Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

American Idol

Go down 
+10
Janice
Green Eyez
Sky
Luca
muse
austin
abrahammy
southernbelle
frazzle
firecracker
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

American Idol - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2007 9:23 pm

I never thought Sanjaya was gay.

That vid is super cute! He is a cutie and seems like a sweet kid. I don't hate the kid. I just wish he could sing better.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2007 9:35 pm

From rollingstone:

Quote :
Kelly Clarkson
My December
Out Summer

Clarkson's previous album, 2004's Breakaway, sold nearly 11 million copies -- but the original American Idol winner still had higher aspirations for her latest release. "My first two albums are very scattered, with different producers and different writers," she says. "They're collections of songs, not albums by any means." Clarkson wanted her third album to be more cohesive, to tell the story of a tumultuous two years in her life -- during which she won two Grammys, went through a rough breakup, hit her mid-twenties and tried to grow up. Against her label's wishes, she opted to write the songs herself, with members of her band. The resulting album, produced by David Kahne (who worked on the Strokes' First Impressions of Earth), ranges from alt-country (she names Patty Griffin and Ryan Adams as influences) to Foo Fighters-style rock to bare-bones acoustic ballads. "Never Again" and "One Minute," the candidates for the first single, are both rockers; Clarkson calls the former, penned about the aforementioned breakup, "one of the most bitter songs I've ever written in my life." Kahne brought in an unlikely guest musician for about half the tracks: ex-Minutemen bassist Mike Watt."He played on the rock ones and also on some of the ones with a more singer-songwriter vibe," says Clarkson. "He's a badass on the bass -- he can play anything." (BRIAN HIATT)

and an update from the producer David Kahne:
Watt didn't play on Never Again. If you like Watt's playing, there's a track on the album that will blow your mind; one of the best guitar riffs I've ever had to work with, and Watt roars on that track. Never Again is amazing too. Kelly tells a story so powerfully, and sings a bridge that
makes me get a chill every time I hear it, and I produced it...

and finally: Kelly has said her favorite song on the album and the best song she's ever written is called "sober."
source: www.rollingstone.com

I had no idea Breakaway has sold nearly 11 million!! Go Kelly! I look forward to her new CD. Love her.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2007 10:32 pm

About Sanjaya...He is cute and funny, but when it gets to the top 8 and someone of that caliber is there...it kind of makes a mockery of the whole process to me.

FC, what in the heck is Clay doing with his tongue in your avi???? Or dare I ask...affraid
Laughing
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

Number of posts : 502

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2007 11:52 pm

Okay, my fellow new board women. The following is a word (words) of warning to those of us (me) who became obsessed with an AI contestant who ddidn't really deserve our obsession and our limited energy. I'm not talking about Clay here.

This was written in January '06. "Covers face with hands."

All I Am Aware

Breaking hearts like balloons
Don’t you know that they are fragile?
We thought you hung the moon
Believed that you were magical
Maybe you didn’t lead us there
Is this really so tragic? All
I am aware is that I still care.

Reminded me of someone else
Never knew who you would be
You were so beautiful
And shined with a glow for me
I know that I don’t love you still
‘Cause I’ve realized what’s there
Yet I am aware that I still care.

All I am aware is that I still care
But why I cannot say
You never said two words to me
That weren’t from that game you play.

When I fell under your spell
You filled up my brain
and ran through my veins
So many letters, I’m sure you could tell,
Now that I’m clean and now that I’m sane,
All I am aware is that I still care.

All I am aware is that I still care
But why I cannot say
You never said two words to me
That weren’t from that game you play.
Yet all I am aware is that I still care. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/austin_ambrosia
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 5:35 am

Austin that is beautiful. Don't be Embarassed You wrote it from the heart. Anyone can see that. I think you captured the way a lot of people feel/felt. You should be proud. It is a wonderful gift to be able to put one's feeling into words so beautifully.

