Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Politics

Go down 
+7
Badger
Lau
firecracker
aerwin
Green Eyez
abrahammy
frazzle
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
AuthorMessage
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 3:23 am

Abrahammy, I agree.

If McCain's wife wasn't one of the richest Americans, I would have guessed that McCain had sold his soul for money. But, I do not think that has anything to do with it.

Since he has access to zillions, I will go back to my theory that he really does have PSTD, and that the only thing that matters to him is forgiving himself for turn-coating while he was a POW.

The fact that he keeps being called a hero must be intolerable to him. He is not proud, he is anguished.

he tried to make it right during his "maverick" years, but it didn't do the trick. He still felt the self-loathing.

So now he is trying to make it happen by surrendering to the urge to debase those he just "knows", in his PSTD paranoia, judge him...like Obama and all those other "elitists".

Obviously I am coming up with this stuff more from an artist's point of view than anything else, but that is the only way his behavior, choices, wildy stupid decisions during this campaign make any sense to me.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 9:00 pm

If it weren't so extremely important that he lose, I might take the time to feel sorry for McCain. He ran a clean campaign against Dubya, a greatly inferior man, and Rovian dirty tricks handed his ass to him on a platter. This time, in desperation, and out of a deep seated desire to finally win the Vietnam Iraq war, he has sold his honor, integrity and soul for a bag of Rovian dirty tricks... and he's about to have his ass handed to him on a platter by a guy he may genuinely think is greatly inferior.

I can hear his interior monologue - gotta do it, gotta lie, gotta get dirty, that's the only way to win, if Dubya could beat me by playing dirty, surely I will just kill Obama, gotta give up my honor to win this war, it's only...

HEY! Dammit! IT'S NOT FAIR IT'S NOT FAIR IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 3:07 pm

Well, frazz, I was worried after seeing that last picture that you had a stroke, so I'm glad to see you're still with us and talking coherently.

The Republicans all like to pretend they're "one of us" and "regular guys and gals".

I was watching this promo for "Root of All Evil" hosted by the lovely Lewis Black and this guy says "Republicans say they want to elect someone they'd like to have a beer with. Some of you may be watching this in a bar right now. Look around you. Do you see a president?"

On another note, I thought I'd bring something over to make you laugh.

I'm Voting Republican
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 12:52 am

Interesting video. It did not make me laugh, but it did make me sad. Hard to laugh when they are just stating reality.

Did my photo comic strip make you sad?
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 1:18 am

Your photo comic strip was HILARIOUS and I want you to do more!!!
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 1:30 am

I am thinking that is my calling.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 1:42 pm

Well, call away, little missy, 'cause I wanna see more!

In case anybody missed it, Tina Fey doing her usual amazing impression of Sarah Palin at the debates.

Tina Fey is my hero
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 8:16 pm

I love tina Fey not nearly as much as Palin supporters love Palin, but that is only because I am not complete out of my frikkin mind. If Tina had a dick, I'd marry her.

I am mid-watching the 2nd presidential debate, and I am getting furiouser and furiouser.

I'll be bac

back.

Tom Brokaw? I have mostly liked him in the past.

Tonight, every time Mc Cain went on and on fucking up the time, Brokaw would then prevent OBAMA from speaking.

This made me very mad, as McCain was allowed to voice all sorts of factual lies about Obama, and Obama was not allowed to counter.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 12:26 am

I have been reading the onine press about tonight's debate, and it seems, so far, that people think McCain was way off and Obama was on.

I can no longer judge in a way that feels real to me.
McCain/Palin in the past few days, and some media outlets going along with that, about Obama as a terroist/USA killer/Muslim/Evil has made me so angry I am unfortunately starting to shut down. SHutting down is what the Democrats havetended to do when confronted by hideously nasty political lies in the past..many, many pasts.

I am really trying to stay interested. If I do not stay interested I am contributing to a Palin win. I mean Mc Cain, sort of.

Oy.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 7:22 pm

Well, I watched the debate and I kept thinking something that many of the analysts echoed:

Obama looked "presidential". McCain didn't.

I agree that Brplaw let McCain talk and then reminded them of the rules when Obama would get up to speak and cut him off.

Now, I'd like to talk about another subject that has me hopping mad. It's this fucking Prop 8. The "yes on 8" commercials make me want to throw a brick through the TV. Especially the "they'll teach gay marriage in school" part. Where I'm dogsitting there's some shmucks with a "yes on 8" sign in their front yard that I desperately tried to get the dog to piss on tonight. Alas, I had to settle for the tree.

