Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MOVIES!

Go down 
+9
Badger
mishmash
southernbelle
frazzle
Luca
aerwin
firecracker
austin
Green Eyez
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 1:35 pm

No seroiusly. He asked me what I wanted from Spain and I said Very Happy Javier.

I watched Enchanted . It is a very cute , fun movie. We also tried to watch Across The Universe. Could not get through it. I guess you either love it or hate it.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426
Registration date : 2007-04-04

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 7:07 pm

Javier. Yep.

Here is a long clip from a documentary in three parts. I am in the third part.

Here is the website describing the trilogy.
http://www.originaldigital.net/bmd/index.html

It is a huge (and not public) Flash file, that can be played locally by something like:
http://flvpowertools.com/index.php?sp=12 (I have no clue how I installed it, but I did. In any event you need to have a local Flash Player)

The clip is huge (28 MB ) but it will only make sense if you see the whole thing.
The clip is downloadable at:
http://www.elisecaitlin.com/video/b_m_d-02.flv

If anybody is interested and succeeds in seeing it, I will explain it after that.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 10:53 am

Frazz, that sounds like a very interesting project you were involved in. I would love to see the trilogy...but, alas I am a dork and was unable to download your file. I did successfully download the new version of Adobe reader though. Shocked

Has anyone seen the 2005 movie Hard Candy with Ellen Page and Patrick Wilson? I got Showtime last night and it was on. I really enjoyed this disturbing, but interesting film about Pedophilia...The acting was stellar, and the writing and directing was really creative-it certainly does have it's flaws, but we found it quite entertaining.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 6:13 am

We saw Ironman last weekend. This movie ROCKS!! Robert Downey Jr gives Tony Stark a soul and is absolutely terrific in the role. I am so glad (I hope) that he has straightened himself out. He is a great actor and much fun in this role.This a great fun movie. I just realized this is the first movie I've seen in the theatre since Ther Will Be Blood. yikes.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 11:47 am

I put this in my Dexter recap thread, but I also saw Iron Man and thought it was so awesome! Beginning to end.

Robert Downey Jr. was totally perfect in the role. His sense of comedic timing is perfection. He really had to fight for this role because they wanted someone younger, etc., but he screen tested for it and he says he does really well in screen tests.

He also says he has to go back to humility class. That's in reference to the addiction. Humility is essential for not going back on the substances.

Jay Leno asked him which is better: an oscar nomination or a blockbuster.

He said a blockbuster.

This is an action adventure film with humor and heart. My friend says it's because Jon Favreau directed it. It's very very different from your usual superhero movie.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 3:47 pm

OHH I have to go read the Dexter recap. I did not know it was there! That is one of my favorite shows.

Did you see Robert Downey in Zodiac? He was terrific. It is very disturbing movie. I still remembr certain scenes to vividly. But his character is unforgettable.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 5:10 pm

Yes! I did see him in Zodiac. Very disturbing movie. The scene that stands out for me is when the girl had to just lie there and watch the guy stab her boyfriend repeatedly. That was the most disturbing thing for me.

Well-acted well-done movie. I actually watched a documentary on the Zodiac killer and I think they proved scientifically that guy they arrested in the movie was not him.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 5:28 am

Quote :
The scene that stands out for me is when the girl had to just lie there and watch the guy stab her boyfriend repeatedly. That was the most disturbing thing for me.
that is the scene I cannot forget and it was in the park in the daytime.

I watched The Orphanage over the weekend produced by Del Toro the same guy that directed Pan's Labyrinth. You must watch this movie. I Love horror /scary movies. But supernatural scary ones the best not stuff like Saw. EWW.
Back to top Go down
Badger

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2007-07-24

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 9:13 am

I watched "The Shawshank Redemption" over the weekend. That's a movie that gets better and better every time I see it. And Morgan Freeman's one of those actors that always makes a movie better.

Has anyone here seen "Miss Potter" which is about Beatrix Potter and her struggles to get her books published? I watched it the other day, and it's really good.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 9:15 am

Aerwin, who is in orphanage?

Robert Downey sounds really scary in Zodiac...I must see it! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 11:55 am

Robert Downey is not scary in Zodiac. He does not play the killer. RDJ plays a reporter with a drinking problem. Heh.

That stabbing scene in the daylight is one of the most realistic scenes I've ever seen on film. Usually when you see a stabbing, it looks like a person almost punches the other one in the gut and they fall down. This was not that.

