Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Politics

Go down 
+7
Badger
Lau
firecracker
aerwin
Green Eyez
abrahammy
frazzle
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
AuthorMessage
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 10:08 pm

Found this, calling Palin on the line she delivered saying Obama has not introduced a single piece of important legislation:

Quote :
oh wait! Look! Headline: "Lugar-Obama Bill to Keep Weapons Out of Terrorists' Hands Passes Congress." In his first two years in the Senate, from 2004 to 2006, Senator Obama authored more than 150 bills. Here's more:

Introduced a bill (S.1194) directing the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to establish guidelines for tracking spent fuel rods.

Introduced a bill (S.1426) extending provisions in the Safe Drinking Water Act that relate to preventing and detecting contamination.

Introduced a bill (S.1920) amending the Clean Air Act to establish a renewable diesel standard.

Introduced a bill (S.3988) improving benefits and services for members of the armed forces and veterans.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 10:36 pm

HAH! I just realized I thought that was it for the Republican Convention.

I forgot that some old guy is supposed to speak tomorrow night.

I wonder how many other people thought that, since clearly Sarah Palin is the selling point of this convention.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 3:13 pm

Well let's see last night she gave NO answers to pertinant issues only hurled insults. But now can she come up with answers for our job losses, increased food costs, increased gas prices, decreased wages, increased foreclosures, decreasing home equities, health care needs, terrible relations with our allies, and a senseless cowardly war… all of which was caused by the GOP?
She is Dick Cheney with lipstick.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 8:06 am

I watched Mr. McCain last night. I figured this out.

Barack Obama speaks out against the corruption and waste in Washington. He agrees that the last eight years have been a disaster, and the Republican party has betrayed the American people, and he runs on a platform of change. His political capitol is his ideas. Barack Obama is a Democrat.

John McCain speaks out against the corruption and waste in Washington. He agrees that the last eight years have been a disaster, and the Republican party has betrayed the American people, and he runs on a platform of change. His political capitol is his history as a war hero. John McCain is a Republican.

So both are running on the idea that the Republicans screwed up and now he's going to fix it. Which claim makes more sense?
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 8:34 pm

If any of you watched "The Daily Show" right after the convention, GAWD was John Stewart ON. He did that "community leader" thing and then said "YEAH. All you people trying to make your communties better, FUCK YOU!"

Then said people must have been confused because they were making fun of service while holding up signs that said "service" and said they meant they wanted someone to serve them dinner or something.

Then they showed McCain at the convention criticizing Obama for something and then showed earlier footage of McCain saying the EXACT SAME THING he just criticized Obama for.

Oh, and you should have seen what he did with that whole "difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull" shit.

Found this and thought it was veeeeeeeeeery interesting:

Quote :
Abortion Rights Groups Target Palin
By Liza Porteus Viana
Sep 5th 2008 3:29PM
Filed Under:eJohn McCain, Featured Stories, 2008 President, Abortion, Sarah Palin

We knew this was coming.

A number of pro-choice groups are targeting Sarah Palin, spending a ton of cash in an effort to make sure women - particularly undecided voters, no doubt - don't take too much of a liking to the feisty Alaska governor and cast their vote for John McCain in November.

Three major advocates of abortion rights are planning to spend nearly $30 million to defeat John McCain's run for president, citing his new running mate as the core reason, The Hill reports.

NARAL Pro-Choice America, Planned Parenthood and EMILY's List plan to spend $30 million, combined, to defeat McCain's presidential run, citing his anti-abortion running mate as the main reason.

"This is the most anti-choice ticket in history of the Republican Party," NARAL Political Director Beth Shipp told the paper. "McCain put someone as outside the mainstream as you can on his ticket, which is Sarah Palin."NARAL says Palin is especially troublesome for the Independent and Republican pro-choice women in suburban and exurban swing districts who may play a pivotal role in the election. The group will reportedly spend $10 million to target 34 to 35 congressional districts in battleground states.

NARAL also points out that Palin, a member of the anti-abortion group Feminists for Life, said during her campaign for governor that she is opposed to abortion, even in cases of rape or incest. But she also said she would support abortion only if the mother's life was in danger. But when it came to her daughter, she said, "I would choose life."

The Planned Parenthood Action Fund says of Palin: "This selection may satisfy the right wing of the Republican Party, but it will further alienate mainstream women voters." This group is also spending $10 million to reach out to pro-choice voters in battlegrounds.