Luca, there was a gala last Sat. night for Clay's foundation. There was an auction. Clay was doing all sorts of silly things to get the bids up. It worked. In the case of my avi, two people were bidding on signed music sheets for his single Invisible. He was teasing the one lady who stopped bidding and YES she bid again! Over $200,000 was raised with just the few items there that were auctioned. There was more stuff auctioned on the internet plus donations. Don't know the full total yet.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 8:05 am

Austin, that's really good. I'm pretty much in the same place that you are regarding that fellow who didn't quite deserve the worship... still care. Really beautifully written.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 8:10 am

An interesting read. Curtesy of Skyhooked at IDF.

American Idol - Page 2 CommentaryMedium
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 8:43 am

I just read another article on Kelly Clarkson's upcoming CD and it states her Breakaway sales at 6 million and not 11 million, which is more in line of what I had previously heard. Wonder if there is a way I can find out the real figure scratch I would love to know if she really sold anywhere near 11 million. I know Carrie is on her way to 6 million sales of her first CD.
Back to top Go down
muse

Number of posts : 18

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 9:03 am

abrahammy wrote:
Austin, that's really good. I'm pretty much in the same place that you are regarding that fellow who didn't quite deserve the worship... still care. Really beautifully written.

Very lovely poem Austin. Makes me wonder for myself how I went from the place that both you and abrahammy are in regard to that certain someone to the place that I am now--indifferent. Since I have pretty much stepped away from that fandom, and another, unfortunately similar, fandom, I am trying to figure out whether it is the "undeserving" persons who made me numb out to them or is/was it the interactions with the online fandom that did it or a combination thereof. I really wonder if I would still be a fan if I were watching from afar, reading a well put together website, reading professional newsletters and career updates put out by trained PR people--in other words if I had kept a respectable distance and not allowed myself to get too close. Then maybe I would have focused on the actual talent and not the human faults that ultimately seemed to have killed my fangirliness. Not sure that I will ever be able to answer that question for myself but it is one that bugs me a lot.

ETA: Just wanted to clarify a bit: I guess what I am wondering out loud about is what the impact is of modern technology, instantaneous communication and the Internet on not just fandoms but public opinion in general---how does it affect our expectations and judgements of people. Mean this in a general way only---and not specific to any particular person or fandom.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 11:06 am

Quote :
-in other words if I had kept a respectable distance and not allowed myself to get too close. Then maybe I would have focused on the actual talent and not the human faults that ultimately seemed to have killed my fangirliness.

IMO that particular fandom is much, much too close to its object. It's partly his own fault - but frankly, I don't think anybody can really live up to the level of scrutiny he has, because you kind of HAVE to be a bit arrogant and self-serving to get that famous in the first place.

A little distance is really helpful. It's still fun for me to watch him perform, but declaring him a paragon of any kind of virtue is really a recipe for disaster. Of course, I could say the same thing about Clay Aiken.

One note on Sanjaya: I agree that he's a talented kid who is not ready for what he's trying to do right now. However, if he steps away from the show of his own volition he will not be allowed to go on tour, and will therefore lose hundreds of thousands of dollars. That's a lot to ask him to give up.

Also, the truth of the matter is that he's never going to get another shot. The judges did him a huge disservice by putting him through to the 24 now, but the fact is he's here, the joke has already been made, and he can either try to mature musically on the air or fade away, his one chance at stardom gone forever like that of everybody else.

Also, after hearing Blake do Mack the Knife, and remembering Clay's version of the same song... I am not sold on the idea that the talent gap is ALL that wide. I genuinely prefer his voice to that of Phil and Chris. I think the media is dumping on Sanjaya to avoid facing the utter mediocrity of everybody in this season except the Divas.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 11:22 am

I don't think the kid should walk away now either. I do think any chance of a serious music career is screwed. He NEVER should have been put on this season though. Who know what a difference a few years would have made.