A movie I just watched again is Castaway and I forgot how damn good that movie is and just how amazing Tom Hanks is in it. To be on camera for that long all by yourself talking to a volley ball...how many actors can do that? Also, the amazing energy transformation of him from the beginning of the movie to the end. You really feel like he went through that. It just makes so many other actors looks like amateurs.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 12:58 pm

Luca wrote:
Aerwin, who is in orphanage?

sorry I don't really know any of the actors . It is a Spanish film. I got on a foreign language kick because of Pedro Almadovar and Guillermo Del toro. Del Toro is set to direct The Hobbitt. It will be excellent. If you have have not seen Pan's Labryinth I cannot recommend it enough.

Here is a synopsis of The Orphanage:

Quote :
With fond memories of the seaside orphanage where she was raised, Laura (Belén Rueda) persuades her husband (Fernando Cayo) to help her revamp it as a facility for disabled children. But once they move in, their son Simón (Roger Príncep) begins to exhibit dark and disturbing behavior. As Laura tries to understand Simón's increasingly malevolent actions, she becomes drawn into the house's terrifying secrets in this gothic chiller.

WE LOVED IT.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 10:10 pm

Oo-o Aerwin Orphanage does sound really good..

I actually saw Zodiac now that you mention RDJ's character's GE... Shocked How weird I forgot I saw it...especially with all the blood and guts. It had some moments and had you on the edge of your seat, but I remember being disappointed at the end. Can't remember exactly why though. *scratches head*

Speaking of RDJr and his new Sci-fi flick...would you classify it in the steampunk genre?

http://www.answers.com/topic/steampunk
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 11:19 am

For those of you who haven't seen the ending, I will spoiler.

Spoiler:

I would not say it's steampunk, since it is set in current day. Funny that when they described it, all I thought of was H.G. Wells "The Time Machine".
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 6:06 pm

Quote :
Funny that when they described it, all I thought of was H.G. Wells "The Time Machine".
I think that The Time Machine was a huge influence on the movement. Steampunk today is represented in art, literature, cosplay, dolls, videogames etc. I think the sci-fi, fantasy, gothic, lover in me has gottem me a little interested in the Steampunk stuff.

The trailers for RDJ's new flick made me think it may be steampunk influenced by the machines and contraptions I saw. It looks very cool.
Based on your recommendations, and my love of RDJ I will see it when it comes out on DVD.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 6:49 pm

Make sure you pop a ton of popcorn. It is the ULTIMATE popcorn movie. I love it so much.

The thing that's great about this superhero is that you can suspend your disbelief and think that he could build this suit. Also he's highly intelligent and it's that intelligence that gets him out of situations. That puts him way above other superhero's.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 7:49 am

I asked my son about the steampunk influence on Ironman and he said he thought Ironman was much more modern. He said steampunk usually has some kind of Victorian aspect to it. He said Ironman was orginally written in the 60's and Tony Stark was taken prisoner by the Vietcong. So I dunno . My son is the ultimate marvel geek . Ask Him anything about Marvel heroes and he can tell you. He also is a huge Japenese Animae freak. I think Ironman should be seen on the big screen .J/S.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 8:24 am

I am excited now about seeing Ironman! I know my husband will love it too!

Aerwin, thanks for asking your son if there was any steampunk influence.
It sounds like he is an expert in the field! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 3:36 pm

Hey I was just reading in Rolling Stone that Ironman was written by the same writers that wrote Children of Men! No wonder it is so great. have you seen Children Of Men with Clive Owen? It is a great dark futuristic sci -fi movie. I couldn't believe it hardly got any Oscar noms the year before.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 9:49 pm

Sweeney Todd is finally available to download from pay sites cinemaNow.com, and movielink.com.

YAY I will watch it tonight!

Well, I am halfway through the Sweeney Todd movie...and I am finding myself thinking that Johnny Depp is horrible. Yep. Horrible.
Please forgive me.

His performance (not the direction, not the other actors, all of whom are really interesting in their roles) sucks so badly I really can hardly watch it, and had to take a break (hence this post). What a fake ham he is! He was a fake ham in the Pirates movies, but it was funny there. Here it is not funny. He just plain sucks, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with the technicalities of his singings. Helena is doing a great job, regardless of singing abilities (as is Joanna and the young sailor).