EMILY's List, which supports female Democratic candidates who support abortion rights, will spend a similar amount. This group on Wednesday released a new poll on what women voters, including Sen. Hillary Clinton supporters, think of Palin and the McCain-Palin ticket as compared to the Obama-Biden ticket.

Of the 800 likely Democratic, Republican, and Independent women voters, the poll found, among other things:

-Palin's background and personal narrative are not particularly appealing to women voters
-Several of Palin's positions on issues, including that on abortion, alienate large segments of the women's electorate and add to the perception that the GOP ticket is out of step with women voters' views and priorities.
-Women voters conclude that the Obama/Biden ticket is more in step with the issues and concerns that are important to women than is the McCain/Palin ticket.

"With the most important decision of his candidacy, Senator McCain managed to appear politically expedient, reverse his advantage on experience, damage his potential for growth among independents and undecided voters, and turn off the women who supported Senator Hillary Clinton," said EMILY's List President Ellen Malcolm. "If Senator McCain thought that putting Governor Palin on the ticket would be a game changer, he may have been right, but not in the way he intended. Senator McCain has seriously misjudged women voters if he thinks he can win them over simply by putting a woman on the ticket."
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 2:19 pm

Mccain seems to be driven in a very PSTD way to go back to the time he betrayed the US under torture-pressure in Vietnam.

As he said in his convention speech, he broke. And he talked about how it was understandable that he broke under the pressure of torture. And he spoke of his fellow POWs forgiving him.

But I think he is still trying to make up for the fact that he broke and revealed info he shouldn't have.

I think he can't forgive himself, so he need for all of us, Amrcians and everybody all over the world, to make him a hero, finally.

I don't think he can conceive of heroism being anything like universal health care, only by putting himself and his surrogates, ALL OF US, in a position of torture, and having it all then work out magically that we do not break.

McCain doesn't want no wars, can't live with himself if he can't keep creating the crisis so he can prove he will die instead of breaking this time.

He needs wars and more wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdJUCU1UH2w
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 3:44 pm

Seriously, I love Jon Stewart. With my heart and soul

Go to this clip and ffwd (if you want to) to about 4 minutes in. They show side-by-side speeches made by McCain and Bush and it is FABULOUS.

McCain=Bush

This clip shows how McCain abandoned everything he stood for. It is really really awesome. Did I mention I love Jon Stewart?

John McCain: Reformed Maverick
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 8:45 pm

I'll click your links if you click mine!
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 12:48 am

I have been following the Daily Kos and I've become aware of a situation that is beginning to worry me - more than just the idea that a large segment of the population have developed amnesia about the last eight years and think McCain with a reactionary religious nutcase Veep represents any kind of change at all.

It appears that a number of states are in the process of systematically scrubbing African-American voters off their registration lists. Furthermore, they did this in 2000, too.

Journalist Greg Palast reports:
Quote :
n swing-state Colorado, the Republican Secretary of State conducted the biggest purge of voters in history, dumping a fifth of all registrations. Guess their color.

In swing-state Florida, the state is refusing to accept about 85,000 new registrations from voter drives – overwhelming Black voters.

In swing state New Mexico, HALF of the Democrats of Mora, a dirt poor and overwhelmingly Hispanic county, found their registrations disappeared this year, courtesy of a Republican voting contractor.

In swing states Ohio and Nevada, new federal law is knocking out tens of thousands of voters who lost their homes to foreclosure.
http://www.gregpalast.com/obama-doesn%e2%80%99t-sweat-he-should/#more-2056
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 11:35 am

Quote :
I'll click your links if you click mine!
OK, here goes:

Lieberman
I don't know why ANYONE would let that ka-RAY-zee ass speak for them. To go from a staunch democrat to a Republican who has completely opposite views from the ones he had! Do they think we'll forget that he spoke out of the other side of his mouth just a short time ago?

Noonan
Man, can that woman spin like a top. To use her term, that's complete and total bullshit! How stupid does she think we are? Of course,t he people who want to defend her will repeat that crap like parrots. I do love that she put in all that crap about the evolution of her thoughts. Why can nobody say "I'm sorry. I screwed up" anymore? Why an entire article of double and triple talk that appeases only the people who want to believe what she's saying? Wow.

Obama
If I can scrape some money together, I will contribute

McCain+War
That video was quite powerful. Also totally depressing. We can't have 8 more years of this.

