Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Music!

Go down 
+2
firecracker
Luca
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 10:08 am

I was so entertained last night by the Grammys! So many fantastic performances and surprizes!

The highlights for me were (Not in any particular order!):
Josh Groban and Bocelli's voices harmonizing was truely a spiritual and moving experience. Pure joy in getting to see that level of talent on TV. Priceless.

Fergie's performance with John Legend: I really did not know the girl had
that great of a voice! Outstanding!

Herbie Hancok's duet of Rhapsody in Blue and joyous acceptance speech for the Joni letters: Utterly amazing duet performance with the Chinese pianist whose name escapes me right now. I felt so priviliged to see this once in a life time experience.

Feist's performance: I love her. What a treat to see her perform live. If you have'nt see the video of her grammy nominated song, you are missing out on something really special.

Kanye's theatrical rap/fusion performance: Moving and interesting...and I don't really like rap! He is one cocky dude though...and that is an understatement!

Cirque de Solei's performance in the Beatles Tribute..Just beautiful.

Amy Winehouse: Oh I love this gal! The most talented, quirky, and messed up performer to come around in ages. I loved her back-up band and singers/dancers too! I truely hope she gets herself together... so talented. She seemed so moved and surprized with her win...loved that
her mom was with her for support.

When Vince Gill accepted his award and said: I just got an award from a Beatle...Have you had that happen to you Kanye?????Beyond hysterical! Twisted Evil Laughing

Well, I could go on and on, but I have to go to work!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 10:48 am

OMG Luca! My bestest cyber friend ever - I almost started a thread today about the Grammys! However, it was going to be "I don't get the Amy Winehouse love" Razz I mean I just don't. I don't care for her voice and she is just a hot mess to me. I will admit that rehab song is an earworm Laughing Do you have her CD?

I saw Feist on SNL the night before and changed the channel shortly after she started. I taped the last hour of the Grammys so I could watch Brothers and Sisters. I will have to watch Feist on the Grammys because my mom called me up when she was done and said "Wasn't she great! Who is she? I love her!" So I best check her out because mom doesn't get excited about too many new singers.

I knew Fergie had a great voice and her duet was fantastic. I do not like her CD though. Not my kind of music. She is a cutie though and I am happy for her success.

Kanye, his performance was really good last night - but I cannot stand his antics and rude outbursts.

I was THRILLED for Herbie Hancock!!!

I don't buy much country music, but Vince Gill and Amy Grant are lovely people with wonderful voices. I am always happy when either of them receive their dues. I have many Amy Grant CDs.

The Beatle tribute was wonderful and how amazing did Ringo look! Better than ever! Same with his wife. Another lovely couple!

I agree that it was one of the best Grammys in a very long time. Except if I see Beyonce again I may vomit silent Girl has gotten on my last nerve for some reason. My youngest son walked in during her performance with Tina (of course he doesn't know Tina) and thought she was a transvestite Shocked Wanted to know if she wanted her face to look like that Razz Of course when I told him how she was he said "The black lady at work was right - black don't age!" Cute - and true when you see how amazing Herbie looks!!
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 11:11 am

I didn't watch the grammy's, but that's never stopped me from having an opinion, right?

I do like 1, 2, 3, 4 by Feist. I saw her on SNL and wasn't that impressed with the live version. Sometimes the sound on SNL isn't that great, though. Obviously she did really well at the Grammy's.

I know of Amy Winehouse's troubles, but hers is one of the few albums I can listen to now. I love that I can listen to the top 10 again. All these young female singers going back to the 40's for inspiration is kinda cool.

I liked Fergie with Black-Eyed Peas and always thought her voice was great. The one thing I guess that I don't like about her that's the same problem I have with many female performers who can actually sing (like Christina Aguilera) is why they have to show up with small pieces of tape barely covering their naughty bits. We. Get. It. You're sexy. Put some damn clothes on so we can concentrate on your awesome voice! Stop prancing around and sticking out your ass. I remember when every guy was panting over Pat Benatar and Stevie Nicks and they didn't have to parade around in their birthday suit. I understand why Britney has to do it. She needs to distract people from the fact that she can't sing, but the talented ones...oy.

I can't decide about Kanye. He has actually made fun of himself on a couple of occassions, including a bit on SNL where he kept jumping up to accept every award. I can see that he's very talented.

I'm glad Herbie Hancock is making a come-back. I haven't seen Tina in AGES and am sorry I missed it. I'm sure I'll be able to find that somewhere. Oh, and the saying is "black don't crack".

Vince Gil and Amy Grant...ahhh...it's nice when adulterers have a happy ending.

FC, I agree that Beyonce needs to get off my TV screen for a while. She is way WAY oversaturated. She's on every commercial I see. This woman needs to lay low for a while.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 1260
Registration date : 2007-04-06

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 2:57 pm

I was happy Vince Gill won.........it's not my kind of music, but I did see him in concert with my cousin (he's a fan) and Vince puts on a great show. He's very funny.

Yay! for the Foo Fighters, too.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Well, I tried. I watched Amy and Feist and I still don't care for them. I don't even get Feist. What type of song/music was that? scratch I found her rather boring.

I did LOVE Keys and Mayer!! THAT was awesome! Damn, he plays that guitar!! She is gorgeous!!!

The Prayer by Josh and Andrea was so amazing! THAT is singing! Just WOW!

I also really loved seeing The Time again!! I used to play that song like a madwoman. Very fun for me!

GE, I don't know if you mean Amy or Vince. I have no clue about their personal lives prior to their marriage. I think if cheaters were not allowed awards or success - well, there wouldn't many awards given out in show biz. Hey, if people are willing to support a president who cheated right IN the Oval office, while dignitaries are waiting for meetings with him, then I sure don't see begrudging Amy and Vince any award. But, whatever.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 4:53 pm

First, I didn't say I begrudged them ANYTHING.

Second, I don't care about a celebrity's personal life (unless it carries over to him being an ass to EVERYONE and saying disgusting things to his fans PERSONALLY.

Third, I wish I had been asked what I meant before a conclusion was drawn.

Amy and Vince were both married when they did a duet together. They had an affair, divorced their respective mates, and married each other.

I was merely attempting to be funny. That is my humor. I think I've been pretty clear in both displaying this type of humor and it being harmless AND in clearly stating that I don't care if someone gets a BJ in the Oval Office or Brad cheats on Jennifer Anniston, as long as they do their jobs well and it doesn't carry over to us little people. God knows if our current president had maybe got a little somethin' somethin', maybe we wouldn't be in the mess we're in now.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 5:11 pm

Sorry GE. I didn't mean to upset you - honest. That is the way I took your comment and I was just responding to it as I see it. I do think adultery is horrible, but I know that building last night was full of them. It is so huge in the music business. So when you singled out Vince and Amy I was just surprised.

From this comment "Vince Gil and Amy Grant...ahhh...it's nice when adulterers have a happy ending", I honestly didn't see any other way to take it other than it bothered you that they were "adulterers" and that Vince won. Maybe if there had been a "g" I would have gotten "the joke". Again, I apologize. I feel terrible that I took your comment the wrong way and have upset you. That said, Bill Clinton still turns my stomach and that won't change. Rotten current President or not.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 6:55 pm

It was meant as a very glib off-the-cuff comment. If I meant what you thought and I was serious about it, I would have stated that very clearly. As you can tell, I have no trouble stating an opinion.

If I am glib like that, it means my sarcastic sense of humor is coming out. We can certainly disagree on Clinton. As a woman I should probably be more offended, but I'm not, based on his performance at his job. I certainly don't condone adultery. Any relationship I personally had would end if that happened to me, and I would certainly recommend any friend of mine to leave any guy who cheated on her.

That being said, I do not think it is the crime of the century, ESPECIALLY in the entertainment biz, where it happens on a pretty consistent basis. Hell, I love Will Smith and we all know what happened there. None of us are pure and I can never judge someone as a horrible sleazebag based on a moment of weakness. (No, I'm not talking specifically about Clinton here).

I'll tell you what. I know many women want a man who's rich and powerful. They can have them. They are a target for all women, and men are mostly weak and eventually will give in. I'll take a man who's more under their radar, thanks.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 6:59 pm

Will Smith? Shocked scratch
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 8:41 pm

I believe that he met Jada when he was still with his first wife. I could be wrong.

There's also rumor that he has an open marriage with Jada. Something about him not putting into his vows "forsaking all others".
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 8:57 pm

An open marriage? Really? They seem so very tight when I see them together. I've always read wonderful things about him as a father. I really like him. My boys always loved him growing up. Will Smith was my oldest son's first CD. Two of them. I can't remember the name of them. They never missed Fresh Prince. We would watch together. Good times! I hope Will is a good guy.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 10:21 pm

I woulda fucked Clinton if I thought he liked me.

I woulda fucked Gore no matter what.

Huh? That's not the topic?
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 10:31 pm

I don't think you can always predict what goes on behind closed doors based on the likeability factor of the entertainer's public persona. *shrugs*

Now I would like to try and figure out why we all can't stand Beyonce! I think this is a very interesting situation...Something about her is annoying and I can't put my finger on it. Is it her total lack of personality or charisma, or that she is just overexposed in the media and is everywhere you look. You can't open a magazine, turn on the TV, etc. and her mug is staring back at you. She just bores me to tears. Something about her is so packaged and plastic.

I have to say I think Carrie Underwood is in this same category lately. She just seems so unnatural in front of the camera or something. Also, not much in the personality or charisma department.

So we have two talented female singers who have people dropping like flies to buy their records, and are loved by millions, and are beyond rich. They both leave me cold. I think they are both products without much substance. There is a certain joy or soul about what they are doing that is lacking when I see them do their thing.

Now contrast them with say Alicia Keys... Again, another talented singer, but she is also an accomplished musician. She feels the music....you can see it in her performances. She has charisma. This kind of performer is just so much more interesting to watch perform- for me anyway. Not that I would buy her music either...

Last edited by on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 10:35 pm

Frazzle wrote:
I woulda fucked Clinton if I thought he liked me.

I woulda fucked Gore no matter what.

Huh? That's not the topic?
Say what????? Dayum, you and I were posting at the same time! I can't let this one pass by without a big affraid Shocked Laughing cyclops

Please tell me you would'nt have fucked Carter! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 10:59 pm

Luca, I agree. How can such talented singers lack feeling any emotion or movement when they sing? It's just not right. I watched Carrie perform at the Grammies........she's surrounded by dancers, it's an uplifting song....and still she just stands there........ confused

Frazzle, you crack me up! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 11:22 pm

Sky wrote:
Quote :
Luca, I agree. How can such talented singers lack feeling any emotion or movement when they sing? It's just not right. I watched Carrie perform at the Grammies........she's surrounded by dancers, it's an uplifting song....and still she just stands there........
Well put! I thought her lack of feeling the music just about ruined the performance. She just looked stupid up there in her black hot pants singing her ass off, without hardly moving-like she was on some kind of
parade float or something! No

Then we have Beyonce's performance with Tina Turner... all I have to say about that was she could not hold a candle to Tina in any way, shape, or form, and also wound up looking lame as hell. Especially when these Stepford performers team up with the real deal...it just accentuates what they are lacking. And Beyonce better fire the stylist that put her in that miniskirt... No
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 11:23 pm

Luca wrote:

Please tell me you would'nt have fucked Carter! Shocked

Oh, dearie me. OF COURSE not. The man only lusted in his heart.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 1:11 am

LATER:

I found videos (I did not watch last night):

Bocelli & Groban (beautiful)

TIna Turner & Beyonce...ooops, no...somebody (BEYONCE???) had it removed

Herbie Hancock & Lang Lang (and the fabulous clarinetist and trumpet soloists)
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 4:45 am

Quote :
Now contrast them with say Alicia Keys... Again, another talented singer, but she is also an accomplished musician. She feels the music....you can see it in her performances. She has charisma. This kind of performer is just so much more interesting to watch perform- for me anyway. Not that I would buy her music either...

Alicia keys is gorgeous and has a beautiful voice. But She is BORING!! That is way reason I despise most pop music , it is all oatmeal with nothing added. I only watched the Grammys to see the Foo Fighters . We saw them in concert in Oct and I swaer they are one of the best bands I've ever seen live. I also was pulling for The White Stripes, and Paramour. I just love rock. Know nothing about Country except Keith Urban is a hunk.

But I did watch Crossroads last night with Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, it was wonderful. LOVE Robert Plant.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 5:39 am

"Before He Cheats" is an uplifting song?? affraid

(I like Carrie)

Alicia and John Mayer were not boring at all in my opinion. I thought that was a great part of the show. I find her extremely talented. Nora Jones is the one I find so very boring.

I don't think Beyonce can sing at all. She is gorgeous and can dance, but that's about it for me. She needs to wear more clothes Rolling Eyes and take a break before everyone in the world is sick of her.

(There hasn't been a president yet that I would fuck)
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 7:31 am

Laughing Is that the name of Carrie's song? Laughing I guess I meant musical beat???? Laughing
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 7:33 am

Nora jones , yep boring. Feist I like. I guess I just don't like a lot of mainstream stuff. It just seems same ol , same ol to me.
I tell ya who I just do not get. Amy Winehouse! I mean what the what.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 7:49 am

Sky - Before He Cheats = He cheats on her and she takes a Louisville Slugger to both heads lights, carves her name into his leather seats, slashes a hole in all four tires!! Razz It's a pretty darn angry song, and frankly I thought she did an amazing job with it at The Grammys! She worked those hawt boots and wailed on it - especially the end!! LOVE it and taped it and I am keeping it! The wig was a bit much though. She always wear hair pieces to these events and I don't know why because she has beautiful hair.

Aerwin, like you I am trying to figure out the Amy thing. I can't even stand to look at her she is such a mess and I hated her performance. I was touched by the effection between her and her mom. Maybe her mom can get her cleaned up. I hate to say I sorta agree with Natalie Cole this morning. It bugs me that that business seems to reward bad behavior. I was THRILLED Herbie won best Album not just for him and Joni Mitchell, but because I didn't want to see it go to Kanye the mouth or Amy the mess. Yes, maybe that is a horrible way to feel, but it is what it is. Kanye is just flat out rude and obnoxious. I do feel really bad about his mom though and I am sorry for his pain over losing her. It's kinda like everyone here feels about Tom Cruise. He could give the performance of a lifetime and most here would hate to see him win an Oscar for it.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 7:56 am

Opps wrong thread!!

Last edited by on Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 7:58 am

Differing opinions about music is what makes things interesting.
I totally LOVE Amy Winehouse for example. Her quirky, retro style and jazz/blues voice blows me away. Her album deserves everything it got IMO. It took a little bit for me to be totally convinced she is a huge talent, but every time I listen to the record I love her more. Her lyrics and arrangements are raw, beautiful, funky, and some of the most original music to come out in ages. She is a "real" artist. Yeah, she has some substance abuse issues and is a little rough too. I am also a long term fan of rock music, so that goes along with the territory some of the time, unfortunately.

I was all set to see her perform in Seattle in the Fall, but she cancelled all of her shows because of her issues. After seeing her perform on the Grammy's, I have to believe she would have been a blast to see live. She does seem very emotionally and physically fragile, and an eccentric oddball. I love her trashy, uncontrived style though.. just like I love The White Stripes.

I also like some of the Foo Fighers stuff, although hated that song they performed on the Grammys. I thought mixing that classical orchestral bridge with that song was an atrocity. The melodies did not complement each other at all. Makes me appreciate the genius of the Beatles even more. They are one of the few bands to effectively mix rock and classical music and pull it off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Music! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Music!
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next