After watching the whole thing:

I can't help it..it is my real take..Johnny Depp is the worst, fakest, actor who ever once had my admiration (except maybe Al Pacino in Revolution ort that Tango thing).

I agree with FC's son who said the movie is just plain depressing.

Yuck.

And for me it has nothing to do with the story or any of the other performances.

Johnny Depp makes it (with I can only assume Tim Burton's blessings) an exercise in pointless icky violence..which has NOTHING to do with any other Sweeney Todd performances I have ever seen.

I am appalled, and I blame Johnny first, and Tim second, only because everybody else was good.

Please do debate.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 6:25 am

WOW Frazz! You really didn't like it!

Yes, my son HATED it. I was being kind before when I said he didn't like it. It actually depressed and disturbed him like I have never seen a movie do. We are talking a 17 year old boy who usually is not bothered by movies at all.

I have not and will not watch it. Anything that could bother my son that much is just not something I would want to sit through. I'm really bothered by gratuitous violence and gore and from the previews the whole look of the movie seems so depressing. Why would I spend money to be grossed out and depressed? There is enough violence and ugliness in RL that I would prefer my entertainment actually entertains me!
Back to top Go down
aerwin

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 10:41 am

Well I totally and completely disagree on all counts. I think it was one of the best movies of last year. And most critics agree with me , btw. And yes I did see a ton of movies last year. And yes I have seen the stage play twice , so I am not ignorant about the story or play. for God's sake it is about a couple who kill people and make pies out of them. What should it be? I thought the direction , acting , cinematography , sets , costumes were all brilliant. Tim Burton is genius IMO . and as far as Johnny depp I completely , utterly disagree there too. He is one of FEW with him being number one of Americans that can act. Most American actors are personas and couldn't act their way out of wet bag. they don't know the meaning of the word. JD can act anything, I think afterr DDL he gave the best performance of the year. I gave Tim Burton many props for not candy coating the story which is basically what the stage play does.

And for the record Movies that I HATE are movies like Pretty Woman and crap like that. They totally give young girls a very wrong idea.

Last edited by aerwin on Sat May 17, 2008 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 11:12 am

Interesting that you hated Johnny as ST Frazzle...I have been anxiously waiting to see what your thoughts were about this performance.

I did not see the play so do not have the advantage of being able to compare the two. But, I was totally intruigued by the film. I thought JD's performance was strong but a bit one-dimensional maybe-looking back on it now. Almost a bit wooden, very much like his Edward Scissorhands performance. And do agree that some of the other actors were just outstanding and perhaps upstaged him a tad. Especially, Helena Bonham Carter. I thought she was mesmerizing.

The thing that impressed me about JD at the time I saw the film was that his singing ability, or lack of-did'nt interfere with his performance and I thought worked on some level. I was so impressed with the soundtrack and the emotion that it brought, I rushed out and bought it, but after one listen it just did'nt work for me without the visuals. That is what told me the lush and dark voluptuousness of Burton's visuals is what impressed me so much about the film, and the music worked really well with it IMO.

I will probably never listen to it again...anyone want it?
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 11:25 am

Boy was I disappointed. I know the movie has many fans and many critics think it is brilliant.

THe violence of it was not the killer for me, it was the fact that the violence was utterly unmotivated by Johnny as the performer.

"I will have vengeance!" is the battle cry, but Johnny was not embodying somebody who must have vengeance.

Basically the story here is the same as any vigilante movie, and Charles Bronson, Jodie Foster, and Kevin Bacon played the central character in similar storylines much more truly. You could absolutely identify with the motivations.

Johnny just seemed to be making angry faces.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 11:35 am

We know what the story is about. I saw the stage play in downtown Chicago and I watched the Broadway version on PBS with the original cast. The story was very received and understood without the need for the excessive gore. Hey, when a teenage boy who goes to see lots of horror films and plays those really bad video games thinks that the gore is way OTT then I am thinking it was probably way OTT and there was probably only one reason for that. A good story teller can tell the story without that. That was evident by the long standing ovation after the play.

Also, many critics did think the gore was way too much and felt that is exactly why it did not receive more awards or even more nominations. Many, many people do not enjoy or appreciate that sort of thing and I think more people would have watched and enjoyed it more without it.

My son loves JD and see all his movies, and loves TB. Yet, this was an upsetting experience for him. So I think one can think JD and TB are brilliant, but still not enjoy all of their work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MOVIES! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOVIES!   MOVIES! - Page 13 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MOVIES!
Page 13 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next