Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chitchat

Go down 
+6
Luca
firecracker
aerwin
frazzle
Green Eyez
Sky
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 1260
Registration date : 2007-04-06

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 11:15 pm

You all are giving me way too much credit. I've only done Tandem skydives. I only wish I was younger, had some extra cash and the nerve to skydive solo! Let me tell you...........going out the door........is the most exhilerating experience!!! Freefall is amazing....you really can steer your body just by lifting or dropping an arm or leg. When the chute opens..........it is peacefully quiet except for the rustle of the fabric of the parachute. Generally, you jump from around 10,000 to 13,000 ft. and freefall for about 1 minute before the chute is opened. I've done only 9 tandem skydives and 1 tandem paraglide ride, which is fun but not much of an adrenaline rush. I would love to do a Zipline, but I can't find any in my area.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 11:38 pm

What does the tandem mean? Is that solo or with a guide?

I have a friend that recently did her first sky dive with a guide where they are connected together. She really thought it was cool. Don't know how old you are, but she is in her mid 50's. She also flies a small airplane...you two would have tons in common. Anyway, her son wants to be a skydive instructor and videographer. He works in Florida somewhere at an indoor skydiving place where you can practice skydiving with an airmachine or something or other!

The thing that I did'nt realize is how expensive it is to do it. It makes sense though. Between the plane, the equipment rental, the instruction, and the instructors, it adds up fast.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 12:32 am

Luca wrote:
What does the tandem mean? Is that solo or with a guide?

I have a friend that recently did her first sky dive with a guide where they are connected together. She really thought it was cool. Don't know how old you are, but she is in her mid 50's. She also flies a small airplane...you two would have tons in common. Anyway, her son wants to be a skydive instructor and videographer. He works in Florida somewhere at an indoor skydiving place where you can practice skydiving with an airmachine or something or other!

The thing that I did'nt realize is how expensive it is to do it. It makes sense though. Between the plane, the equipment rental, the instruction, and the instructors, it adds up fast.

This is a Tandem skydive...........you are attached to a tandem instructor. It can be an expensive sport.

Chitchat - Page 6 Outthedoor
Chitchat - Page 6 A018_7
Chitchat - Page 6 Flyfre

Last edited by Sky on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 6:07 am

So are you on the bottom or the top? (sounds like a very personal question Razz )
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 7:03 am

I am on the bottom............LOL!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 7:10 am

Cool! You really are brave to do that! I just NEVER could jump out of a plane No Heck, I don't even like flying in them Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 8:07 am

I love flying. I didn't love or like the flight I just took from Toronto to MN though, that was a rough flight! affraid

I always wanted to skydive and then a friend of mine was going to go with her son and asked me if I wanted to do one too. Her son never did go but we did. I doubt I would have done it without going with someone the first time. She didn't fall in love with the sky, but I did. One of my sons also went for a tandem with me....twice. My other son wouldn't even come to watch, he only came when his wife and I did tandems! I have one adventurous son and one not so adventursome. Smile
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 9:02 am

I don't think either of my sons would jump out of a plane and I am FINE with that! Laughing I don't think I could watch a loved one jump from a plane either No so I understand how your son felt.

We used to go to Hinkley, Illinois (only about 30 mins away from us) on Saturdays to watch the skydiving. There is a place there that does all sorts of cool things. A large plane goes up and dozens of people jump out and the sky is filled with fantastic colorful parachutes!! I have tons of 35 mm pix of our times there. We haven't done that in a few years though. The boys grew tired of it and once they didn't want to go anymore we stopped. There are picnic grounds to make a day of it. Now I am thinking of hubby and I going there sometime this summer.

We have gone to the big Air and Water Show in downtown Chicago off Lake Michigan many times. That is also great fun!

I love the sky too! Just I love looking at it from the ground up and not the sky down! Razz
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 12:08 pm

Quote :
GE...why not put another hot picture of him up and lets postulate if we would jump out of a plane to do him.

