Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chitchat

Go down 
+9
Green Eyez
mishmash
aerwin
Sky
southernbelle
Janice
austin
firecracker
frazzle
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Lau

Lau

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-09

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 10:33 am

Sky, that's a great picture of Toby.

A friend of mine had an English Sheepdog when I lived next door to her. That dog was the sweetest creature you'd ever want to meet. I can understand your fondness for the breed characteristics that were a part of your little 'boy.'

FC, glad you like the avi! Except for the hat, it bears a lot of resemblance to me! Stunned look especially! lol!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 10:35 am

Sky, Toby sure was a handsome guy! I love you When did he cross the rainbow bridge...?
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 11:21 am

Well Lau, then you have some mighty big eyes!! Too cute! Oh, and I like the hat! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 1260
Registration date : 2007-04-06

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 2:01 pm

It's not that Toby shed alot, but he required frequent combings to avoid hair mats! He passed over the 'Rainbow Bridge' maybe 3-4 yrs. ago. I had always wanted an Old English Sheepdog and he fit the bill perfectly. His Mother was a pure OES. My love is for large lovable dogs.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 2:03 pm

He's not so clean and fluffy in this pic, but this pic just cracks me up!

Chitchat - Page 34 Bigbabydog
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 3:16 pm

OMG!!! He was HUGE!! God, he was just the cutest damn thing!!!!!!!!!!! I also LOVE that pic!!! I would so LOVE to have that dog!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 4:03 pm

OMG I love that picture of Toby! He looks like he was a real character! I bet you miss him Sky... Crying or Very sad

Update on Robbie: As I suspected, we never had a chance. They informed us today that we would not be considered because they are looking for someone that will not be gone more than 3-4 hours per day. Shocked I had an omen last night about it. We were called back by a person involved with the rescue operation yesterday afternoon, that told us how to complete the online application and that Robbie was a fellow rescue person's Dad's dog who recently passed away and that they turned down a placement in Canada after doing the home visit. That gave me some hope, but then the more I thought about it, I knew these people probably have very unreasonalbe expectations and I told my husband not to start making the dog run just yet. He did go get all the supplies yesterday at Home depot and spent over 300.00, that is how excited we were...and how impulsive! Embarassed Well, hubby and I wrote a response back telling them how we feel and questioning the appropriateness of placing an ad in Petfinders when there are so many stringent requirements. I did'nt mention they wanted 300.00 to adopt him either...which we would have gladly paid. We also mentioned this is the second time something like this has happenned on Petfinders and that we don't find it userfriendly for potential adopters. Hello!!!!!

Anyway...moving on. We will probably just go to the pound if a dog comes up we like or just buy one. No more Petfinders.com that is for sure!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 4:13 pm

Oh Luca, I am so sorry Crying or Very sad, but you are right, they are being unreasonable Mad I know tons of couples where they both work full time and their dogs are just fine!! Is $300 normal for pet adoptions? If I were you I would just go to a pound or pet shop and find a wonderful puppy. Is the issue for you the puppy training? I know how time consuming and difficult that can be. When my cousin got her last puppy she ended up taking two weeks of vacation time to train the dog. I am just so sad that you have been let down by this people. They sound as unreasonable as the people Ellen got that dog from. Robbie would have had a wonderful home and wonderful parents. I wish him well. Don't worry about the $300 in supplies - you will find a beautiful, loving dog to use them, I just know it!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 4:39 pm

Thanks FC, but deep in my heart I knew that we probably only had a small chance with Robbie. We went through a similar emotional rollercoaster with an Italian Grayhound from California we wanted on Petfinders. The usual price for animals that are breed specific Pet Rescue dogs in foster homes ranges from 150-300 it seems. They want people who can afford it and that fee helps keep their operations going for buying food, getting vacinations etc. I liked the idea of supporting these agencies and believe in what they are doing, but now realize I can't contribute in that way because they are unrealistic about placing most of these animals.

Yes, 6-8 week old puppies are almost like having a baby for the first month or so. The thought of getting a house trained dog out of the puppy stage was appealing. We will consider going the puppy route if the right dog comes up. I would rather pay like 50-75.00 if possible. Getting a registered, purebred dog is not important either. I do want a small, shorthaired house/lap dog, and I actually prefer females, but would consider a neutered male. Buying even mixed breed dogs has gotten rather pricey. Some of the more popular breeds go for 600.00 and up for
registered dogs. No way will I ever spend that. Nothing against purebred dogs or anything, but I am not planning on breeding or showing, so it is
not necessary. I do like certain breeds though, and tend to gravitate towards them. I will not get another cocker. They have too many genetic health problems, are too hyper, and the grooming bills are killer. They stink too because they have oily coats. They are the cutest puppies in the
world though I think...mine was given to me by a family member. I was'nt about to turn her down!

