Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MOVIES!

Go down 
+9
Badger
mishmash
southernbelle
frazzle
Luca
aerwin
firecracker
austin
Green Eyez
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2007 9:47 pm

Oh, I loved Mrs. Livingston! Such a sweetie!! I was so sad when I heard of her passing Crying or Very sad

Maybe someone from The Joy Luck Club! I know I loved that movie. I just don't know the names of anyone but Ming Nu - who I love from ER!
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2007 10:22 pm

Goldie Hawn for Cameron is perfect!!!!

Dang,cannot think of the last name, but Amy something...in her 50s...for Lucy's mom. Asian/American... Not all that famous. I will find this.

It is sad that there are so few Asian ones. I will look up the one from Memoirs of a Geisha, also. I saw that when it first came out, but don't remember the actresses, alas.
Back to top Go down
Badger

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2007-07-24

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2007 11:40 pm

My mother knew Ms. Umeki in Japan; they attended the same school. She started out as a singer billed as "Nancy Umeki". In fact, that's the way my mom always referred to her - as "Nancy".

Oh, I never knew this before but you know who else is part-Japanese? Believe it or not, Bianca Ryan. Her mom is half-Japanese.

Getting back on topic, I think Joan Chen is probably in her 40's by now. Or Rosalind Chao would be old enough now.

Actually, Michelle Yeoh has done mostly action type movies so she might be the best bet for playing a Charlie's Angel's mother.

frazzle, are you thinking of Amy Hill? I remember she played Margaret Cho's grandmother in "All American Girl" even though at the time I think she was only in her early thirties.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 5:51 am

I loved All American Girl! Sad it didn't last long. Margeret had a hard time dealing with the cancellation.

Lucy is in her middle 30s so I think Joan Chen is too young, though I remember her from some TV shows.

Yes, Rosiland was in The Joy Luck Club! She is about 70 now. Pretty and classy lady!

I had no idea Bianca was part Japanese!
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 6:58 am

I just saw an article with Joan Chen a while back. I think she is about 46. I really like her but never see enough of her. I love Michelle Yeoh. My son has a huge crush on her.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 7:24 pm

Badger wrote:
frazzle, are you thinking of Amy Hill? I remember she played Margaret Cho's grandmother in "All American Girl" even though at the time I think she was only in her early thirties.

YES! Amy Hill! That is her. She is about my age. in my mind having two not all that hot moms and Goldie is perfect!

We will try to get in shape to pull off some action like our daughters.

I love the idea of Amy Hill (quite heavy) being flipped in the air and kicking ass.

If men can make stupid funny movies, so can we.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 3:19 am

My goodness, I just saw a movie from 2002 called In America.

I cried so legitimately I actually felt good by the end.

I cry when the film and TV makers want me too some of the time, but I usually hate myself afterwards.

This one earned my tears.

I rented it off http://www.cinemanow.com (yu would have to do a search for the title).

Is this one just me, or has anyone else seen it?
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 9:56 pm

I've never heard of that movie! If it made you cry, it must be good.

I also hate it when they manipulate me and I cry.
Back to top Go down
Badger

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 11:17 pm

I saw In America earlier this year. It is a good movie.

Another really good movie I saw on HBO - but I'm sure it'll be available on DVD soon if it isn't already - is Longford which was about the attempt of The Earl of Longford to get a parole for Myra Hindley of the infamous Moors murders. For those who are too young or who don't remember, Myra and her boyfriend at the time Ian Brady sexually assaulted and murdered several children and teenagers and buried them on the moors. They taped their victims as they were screaming for their lives. Samantha Morton, who stars in In America plays Myra Hindley.

Longford played by Jim Broadbent was another in a long history of British eccentrics. He was a Conservative who converted to Catholicism and became quite liberal. One of his passions was prison reform which is how he met Myra Hindley. Naturally, his championing of her case was not popular but he kept on with it until she confesses that she lied to him about the nature of her involvement in the murders. It completely destroyed his reputation.

The guy who plays Ian Brady is only in a couple of scenes but he is very creepy.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 12:44 am

Cool, badger, I will look for that.

Samantha Morton is very interesting to watch.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 6:27 am

I saw 3:10 to Yuma over the weekend . It was excellent . But Russel Crowe and Christian Bale are always good. This is the best western I've seen since Unforgiven.
Back to top Go down
Badger

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 10:17 am

Another movie I'd recommend is A Face In The Crowd from 1957 starring Andy Griffith and Patricia Neal. It's about a ne'er-do-well drifter who becomes a big television star and a very influential person in the media. Given how we were discussing how important looks, etc are in how people often choose a candidate, this movie is especially relevant.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 3:36 pm

If anybody here has seen all of Across the Universe, please pm me. I went to see it today and we hit the two hour mark right as the fire alarms went off and we had to evacuate the building. I did not see the last ten minutes.

