Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MOVIES!

Go down 
+9
Badger
mishmash
southernbelle
frazzle
Luca
aerwin
firecracker
austin
Green Eyez
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466
Registration date : 2007-04-04

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2008 6:35 pm

Well, maybe it will take me three viewings to "get it" because after everyone went nuts, I was expecting some hilarity and really did not enjoy the movie till the very end. I love satires and subtle humor, but just could not understand what everyone raved about.

You can't compare Heath's to Jack's. It's a different director, different character, different feel. Am I right?
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2008 6:52 pm

Jon Heder? Clay? affraid Razz
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2008 8:11 pm

Quote :
Jon Heder? Clay?
Well, that went buzzing by me like a hummingbird on a mission...*scratches head*

Thanks for the link on YIODP! It sounds like it is right up my alley! Very cool Johnny, Colin, and the other guy stepped in to play the rest of Heath's part. It sounds really bizarre and out there. Twisted Evil

ETA: Duh! Jon Heder is the name of the actor that played Napolean D! Laughing Shocked
Back to top Go down
Janice

Number of posts : 109

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2008 11:00 pm

I'm probably going to see "The Dark Knight" this weekend or the next. EVERYONE is talking about it! I called Comcast with a question and the tech guy even asked me if I had seen it yet. Then he answered my question. lol!
Back to top Go down
Badger

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2007-07-24

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2008 11:27 pm

Oh, I don't mean I would compare Nicholson or Ledger in terms of who is better. It's more about how they each interpret the role. ETA: I've been hearing fairly mixed reviews on the movie itself but everyone I know who's seen it has come back raving about Heath's performance.

Regarding Jon Heder, I don't think he necessarily looks like Clay - although they're both tall and thin - but you know he'd rock the geek to chic thing. And being that he has very strict standards for the roles he plays - no cursing, no sex scenes, no drugs or drinking - you know he'd get Clay's "family-friendly" vibe.

Besides, don't you want to see this scene:

"Well, Clayton, and what will you be singing for us today?"

"Whatever I feel like singing today. GOSH!"
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 3:48 am

Quote :
You can't compare Heath's to Jack's. It's a different director, different character, different feel. Am I right?
Totally different. Heath brings the creepshow and vulenerablity.

Oh GOSH I love Napolean Dynamite. It is hysterical .I have watched it numerous times.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 5:45 am

Yeah Badger I think he would be great as Clay. I was just kidding because Heder was soooo nerdy and homely in the ND role. My youngest son loved that movie. He has naturally curly hair and wore glasses (he has contacts now) and one of his teachers last year called him Napoleon in class. I don't think Justin was all that amused Suspect Razz

My oldest saw The Dark Knight on Sunday. He thought it was "really good" and Heath "was great", but he didn't really rave about it. My youngest still hasn't seen it. He has been too busy re-doing his room and making his own furniture!! Just like my Dad! He has soooo many of my Dad's talents and traits! My Dad would be THRILLED that Justin started making furniture Crying or Very sad I so wish he could see the tables Justin made. Anyway, Justin does want to see the movie really bad so hopefully he will get to see it soon.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 8:19 am

Wow, I hope this isn't true Shocked

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,388124,00.html
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 10:22 am

Yikes I cannot believe that about Christian Bale! he always seemed so mild mannered. But who knows??
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 10:31 am

Well, it is true he was arrested Tuesday morning. He has been released. He is to return for a hearing in September though.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 10:52 am

Yeah I saw it in The Daily Mail. I read my british newspaper online everyday. I just meant is is hard for me to believe Of course I don't know him either. It's a shame.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 11:00 am

Oh, I know what you meant. I just was referring to my "I hope it isn't true" post and then I found that it was true. Yep, we don't know stars at all no matter how many times we see them interviewed. We have to remember they are actors and all their interviews can be "acting" too. Tyra Banks seems like a total sweetie whenever I see her on TV and lately I have been reading TONS of blogs and such where people who are in her TV audience say she is nothing like the person she "pretends" to be when the cameras are rolling.

It does seem to be that a lot of the really brilliant actors seems to have "issues". Why is that?
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 11:45 am

from People.com:

Quote :
"Christian Bale attended a London police station today, on a voluntary basis, in order to assist with an allegation that had been made against him to the police by his mother and sister," the actor's reps said in the statement. "Mr. Bale who denies the allegation, co-operated throughout, gave his account in full of the events in question, and has left the station without any charge being made against him by the police. At this time, there will be no further comment by Mr. Bale."

and TMZ is reporting rumors that the accusations were for *verbal* assault.

There are reports circulating that Christian Bale was arrested for verbal assault, and one of Bale's reps is echoing that.

Who knew, but we called around jolly old England and found there is such a thing as verbal assault, Class 4 and Class 5. Class 4 is more aggravated than 5, with "an intent to cause alarm."

