Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

American Idol

Go down 
+10
Janice
Green Eyez
Sky
Luca
muse
austin
abrahammy
southernbelle
frazzle
firecracker
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

American Idol - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 6:46 am

I couldn't agree with this writer more!

Quote :
Charlotte Observer

Idol thoughts

Overall, "AI's" weirdly perfunctory battle of the beatboxer vs. the teenager passed fairly quickly, coming off as more of a normal performance show than the penultimate night of television's world-beating ratings juggernaut. (Or, to - shudder - paraphrase Randy, it was just a'ight for me, dawg.) Where was the electricity in the air? Where was the special-occasion vibe? Where was the choir exultantly accompanying our two finalists as they hurtled toward a dramatic finish, performing this year's requisite sappy "Idol" single, "This Is My Now"? Not at the Kodak Theatre on Tuesday, that's for sure. Perhaps the giddiness is on hold until Wednesday's two-hour results extravaganza (which, after all, will likely include some form of Sanjaya, unlike Tuesday's show), the show that last year delivered jaw-dropping amounts of both the random (Meat Loaf? Prince?) and the insane (a Clay Aiken wannabe? Also, Clay Aiken's hairstyle?). Or perhaps it's decided to just not show up at all.

Even if not all previous years' "Idol" finales were major cliffhangers - honestly, only Season Two's Ruben/Clay ending was what you'd really call a nail-biter - they still all contained their fair share of tension, and a sense that something big was afoot. Tuesday, neither contestant seemed to fully seize the stage.

Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 7:19 am

I did watch. I did not bother to vote. Blake could not have been more set up to fail if they'd turned his microphone off and made him sing in the dark.

The most brilliant performance by any American Idol contestant yesterday came from Sanjaya Malakar. I officially think this kid is brilliant. Note the shark on the wall. "AI has jumped the shark"

http://www.tmz.com/2007/05/22/sanjaya-human-art-project/
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 8:20 am

OMG! Do you know how much I would love it if Sanjaya was Bill Vendall.And fooled alll the AI PTB.
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

Number of posts : 502

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 9:38 am

The show was just "eh" for me too. I took K roller-skating with her school so I actually wasn't home when it was on, (couldn't convince her that we really should stay home and watch Idol instead of going skating! She has her head on right.)

My friend called me later to tell me how great Daughtry was (she's trying to convert me because I've never been into him). So I watch the show and there's NO Daughtry. Only at the end where Paula looks at the stage and crazily says, "I love you Chris!" So, Daughtry came on at the every end and my DVR had already stopped recording. I'm sure I can find the performance somewhere.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/austin_ambrosia
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 12:48 pm

First of all, Abrahammy, I think you're totally right about Blake. Once Melinda was out of the picture, they just went full-force with Jordin. They couldn't have been more clear in their intentions. The coronation song is always insipid, but crooners and Divas are OK with it. The Rockers and pop artists will never be able to sing that shit with a straight face and make it believable.

Second, I'm so glad my impression of Sanjaya was right on the money: that he was the only real entertainer in this year's competition and that when he left, the show totally died. LOVE HIM!!!!!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 2:08 pm

I saw that last night Abrahammy and I would give my left nut (oops, that would hubby always says) if it were true! That would be the best AI story to come out of this year.

I'm sure Blake has all day to except his fate tonight and he should thank his lucky stars he don't gotta sing that crap! (bad grammar on purpose)
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 2:39 pm

Have you all seen this yet? Ha. Sanjaya - love.

http://www.tmz.com/2007/05/22/sanjaya-human-art-project/
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 2:56 pm

Austin, that's what Abrahammy linked to just above. We've been talking about the genius that is SM.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 3:06 pm

Well you know if you think about it I guess there are only two hugely sucessful winners: Carrie and Kelly.
The others that are very sucessful are Daughtry, Clay , Jhud. Even Bucky and Kelly Pickler have hit CDS. Elliott too. All of these outsold Taylor. And Daughtry outsold him by miles. So really what does it mean to win? You certainly get exposure for yourself . So when Jordin wins that is still no guarantee. I feel in the long haul Blake will prove more popular.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 3:15 pm

Aerwin, yep. Like I said, even though Simon has a total hissy fit every time someone dares to suggest that you don't have to WIN AI to become successful, the only "winners" to become really successful and outshine all the others are Kelly and Carrie.

