to see anything out of the ordinary I have to drive 40 mins to Athens. I LOVE going to the movies though. My son loves the movies too. He goes every week.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 5:22 pm

Cool! What is the gist of the story line without giving it all away? Very Happy

Sure has it's share of testosterone in the cast! Oy! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 6:14 am

Okay at the beginning Llewallyn (Josh Brolin) stumbles upon a drug deal gone wrong and finds a briefcase full of money. It snowballs from there. Smile The book starts out that way , I swear I could not put the book down! Also it is directed by the mangnificent Coens! They are my favorites after Tim Burton.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 7:58 am

Is it a comedy or drama or both? It sounds really good! I love the Coen's too! That Ladykillers is a masterpiece! So underrated...
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 11:08 am

Drama. Some funny moments. Have seen all the Coen Brothers movies? I love all of them from Blood Simple on down.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 9:48 pm

Javier Bardem (though no so much the aircut he sports in this pic) is quite a hottie.

I will see this one and Sweeney Todd soon.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 12:28 am

Yes, I am going to see both these flicks too!

Aerwin, I have only seen Raising Arizona, Fargo, O'Brother Where art though, Intolerable Cruelty, and Ladykillers and enjoyed them all to the hilt. What are your Coen bros. all time top three favorites?

Last edited by on Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 6:19 am

OOOH I love Javier but his hair in No Country is a trip.
I always rent his movies.
Fav Coen Brothers
1. Fargo
2. O brother
3. The Big Lebowski

I do love them all though . Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, Blood simple. I go to all their movies. I think their next is with George Clooney again. I love that they are working with him.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 9:32 pm

Quote :
I think their next is with George Clooney again. I love that they are working with him.

I hope it is another comedy. That is the way I like my Clooney the best...

Well, I wonder if I will beat any of you to Sweeney? I may be going tomorrow or Chirstmas Eve if it is playing here! cheers santa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MOVIES! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MOVIES!
Page 7 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 19  Next