Yes, the supplies will not be wasted, one way or another. It was just some plywood, lattice fencing (Vinyl), etc. It would be good to wait until Spring/summer when the weather is nicer and to take time off to work with a new dog anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 5:06 pm

Luca, I am so sorry you didn't get Robbie. There is a dog out there for you somewhere, and he/she will have the best home ever. The dog run materials won't go to waste.

We do miss Toby, but we're okay with it now. He was the cutest puppy. When we first saw him and picked him out, he was 6 wks old. When we came back for him, I think he was 8-10 wks old.....OMG he grew so much, he was huge even at that age.

His maintenance and health care were expensive. No real major problems just little things here and there tend to add up, dollar wise. I did most of his grooming, but refused to clip his nails so we took him to the Vet for that. He loved getting his ears cleaned and hairs plucked! Weird, huh? He did NOT want his paws handled.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 5:11 pm

I'm glad you are handling it OK.

I know what you mean about how costly some of the dogs have gotten. Those Golden Doodles that Jimmy and Marissa are getting are $1400 each! They are getting a male and a female - Mia and Rocket Donald! So $2800 for the dogs alone. They bought all sorts of things for them. They get them on March 1st. I cannot wait to see them! My folks paid $400 for their Poms - but that was 20 years ago. I wonder what they cost now Shocked
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 5:52 pm

Thanks Sky. I think you are right though about the right one coming along eventually. I just had to try for this one, but I learned that is not going to be the route for us.

Sky, how long was Toby with you? I know the bond that happens when you raise them from 8 weeks or so. They are like your kid almost...It does get expensive maintaining them, especially the long haired ones!
That must have saved so much doing the grooming yourself! I also hate doing my dogs nails...they all hate it I think!

I just went out and brushed one of my dirty horses...It sure isn't like I don't have enough creatures to love and spend money on! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 8:01 pm

We had him just about 10-11 years.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 11:23 pm

Luca, it's probably better to get a mixed breed dog anyway. Less problems. I had a mutt all through my childhood and except for when he got hit by a car, there were no huge medical expenses I can recall and he was very smart and beautiful. I sit for many pure-breed dogs and the medical problems are crazy and expensive.

Their requirements are ridiculous. Your premonitions were dead-on if they're traveling to freakin' CANADA to find a place for a dog. I mean, I am the biggest dog lover in the world, but C'MON! I can see this kind of stringency for a child, but dogs adapt. They have no concept of time! They don't know if you're gone 10 minutes or 5 hours. As long as you play with them and walk them and pay attention to them, they're happy.

I would have written a letter too. They will never find a person who fulfills all their requirements. They should just want what's best for the dog and to make sure it's going to a loving home where it'll be well-cared for. It's obvious they're not serious about placing the dog. Now I'm sitting here getting all riled!

You'll feel really good if you rescue a pound dog and they will be really appreciative. Good luck with that and post the pictures when you get the cute little furry fella home!
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 6:48 am

Luca if it is any consolation I was involved with border collie rescue for many years. I quit because of burn out factor. The expectations were ridculous. This statement is coming from an extreme animal lover, also the adoption fee of 300 is exboritant. I think you would be better off adoopting from a pound. There are so many cute dogs that need a home. usually the adoption fees run around 80 or $ 90. A fiend of mine just adopted a chiweinie from there . Adorable.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 8:22 am

It is good to hear from you all that the vibe we got is dead on...these people were not only unrealistic and unreasonable, they obviously don't really want to place the dog. Wonder why they just don't keep it or place it privately with a family member or fellow rescue volunteer vs. putting people on an emotional roller coaster? They are obviuosly way too emotionally involved to make a good decision for the dog... It felt good to respond back and tell them our feelings though. We did it in a nice way, but got our point accross loud and clear!