Well, darlin', I'm very happy to oblige you.

TV Guide Sexiest Men Photo Shoot

Ignore that part about his "new fiance" and how "into each other" they are. He's back on the market.

MORE you say?

Chitchat - Page 6 Jaredheart1vs6

OK...maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe I'd jump out of a plane if he was strapped to my back...

Sky...you're a waaaaaaaaaaay braver soul than I am.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 12:49 pm

PHEW! Sky is way braver than I am. I get sick just thinking about flying. I literally have to be knocked out.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 1:27 pm

Aerwin, I start to panic as soon as the ticket is purchased pale I haven't even flown in several years because it is so bad for me No
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 7:26 pm

I am not a sky diver, but I played one on TV. In a comic McDonalds commercial, to be exact. I was the tough veteran trying to get a young scaredy cat to feel like a man. I fed him a jalapeno burger to get up the courage.

They had us leap out of the door of a real airplane parked in a hangar...but onto lovely mattress stuff about three feet below.

I felt very adventurous.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 7:50 pm

That sounds awesome Frazz!!! I so wish I could see the commercial! I bet you were a riot!
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 8:14 pm

I might have a video cassette of it somewhere. If I find it I'll put it up on youtube and put a link.

I wish I had been more organized about that. I do not have much of the stuff I did.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 8:50 pm

frazzle wrote:
I am not a sky diver, but I played one on TV. In a comic McDonalds commercial, to be exact. I was the tough veteran trying to get a young scaredy cat to feel like a man. I fed him a jalapeno burger to get up the courage.

They had us leap out of the door of a real airplane parked in a hangar...but onto lovely mattress stuff about three feet below.

I felt very adventurous.

That sounds sooo cool! It's a bit of a rush isn't it, even though it wasn't for real!!! I'd love to see the video.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 9:24 pm

Frazzle, I can totally picture you as the spicey skydiver who feeds someone a jalepeno burger to give them nerve!!!

Can't wait to see it!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 10:16 pm

Oh I so hope that you find the tape!! bounce I want so much to see it!!
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 12:33 pm

OK, count me in as someone who'd like to see that.

Also, count me in the fear of flying people who start to get scared when the ticket is purchased.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 12:56 pm

Hey GE, we have something else in common! Usually it is just singers and men! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 1:46 pm

firecracker wrote:
Hey GE, we have something else in common! Usually it is just singers and men! Laughing
HA! You so do not want to be the person sitting next to me during take-offs and landings. If you happen to be that person, wear long sleeves.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 1:58 pm

I guess we would be clawing each other's arm! affraid

We had so much turbulence on our last flight and flew through such a storm that I told my husband if we manage to get on the ground safely he will never get me on a plane again! And he hasn't No Terrified to fly! I really am!
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 3:07 pm

firecracker wrote:
I guess we would be clawing each other's arm! affraid

We had so much turbulence on our last flight and flew through such a storm that I told my husband if we manage to get on the ground safely he will never get me on a plane again! And he hasn't No Terrified to fly! I really am!

It's probably a good thing you weren't on the flight I just took from Toronto to Minneapolis! A very small plane.....13 rows, I was in row 13 and Minneapolis was having thunderstorms. affraid I was even a little bit concerned.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 3:39 pm

Number 13!!!! affraid affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 11:18 am

I once was on a prop plane coming back from San Francisco. There wasn't one person on there who didn't look terrified. That was with bright sunny weather.

That's when my mom said "we're on the ground now. Could you take your nails out of my arm?" My nail marks were in her arm for weeks after.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 2:35 pm

GE, that is so funny what your mom said! Laughing

I just got off the phone with our dear sweet Luca. Sadly, last night her beloved computer passed away Crying or Very sad

She is anxiously awaiting the arrival of her new computer and hopefully will be back with us tonight or tomorrow! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chitchat - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chitchat
Page 6 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next