You've already pointed out that just because you don't come in F-2 or even F-3 doesn't mean you won't be wildly successful. Everyone knew Chris was the real singing star. Taylor was just fun and Kat is boring as oatmeal, but since they've done it "boy/girl" they always make it so it's a "boy/girl finale. If there's one more girl or one more guy, guess what? Buh-bye.
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 3:41 pm

Oops. Sorry. Embarassed I thought I had read back thru there and somehow I missed your discussion. Or I'll just blame it on the menopause which seems to be affecting everything I do and think. Sigh.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 4:53 pm

Clay and Ruben, Fanty and Diana. Only two out of 6 seasons have not been boy/girl. I don't know if that is planned or not. The Clay/Ruben finale was the only real nail biter. The rest were pretty easy to predict. Tonight, Blake doesn't have a prayer from all the spoiler sites. Only season 2 was too close to call. Makes tonight rather anti-climatic.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 6:10 pm

I understand what you're saying, however only BEFORE they made it boy/girl did they have a boy/boy, girl/girl finale. EVER SINCE they made it a boy/girl competition, have there been consistently girl/boy F-2. Even if there's like 4 guys left and one girl (Ace, Chris, Taylor, Elliott and Kat) it STILL winds up being boy/girl. It seems odd, especially when Chris was such a favorite.

This year: Laisha, Melinda, Jordin and Blake. Three girls/one guy and it STILL winds up being boy/girl.

Blake doesn't have a prayer because they totally tripped him up last night. They threw the sparkle on Jordin and then Simon totally kissing her ass. It stopped being a contest.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 6:22 pm

I think maybe the teen girls keep the last boy in there Laughing Or maybe TPTB like those cute boy/girl duets like Blake and Jordin did tonight Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 8:31 pm

American Idol Season 6 - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

The Good -

Blake's beatbox, hip hop duet! That was awesome!! If he could have done that last night he may have had a chance to pull off the win.

Gladys Knight!! Man, she is still the bomb and looks amazing!

The medleys with the whole top 12. As a group they sounded really, really good together.

Taylor - looked great and I loved both his performances. AI has not given him enough respect in my book.

Kelly, Carrie and Ruben all did wonderful jobs! Congrats to Carrie on the 6 Million award! God she is pretty.

How great to see the former winners together - minus the one winner I cannot stand (sorry Fanty fans - so glad I did not have to hear her yeah, yeah, yeahs tonight)

Sanjaya looked super cute! Great hair on that kid.

Smoky's gorgeous blue eyes!

The Bad

Sanjaya's attempt at singing affraid man that was bad. Boy should be a model though. Long and lean and looks fantastic in those long jackets!

Tony Bennet puts me to sleep. God bless him though.

Bette Midler sounding a little rough. That makes me sad.

Running over time and messing up the people who Tivo'd Shocked

The Ugly!

Clive Davis the Crypt keeper. If new songs written by great Nashville songwriters are SO amazing, then why Mr. Davis did you scrape Clay's CD of original songs written by said songwriters and have him record oldies Suspect Oh yeah, you're an ass.

The pic of the bush baby - hope that poor kid does not let things like that bother him.

A certain former contestant that cannot resist mugging for the camera Rolling Eyes like always. anytime a camera is near him.

For the most part I thought this was a fairly entertaining finale - but it lacked any water cooler moment. I cannot imagine people will be buzzing about this show tomorrow morning.

I will patiently await Blake's CD and hope it does well.

OT - I brought my dad home today! 6 weeks to the day. I took him to get his stitches out. The stump is healing well. Man, is it hard to get him in and out of the car Sad
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 8:50 pm

I caught a snippet of the red carpet special and SIMON KISSED JORDIN ON THE CHEEK AND CONGRATULATED HER ON WINNING BEFORE THE SHOW STARTED. ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 8:58 pm

He probably checked ZabaSearch first thing this morning just like I did Razz
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2007 12:57 am

I LOVED Blake's beatboxing duel (yes duelling beat boxing). I don't think he is much of a singer, but he is a great beat boxer.

Clive Davis bragging about the millions sold (especially by Daughtry, and I like him, but Clive was SO insulting to Taylor) was outright offesive to me.

Jordin deserved to win, out of this group.

Seeing Melinda singing with the group she used to do back ups for was great.

Sanjaya makes me smile...kinda shake my head at the same time, cuz his singing sucks, but really smile. I got a huge kick out of his Art School video.

I thought the bush baby kid and his pal were so touching. I do believe the kid has developed a properly thick skin about that. The two buddies are now odd celebrities, which would not have happened without the insult.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 1260

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2007 8:20 am

I was only able to watch the last hour so I missed Blake's performance.

Jordin will be a huge star..............she has a great voice, she's young, and she's cute!

What's funny is Simon the other night had to rescind what he remarked about the talent found in Seattle! Initially, he had said the worst talent ever, the worst auditions ever, was Seattle. Even though Jordin isn't from Seattle, she auditioned there..........and Blake is from Seattle..........guess it wasn't the 'worse' talent place!!
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2007 9:02 am

Consider this, not only did both Blake and Jordin come out of Seattle, but so did the songwriters AND... Sanjaya. For good, ill, or weirdly wonderful, Seattle was everything this year. Tennessee tried - it offered up Melinda - but aside from her consistent excellence, Seattle was the whole damned season.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2007 9:37 am

Wasn't Seattle where Grunge came from scratch

I love this!

Quote :
This morning Good Day LA reported that the ratings were slightly lower than last year. Blake and Jordin have been interviewed, via a live feed, on the show this morning. Cute story - Dorothy said right before the name of the winner was announced Black said to Jordin "If I win, will you sing that song with me?" BWAH!

Blake - I bet he soooo hates that song! He seems like such a gentleman. I loved the way he kissed her hand before the announcement.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2007 9:43 am

Yes, Seattle was where Grunge came from........thank goodness. We can claim two of my favorite groups, Nirvana and Pearl Jam!

Blake seems like a true gentleman. How many other contestants have gotten flowers for the remaining girls, like he did for Jordin and Melinda?

I hope Blake gets lots of offers, so we can all hear his kind of music, not the sappy stuff from Idol. I'm mainly a rock/grunge/alternative music lover, but I appreciate all good music. My collection has many artists from Pavarotti to Nirvana (and all of Clay's!).
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2007 10:06 am

Aw, all of Clay's! Have I told you lately that I loved you? I love you

You do have very eclectic taste!

I too hope that Blake gets the chance to shine and show his talents. His duet last night with the rapper was just about my fave part, simply because it was such a nice departure from the sappy songs this show has been so associated with. I wish he could be the start of the show bringing more diverse styles. I wish they would let the kids do more current music and their own originals if they are songwriters. With ratings dipping, maybe TPTB will make some changes for next season.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2007 11:38 am

I will have to go see if I can view the part of Blake beat boxing last night. I'm sorry I missed that performance.

Yes, I do love Clay! Music is very much a part of my life!
Back to top Go down
aerwin

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2007 3:37 pm

Quote :
We can claim two of my favorite groups, Nirvana and Pearl Jam!

Me, too! I love , love Eddie Vedder. I mainly only like rock or altenative rock. That is why my husband is always perplexed that I even watch AI.

I didn't watch last night because it was a given Jordin was going to win and I am obsessed with Lost. I hope Blake does well. I think I will be surprised if Jordin has huge sales. I think the spark has gone out of AI for a lot of people.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 19 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

American Idol
Page 19 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next