Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

American Idol

Go down 
+10
Janice
Green Eyez
Sky
Luca
muse
austin
abrahammy
southernbelle
frazzle
firecracker
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

American Idol - Page 29 Empty
PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 9:07 pm

Well, a lot of the girls just sorta blended together for me. I really LOVED Ramiele!! (the totally adorable little Philipino girl) What a voice! Gorgeous face!! Cutest damn shoes I ever did see!! If I were young I'd be hitting the stores tomorrow for those shoes!! Anyway, I absolutely loved her and she is in the lead on DialIdol. I liked Carly. I wish she had picked a better song. I still really like Brooke White (I would KILL for her hair!) Lovely girl and very pretty voice. I didn't think Kady was bad. Her voice was great, just a boring song. God, her Britney impression was so spot on!! She certainly is gorgeous! There is just a whole mess of pretty this season! I still really like the rocking nurse Amanda, but that song really didn't show off her vocals. Way cool jeans though! I hope she makes top ten. She is fun! I thought poor Amy Davis was just flat out bad. Joanne wasn't a whole lot better. Kristy Lee Cook was a disappointment, but she was sick and hopefully she will be around to have another go at it when she is feeling better.

I do think this will be the best top 12 ever. Lots of really good voices and pretty and likable young people. I think it's going to be a lot of fun of this year!
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 9:32 pm

THanks for the recs abrahammy & fc, and thanks GE for reminding me about rickey.org.

I do have the girls on right now and there is an utterly icky girl who looks like a tall, less "perfect" Carrie Underwood. Alaina. Not my kind of woman.

Biker nurse is on next. Looking forward to that.
Now I am off to rickey.org
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 9:40 pm

You're welcome Frazz! Enjoy the show!

For Jason Castro lovers there are some You Tube vids of some of his club performances:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd2ymoNXPC4
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 9:55 pm

OK, I am in love with Jason Castro. Love his voice and the deep dark exuberance. I like that much more than light exuberance. Love him. Love him.

David A is really good. I think AI finally found a teen idol worthy of it (unlike the cute boys they have tried to shove down people's throats in the past).

Michael is such a pro somebody should hire him so he can make a good living for the rest of his life. He is a little lacking in the pizazz department, but very good.

Danny...I liked him better in his audition.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 10:38 pm

I'm also on board with Jason Castro. It is so interesting to LISTEN to the person and not watch them. He has the kind of voice I'd stop and listen to on the radio. Doesn't hurt that he's also a cutie.

When I listtened to Michael, he seemed to have some affectations I also attributed to a certain someon I used to love but now despise. Is he the one who sang Bohemian Rhapsody? If so, I may be on to something here, but who knows.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 10:53 pm

I think Michael is a better generic singer than Constantine. I do sense a bit of the same arrogance.

And yes, he is the one who did the exact same vocal arrangement of Bohemian Rhapsody. More perfectly. That's what I mean about he is a pro and somebody should hire him to do covers of whatever, forever. Vegas, New York pop cabaret.... the kids of singing jobs Constantine is now aiming for.

I will give Constantine credit for being sufficiently fucked up under the surface to lend some interesting weirdness when he is in his best form.

Michael just seems like a pro.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 11:24 pm

Definitely agree with you Fraz about Michael being a pro...I don't think I have seen someone at quite his level of professionalism right from the get go on AI before.

Frazzle wrote:
Quote :
I will give Constantine credit for being sufficiently fucked up under the surface to lend some interesting weirdness when he is in his best form
[/quote]
What a wonderful way to describe the Constantine phenomenon! Laughing He just was not on anywhere near the professional level that Michael is...Constantine just thought he was so far about his competition and that was his biggest mistake. Should be interesting if Michael has the maturity and professionalism to use AI as his vehicle to stardom...even if he does'nt "win".
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 11:36 pm

Yep. Luca..I do not yet know exactly who should hire Michael, and I suspect is he is just not fucked up enough to be a star, b ut he is so solid so professional, so reliable vocally (from the three bits I have seen him do). There are people like him who make zillions doing the songs behind commercials. That, at least, is what he can do.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 7:01 am

Quote :
I will give Constantine credit for being sufficiently fucked up under the surface to lend some interesting weirdness when he is in his best form.

Yep. That's what I voted for. There's a flash of genius there. To this day, I really believe that. Flashes of genius are rare on American Idol; they are mostly cookie-cutter. But flashes of genius often are accompanied by emotional instability. In Con's case, it appears the personal drawbacks have dulled the edge of the genius. I'm sad about that, but I understand where the annoyance at him comes from. Sometimes I think that, because Constantine knew he had the flash of genius, he did not feel he had to develop the professionalism and polish that would have set him apart from everybody else.

I was not terribly impressed with any of the girls last night, so my favorite performer for the entire week remains Jason Castro. The boys in general seem to be better than the girls; I don't think any boy sang as poorly as the worst girls did, although flu may have been a factor. (Hey, I just got over the flu. I totally get how it can render you unable to sing - or walk across the room - with any skill.)
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 1260
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 7:36 am

I wasn't over impressed with any of the girls either. Asia'H Epperson I thought did a great job with "Piece of my Heart" though.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 10:08 am

Grinned all the way through it. She sounded good, but she didn't understand a word she was singing.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 3:29 pm

abrahammy wrote:
Grinned all the way through it. She sounded good, but she didn't understand a word she was singing.