I have a few questions. See spoilers if you know the answers.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 3:42 pm

I can't help you since I haven't seen the movie, but how scary to have to leave the theater with the fire alarm going! They should let the people who had to leave come back for free and see the ending. I hope someone can help you and I am glad you are safe.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 5:22 am

I went to see American Gangster yesterday. A++++ all around. But of course it has two of the best actors working today in it. There are so many movies I am looking forward to coming up but most of all Sweeney Todd with my favorite director Tim Burton. I cannot wait.
And Daniel Day Lewis will be in new movie I am so excited!!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 6:46 am

Sweeny Todd is going to be awesome!! I saw the play - great fun! Maybe Depp will finally get his Oscar!!! *crosses fingers and toes*
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 10:56 pm

VERY much looking forward to Sweeney Todd AND Johnny getting an Oscar.

Look what he's done since 21 Jump Street! You know what Richard Grieco is doing? Straight-to-video stuff. You can catch him late-night on one of the movie channels.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 11:05 pm

Sweeney Todd is one of my very favorite things. I love the music, I watched the video of the theatrical production with ANgela Lansbury and George Hern dozens of times, and drooled and fainted over the fabulousness of Patti LuPone and George Hearn doing it "in concert" for PBS. I have the DVD of the production with Patti and Michael Cerveris and although i don't like this take on it as much, I have watched it at least 5 times.

SO...I am a nutcase Sweeney Todd fan.

The Center Theatre Group (the place I hope I will be getting a job) will have Patti and Michael doing it in 2008.

With all that, I want the Tim Burton version to be so fabulous I have to watch it 100 times.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 7:26 am

GE, have you seen a current pic of Richard? I was stunned when I saw him recently! Stunned! affraid He looks like he has been to hell and back! He used to be so beautiful. I wonder what the heck happened to him. Hard living I guess. I have read he is a bit of a jerk.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 6:35 am

Johnny Depp Deserves that Oscar. I am sure Sweeney Todd will be fabulous. Tim Burton is my favorite director.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 7:13 am

I've already heard some of Depp's singing from the movie. Really good! Did we know he could sing? Shocked
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

Number of posts : 502

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 7:19 am

He left Florida (right near where I grew up) and moved to LA to become a rock star. Didn't work out that way.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/austin_ambrosia
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 1:16 pm

FC, Lately Richard Grieco looks like Mickey Rourke Jr. He is a hammered mess. He must have gone the drinking/drugs route, because he and Johnny are obviously the same age and Johnny's skin is flawless.

Johnny can do anything when he gets into character. I have a feeling that if the acting gig involved flying, he would be able to do it simply by setting his mind to it.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2007 1:39 am

I didn't know who Richard was, so I looked him up. Seems to me he had too radical a nose job at some point in his life, thus ruining his face.

Mikey Rourke had the wort facial surgery of almost anybody ever.

I am sure drugs and alcohol also play a role, but destroying the bones of your face makes it hideous.

I mean even Nick Nolte can look good some of the time, since it is ONLY drugs and alcohol, not facial bone smashing.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2007 6:44 am

In Richard and Mickey's case I know drugs and alcohol have played a big part. I read that Richard really had a serious problem, and man it shows. Perhaps plastic surgery was their problem also.

But, I had two good female friends get nose jobs and man, they looked freaking fantastic afterwards! One girl was Greek and had a very large nose with a big bump. She had gorgeous skin and eyes and hair, but this really huge nose. After HS her dad (very wealthy restaurateur and they lived in a freaking castle! It even had a Knight in shining armour in the foyer) paid to have her nose fixed into this tiny little nose. I mean she was so gorgeous afterwards! I was very close with a girl named Carol all thru HS. Beautiful big blue eyes and a body I would have killed for Razz , but a nose like Jimmy Durante! She was sooooooooo depressed about her nose. She hated to go out sometimes and so shy around boys. She got a job after HS and saved up to have her nose fixed. Well, let me tell you - not only did she look great but what it did for her self-esteem was amazing! She wanted to go out and she actually talked to boys and got a really nice boyfriend! I was so happy for her! So I guess it takes a good doctor and for everything to go just right. Personally, I think I would not put myself thru any type of plastic surgery. So risky No I mean look at what it has done to Kenny Rogers and Wayne Newton!! affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MOVIES! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MOVIES!
Page 5 of 19Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next