The difference for me between Clay and "the other one" (I have no idea why his actual name is never said here scratch ) is Clay has been smart enough to never get TOO close to his fans, both in RL or on the boards. We may never know how "that" fandom may have gone if "he" did not choose to have a four way with people from his largest fan board. We may never have been privy to so many of his "flaws". If he didn't answer so many PMs and if he didn't posts pissy rants on his fan boards. If he had a little more self control in those regards, as Clay and I assume many other stars, the fandom may not have become so fractured and bitter.

Though for me the fangirlie went away with the PFTSOB shows. He was just so different from who I fell for on AI. I loved theather geek with a little rock much more that "oh I am so sexy rockstar guy".

Last edited by on Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
muse

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 11:22 am

abrahammy wrote:

A little distance is really helpful. It's still fun for me to watch him perform, but declaring him a paragon of any kind of virtue is really a recipe for disaster. Of course, I could say the same thing about Clay Aiken.

I tend to agree that having a celeb online schmoozing with fans as if they are friends, enemies or acquaintances may be the reason that I have had such a negative reaction. Because lord knows there are tons of celebs that I love for their talent and in spite of their faults. But I never was involved directly with their fans or fandoms in any organized way. And of course, none ever appeared on a reality show that molded their personas in ways that were at odds with their true nature.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 11:26 am

Quote :
he difference for me between Clay and "the other one" (I have no idea why his actual name is never said here scratch ) is Clay has been smart enough to never get TOO close to his fans, both in RL or on the boards.

Yep. You are spot on about that. I have become very aware of how wise that is. And I have not, before now, said Constantine's name because while I still enjoy the performer and wish to continue to do so, I have decided I personally don't want to discuss him much here. I am fantasizing about a sanctuary. Laughing

And I break my own rule.
Quote :
I loved theather geek with a little rock much more
That's the guy that showed up for Brel. Loved it.

Last edited by on Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 11:28 am

I get ya I love you
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 11:31 am

Quote :
I don't think the kid should walk away now either. I do think any chance of a serious music career is screwed.

Oh, I don't know. Have you heard his mp3s? Sanjaya records REALLY well. I think he could make somebody a lot of money.

This guy thinks so, too.

http://www.foxesonidol.com/cgi-bin/ae.pl?mode=1&article=article2078.art&page=1
Back to top Go down
muse

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 11:45 am

abrahammy wrote:
Quote :
I don't think the kid should walk away now either. I do think any chance of a serious music career is screwed.

Oh, I don't know. Have you heard his mp3s? Sanjaya records REALLY well. I think he could make somebody a lot of money.

The mp3s of quite a few of this year's group are very good. Many seem to have far better recording voices than live performance voices. Which is the case with many successful performers including Madonna, Gwen Stefani and even sometimes Amy Lee (evananescence for those who don't follow that group). Given how successful last season's group has been, I have to wonder if they weren't looking for "recording"voices this time around. Otherwise the season makes no sense to me at all.
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 12:26 pm

Thanks for the comments. It is hard to put something out there because it is so personal, although in this case I know some other people can relate. I felt safe posting it here, which is a very nice feeling!

I am not completely over the issue though. I still do care, although not nearly as much. I hope that's okay to put here. Is anyone here a psychologist?
geek
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 1:06 pm

I think it's even more complicated when it's somebody you have actually met and with whom you've had conversations - or arguments - that went beyond "Hi, you were great, can I have your autograph."
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 2:12 pm

Of course it is OK Austin. I hope you always feel free to share your thoughts, feelings, emotions and poems here. I think this is a very safe group in that regard. Even though I am indifferent to that artist I can still appreciate what we all go through as fans of an artist. It ain't easy being a Clay either ya know, just for different reasons. I think it is much safer admiring from a distance which is why I have never tried for a M&G pass to see Clay. I like my fantasy version of him Laughing
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 2:16 pm

I think the more seasons of American Idol they have, the less important it becomes who wins. AI got smart last year by helping so many of them get records out. All the more $$ for them.