Abrahammy, they haven't developed amnesia! Didn't you watch the RNC? It's the fault of that freakin' liberal Senate!

Is Palin Dickish Enough to be VP?
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 9:34 pm

Revisiting this later, it seems I quoted the wrong part (I will try to go back and get the right part) it was the specific claims of voter registration dumping that alarmed me.. not this that I quoted:

quote="abrahammy"]I watched Mr. McCain last night. I figured this out.

Barack Obama speaks out against the corruption and waste in Washington. He agrees that the last eight years have been a disaster, and the Republican party has betrayed the American people, and he runs on a platform of change. His political capitol is his ideas. Barack Obama is a Democrat.

John McCain speaks out against the corruption and waste in Washington. He agrees that the last eight years have been a disaster, and the Republican party has betrayed the American people, and he runs on a platform of change. His political capitol is his history as a war hero. John McCain is a Republican.

So both are running on the idea that the Republicans screwed up and now he's going to fix it. Which claim makes more sense?[/quote]

This alarmed me GREATLY! Unfortunately I can't find any corroboration anywhere. It is only the guy soliciting money who all the other people with that information use as a source.

What Robert Kennedy Jr. supports is this:
http://www.novoterleftbehind.net/

So far I have not found anything from him mentioning Greg Palast's fund raiser.
GE:

Jon Stewart's good stuff is great.

The exact portions you pointed out are fabulous.

Last edited by frazzle on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 1:28 am

Robert Kennedy is very respected. I've heard him a few times and really like him. I love the stuff about stealing the election.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 6:28 am

To me the choice is simple. Do you really want 4 more exactly like the last 8? McCain promises to keep all of Bush's policies intact. So right now we have record high gas prices, record high grocery prices, record high unemplyment, 700 billion dollar defecit. I see nothing in his plan that is A CHANGE.

On another note it absolutely drives me crazy that most people do not know anything about the issues. I actually had someone say to me yesterday that she was going to vote for Mcain / Palin because she liked her spirit. I asked her what issues were important to her and dead silence filled the room. At least my husband and brother, both stuanch republicans can debate the issues with me. I think if you don't know the issues , don't vote.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 9:01 am

ooooh, now that would be interesting...make people have to pass a test on the issues and where the candidates stand on them before they can vote!

I love the idea.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 8:40 pm

I have no idea if this is legit or not, but here is a video of a young black man who says he is the father of Bristol Palin's soon-to-be child.

http://ec2-75-101-218-88.compute-1.amazonaws.com/
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 12:28 am

From Reuters, on Lipstick and Pigs:

Quote :
”We’re noticing women coming to our counters with a renewed interest in lipstick,” said Elizabeth Park, executive vice president Global Marketing and General Manager at Elizabeth Arden U.S.

Wonder if sales of bacon and pit bulls are up too?
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 12:33 am

In two minutes (my time zone, which is late) I will be watching Sarah Palin get interviewed for the first time ever by national American media on ABC where Charlie Gibson will do the first of a three part interview with her.

The other two parts are Friday night, I believe.

I do hope everybody looks online for these interviews.

I also hope we all investigate MCCain's recent comments.

He is now running n the CHANGE and REFORMER media platform, meaning he is out and out lying, yet again.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 1:13 am

Oh, goodness gracious.

She is trying so hard to get an A from McCain, and seems to have no awareness whatsoever that making it up as you o along really does suck for somebody who can be President.

The weird thing, the ironic thing, is that as a woman, as someboy who, at times, has been expected to say things that make my boss look good, even though the party line struck me as absurd..I do kfeel some of her pain.

However, she keeps GOING with the LIES AND BULLSHIT!!!!

I always either quit or got fired, because I cannot live with myself as a liar.

She is going forth, spouting memorized lines, and having no fucking clue about history, policy, or factual reality.

I also understand that she brings Brittney/scandal soap opera type drama (or even Constantine type drama from back in the old days) where we pick who are allies and who are enemies based on corrupt Heather type values and fight as though the issues are real (I am separating the Palin persona and Heatherness from the real economy and death-from-wars started by the USA issues...those are serious) ...

understand how if life really is American Idol and soap operas and spoirts games, that Palin is the only one who helps us go brain dead and get involved in a TV type war... she is much more fun on that level than al the guys running...

BUT!!!!!!!

Real stuff is at stake.

We might be dead from McCain and Palin and their attraction to lies and paper-thin allegiance to positions that really, concretely will affect us all.

