Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Former Reality Show Contestants

Go down 
+8
mishmash
abrahammy
Badger
Sky
Luca
austin
frazzle
firecracker
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26 ... 33  Next
AuthorMessage
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 6:57 am

Badger wrote:

I'm sure if the baby's a boy they'll name it Clive. Razz Razz Razz

CLIVE??? affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 10:20 am

You mean cryptkeeper. UGH!!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 12:21 pm

Aerwin wrote:
Quote :
You mean cryptkeeper. UGH!
Laughing Laughing Laughing I'm kind of surprized Clive has'nt dumped Bo since his records have'nt sold all that well. Shocked
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 12:43 pm

Bo was let go a long time ago. His second CD was with a small label. Badger would know more about it. But Bo was dropped from RCA/Jive/whatever before Ruben, Taylor and Kat were.
Back to top Go down
Badger

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 10:50 pm

Bo's last CD was with Sugarmoney/StratArts which was affiliated with his management company SAM (the same one as Clay's although they had different personal managers). It was a Wal-Mart exclusive and Bo was not happy about the way that went down. Anyway, he has left SAM and is now with a different management firm that deals exclusively with rock and indie acts.

As a Bo fan, I can tell you that his fans are just as critical of Clive as we are.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 5:32 pm

Aw, Con said something nice about Clay I love you I guess I will have to like him now Razz

Quote :
According to Him . . .

Friday, February 22, 2008; Page WE09

Along with the other "American Idol" contestants mentioned in the story, Maroulis agreed to play a little word association in reaction to a few more names from the show:

Kelly Clarkson."Um . . . Kelly Clarkson, well, she's the original."

Clay Aiken."He's got a vulnerability about him. I think that's what draws him to people. He's really talented; not my cup of tea but definitely good at what he does."

Sanjaya Malakar."He's a character, a caricature even."

Jordin Sparks."Green but sweet, very talented."

Ruben Studdard."Ruben is nice."

Justin Guarini."He's actually grown on me. He's really good at what he does."
Back to top Go down
Badger

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 6:12 pm

I understand he trashed Jessica Sierra pretty good. Don't know if it's in this same interview.

I have to say I kind of agree with him on Justin Guarini. I'm not a fan but I think considering how he was treated - having to find out his contract was dropped in the press - and the fact that as the first "first runner-up" the rules then were much different then they are now and he had to stand back from opportunities, he's amazingly unbitter. And I enjoy reading his blog about the show. He basically writes about this season's show and also his own season and how different things were back then.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 6:19 pm

I didn't see anything about Jessica in that little blurb, but if he did I am not surprised. She said horrible things about him and I don't think he lets things like that roll off his back very easily.

I always liked Justin. But you see, I have a son named Justin with curly hair so I think I had a soft spot for him from the get go Razz He did get treated pretty shabby.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 6:56 am

Wow, this didn't take long!

Quote :
Carrie Underwood Invited to Join the Grand Ole Opry

Carrie Underwood will be formally inducted as a Grand Ole Opry member during the May 10 performance of the long-running radio show. The American Idol winner received the invitation from Opry member Randy Travis during Saturday night's (March 15) show after she sang Travis' "I Told You So," a song she recorded and released on her Carnival Ride album. In accepting the invitation, Underwood said, "This is one of the best nights of my life, and it's certainly something I'll never forget. And I'm glad each and every one of you were here to share it with me. This has been absolutely amazing." Underwood made her first Opry appearance on June 10, 2005, just two weeks after winning the American Idol competition.
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 7:58 am

That's a good move on the part of the Grand Ole' Opry. Good for them getting in young, new talented faces. Country music is sure a happening arena!
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 8:07 am

Quote :
Aw, Con said something nice about Clay. I guess I will have to like him now.

He has his moments. Con's a difficult man, but I've never met anybody who was all bad. Idol commentary is actually one of his strong suits, IMHO.

Quote :
I didn't see anything about Jessica in that little blurb, but if he did I am not surprised.

Hell for either of them will be locked in a room with the other for eternity. Best he doesn't comment, especially since Jessica is SO messed up right now.