"Protect" marriage? I'm sorry, did I miss something? If gays can marry then heterosexuals can't? I didn't get that memo. I don't understand how this hurts anyone. I don't understand why it's an issue. I just can't find anyone to explain it to me in a way that will make me sympathize with the other side for even a second.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 12:02 am

Quote :

"Protect" marriage? I'm sorry, did I miss something? If gays can marry then heterosexuals can't? I didn't get that memo. I don't understand how this hurts anyone. I don't understand why it's an issue. I just can't find anyone to explain it to me in a way that will make me sympathize with the other side for even a second.

Every argument against this is essentially religious.

I have an essentially religious outlook on the world, but I have not forgotten this; religion can dictate what people think God may be thinking, but it's not scientifically verifiable. Since it's not empirically provable, it's not Constitutionally enforceable. Therefore, there is no logical or legal basis for denying gay couples the right to marriage.

The only argument I might make there is that marriage is essentially a religious institution, and in that frame of reference there might be some limitations on which religions would bless such a union - but they ARE out there. However, if you take out the religious question and make it an entirely civic and secular question, then it follows that gay couples who have made a confirmed, publicly known lifelong commitment to each other should be able to care for each other and carry out legal and medical responsibilities for each other just as straight couples do.

Folks can say that God objects to this, but the evidence of that comes from the same book that says:

1. It's unclean to eat shrimp.
2. Women must not speak in church.
3. It is permissible to sell your children into slavery, but it's not permissible to serve beef and ice cream at the same meal.

Et cetera.

There's only one guy in the bible that I regard as infallible and He has never said One. Single. Word about homosexuality. Not a glimmer. Not a peep. Can't find it anywhere. I've looked. If Jesus isn't on a rampage about homosexuals, then everybody else needs to leave them alone and let them have rights and be happy.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 12:13 am

I mean Jesus is, essentially, a hippy, right?

I would think he'd be furious at what's being said and done in His name.

I don't necessarily agree marriage is essentially a religious institution. If it was, then married people wouldn't get special privileges under the law. I also think there are many more "normal" heterosexual people making a mockery out of marriage. They don't do it because of love or religious reasons. Some for money or a TV show or whatever. It's the gays who are who are taking this shit seriously.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 12:51 am

The only reason I do not belong to any religion other than the one-member Church of the Cosmic Eclectics, is that all the other ones I have tried do not practice the values I believe in, regardless of whtever they spout.

I think my real values are very similar to Abrahammy's.

I view GE and me as similarly inclined, but not necessarily similar in terms of tactics for coping. I think all three of us (and probably (though they are shyer about expression) most of the rest of us still posting here.

In my heart of hearts, I do view the world from a moral ideals point of view. Plato, Greek and Roman gods and godesses make great sense to me, along with much of what my own interpretation of Jesus's ideas (expressed through some of the Bible writers) do.

It appalls, dismays and depresses me when people who tout their Christianity (most right-wing people who want to kill and maim disagreeable to them humans, and animals in general) claim to be speaking truths and use whatever section, written by whomever, of the bible to back it up.

I dout if Jesus the human was in any way supernatural, but he certainly got latched onto for some very good humanitarian ideas by some people. The bible, the book, has gotten latched onto by all sorts of people with all sorts of agendas.

OK, back to practicality..as I have often posted, many of the most loving and long-term couples (actually MOST, not many) I know are gay guys.

What is marriage if not a clear commitment to support each other in every way possible forever?

That is my definition of true marriage.

In my real physical life, I actually know one heterosexual couple (with both people still living..I knew two more before the guy died) and seven homosexual couples (plus some lesbian couples that seem to be that committed to each others flourishing from working at APLA)...

In other words, what I regard as good marriage, where both are flourishing, doing what they love and being benevolent humans, is actually weighted in favor of the homosexual couples I personally know. But again, the three good heterosexual couples I knew well, the guy died. I do ponder whether giving equally to the woman kills men, due to atavistic tendencies. Who knows.

If I were ever to meet a guy I could really be with, my model would be the good gay relationships I know about.

My guess about people who are adamantly against gay marriage is just that things they don't know from personal good experience scare them too much to investigate.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 2:18 am

For me, what makes me upset, is that good morals have been made synonymous with "Christian".

I have excellent morals. Most who know me say I'm almost too honest. I have a belief in God and I believe in karma. I believe in making amends. I believe everyone deserves their freedoms, not just the people who believe like I do.

I do find it ironic that the people who say they are religious (I'm talking about the Religious Right here - not people who actually ARE religious & spiritual and all that good stuff), seem to have so little tolerance. That the ones who wave the flag and tell me I'M UnAmerican, believe in trampling on my right to speak my mind and be free to be who I am. Two ideas that are very very American.

It seems the term "American" is only meant for those who never question, but follow along like sheep.