Was Christian's offense mouthing off to mom? We're checking.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 11:54 am

I'm just really interested in what really went down. I mean, it was in a hotel suite and it's his mom and sister and charges are being pressed? So either something is fishy here or his mom and sister really hate him enough to bring him up on charges, which is really odd. I mean, he's starring in the biggest movie in the world right now They had to know this would get some press.

He seems nice but incredibly INCREDIBLY intense.
Back to top Go down
Janice

Number of posts : 109

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 12:02 pm

Quote :
Yep, we don't know stars at all no matter how many times we see them interviewed. We have to remember they are actors and all their interviews can be "acting" too.

A number of years ago, I met a young director who said something similar to that. What we see, hear and read about many celebrities is not necessarily who they really are. Some that play or appear to be assertive types are actually shy and introverted and others who seem perky and upbeat are actually very tempermental and "complicated." I had been discussing this with a coworker just a couple of weeks before who insisted that a certain actress on TV would be great to have as a friend because she was so perky. The director said it's what is called "acting."

I don't think celebrities are any different than the non-celebrity majority in terms of issues. They just get their issues publicized, blown up and even morphed into something worse.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 12:47 pm

I mean don't you think the whole thing sounds a tad bizarre? His Mum and sister are what strikes me as odd.
Plus GE is right he is in the biggest movie in the world right now, Anything he does will be called out.

Last edited by aerwin on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 12:58 pm

It would have to be pretty bad for a mom to go to the cops. I can't imagine anything harder than the decision to cause such trouble for your son. But who knows what sort of issues the family has had before. Maybe the man is really trouble scratch I cannot imagine it being done just to get press. That would be just weird. He is already getting a ton of good press, why would he or his family want bad press? Jealous sister?
Back to top Go down
Badger

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 7:36 pm

I saw the headline about Christian on a celebrity gossip newsgroup but I thought it might be one of those troll things. Hopefully, it's all a big misunderstanding.

Trivia: Christian Bale's late dad was married to Gloria Steinem.

Regarding actors, I read an interview with Alan Alda where he talked about meeting a fan who told him she "loved" him. He told her, no she didn't love him she loved his character "Hawkeye Pierce" but that wasn't really him. She told him she meant she loved him from seeing him on talk shows, etc. And he said he told her "But that's not me either".
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 7:46 pm

Interesting quote from Alda. It does make you wonder if a lot of the stars never show who they "really" are.

I had no idea until I saw E.T. tonight that Christian Bale was the little boy in that Spielberg movie - "Empire of the Sun" Shocked
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 9:28 pm

I can't imagine that his mother and sister pressed charges for "verbal assault".

Acting is not a profession for "normal" people, and never was. Especially if you are artistic about it. You spend your life doing the opposite of what normal people do. Normal people suppress monsters. As an actor you dig them up and get comfy with them so you can call on them easily.

I do find it hard to imagine him physically assaulting his mother, but ya never know. My brother, not otherwise violent, ever, did once punch my most universally insulting yuppy controlling sister in the nose. I didn't but might have liked to.
Back to top Go down
Badger

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 9:45 pm

They grow up fast, don't they, firecracker?
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 9:49 pm

Wow! Was he an adult when he punched her? I know my mom said when she and her brothers and sisters were kids they all hit each other - a lot! Her brothers had fist fights in their teens. Then they all calmed down and no hitting as adults - though there were some verbal spats.

Interesting point about actors Frazz. Getting cozy with the monsters. I did read that Heath seemed to have some trouble getting out of the dark place he went for The Joker. So sad.

They sure do Badger Crying or Very sad I remember that movie and that cute little boy. I just cannot believe he grew up to be an American Psycho, a Machinist and Batman! Shocked
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 6:13 am

I have never been that mad at my brother or sister. My brother maybe sometimes but not enough to hit. The whole thing seems bizarre to me about Christian. My son is going to that movie for the THIRD time today. Goodness.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 3:43 pm

From Daily mail:

Quote :
EXCLUSIVE: Arrested Batman star 'flew into a rage after his mother insulted his wife.

Bale on bail: Actor Christian Bale leaving London's Belgravia police station yesterday

Batman star Christian Bale confronted his mother after she allegedly insulted his wife, MailOnline has learned.

Sources close to the actor said he 'flew off the handle' at London's Dorchester hotel after Jenny Bale said 'some outrageous things'.

Yesterday, the Welsh-born actor was arrested and bailed over an assault claim, which he has denied.

However, a source close to the 34-year-old actor says Bale is confident he’s done nothing wrong, and blames his mother.

He is also said to have become depressed over the death of close friend and co-star Heath Ledger.

The source said: ‘Christian was stressed, but he didn’t lay a finger on anyone. Instead, he flew off the handle and cussed his mother. He just got very loud because his mother was saying some very outrageous things about him, and his wife.’