Crying or Very sad

Quote :
Carrie Underwood Invited to Join the Grand Ole Opry

Gotta hand it to the Farmbot; her post-Idol work has been entirely worthy and she earned that Grammy. I actually have Jesus Take the Wheel on my iPod. Glad she's getting this honor.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 2:03 pm

Oy. You know, I keep trying to give this girl a chance. I watched her when she was on Saturday Night Live again, just to make sure I wasn't dreaming that she does not connect with a song. That she just sings the song and does not tell a story. This is a live show with a live audience, so I figure better to judge on that than a video, where she only has the camera.

I....stand by my position.

It's really weird, because I went to see a play yesterday: Mask. (I will talk about the whole experience in another thread). WOW. The singers would sing a song and I was crying. Even the kid, who was so heartbreakingly good I couldn't stand it. The mom had to project pain, but she did it in such a real way and when she sang to her son I was weeping buckets. To hear and see people who sing and tell a story at the same time...I swear to you I was actually thinking of Carrie Underwood and her woodenness and it got me even angrier about her.

I agree that the Grand Ol' Opry should take young talented singers into their ranks. However, I think it should be a singer who explores new ground in country music. Who has something to say. Who writes their own songs. Carrie brings nothing new to the table.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 3:43 pm

Well, she brings a great voice to the table and she does write some of her own songs. I get what you are saying about her not connecting, but I don't think she should be compared to the people in Mask because they are also actors and trained to connect to the role and the emotion. Carrie is not an actress or studied acting. I think she has come a long way in her videos though since her first one. I agree she is not a great live performer and I would not pay money to see her in concert, but she can certainly sing the heck out of a song and she has sold a boatload of CDs and won a room full of awards. I think that is what The Grand Ole Opry looked at in their decision. I think they either saw it as a good business decision to include the hottest Country star out there right now, or they feel she earned it with her vocals. I think it is more the former than the ladder.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 4:30 pm

OK, I can see what you're saying about good business. I'll certainly buy that (get it? BUY that!). I don't agree that her voice is that great, though. I don't think it stands out.

Like I always say. I'll take a mediocre voice and a great storyteller any day of the week over a person who just sings well.

I think the best example of a fantastic storyteller is Barry Manilow. He does not have the best voice in the world, but I've seen him live and I was totally riveted. My friend, who's younger than I am and a singer, loves him and took me. I knew I'd completely enjoy myself. I was right. He makes the performance a celebration.

His female equivalent would be Bette Midler.

Stevie Nicks does not have the best voice in the world, but I cannot stop listening when I hear her. Her guts are just laid out there. I love it.

Now someone like Annie Lennox...WOW. She's the super-duper package. An amazing voice and range and an awesome storyteller. I feel that she has not gotten enough recognition for her work. This is a woman who has put in her time and evolved.

So, I guess that's why I look at a Carrie Underwood and get a little hot under the collar, when women who have worked for thirty years in the business, and who are amazing talents, barely get people to acknowledge them. I just feel it's all come way to easily for Carrie and she hasn't had to work for anything. I think that's why she doesn't connect when she sings a song about heartbreak.

I have liked the performers on Idol who have been struggling musicians. They were a great talent in a small-time band who finally got a national audience and were able to really show their stuff. I guess that's why I don't begrudge Daughtry for his accomplishments.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 4:53 pm

You aren't kidding she has had it too easy! I cannot believe how many awards she has won in two years! I expect her to get her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame any day now! I like her voice a lot. She doesn't do anything for me as a performer or even an interview. I think she is probably a nice person - from her 100 acceptance speeches, but in an interview No

I never saw Barry but I heard he is great in concert. I like his voice actually. Bette - LOVE her! Always have, always will!

Annie is amazing! I've seen her in concert a few times. She has won many awards and praise - but to be dumped like that by her label Evil or Very Mad Terrible!
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 5:56 pm

Quote :

So, I guess that's why I look at a Carrie Underwood and get a little hot under the collar, when women who have worked for thirty years in the business, and who are amazing talents, barely get people to acknowledge them. I just feel it's all come way to easily for Carrie and she hasn't had to work for anything.