This year's contestants are pretty bland, with the exception of Sanjaya. I have not heard his mp3s (anybody got a link?), but his singing is genuinely terrible on the show. Sanjaya seems to be gaining gleeful strength from staying past better singers. If he records well, than what's the big deal about him winning?

Melinda Doolittle has a fantastic voice, but the truth is I doubt she will sing songs I'd want to buy.

I know I won't buy Sanyja's music, either, but if 12 year olds will (does he really sing any worse than, say, Ashlee Simpson?), I don't think that is an outrage.

Are places like IDF going crazy for anybody (positive or negative) besides Sanjaya?
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 2:26 pm

Yeah, a lot of teenagers like Blake and Chris, too.
Back to top Go down
muse

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 2:40 pm

frazzle wrote:
I think the more seasons of American Idol they have, the less important it becomes who wins. AI got smart last year by helping so many of them get records out. All the more $$ for them.

This year's contestants are pretty bland, with the exception of Sanjaya. I have not heard his mp3s (anybody got a link?), but his singing is genuinely terrible on the show. Sanjaya seems to be gaining gleeful strength from staying past better singers. If he records well, than what's the big deal about him winning?

Melinda Doolittle has a fantastic voice, but the truth is I doubt she will sing songs I'd want to buy.

I know I won't buy Sanyja's music, either, but if 12 year olds will (does he really sing any worse than, say, Ashlee Simpson?), I don't think that is an outrage.

Are places like IDF going crazy for anybody (positive or negative) besides Sanjaya?

IDF seems to have two favorites: Blake and Chris Richardson, which is one of the reasons that I think TPTB have so far been playing up the friendship between the two of them. Even though I read somewhere that Nigel supposedly said that Sanjaya is good for AI, I would like to believe that the statement is really an attempt at damage control and not one of true belief. But maybe Sanjaya is pulling in some demographics that are keeping the ratings steady. It has had an opposite effect on me mainly because I see his performances as a mockery of the whole thing. Some people admire that because they think it is his way of fighting back at being used as the "no talent villain who stays too long" character in the cast. But I just can't get past it--particularly when I see someone like Gina who wanted it so badly and worked so hard to stay each week. It overshadows the whole show for me.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 3:47 pm

I completely agree with you Muse. It has overshadowed the season. I hate that Gina left before her time. I adore AI and I do find this whole Sanjaya thing mocking a show I have loved for 6 seasons and it just ain't funny to me. Like I said, nothing personal against the kid. I'm sure he is a great kid, but I really wish the season did not become ALL about him, and it really is ALL about him now. I really feel for the others. I know it is not the most exciting group ever, or really all that exciting at all, but still it must be frustrating for them. IF Sanjaya really goes on to have a serious music career I will be shocked. I really will. He may make some fast money for a couple years off of this experience, but I just don't see how you go from this huge joke all season to "respected artist". I think it will be take the money and run. Not that there is anything wrong with "take the money and run" heck I would, but if we are talking about his career a few years from now I'll just eat my words, or crow or something.
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 3:53 pm

firecracker wrote:

Though for me the fangirlie went away with the PFTSOB shows. He was just so different from who I fell for on AI. I loved theather geek with a little rock much more that "oh I am so sexy rockstar guy".

You then may have loved him in Brel as I did. I loved the whole show actually. Didn't see it WITHOUT him, so I can't compare, but it was a lovely experience overall. And he was quite theater geeky in it. That's why I really wanted to see it.
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 3:59 pm

abrahammy wrote:
I think it's even more complicated when it's somebody you have actually met and with whom you've had conversations - or arguments - that went beyond "Hi, you were great, can I have your autograph."

Yeah. Conversations. And sort of arguments. Ha.

And then after Brel, he stopped talking to the GSers, looked up at me from about 10 feet away and said, "Hey, I didn't know you were going to be here!" I have to admit I was inappropriately a little bit thrilled. Especially about the GSers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

American Idol
Page 2 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next