Obama/Biden are not much fun, in comparison...not enough to cheer for or (just as attractive) SCREAM IN OUTAGE AGAINST....

Sometimes reality and even flawed protagonists (Obama/Biden) are urgently more important than who outfucks whom.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 10:32 pm

Palin prised Hillary again (in a dig at Obama).

I do hope somebody has video of nasty things I am sure she said about Hillary when it was looking as though she'd win!
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 5:06 am

I think you hit the nail on the head, Frazzle. I have read commentary on some of the people who are supporting McCain/Palin, and a lot of them have put almost as much thought into it, and are giving reasons as substantive, as you would use when choosing which person you are supporting for American Idol.

- Oh, I identify with her.
- I really admire him. He's a war hero.
- She's a working mom, just like me.
- I think Obama might be a Muslim.
- Obama is sexist.
- They stand for good small town values. What does that mean? The Daily Show did a GREAT piece about that. It's uh, uh, it's you know, Jesus and a man and a woman. And the flag. Did you know Obama refuses to wear a flag pin? He must be Muslim. I wonder if he's a terrorist.

I am really, finally beginning to understand just how shallow people are. The future of the free world is really at stake here, and people are hissing about the meaning of lipstick on a pig. The other really upsetting thing is that the lies aren't even sneaky anymore. They are so superficial my 11 year old son WHO HAS ASPERGER'S SYNDROME AND DOES NOT COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND SOCIAL CLUES saw right through one of them this week and asked me why Mr. McCain said that.

But he's a war hero, so he's got to be the most honorable person out there. The horrid thing - for a long time, I respected this man. He has sold his soul for this job, at long last.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 12:30 am

Oh the anxiety, abrahammy.

I try to keep tabs on my shallow self so as to understand how the proMcCain-Palins might be feeling..and I do find myself riveted at Saturday Night Live to see how they wil (hopefully) skewer Palin.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 2:01 am

Quote :
They stand for good small town values. What does that mean? The Daily Show did a GREAT piece about that.

Daily Show Helps Us Understand Small-Town Values

The more I watch this woman, the less I like her. The cheekiness of her reminds me of the way our current prez says something he things is particularly clever and kinda gives a little smirk at his own "wittiness".

HOWEVER...

Tina Fey as Palin

Is all kinds of awesome.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 12:11 am

OK, we have not seen the collapse of major financial institutions in our collective lifetimes to equal this.

The Great Depression was worse than we are so far.

But in my many decades of living, there have been other days where the stock market crashed, but no other days where the major mortgage companies and banks and lenders and stock brokers bit the dust in numbers like this.

I am extremely fortunate to have a job making not enough money to live in L.A. but with insurance for health, dental, vision.

I have never been simultaneously employed and fucked at the same time.

My fervent prayer/wish is that Obama gets elected. Bottom line is merely that he is not the same as what has driven us to this financial place.

I don't much care what he does at this point to get elected (dump Biden for Hillary? Maybe. Rig the vote boxes? Nah..l.but I sure hope he goes militant in PROTECTING the vote boxes). Palin? Stop paying attention to her! Let Tina Fey (brilliantly) handle that.

McCain is willing to just be the the face of continued policies of this hideous Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Enron/Blackwater/DUBAI/Merrill Lynch/Fannie Mae/Freddie/WAMU/Owners of News Media and Hollywood Studios disaster.
Panic. Terror.

The Republicans and their cronyism caused this. They must get gone from power.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 1:05 pm

Just go here if you want the truth. This is an independent org that investigates the facts in poltical ads.

http://factcheck.org/
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 11:30 pm

The economic stuff: my real thoughts are that my own life will not be much worse at all than it is now if most of the major financial institutions go under.

I have been supporting those institutions and the class of people much better off than I am who will be fucked if they go under, with no benefit to myself.

$700 billion to bail out people better off than me?

Fuck that.

People who have outrageous mortgages can just let those houses go and become like me, renters.

Why should renters (who never could afford to be home owners in the first place) continue to subsidize over extended-mortgage homeowners and the financial institutions they were willing to make outrageous deals with to begin with?

I do hope some overextended-mortgage homeowners counter my arguments, and include how this $700 billion will benefit me in any way.

People who by whatever means actually own their homes are excused. I am envious of them, and wish they would be generous, but I have no fundamental beef with them (unless they think that the problem with people like me is that we just don't work hard enough).

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Politics - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics   Politics - Page 15 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Politics
Page 15 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next