Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MOVIES!

Go down 
+9
Badger
mishmash
southernbelle
frazzle
Luca
aerwin
firecracker
austin
Green Eyez
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 1:13 pm

How can you say Johnny or Sweeney was umnotivated by the violence? I feel the story and the actor made that very clear. My son adored the movie and he also plays video games although not violent ones mostly role playing. He also does not like movies like Saw and neither do I. I still say the movie was one of the best of last year. I will put Johnny Depp up against any American actor in any role any day. I guess my taste does run more toward the dark. I wish the world were all happy puppies and rainbows. But is is not.

I will go say JD and Tim Burton in any capacity. I stand by my opinion and there are many that agree with me.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 1:22 pm

Of course you should stand by your opinion. Nobody would want you to do anything different. We are all just voicing our opinions. I didn't see the film and won't, so I couldn't comment on the acting. I just personally feel it is a shame to make a movie so horribly violent and gory that many cannot enjoy what would otherwise be a good "movie experience". I use to LOVE horror films. Went to see them all the time. Now they are just so gratuitous that I just cannot see them, and that is disappointing.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 1:46 pm

I tend to like the dark side too, but I can understand that Tim Burton's melodramatic interpretation of ST may be a bit much for some folks. Was'nt the play extremely melodramatic too though? I must say I did'nt like the last scene in the film for some reason...that was a little too over the top for even me. Shocked

I will be seeing No Country for Old Men on PPV tonight! Bring on the serial killer of my dreams! Yeah baby! Wink
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 2:13 pm

Yep the play is melodramatic too but the story is melodramatic.
The play does not show the blood and gore . but I felt the movie used the red against the grayish background like a painting. Hey my husband hated it and he always loves TB.

I hope you like No Country . It was my favorite movie of last year.
1 No country
2 Sweeney Todd
3 There will Be Blood.
Nope not a happy one in the bunch. Actually The Coens toned down the movie from the book. Chigurh was much worse in the book.
Atonement was good but I've seen just as good on Masterpiece Theatre

To me the most overrated movie of last year was Juno. Cute and clever yes but some of cutey cleverness annoyed me at times. And some sitcoms on TV are more amusing.

Speakling of The Coens we watched The big Lebowiski again last weekend. Lord that is a trip. LOVE.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 3:13 pm

Aerwin, what is your violence/gore rating for NCFOM? 4 or 5 hatchet's? Laughing
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 4:00 pm

Four from me . Seven from the hubster.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 4:22 pm

7 hatchets?????????? affraid
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 5:00 pm

Again...it ain't the gore that got me.

Imagine Javier playing the Johnny Depp role. Or DDL. Now THAT would have been a great movie.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 5:47 am

firecracker wrote:
7 hatchets?????????? affraid
Don't listen to him. Very Happy

Sorry but as much as I love Javier and I've seen him in tons I watched Love In the Time of Chloera a few weeks ago and he was terrible. I still say JD gave a stellar perfromance. I'm not backing down. BTW DDL is rumored to come out of hiding for the movie NINE . Javier bowed out. I hope so .We will see.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 5:55 am

Quote :
Having lost one 2008 Oscar-winning actor, Rob Marshall is hoping to cast another in the lead in his adaptation of the musical "Nine."

Just two weeks after the most recent best supporting actor winner Javier Bardem left the musical due to exhaustion, Daniel Day-Lewis, the most recent best actor winner, is in talks to play Guido Contini in "Nine," according to Variety.

Based loosely on Fellini's "8 1/2," "Nine" focuses on a filmmaker whose creative difficulties spill into his love life and force him to confront a wide variety of women from his past and present. Antonio Banderas played the lead role in the most recent Broadway revival of "Nine."

Day-Lewis' casting is far from a sure thing, as The Weinstein Company opted not to confirm the casting to the trade paper.

With Bardem attached to star, "Nine" was originally supposed to begin production late last year, but shooting was pushed back to after the writers strike after it was determined that rewrites were needed on Michael Tolkin's script.

Day-Lewis' best actress-winning colleague Marion Cotillard is already attached to play one of the women, along with Penelope Cruz, Sophia Loren, Nicole Kidman and Judi Dench.
Lord I hope this happens
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 7:53 am

Sounds like a great cast, though I think Javier would be more suited to the part. DDL is amazing in any role he tackles though, so I know he will be great. I just think I associate the role with Hispanic men since Raul Julia originated the role and I saw him perform it on The Tonys.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 10:47 am

thanks Aerwin for your personal Hatchet review! Wink Sadly,I did'nt get to watch it last night. they only played on Direct Tv at 8:00 and at 10:00 and we did'nt get done with dinner until 8:30, and we were falling asleep on the couch before 11:00. Rolling Eyes

Wow, as long as they get an amazing actor I think Nine is going to be fascinating! So Javier is out of the running for the part for good?
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 12:52 am

Dunno what possessed me to watch it, as just from what little I heard about it I thought I'd hate it:

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

I am literally laughing out loud, all alone, in my kitchen (got it on that laptop).

It is just wonderfully silly.

I can't say it is anything BUT wonderfully silly, but it sure is that.

Ok..I take it back. THe first half is wonderfully silly.

The second half is just stupid

Except for Dewey's last song on stage and the cut-ins...that is pretty cool, too.