Once again, I'm not slamming religious people. Only the ones who use the Bible as an excuse for prejudice and judgement. There are good religious people out there who help their fellow man and do not judge. I do know that. Unfortunately, the most outspoken ones are the Jerry Falwells, etc., who spew hate in the form of religion.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 7:18 am

I'll come right out and say it . The extreme religous right is the downfall of this country. The founding fathers had a reason for wanting seperation of church and state. I am a moral person and I do believe in God. However I think the extreme judgemental attitude of the extreme right is wrong and dangerous. I was willing to give Mcsame and Sarah Mooseburger the benefit of the doubt UNTIL they started all the dirty campaigning. in her stump speeches yesterday she did everything in her power to try to associate Obama with a terroists. Because he sat on a board with him? They are grasping at straws now. And Cindy NcCain said Obama has run the dirtoest campaign she's ever seen? Excuse me . They started the mud slinging in desperation. I have been volunteering registering voters this election season and people are sick of the mud slinging. To quote James Carville "it's the economy, stupid." Indeed. I jst absolutely cannot fathom why anyone would want to sign on for another four years just like the eight we've just been through. Unfortunately they think they are doing the right "moral" thing. Do thet not realize that Sarah Palin is heartbeat away from the Oval Office. This woman who cannot name what publications she reads and shoots wolves from an airplane. And YES she did try to remove books from a library. To me that is scary. It is not up to the government to dictate my morals . It is however up to them to efficently run this country and what a piss poor job they've done the last eight years.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 4:15 pm

Aerwin, BEAUTIFULLY put, my friend.

I believe the "yes on 8" campaign's mouthpiece has been a law professor at Pepperdine.

I researched it and found out one of two things happened:

Pepperdine was behind him doing it and then realized what a shit storm it would bring and are now distancing themselves

OR

They were never behind it and this yahoo decided to do the ads on his own.

You decide.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 5:43 pm

Quote :
For me, what makes me upset, is that good morals have been made synonymous with "Christian".

For me, what makes me upset, is that the Fundamentalist Right has eagerly forced their behavioral patterns to become popularly perceived as synonymous with "Christian", so some people have been led to believe we are all self-righteous, intolerant nutcases who are hostile to the idea of genuine scientific inquiry.

Incidentally, I'd like to take Sarah Palin aside and show her Exodus 20:16.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thine neighbor. We've got some other choice notes on adultery we could discuss, too. Hey, if you are gonna talk the talk sister, are you gonna walk the walk?
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 7:35 pm

Getting in on the last of my day of atonement, I just want to apologize if I've offended anyone personally. It's not my intention. I have strong opinions, but it does not mean I hate anyone or begrudge them their thoughts and feelings.

Abrahammy, I hope I didn't offend you and I think you're right. As I said, the Jerry Falwell's get the most attention and they spew their nonsense and people get an idea that's what a Christian is.

Just like the words "feminist" and "liberal" get bad raps because the only people the media covers are the whackjobs. If anyone is speaking love of their fellow man or sounds rational, they don't make very good television.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 8:59 pm

You did not offend me. I took your understandable comment and used it as a pattern to offer up a peeve of my own; when crazy people declare that only crazy people are Christian, then every body who self-identifies as Christian runs the danger of being thought crazy, and that is the fault of the radical right and people like Sarah Palin.

Who needs to shut up.

Because she's going to convince some crackpot to take a shot at Obama.

Edited to add: OK, I have to show you all this. This is an actual news report. This is not the Onion: Palin Pre-Empts State Report, Clears Self in Probe

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=5990499
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 1:59 am

"Clears Self in Probe"

If McCain/Palin win I really do need to move to another country. For real. Other wise I will be homeless, toothless, and gone-crazy-mindless very soon.

A small lighter note: Palin on the cover of Newsweek in an unretouched state has reportedly sent her fans into even more SHOCK! HORROR!!! tizzy-frenzy even than Palin's evil-empire attempts to paint Obama as a terrorist-Muslim sympathizer.

Ohhhh, the horror...Palin is shown to have fine line on her face!!!!!!

Gimme a fuckin break.

The woman 's skin looks beautiful:

http://www.transworldnews.com/GalleryView.aspx?id=10576&h=0&w=0&app=5
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 12:49 pm

Whew! Well, I for one am RELIEVED she cleared that all up.

I have seen the actual Newsweek (where I am right now, they're subscribers" and can say that frazz is right. I cannot believe how idiotic people can be. Well, as long as they're sticking to the important issues.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 9:50 pm

Heh. On the other hand, here is today's headline:

Probe Finds Palin Abused Power in Case of Trooper
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 5:39 pm

I thought she had cleared herself. I don't understand. Isn't the "I didn't do it so stop bothering me" defense enough?
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 7:47 pm

The newest gambit is that Palin now declares the probe found she had done nothing wrong.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 2:39 pm

That's enough for me!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Politics - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 17 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Politics
Page 17 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next