Ah, Abrahammy my Love, the exact problem I have had with AI contestants for some time, particularly a lovely blonde country singer: no connection whatsoever with the song.

You know how there's the phrase "dance like there's nobody watching"? I'd like to see someone get so into the song, I feel like they're just totally going for it.

Perhaps the closest I saw was when Bo sang "Whipping Post".
Back to top Go down
Badger

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 3:51 pm

My favorite last night was Ramiele. I think it was a smart move not to go with the "little girl with the big voice" thing because that could get old really quick. I also liked Syesha and Asia'h. However, because there are so many young black divas, they're going to end up cancelling each other out at some point much like what happened in Season 3. Same thing applies with all the pretty blondes. I'm not a fan of Amanda's but I think she's a lock for the top 12 simply because she's different.

I'm guessing we'll be waving bye bye to Amy Davis and Joanne Borgella tonight along with Chikezie and Jason Yeager although I wouldn't be surprised to see Luke Menard go (even though I liked his performance.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 5:08 pm

YAY! Another Ramiele lover!! Isn't she just wonderful?

Badger, I think you are so right about the Black Divas cancelling each other out. Joanne wasn't very good, but the others were all really good IMHO. Hard to choose between them. Yes, LOTS of pretty blondes, but I really like Brooke White.
Back to top Go down
Badger

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 8:01 pm

What I liked about Ramiele's performance is that she chose to be more quiet and nuanced instead of relying on the "little girl with a big voice" thing.

I hate to break this to SPR but there's a big difference between some kid signing a record contract with some fly by night indie company whose idea of promotion is leafleting the local high school and signing a contract with a major label that can afford millions of dollars in promotion. It's like a story I read about Paul McCartney when his daughter Heather brought a boyfriend home.

"I hear you're in a band, son. I was in a band when I was your age."

Yeah, except the boyfriend's band was probably a garage band and Paul McCartney's band was The Beatles.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 8:18 pm

Honestly, I don't care at all if any of these kids had contracts of any kind in the past. They didn't make it or have success, so they are trying to make it with AI. No difference to me. Others were already on other reality shows like The One and Star Search, but they didn't make it with that exposure. It just doesn't matter to me. I think they have as much right to be on AI. Like Nigel says - the only rule is they cannot be "currently" signed with a label. I'm just happy to have a season full of good singers.

The opening group number was really good! They are a great looking and sounding group. It is going to be hard to see a lot of them go. They already seem close to each other.

I was only surprised about one of the four who were sent packing tonight. Amy MURDERED "Where The Boys Are"!! OUCH!

What do you all think of Paula's new song and video? I kind of like the song. She looks really good in the vid too! I LOVED when Simon said it was all the colors in the universe Laughing He sure can be funny. He was a wee bit tough on Colton though.
Back to top Go down
Badger

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 10:28 pm

I thought it was okay. I'm sure they're using a soft-focus lens to make her look younger.

I would have eliminated Chikezie but I don't think either Garrett or Colton were going to make the top 12 anyway, so it was just a matter of time for them.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 8:27 am

I agree. I thought it would be Chik, but it is true that neither Garrett or Colton would go much farther in the competition. Chik is probably gone next week and Luke and Jason Yeager better pick better songs or they will be goners too.

Yes, I bet all sorts of lighting effects were done to help Paula look better. But that is done a lot with TV and videos. Sometimes it is shocking to see these stars in HD close-up pix on the Internet after only seeing them on TV. Lots of flaws you would never know were there. That said, I still think Paula looks pretty darn good for her age.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 9:19 am

If anyone cares, here is a video of Brooke White singing a song she wrote. I just love her! Real talented girl.

While you are there you should check out her singing "Far Away" when she was 16. Just a lovely voice and very much a Carole King for the 2000's!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOEiz111c9c&NR=1
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 12:48 pm

There is a rumor that David A will be singing this song tonight!

Here is a You Tube of him singing it when he was younger on some TV show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIBC6WigZYo
Back to top Go down
Badger

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 5:01 pm

I don't have sound on my computer. What's the name of the song?
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 5:18 pm

Sorry Badger, I didn't say it because I didn't want to spoil it for anyone. The song is:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Badger

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 7:39 pm

thanks, firecracker. He was the best tonight by a long way.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 8:14 pm

I am telling you he will win! The kid has it all! GORGEOUS voice, cute as a button, charming, sweet, and did I mention GORGEOUS voice?!!

He was the best tonight for sure, but I also thought David Cook was really good, David Hernandez was great, and Chik (sp?) was so much better than last week. On the other hand, Michael was awful, Jason Castro - a real disappointment tonight - both in vocals and song choice, Robbie - didn't like his personality at all Evil or Very Mad Danny - I adore him for some reason!! Gosh he has the most beautiful eyes and hair and he has a really nice voice. He is a zillion times better than Sanjaya!

My prediction for who goes home tomorrow: Jason Yeager and Luke. He was better and looked good, but I don't think he has shown enough to stay any longer. Now I will see what DialIdol has to say!

Whoa!! The DialIdol results are really something Shocked
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 10:01 pm

I was disappointed in Michael tonight. Bad song selection. Actually there were some other bad picks this week, but some were well sung.

I did like David A. though. I still hear the breaths he takes but he sings with such conviction and passion that it doesn't matter. I think he became one of the main contenders tonight.

I liked Jason Castro. He has some interesting aspects to his voice. And I did like Luke also. David Cook the rocker is okay for me, but that's all.

It was a very good show tonight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 29 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

American Idol
Page 29 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next