Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Animals/Pets!

Go down 
+4
Green Eyez
firecracker
frazzle
Luca
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Animals/Pets! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 10:09 pm

Hey, I pee on the shoes of men I don't like! Razz

5 feet?! You are a little peanut! I am 5'2"! I could take you! Laughing

I didn't know standard poodles got that big Shocked I would love a dog that didn't shed! Maybe Carol and your dad will get a puppy to cheer them up! That is what my folks used to do.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 10:09 pm

Badger, Sandy sounds like a special character. 14 is quite old for a large dog. I have been told by others that often dogs will go away from their homes to die. I don't understand why, but they do that.

Thanks for sharing some of your memories of him with us.
Back to top Go down
Badger

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 10:38 pm

You're welcome, luca.

firecracker, my dad passed away in 2002. In fact, Sandy used to wait for him to come home for a really long time. Sad They really bonded.

Carol and Lois (that's my sister) still have Lily, Rosie the outdoor cat and Morris the indoor cat so I don't thnk they're looking for any more animals right now. Razz

FWIW, standard poodles who are bred for the show ring aren't quite as large as the ones who go to be pets. It's like chihuahuas. The ones you see at dog shows are always quite a bit smaller than the ones you see as pets. Not sure why that is.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 1:08 am

OMG. That dog sounds like a chocolate lab I sit for who will find food no matter where it is on the counter.

The dog running away reminds me of a joke a comedian tells.

"My dog loves me! He loves it here!"

"Really? Open the door."
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 5:09 am

Luca wrote:
How old was he? That is really tragic and sounds like it was a shock to everyone.

Too bad they did'nt freeze some of his sperm...they do that with top stallions for breeding purposes.
He was 7. That is not that old for a bc. I am still crying. I really wanted those puppies. I wish someone had thought of freezing the sperm.

I am cracking up at that standard poodle and the candy though. I've never seen a dog eat candy.

Go here and watch this border collie on Britian's Got Talent:

http://perezhilton.com/tv/?videoid=074962aab6723
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 8:05 am

Badger - sad to read about Sandy. Standard poodles are incredible dogs.

Aerwin - so sorry about no pups.
Back to top Go down
Badger

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 12:08 pm

Dogs aren't supposed to eat candy especially chocolate although Sandy loved it. He was a large dog though and could handle it, but it can be extremely toxic to the toy breeds.

FWIW, he didn't just steal "people food". I remember he also found a stash of doggie treats - he and Lily got one every morning after going outside -- and ate the entire bag.

Here's a funny story about Lily the rat terrier and Morris the cat. Morris gets dry food but he also gets 1/3 can of moist cat food every morning and every evening. In the morning after he finishes eating the moist food, Lily gets whatever he leaves in the bowl. Morris is fed on the bathroom counter since the dogs steal his food if it's put on the floor. Anyway, if you wait too long to let Lily have Morris's leftovers, she'll actually growl and bark at you until you let her have them.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 12:57 pm

Aw, cute stories! Pets are really special!
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 4:21 pm

My 2 peach faced lovebirds (I lost my sweetest one a while back) really do evolve. They are about 8 years old now (will live for 15-20 years), a girl and a boy, brother and sister. They live, when I am not around, in separate cages. When I am around I take them out and let them fly around the big hallway they live in and play on a birdie playground and perches. Plus I let them climb all over me.

The girl bird was always a pretty dangerous biter.

Who knows why, but in the past month or so, she completely gave up biting! Now she snuggles and kisses and gently nibbles me.

She must have had an epiphany of some sort, all on her own.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 7:02 pm

Maybe she has accepted you as the leader of the birdie herd! That is cool.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 7:31 pm

Aw Frazz, what a sweet and beautiful visual of you with your little birdies I love you
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 1:06 pm

Nice to read about how well the bird has taken to you, fraz!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 10:36 am

WOW! This is such a beautiful story and video! I am still in tears from watching it. Happy lovely tears!

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/christian.asp
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 1260
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 12:24 pm

I received this one in my email last week. It's truly incredible isn't it? Such a happy moment, you can't help but shed a tear.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 8:51 pm

Awww, that really is sweet.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 3:36 pm

Did you guys see this? What an amazing story!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25681756/
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 10:45 pm

Cockatoo Roller Skating

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/stadium.weblogsinc.com/tmz/images/2008/10/_0011_13043501_H6212422_full.jpg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Animals/Pets!   Animals/Pets! - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Animals/Pets!
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wizened Women :: Hello, hello :: Chit-chat, News, Real Life, Get motivated-
Jump to: