Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Music!

Go down 
+2
firecracker
Luca
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 11:45 pm

Sky, thanks for the link, but Neal Schon (the guitarist) can kiss my ass at this point. He threw away the best male singer of all time for cheap imitations, all so he could get his stupid band back and NOT be played on the radio and have to team up with other big bands so they can get an audience. He broke Steve's heart and for that he is dead to me.

Sorry. Whew. Once again, me without an opinion, right?

FC, I have Alison's "Singles" CD. Her rendition of "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" is so beautiful. Her voice is so rich and powerful. She fills me with so many emotions. I adore her.

I'm huge 80s female band lover and Bat for Lashes definitely fits that bill. I got into it.

Ooooh! Mars did an homage to "The Shining" and for that deserve my love. Jared Leto. It's so funny to see him fronting a band and being all emo. Great song and the band is doing well. One of the few actors who took the leap and became successful.

Luca, you should probably visit amazon.com to find out latest albums by Radiohead.

ETA: Really cute video, Luca. I totally loved that song when I first heard it. It just makes you feel good. Love that it's a guy singing about new shoes.

OK, we've talked about really good music, now let's talk about the cheese, shall we? The other night I was watching "Lipstick Jungle" and there's this really hot scene and in the background is this really fun song. I googled and found out what it was and immediately downloaded it. A totally fun dance-around-your-house-like-an-idiot song.

Goldfrapp - Ooh La La

This isn't really cheesy - just total fun. It's not off an album. Beck released it as a single. The first time I heard it, I was bopping in my car like crazy.

Beck - Timebomb

OK, please understand this song is from the 80's before all the horrible school shootings these days. It's just supposed to be a funny stupid song. I hope you see the humor in it. I've loved it since forever. This is the ultimate in cheesiness.

Julie Brown - The Homecoming Queen's Got a Gun
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 1260
Registration date : 2007-04-06

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 11:56 pm

Green Eyes, can't say I was a total Journey fan, but I loved Steve Perry. I'm not that familiar with anything that happened with the band. I just thought the new singer's voice was great!

Luca, you are so welcome. I'm glad I could help................ It is easy..
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 12:07 am

Sky, sorry. Wasn't directing my anger at you. When they got back together and did a successful album, they were gearing up for a tour when Steve needed hip surgery. They told him to do it quickly and when he didn't, they fired him. He begged them. Asked them not to call themselves Journey because then it would be over. Neal did and it was and I'll never see them live again it's all because Neal always resented Steve for taking his band away.

So, now they keep hiring singers who look and sound like him. They recently hired one who everyone agreed was outstanding, and then he had to find out he was fired through other people. Neal wouldn't even talk to him directly.

This band was such a big part of my youth that maybe I took it all a bit personally.

Another friend met Steve and she was a huge fan like I was. She said to him "I devoted so much of my life to Journey". He said, in a sad tone, "yeah, me too".

You would have no way of knowing the history, so I'm sorry for my strong reaction.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 4:36 am

YAY! I am so glad y'all liked HIM. Ville Vallo is the lead singer. He is gorgeous. I will bring more of their stuff later.

Radiohead's latest CD is called In Rainbows.

I also love Trent Reznor from NIN.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 6:25 am

Luca, I ADORE that song!! He is simply the cutest thing!! I am going to visit Amazon and see if I can hear more songs from him. If he has a CD with more songs that good I am soooo ordering it! I just wish I knew this yesterday when I ordered Rhianna - I could have saved on shipping!

I will check out Alison's "Singles" CD and see what all she recorded on that one.

There never has been and never will be a "replacement" for Steve Perry. Just a bunch of wannabees don't they wish they could bes! Steve Perry WAS Journey. To treat him like that is shameful.

No Sky, these feelings are not directed at you and we are grateful you bring us links and info, but yeah - it's a tough subject for people who loved Steve. It's not like what happened with INXS were they showed their love and devotion to their lead singer who they lost due to his unfortunate death and then many years later looked for a replacement. Even during that time of finding the right man for the job (which they did in spades) they always gave enormous respect to Michael. Steve deserved so much better, and I agree - it was jealousy.

OH! I LOVE Goldfrapp!! I am SOOO checking for her CD too! THAT is absolutely my kind of music!!! I agree with the poster about a T-Rex vibe! and I adored T-Rex!!

The Julie Brown song is just not my cuppa. Wasn't she more of a comedian or something? I know she was more than just a singer.

The Beck song is pretty good. Not one I would buy though.

So now thanks to you guys I need to go check out Amazon and maybe blow some more dough Razz
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 8:43 am

Relax, I know it wasn't directed at me........... Laughing
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 9:43 am

Good! Because you know we love you! I love you

Well, I have been listening to a lot of samples while I do paperwork for my dad. Here is how it went for me.

Paolo guy's CD didn't have too many songs on it that were as good as New Shoes. So I'm skipping that CD. I did order a new ELF from Alison Moyet. The only songs on her Singles CD that I really liked a lot are from that CD. I only have the LP of that one and found a good deal on the CD. Goldflapp - the Oh La La song was the only one I liked (and I just LOVE it) but the rest of it felt like I was listening to Britney. Too bad - that was a disappointment.

I am bringing some new music to you ladies. I don't know if you have heard of this new young female artist. I have seen her on TV a few times and really enjoyed her. I saw her again last night and this morning decided to check out her CD since I loved all 3 songs I had heard her sing. Well, I love every sample! She has an amazing voice. She writes all her own songs (very Carole King meets Michelle Branch and I love both of them) she plays piano and guitar. Very talented and beautiful young women. Please take a moment to listen to her songs at Amazon and tell me what you think. I just bought her CD along with the new Elf.

Her name is Kate Voegele. I hope you enjoy her!

Kate
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 11:11 am

FC, Julie Brown is a comedienne. She's kinda like a female Weird Al when she does songs. I think I also saw her version of "Like a Vigin". If you grew up with that song, you'd like it better. Probably not your cuppa if you didn't. Some of the lines in there I found hysterical. "The entire glee club had died! No big loss..." Because of events like Colombine, people throw that blanket over it and can't see the humor. It's very sad that she was parodying something that could never and should never happen, and then it did.

Sky, I'm glad you understood that. FC, thanks for the solidarity regarding Steve. You hit the nail on the head. Neal wouldn't have anything right now if it wasn't for Steve. Jonathan can also go to hell after he said "there was a journey before Steve Perry and there will be a Journey after". There wasn't and there isn't. I'm sure the 20 or so followers they had before Steve were disappointed, but the millions who wound up loving them are way more disappointed now.

Oh, FC, I should have warned you not to listen to all of Goldfrapp. I smelled one hit wonder right off the bat. Just download that one song and have fun! With Alison Moyet, I suggested the "Singles" CD because you said the other was so expensive.

If you like that Michelle Branch thing, you might want to check out Sara Bareilles.

Sara Bareilles - Love Song

FC, you have proven my point about many artists today: that they only have one or two good songs and the rest is sub-par. Then they complain because we don't want to spend 15 bucks for the CD.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 12:29 pm

Oh Thanks GE! I really enjoyed the samples from her CD! Since I just bought 3 CDs in the last 24 hours I'm gonna hold off for now, but I did put her in my Wish-list! In case you haven't guessed I really enjoy female vocalists who play piano and guitar and write cool songs about life and love! Especially with some uptempo and I can sing along.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 1:44 pm

FC, I went to Youtube and listened to Kate. I like her!

I was trying to think of the other hot female singer right now and I looked up the billboard chart and finally remembered! I think you'll like her too.

Natasha Bedingfield - Say it Again
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 2:45 pm

I've heard Natasha many times. I do like her. She has a very good voice and she is lovely. I never quite liked her songs enough to buy one of her CDs.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 3:05 pm

When I stop to think how many female singers I like, there aren't many. I will always love Bette Midler, Cher and a sprinkling of a few others. I like Jordis Unga and Dilana. My taste in music tends to lean towards male singers. I honestly can't remember when I last bought a cd of a female singer. scratch
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 3:47 pm

I have a lot from both, but I think I listen to more CDs from the female singers because the songs tell the story from the woman's point of view.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 7:10 pm

My early love of Pat Benatar, Heart and The Pretenders has led me to really appreciate a good female singer. It's weird how most of us love to listen to bands with male singers, but when I watch AI or go to karaoke, I automatically assume the guys can't really sing.

FC, how do you feel about Paula Cole?
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 7:18 pm

OMG, I forgot about Heart............love them!!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 7:54 pm

Oh I LOVED Pat and Heart! Anne Wilson has such an awesome voice!! I liked the Pretenders but I was not that into them. I have "This Fire" by Paula Cole. I really like that CD. That is all I have by her.

What about Billie Myers? Her "Kiss the Rain" is one of my all time fave songs!!
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 8:40 pm

Need your opinions....

I am not enough into the running of this board to figure out how to move a topic, but I figure this out to be in the same section as movies and TV (renamed if it can be, to add Music.

What do you think? We would most likely lose the posts already here.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 8:42 pm

Well, there's this song from the City of Angels Soundtrack. One of the sexiest songs EVER. PLUS a little something extra for you Moonlight lovers!

Paula Cole - Feelin' Love

Pat and Ann are the two most amazing singers ever, male or female.

I also have a soft spot in my heart for Stevie Nicks. I dare anyone to listen to HER version of "Landslide" and not agree she is amazing. Especially after hearing other versions by artists I actually like (Dixie Chicks and Smashing Pumpkins).

Speaking of Fleetwood Mac women, please listen to Christine MacVie's "Songbird" and tell me it's not one of the most beautiful things you've ever heard.

Christine MacVie - Songbird

Frazz, I would hate to lose the posts already here. I could swear there was a way to move it and keep the posts intact. I think I did it on the...uh...other board. Let me research, OK?
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 8:43 pm

There should be a way to move it without losing the posts. They do it all the time at The Clay Board. Not that I have a clue how they do it Razz
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 8:50 pm

OMG YES! How could we have not mentioned Stevie yet??!! I loved her back in the day!

EEEKKK! Mick and Beth!!! Be still my heart!! HOT video and Hot song!

Yeah, I would sure hate to lost the posts here. This thread has been hopping AND we are hearing lots of good music!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 9:33 pm

Yes, I think this thread should go to the entertainment section. Sorry I should have thought of that! Embarassed

GE: Time Bomb by Beck!!!!! Squeee! Now that is some cool cheese! Give me some Beck cheese anytime!

I am on the cheese train now! A little Bryan Ferry cheese anyone?
Bryan Ferry, These Foolish Things

Last edited by on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 9:47 pm

GE gonna research? I am happy.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 10:14 pm

Frazz, go here and scroll down to SECTION 5: MODERATING. It looks like a pretty simple process. Let me know if this is not what you're looking for and I'll do further research.

Luca, I have Bran Ferry/Roxy Music's greatest hits. I'm sold on the great cheese that is Bryan Ferry. The most awesome cheesy song by them is...

Love is the Drug

Ooh, Luca, your link didn't work. I find if "&feature=related" (without the quotations) is not at the end of the link, it will be a dead link. Just add that right at the end of your link with no spaces and it should clear it right up.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 10:27 pm

I think it is fixed now GE, thanks my laydee! Love is the drug is one of my all time fav songs...cheese or no cheese! You don't know how it thrills me to find another Bryan Ferry lover.... I love you

Have you seen that "These Foolish Things vid before?" Isn't it something?
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 11:03 pm

Thanks, GE!

OK, I am logging in as admin (Hopefully I remember my password, and the frazzle one to come back as me...if I don't, I will sign up again as some variation on frazzle one I move the topic!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Music! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music!   Music! - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Music!
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next