And that, in a nutshell, is why a lot of people don't like anything about American Idol.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 6:00 pm

Especially their peers!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 7:25 pm

Ok, I am a bit slow on the uptake here...but why does anyone think people care about what GB thinks about previous Idol contestants? What has he done to surpass or even equal any of them that gives him one iota of credibility? Shocked
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 8:18 pm

Oh, I think it's just gossip fodder, Luca. GB got asked because he was handy. Maybe he got asked because he does so much Idol commentary - not that this makes him an expert, but just that this makes him look like a guy who likes to comment on Idol, and might therefore answer the question.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 9:15 pm

You've got me curious now what magazine published that interview. Was it an Idol magazine?
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 11:38 pm

Quote :
Annie is amazing! I've seen her in concert a few times. She has won many awards and praise - but to be dumped like that by her label Terrible!

She was dumped by her label? Shocked

That is ten kinds of wrong! Thanks for joining me in my Annie love!!!

Abrahammy, I totally agree. It is the reason why many musicians in particular hate AI. Instant fame and a recording contract, followed by handfuls of grammy's. Meanwhile someone with 50 times the talent is toiling away in dive bars.

Clay is probably the only one who at least channelled his fame into humanitarian efforts.

They asked GB his opinion in the same way they ask stars on the red carpet what they think about something like J-Lo being pregnant with twins.

I think you're right, Abrahammy. He was probably just there and they seem to ask all Idol contestants what they think about past/present Idols as if they're going to say "oh, he/she totally sucks!"
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 11:59 pm

Quote :
Instant fame and a recording contract, followed by handfuls of grammy's. Meanwhile someone with 50 times the talent is toiling away in dive bars.

About the only argument I can offer them is this:

1. If AI did not exist, these super talented people would still be toiling away in dive bars. And at least, with AI, there's a chance that a talented singer/songwriter who can play his own instruments, who has been toiling in the dive bars for a decade, can get enough national recognition to make a sustainable career through AI. It's happened. The guy's name is Taylor Hicks. (I own the album he made before AI. He's really very good, when not contaminated by Clyde or forced to be a dancing monkey.)

2. If somebody who really isn't very talented becomes famous on American Idol, it isn't going to last very long. Right now the only AI luminaries who haven't suffered a career downturn are Daughtry and Carrie, and I think Daughtry's gonna find his heyday is already over.

I don't think most Idols are going to have long shelf lives, even if they win.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 12:08 am

No, I agree! That's why I said the ones I don't begrudge winning are the ones who had been toiling away in bands and playing in dive bars and just never got the recognition they deserve. Absolutely.

The other people I don't mind winning are the ones who may have families or are practically living on the street and AI makes their dreams come true.

It's the people like Carrie who never struggled and get everything handed to them that make me go a little crazy.

Quote :
2. If somebody who really isn't very talented becomes famous on American Idol, it isn't going to last very long. Right now the only AI luminaries who haven't suffered a career downturn are Daughtry and Carrie, and I think Daughtry's gonna find his heyday is already over.

THAT is an interesting assessment. I will be interested to see if you are right about Daughtry.

I also agree the winners have not fared well. Here's hoping they get people to invest their money before they spend it all.
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 12:29 pm

Quote :
So, I guess that's why I look at a Carrie Underwood and get a little hot under the collar, when women who have worked for thirty years in the business, and who are amazing talents, barely get people to acknowledge them.

I guess that old adage of "its who you know not what you know" works in this case, too!

I'm not a Carrie fan either. She has a good voice, although since the end of last year, I'm hearing strain being put on it.

People I know saw her a few weeks ago with Keith Urban. They told me she's come a long way since the Idol days in concert. They were pleased with her performance. I told them I'm glad they enjoyed it!

Quote :
I think Daughtry's gonna find his heyday is already over.

Does it matter? He's probably made enough money in the last few years that if he invests or socks it away wisely, he'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 1:15 pm

Yes GE, Annie was dumped by her label and not in a very respectful way. I will try to find the article I read.

I think Daughtry might have a few years left. I think if his next CD has good songs it will do well. By the 3rd CD - not sure. Chances are some new band will come along that everyone will be all excited about. Maybe David Cook's band! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 19 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Former Reality Show Contestants
Page 19 of 33Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26 ... 33  Next