Anybody seen it?
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 5:17 am

I saw it . I thought it was very funny. I thought it was a pretty good send up of all the bio pics. But as my brother says anyone can be a comedian if I were the judge. I am an easy laugh.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 12:01 pm

I find that with a parody, you really have to work hard to keep the funny going for two hours. A skit is one thing. A whole movie is quite another.

Now, I would assume it would go up a notch because of John C. Reilly who is really really good (if y'all didn't see him in Chicago, you should).

So, it being that funny for an entire hour was a feat in and of itself. I don't tend to watch parodies because of exactly what happened to frazz: it usually runs out of steam.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 2:00 pm

John C Reilly is really good . I loved him in Chicago. But I also LMAO at him in Talladega Nights. So it goes without saying that I cannot wait for his new comedy Stepbrothers with Will Farrell.
I also CANOT WAIT for Love Guru with Mike Myers. Have y'all seen that clip with Justin Timberlake? Dude is hysterical.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 2:20 pm

You all know how I love really really good cheese, right?

There was a movie made about 20 years ago (I feel so old right now) called "Point Break". It starred Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swayze about an FBI agent (Reeves) who goes undercover with a gang of surfers the FBI believes are bank robbers.

Yes, the plot is ridiculous. Yes, Keanu's "I. Am. An. F.B.I. agent" remains one of the best worst lines ever uttered on-screen (followed closely by "I know Kung Fu" from "The Matrix"). And yet? When Keanu is on? I cannot take my eyes off of him. I know he sounded like a val-dude. I know what he was doing could barely be described as acting. It doesn't matter. I love him to death.

If you want to see the promise of what Keanu could become, I suggest you see "Parenthood". The scene where he talks to Diane Wiest about her son in the movie (played by a very young and very beautiful Joaquin Phoenix) is touching. He totally connects. Maybe that's why I stuck with him.

You can tell Keanu has worked hard to improve himself. He's really losing the whole Val-dude thing. He's even correcting his really bow-legged walk.

So, why am I blathering on here? There will be a POINT BREAK 2!!! It will take place in Indonesia and I understand they're talking to Reeves and Swayze about coming back. That would be so incredibly awesome I can't stand it. Here's hoping both of them come back for the sequel.

Oh, and I'm sorry Aerwin, but early reports are that Love Guru is going to suuuuuuuuuuuck.

I do think Justin Timberlake is hella talented. He's still my favorite SNL guest star. One of the few who actually makes me laugh out loud ( I just saw Ashton Kutcher and he can too) Justin is hysterical and talented, but this movie may not have been the best vehicle for him.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 2:45 pm

I hope that Patrick stays healthy enough to make the film. I never saw that movie. It sounds familiar though.

JT was extremely funny on SNL! So was Ashton. I saw his appearance last night. I was a huge "That 70s Show" fan and I have always enjoyed him on TV. Seems his movie choices have not worked out so well for him though.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 3:58 pm

aww Man I love Mike Myers. I hope it does not suck. I love all the Austin Powers. JT is really funny. I think he is one of the best hosts for SNL. Speaking of Ashton , did you see JT imitate Ashton a few years agos on SNL ? OMG I was literally holding my sides.

I love Keanu. And yes I know he is not even on the same calibre with DDL but I LOVE him. I was first in line to see all The Matrix movies. I am kinda surprised about Point Break 2 but that would be very interesting.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 5:45 pm

Ashton is a really good businessman, but his movie choices have not been stellar. It's really too bad, because I enjoy watching him. I think he goes for too many slap-sticky comedies. Obvious humor. Over the top stuff. Maybe if he played in something where he was funny, but not tripping over things or going for the big laugh. I don't know. I just don't want him to wind up the next Pauly Shore. I know Ashton can do it. His Kelso was spot-on. Even when he made a mistake, he did it in character.

When JT made fun of Ashton it was HYSTERICAL. Nobody else could have carried off "Dick in a Box". Nobody but him. He's just naturally funny.

Aerwin, thanks for sharing the Keanu love. I also think he and Sandra Bullock are total magic on-screen. Seriously. There was a scene in "Lake House" where, in the movie theatre, I actually cupped my hands under my chin and sighed "they shouldn't do movies with anyone else except each other".
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2008 1:29 pm

*Raises hand* I love Keanu too. In a big way. I know the critics usually don't love him, but I do...and it goes way beyond his looks. But, the looks don't hurt him either! Wink
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2008 2:23 pm

I love that Keanu appears to really be trying to hone his craft. If you ever hear him in interviews, he's intelligent, witty and really funny. Very down-to-earth. I think that's where his appeal lies. If the bread and butter of many actresses is that women want to be their best friend and men want to sleep with them (Bullock) then Keanu is a guy who men want to hang with and women want to...uhhhh...play doctor with.

If he was just pretty, I wouldn't feel what I do for him when he's on-screen, so it must go deeper than that, but as you said, the purty don't hurt none.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2008 9:01 pm

R.I.P. Sidney Pollock Sad
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2008 11:19 pm

Indeed. RIP.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 12:11 am

Awwww...really? That's too bad. They say this stuff happens in three's.

Dick Martin
Sidney Pollack
???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MOVIES! - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MOVIES!
Page 14 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next