Yes, we will most likely go through the pound. I know so many people who have had great success going that route.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 9:26 am

Plus that adoption fee of 300.00 seems extremely high to me. Like I said I worked with rescue for years and that seems too much. You cannot expect most ppl to be able to stay home with their pets all day either. My college roommate was asked to pay 200.00 to a rescue group for a CRIPPPLED mini daschaund. I told her she was crazy. Plenty of nice dogs begging for a home for fraction of that.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 11:10 am

I can understand them not wanting people who are gone for 15 hours a day, but my friend had a much larger dog-sitting business and people used to tell her to stay with the dog all the time. That is just so crazy.

When people hold that kind of power and abuse it, making people jump through hoops and telling them there's no chance, no matter what they do, that's just cruel. Luca, I GUARANTEE that even if you said there was somebody there 24/7, they would have found something else wrong.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 6:29 pm

Green Eyez wrote:
Quote :
When people hold that kind of power and abuse it, making people jump through hoops and telling them there's no chance, no matter what they do, that's just cruel. Luca, I GUARANTEE that even if you said there was somebody there 24/7, they would have found something else wrong.
Exactly! That is what I was feeling about this whole process is that it is abuse of power. And is an unprofessional way of dealing with people. Almost the exact same thing happened with the Italian Greyhound rescue group we contacted about adopting a dog about 6 months ago. Given false hope and encouragement to jump through all the hoops, then of course the dog miraculously found a home the same weekend we were told it was available, but go ahead a submit your application, right!. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Aerwin, you are right the 200.00 price for adopting these purebred rescue dogs is really high, but seems to be par for the course. I agree it is way too much even it is to support a worthy cause (e.g the rescue org.)

The dog plot thickens a bit...but, too early to tell how it will play out. Long story short...A work colleague of mine's Dad breeds black labs and trains them. He had a litter about 10 months ago and has one puppy left. He has been applying for government inspection positions and may have to move to Phoenix pronto if he gets it. Well, he would be inspecting livestock at the border and they need people badly I guess. Homeland security came out to his house yesterday, interviewed him (the second time) and his neighbors and two references. He is readying himself to relocate. He has been trying to sell this last male puppy "Cole" in the Penny Press for 300.00, but it is worth more like 600-1200.! Shocked Show quality bloodlines, gorgeous, trained for hunting, obedience trained with hand signals etc. etc. I told my friend, just kiddingly that we would take the puppy off his hands (for free) if her Dad gets desperate and has to leave quickly to take the job and just wants him to have a good home. It looks like there is a possibility that may happen. There is no way in hell we will turn down that dog..may not be the house dog we thought we would add, but would be a perfect watch dog and companion, and who knows maybe we would get involved with showing or competitions of some sort based on his outstanding abilities. We'll see if someone comes forward to buy him or if her Dad will just want to give him to us...sometimes it is best to just let the right animal find you. Shocked

Last edited by Luca on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 6:40 pm

That would be so wonderful if the dog came to you! Crossing my fingers that works out for you guys!
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 7:31 pm

Luca, that's horrible. Dogs aren't inanimate objects. You can start to get attached to them rather quickly, even from a picture.

It sounds like this other situation is meant to be. From a chihuahua to a Black Lab. I am ROLLING. Usually people who would want one, aren't interested in the other. I love that you're just a dog lover and want the right one to love.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 7:47 pm

Luca..........maybe not the house dog you wanted, but Labs are such a gentle beautiful breed. I love Labs. Our neighbor had a chocolate lab and named him Hershey! The right dog will find you.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 8:01 pm

Yes, I really believe the right situation will find us. If my friend's Dad sells the lab in the next week -it was not meant to be. We are fine either way.

Yes, GE! We are very flexible about what breed and size we will take! If the dog has the spirit and offers us the opportunity of being professionally trained with outstanding bloodlines for free (except the cost of building a heavy duty dog run and getting a specially made doggie door...) we are'nt really that picky! We like the things a small dog can offer, but also consider the things a large dog can offer too. We like the idea of having a watch dog that will be outside during the day and inside with us at night.

Sky, I have heard about and met some amazing labs... I have never had the privilege of owning one myself. I don't think I could go wrong with this one...I'll keep you posted!
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 11:24 pm

I might not be on much in the next couple of weeks. I'm off to Arizona tomorrow........
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 11:27 pm

Bon voyage my laydee! Dayumm~ Arizona sounds great right about now!
Is this a vacation or work related deal?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chitchat - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 34 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chitchat
Page 34 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wizened Women :: Hello, hello :: Chit-chat, News, Real Life, Get motivated-
Jump to: