Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Music!

Go down 
+2
firecracker
Luca
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 8:22 am

Oh, Jethro Tull!! They did a great job of that!!

White Stripes?? All I know is they make me look fat(ter) affraid

(don't listen to a whole lotta hard rock anymore - except what Eric listens to as he plays it loud and I can't get away from it Razz )

I will have to see if there is a site on-line where I can hear Amy's CD and see if I like her any better without seeing her Shocked

I like the Foo Fighters. I like Maroon 5. I guess I lean toward pop/rock. I adore the INXS songs - old and new. I do not like the bands that sound like they are just screaming at me and they are angry. Thank GOD Eric is past that. I use to just walk into his room and say "What are these people so angry about?" I think his TOOL CDs are really good!
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 8:33 am

We saw Foo Fighters last year and they had a cello player and violonist with them . It was really cool/lMy husband LOVES them. We also saw The White Stripes . Jack White is amazing. You should see him with a guitar. Genius.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 10:41 am

OK, because I love you Luca I went to Amazon and listened to the samples of Amy songs. I just really do not care for that type of music. I guess it is maybe some type of jazz? I agree it is totally retro, but just not my thing. She is probably very good for that genre. The only jazz artist I used to buy was Al Jarreau. I love his old CDs. Wonderful mellow voice and style. But he would be the only jazz CD artist I have anything by.

As long as I was there I listened to the samples of Rhianna's CD and I loved all but two songs on it! I have to go shopping tomorrow for Valentines day and her CD will be my Valentine gift to myself!! Can't wait to crank her up in my car!! I LOVE "Shut Up and Drive!"

It is funny how people have such diverse taste in music. My mom is a huge country music fan and I am just so surprised she is all crazy over Feist Shocked I never would have thought that. Maybe I will go and listen to her samples and see if maybe I should buy that for her.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 11:41 am

Quote :
I have to say I think Carrie Underwood is in this same category lately. She just seems so unnatural in front of the camera or something. Also, not much in the personality or charisma department.

So we have two talented female singers who have people dropping like flies to buy their records, and are loved by millions, and are beyond rich. They both leave me cold. I think they are both products without much substance. There is a certain joy or soul about what they are doing that is lacking when I see them do their thing.

Now contrast them with say Alicia Keys... Again, another talented singer, but she is also an accomplished musician. She feels the music....you can see it in her performances. She has charisma. This kind of performer is just so much more interesting to watch perform- for me anyway. Not that I would buy her music either...

Luca, it appears we're in agreement with almost everything here.

When Carrie was on AI the main phrase you heard was Carrie-bot. Even Simon said she wasn't emotionally connecting with the song. It seems she's only concerned with looking pretty and not singing the song. I don't think she has improved at all since AI. You know what it's like? These people who did something wrong and they want to elicit sympathy, so they go through all the facial contortions of crying and they get all choked up. You're getting all into it until you look closer and you realize there are no tears because they aren't really upset and can't plug into a real emotion. They realize that they need to show emotion, so they do a simulation of what a crying upset person looks like, but it's all smoke and mirrors.

Drugs and alcohol and music. If we stopped listening to every artist who overdid these substances, our record collections would be very small indeed. Amy is not an anomaly. In the age of the internet where we see every move a person makes is why we've got a front-row seat to her problems. It does not take away from an amazing talent who blows Carrie Underwood away (IMO) in every respect. Yes, I hope she gets her shit together, but I don't think she shouldn't win an award because she's got the monkey on her back. It's the same way I feel about Janice Joplin. Nobody is "glorifying" their abuse. We're glorifying their talent. She is realizing she has a problem, and that her mom was with her is a very good sign. Many addicts turn away from family.

White Stripes is a rock band. They are strange, but the band is pretty good. I loved their first single. I think they keep changing their style, so they may be more jazzy now. I think Rene Zellweger went out with the lead singer for a time.

Does anybody remember when Alanis did a beautiful orchestral rendition of "you oughtta know"? The "will she go down on you in a theater?" line was especially hilarious in this rendition.

Frazz, I agree with you about Clinton. Oh yeah.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 12:49 pm

White Stripes are still pretty alt/rock. Jack White also has another band the Ranconteurs. I saw them too. I've been lucky enough to see him twice. I am sure he will go down in history as a guitar genius.

I loved seeing Ringo the other night as well. He looks fantastic. My husband said Tina Turner is in her 70's!! Is She?? She is beautiful.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 12:51 pm

Yes she is!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 6:47 pm

Aerwin wrote:
Quote :
White Stripes are still pretty alt/rock. Jack White also has another band the Ranconteurs. I saw them too. I've been lucky enough to see him twice. I am sure he will go down in history as a guitar genius.
I have listenned to some tunes from the Ranconteurs album and I really liked it...I am so jealous you have seen Jack twice! Which was a better show? Or should I say which did you enjoy more?

I have always liked weird music and weird artists. I was into punk/new wave as a teen and I still am constantly searching for obscure, talented bands, musicians...almost none of the music I buy is considered mainstream. If it is played on regular radio, most likely I would never buy it. I usually tire of "hits" that are overplayed quickly and see no need to buy that music. I do consider myself a connoisseur of good music, yeah I am a little snobby about it to. Embarassed

I am gravitating more to classical and alternative/jazz more as I am getting more *cough, cough* mature... Rolling Eyes I will be buying the sound track to Sweeney...that was beautiful. Also, will check out Herbie's new album to see if I want it...
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 7:03 pm

HaHa - music snob! Razz

I'm a Clay Aiken fan - so I guess you know I'm not into "alternative" music!! Of course you would never get sick of his songs, since he is only on the radio at Xmas time Laughing
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 7:20 pm

I am totally NOT a music snob. Totally not a purist. I like some really good cheesy stuff. It has to be good cheese. Like Wham! That's some really awesome cheese. So, on my mp3 player you'll find 80's stuff, Amy Winehouse, 70's, pop rock, old school R&B, even Neil Diamond. I'm not a huge fan of country, although I like the Dixie Chicks and classic country, like Patsy. Chances are, if I'm with another person riding around in my car, we'll find something we both like.

If something is played ad-nauseum, I will get it after it's been saturated on the radio. I like enough classic stuff for it not to be a problem.

I was just lamenting with a friend that radio used to be album-oriented. That meant the whole album had to be good, and not just one or two songs. The artists are all crying foul that people are downloading their stuff, but they put like 2 good songs on the album and the rest is crap. I mean, you listen to The Pretenders first album, and it's like a greatest hits CD.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 7:39 pm

Ooh!! I loved Wham!!!

I've seen Neil in concert and he put on an amazing show!! Of course it was in the 70's and he was HAWT!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 8:20 pm

I would'nt call myself a purist either. Obviously some of what I like is cheese too. Amy Winehouse borders on that in some aspects. I am just a little snobby about my music knowledge, although realize that in order to be a true connoisseur of a certain genre, you really have to immerse yourself in as much of it as you can. I have very diverse tastes, so tend to listen to a variety of music now, so no longer have that much knowledge about cutting edge musicians in any particular area. Thinking I know more than average person about obscure music is the ego trip I use to play with some musician friends a long time ago and that set us apart as true music appreciators and audiophiles- in our own minds anyway. Now with the internet the world is your oyster, and frankly I would'nt even know where to start in trying to keep up with it all.

If anyone comes up with something cool that is unique and edgy, I would love to hear it. I do miss having the opportunity to share new music with people who have similar musical tastes.

I don't know how to bring You tube stuff over though...I may need a tutorial on that. I am lazy about learning just the minimum technical stuff that I have too!
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 1260

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 11:22 pm

Luca, do you know how to copy and paste? You just have to copy the address showing in your address bar and then paste it here in your post. Do you need more info??? Right click on the address showing in the address bar at the top of your page.......a menu pops up, select 'copy'....then come here make a post and right click where you want the link to be in your post.....a menu pops up again.....select 'paste'. That's all you do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RoZ7APUoJg
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 6:05 am

Here is a new song by one of my favorite bands HIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQizBU7aeTA

Tell me what you think. I love them. I just love music. But I will admit I only know about rock and alt/rock.

Here is Morrissey another of my favs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKoS5X4SMrY&feature=related

one of my most favorite songs by Radiohead :Karma police

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LeLAELIxKY

I hope you like!!

I get to see Radiohead May8 !! I am so excited.

Last edited by on Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 6:31 am

I like Karma Police. A little dreary for me to want to listen to much. I really like the HIM song, but the Morrisey link is actually the same as the HIM link.

Thanks for bringing the links! You should bring more!

BTW, what is up with Marty? I haven't heard anything about him for so long Crying or Very sad What a shame. He so deserved to be a huge star!
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 6:37 am

Fixed the morrissey Link. I love him. He was in The Smiths.

I don't know what happened with Marty.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 6:47 am

He is interesting. Pretty good song. Not something I would listen to much as I really love more upbeat and sing along songs. He is rather handsome though! Loved the look in the vid.

I should google Marty and see what is up with him. Too bad Southernbelle does drop by and fill us in Crying or Very sad But I think she is all about Daughtry now anyway.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 11:54 am

Cool. That's current Morrissey. FC, you ain't seen mopey till you see early 80's Morrissey. Do you remember the Seinfeld episode the fashioned after "Girlfriend in a Coma"? Yeah, that's Morrissey. He was a tad less so with The Smiths, whom I totally love and must locate my CD so I can put it on my mp3 player. "How Soon is Now" is one of my favoritist songs EVER.

Had never heard of HIM, but liked the song. It does sound vaguely familiar.

"Creep" got much more airplay than Karma Police, but that song and video are very very awesome.

This is fun Luca! I wanna play.

Some of my favorites you may or may not have heard of:

Alison Moyet. She was the lead singer of Yaz who had hits like "Only You" and "Situation" in the 80's. She cannot be discounted as another 80's synth singer. This woman's voice could make a grown man cry. She is totally amazing. Please excuse the hair, make-up and dress. This was the 80's after all. Just listen to her amazing voice.

Alison Moyet - All Cried Out

If you only heard Mr. Ugly's version of "I Can't Make You Love Me" by Bonnie Raitt, you are truly missing something, including the true meaning of this song.

Bonnie Raitt - I Can't Make You Love Me

The Motels...ahhhh...Another female singer from the 80's. It's too bad the 80's are known for being a vocalist vacuum, because there were actually people with good voices. I appear to be on my really good female singers kick right now. This is Martha Davis with The Motels.

The Motels - Only the Lonely

Oh hell. To prove I'm the opposite of a music purist, I give you my favorite male singer of all time: Steve Perry. While many put down Journey as just another arena rock band and the name Steve Perry elicits laughs, I stand by him. He is, after all, known as "The Voice". He is a huge part of my childhood. His voice has the most amazing effect on me. I will love him forever.

I tried to find a song that hasn't been played to death and you might not know.

Journey - Mother/Father

That's it for now. I'm sure I'll think of more.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 1:04 pm

Have you all heard the new singer for Journey?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nnNji6s3ck&feature=related
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 3:41 pm

I have Alison Moyet's "ELF" ! It's wonderful! She has an amazing voice!!! I was so mad she didn't make it big here. If you want her latest CD new off Amazon it's a $34 import Mad There are used one though. I only have Elf though.

I am way more into solo artists than bands. My CD collection would bore the crap out of Luca and Aerwin Embarassed The only band I have bought a CD from lately is INXS and Dire Straits. I probably will get Daughtry at some point. I do love his voice when he isn't yelling and I love some of the songs on it. I love Five For Fighting - but turns out there is only one of them not five!! Love his music. I also LOVE Ben Jelan, Delta Goodrem (whose newest CD came out yesterday) she is an Aussie singer (probably my fave female voice) and I have to get her stuff as imports from Amazon. Currently in my CD player are two different Michael McDonald Greatest Hits CD. Absolutely one of my all time fave voices ever!!! Along with his baby blues and stunning salt&pepper hair. Also my new Dire Straits Live CD.

I am not a music snob in any way, shape or form, but I do really love my CDs! They make me happy!

Oh, and Steve Perry always will be the greatest voice in rock in my book! My god - he could just make me cry listening to it from the sheer beauty of it! Didn't matter the song - the voice did me in. The only other vale vocalist who could make me cry just because of the voice besides Clay - was Steve Perry! I remember Kenny Rogers being interviewed when he worked on one of those charity songs like "We Are The World" and he said something like "man, don't make me sing after Steve Perry!" and talked about how he was one of the greatest voices ever. I wouldn't want to be the one to sing after him either Kenny! Razz
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 4:28 pm

Here are a couple of more I love:

Bat for Lashes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1wnOUH2jk8&feature=related

30 seconds to Mars:
The Kill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF1wZQzpeKA

Nine inch Nails
Capital G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AXYFozdtKo&feature=related

AFI
Love Like winter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sevmkc0iLkU

HIM's cover of Wicked Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WA2jBMk-Pk
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 5:45 pm

EEEKKK! That HIM cover of Wicked Game is outstanding!! What a great voice that singer has!! He is hot also! I ran out and bought my first Chris Isaak CD the day I heard that song! I have many of Chris's CDs - and this cover is an amazing tribute to Chris's song! Are all of their songs that good?? Lordie I am going to check them out!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 6:52 pm

Could YouTube be down or something? I can't get any of those links to download for me! I wonder if it is from my end...I usually don't have a problem linking to YouTube stuff.

Sad Sad Sad Dayummm! I am so excited to hear what stuff you are into Aerwin! It sounds like you get to a lot of shows!!!! We really must keep this music thread going since there are such knowledgeble people here that can share their music experiences! I have heard Morrissey...He was very popular on the underground college music channels in the 80's-90's.
I always thought he was interesting, but never investigated further.

Sky, thanks so much for the YOuTube for dummies inservice! I will go and get something to see if it works!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 7:24 pm

EeeK! I guess you just have to keep trying! I was able to see/hear most of the You tube links that everyone brought over now! This is great fun! cheers

Aerwin! I have heard HIM after all! I don't know what song it was, but it may have been Wicked Game! He brings that to a whole other level! Just a fascinating voice! I'm not a huge metal fan, but I like him! The AFI tune is very catchy too! For some reason the make-up, video style, and music reminds me of 80's bands like Duran Duran...cool video! I guess Morrissey is still out there recording! Not crazy about that tune, but he sounds like he is still in excellent voice and would love to see more of his new/old stuff.

Sky, that new Journey singer sounds EXACTLY like Steve Perry!!!! Now that is amazing...and a little weird! Very Happy

GE, I got to see the Alison Moyet performance...she is very good. Never heard of her. Is she french? I am an old Motels and Bonnie Raitt fan myself. I especially love Bonnie's really old stuff.

I have to say of all of the new stuff I got to listen to that you all brought over ....Radio Head is my fav. What is their latest album?
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 11:04 pm

Luca, did you try posting a link yet????

Yeah, the new singer for Journey is amazing, isn't he? And to know the story on how he was found was also amazing! When I first heard him talk before I heard him sing, I thought.........NO, NO, No.......and then he sang!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 11:23 pm

At first I thought Neal was asian! Laughing

Ok, this is way easier than I thought! Embarassed Thanks my laydee!

Paolo Nutini, New Shoes

Hey it works!!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Music! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Music!
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next