‘Christian's attitude is that this was his mother's fault because she became very provocative in an argument they were having,’ the source said, adding: ‘Things got out of control and he now says he wishes he just left the room.

‘Normally Christian would just call a friend and go out to a pub to cool off. But he was literally trapped into this confrontation with his mother and sister because there was an army of fans and paparazzi outside.’

The incident apparently comes at a time when his marriage to Sandra 'Sibi' Blazic, a former model and make-up artist, is enduring difficulties.

'He has stresses in his marriage,' the source said. 'He can have a terrible temper. Instead of lashing out at his wife, he sometimes lashes out at people around him.'

The source added: ‘His marriage is not perfect, but his relationship with his mother is in much more trouble.

Arrested: Bale, pictured on Monday night at the Dark Knight premiere in London with wife Sibi, is accused of assault

‘They're going to need a "cooling off" period because his mother said some pretty outrageous things to him that really set him off.

‘He regrets the way she treated him in their argument a lot more than having to talk to police about it. Christian has admitted that something just snapped, but he didn't threaten anyone with violence.

‘He's under a lot of pressure right now and simply got incredibly loud with members of his family around. I think his wife is going to be very important to him after all this is over because she does, at the end of the day, know how to calm him down.’

Bale's wife, who has been married to him for eight years, was by his side at the premiere of The Dark Knight, which was also attended by co-stars Sir Michael Caine, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Aaron Eckhart.

The source also claimed Bale had been deeply affected by the death of Ledger, who was found dead earlier this year from an overdose of anti-depressants and sleeping tablets.

'Without Ledger around, he's found it more and more difficult to communicate with those around him, especially his family.’

It was reported he found it hard to shake off the mental strains of the role, and told an interviewer he was having trouble sleeping.

Friends: Bale, pictured with Heath Ledger at the after party of his film Rescue Dawn in June 2007, was deeply upset by the death of his friend and co-star in January

The two actors, known for being intense about their craft, formed a friendship when they both played Bob Dylan in the 2007 movie I’m Not There.

A friend said: 'Christian pretends he's calm and collected but you really started to see the cracks in his façade in January, right after Heath Ledger had died.

'Christian was in the middle of a very brief break from work when he heard the news, and it was massive blow to him.

'They had become very close during the making of The Dark Knight and Christian went into virtual hiding for the six weeks after Heath was found dead.

‘He wasn't returning phone calls and he wasn't a happy man. It's foolish to think that he's been able to completely shake off that grief just as Heath and his work is finally being seen by audiences.

'He expected to share this moment with his friend, and now he can't.

In a recent interview, Bale admitted that he has been depressed and has experienced bouts of insomnia.

Yesterday he spent nearly five hours being questioned at Belgravia police station.

The multi-millionaire actor, who shot to fame aged 13, refused to comment as he was driven back to the Dorchester in one of the hotel's limousines.

His spokesman said he denied the accusations against him and claimed that the assault allegation was made by Bale's mother and sister.

Family drama: Bale's mother Jenny, pictured left with the actor in 2000, and sister Sharon, right, outside her home in Dorset yesterday

His lawyer said: ‘Christian Bale attended a London police station today, on a voluntary basis, in order to assist with an allegation that had been made against him to the police by his mother and sister.

‘Mr Bale who denies the allegation, co-operated throughout, gave his account in full of the events in question, and has left the station without any charge being made against him by the police. At this time, there will be no further comment by Mr. Bale.’

However, talking to the Daily Mail yesterday, Bale's mother Jenny insisted she was not the one who called police.

Sharon and Jenny Bale had travelled from their homes in Dorset to attend Monday night's premiere in London's Leicester Square.

They were in Bale's hotel suite in Park Lane on Sunday when the actor allegedly angrily lashed out at them.

Having been told about the incident, police waited until they had spoken to his alleged victims before taking action.

Sharon and Jenny Bale called at a Hampshire police station on Monday to make their statements, which were then passed on to the Metropolitan Police for further investigation.

Bale agreed to be interviewed yesterday. He arrived at Belgravia police station at 11.40am and did not leave until 4.20pm.

He was released on bail until September pending further inquiries.

Yesterday, at her £275,000, detached house in Dorset, Jenny Bale said: 'Yes I was there and yes there was a family situation but the police are handling it and I cannot say any more at the moment. We didn't call the police to the scene. I can't say any more but we didn't call the police.'

Computer programmer Sharon initially denied any knowledge of an assault, but then admitted there was 'an incident'.

Talking at her £240,000 semi-detached home in nearby Wimborne she said: 'There was an incident but the police are dealing with it. It is an extremely sensitive situation.'

Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 3:54 pm

Thanks for bringing that here Aerwin. Aw, dysfunctional families. Makes me so happy I am one of the lucky ones who grew up in a happy home.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MOVIES! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 17 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MOVIES!
Page 17 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next