Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Former Reality Show Contestants

Go down 
+8
mishmash
abrahammy
Badger
Sky
Luca
austin
frazzle
firecracker
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 26 ... 33  Next
AuthorMessage
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 1260
Registration date : 2007-04-06

Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 4:32 pm

Laughing I like your thoughts FC! Yes, maybe David Cook!
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 7:02 am

David Cook has a good shot at being a record seller from this season. He's grown a bit on me.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 9:06 am

OK, Con haters will want to skip this, but I found it interesting and I thought I would bring it here for the heck of it.
Quote :

3/19: Constantine Maroulis interview

By Rodney Ho

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

As we bide our time to see Kristy Lee Cook go home, here is a talk I
had with Constantine Maroulis, co-host of “Idol Extra” on Fox Reality
Channel, before last night’s performances. “I have been enjoying myself
thoroughly,” he said. “It’s great to see the old crew, see a lot of my
favorite faces.”

Constantine is one of the few former “Idols” who won’t pull punches
if he doesn’t like a singer. His take on some of the contestants:

David Archuleta: “I think he wins this thing. He’s supertalented.
He stumbled a bit last week but it made him more endearing and
humanized. He’s very young, very gifted. He knows how to intepret a
song. And he’s go that ethnic thing going. It’s just cool. He’s very
commercial and sweet. The little girls go crazy for him like the Jonas
Brothers.”

Brooke White: “She’s very gifted, an attractive singer songwriter.
Girls like her are the capital I to the T right now. Take Colby Caillat
or Sara Barielles. She’s got that cool Carly Simon thing going. She’s
married, very unaffected. She’s got a naturally beautiful voice. She
can play guitar and piano.”

Carly Smithson: “She’s the opposite. She should go all out Evanescence/Kelly Clarkson. She could be a big star.”

Michael Johns: “He should stick with that Maroon 5 vibe.” He’s not sure he can win. “He’s going to have to make some noise.”

David Cook: “He has the potential though not quite as big as
Daughtry. He’s more like Third Eye Blind-meets-Daughtry. I don’t know
if he’s as universally commercial as Daughtry. Daughtry has that
Nickelback generic band feel. I don’t know if David is quite liek that
He’s a little more artsy sprinkled in.”

Jason Castro: “He’s in the mix. He won’t win. He’s very young. But
there’s something real. I really liked his Beatles song [“If I Fell”].
That last note was a little pitched and sour. He ended a good
performance on a weird note. That kinds of takes away from it.”

Chikezie Eze: “He stepped it up [last week.] He certainly did smash
it. But I don’t think he’ll be around much longer. He’s a good
performer. But this is how I equate it: will you go pay to see a
Chikezie concert?”

Syesha Mercado: “She’s had a cool personality. She’s been laid
back. But she was annoying during Hollywood with those signs [she used
them because she had laryngitis.] That thing about being a working
actress. Annoying, too. And though she has a top-notch powerhouse
voice, it’s masturbatory. It’s just over the top. Lots of oversinging.”

Ramiele Malubay: “She’s pretty but she’s no star. This is the year with actual stars. She’s forgettable.”

Kristy Lee Cook: “I want to shake her. I hear a voice there. But
she doesn’t know how to use it. She’s pretty but she’s pretty stiff up
there, too. When I first heard ‘Eight Days a Week.’ I thought at first
it could be cool. But it then went down the toilet.”

As for his own career, he might return to “The Bold and the
Beautiful.” He’s pondering possible theater shows. “I won’t be going
anywhere anytime soon.” As for the haters, “A lot of people don’t
understand me. The people who know me well like me. Certain dudes I
rubbed the wrong way.”

He said he’s had a few breaks and a few unlucky breaks post “Idol.”
“The Idol machine didn’t fully embrace what I was doing post Idol but
I’ve proven to be a hustler and I do good work.” He has sold about
30,000 copies of his CD, of which most of it goes straight into his
pocket. He realizes he didn’t have that hot single off that CD like
another indie artist Elliott Yamin with “Wait For You.”

“I still plan on pursuing a recording career. I’d still like to be
Jon Bon Jovi or Freddie Mercury. I have something to say.” Jane, a big
Constantine fan, asked me to ask him if he was going to sing on “Idol
Extra.” He said the day they taped a bunch of “Idol” contestants
singing, he was out of town but he still might do something. He has no
plans to hit Atlanta anytime soon but he hopes to. He is enjoying
hosting and would like to perhaps do a variety show.

(One extra tidbit from Rodney's blog: He's been offered a play in Chicago, but he hasn't committed to it yet.)
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 11:25 am

This is what pisses me off about him. He is capable of being well-spoken and thoughtful but instead chooses to be an asshat. It's a CHOICE to be a sleazy jerk who goes on his own message boards and tells off his fans for merely being critical of his haircut.

He looks at himself in the mirror every day and says "I could be a classy intelligent guy or I can walk around with everyone thinking I'm an enormous tool." Then he smokes some weed and decides on TOOL.

If I thought he was just stoooooooooopid and wasn't raised right and didn't know any better, I'd have more sympathy for the behavior he exhibits. The fact that he could choose to be a human being, but doesn't act like one, is upsetting.
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 12:26 pm

I had seen that blog entry yesterday on other boards I go to. I thought it was a good interview. IMO - he gave some good commentary on the contestants and some interesting reflections on where he is at.

I think C's theater roots are a major part of him and they are starting to be seen more than we've seen since his Idol days.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 1:09 pm

Quote :

He looks at himself in the mirror every day and says "I could be a classy intelligent guy or I can walk around with everyone thinking I'm an enormous tool." Then he smokes some weed and decides on TOOL.

Well, I think there's some truth in that. Sometimes he's an interesting, well-spoken, talented guy and sometimes he's a jerk. There's a lot of unrealized potential in that guy and I keep hoping he'll grow up enough to seize it.

I think doing another play - which requires focus and discipline - would be very good for him, especially if he's working with talented, disciplined people.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 1:15 pm

You know, I was really hoping when he was knocked off that enormous high horse, when his fans dwindled down to but a few, when he was singing in clothing stores and calling out BINGO that some humility would creep in. That he'd learn to appreciate his fans and act like a mensch.

Instead he's appeared to amp up the asshole. As if he thinks that by acting like a big huge star, people won't notice he's not.

It really does frustrate me, because he can give a thoughtful interview. He has brains. He has classical training.

That he's chosen to do nothing with it is just so totally sad.

From what I hear, even when he was doing Rent, his fellow cast members weren't too happy with him.

I honestly think that unless he has a life-changing experience or some sort of epiphany, it doesn't matter whether he's in a play or calling BINGO or the biggest damn star in the world, he'll still choose to be an enormouss tool
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 7:23 pm

Jennifer Hudson Continues Big Screen Roles

Jennifer Hudson may have been voted off "American Idol" during the
third season, but that didn't stop her from taking Hollywood by storm.
She appeared in 2006's "Dreamgirls" as Effie White, winning an Academy
Award for Best Supporting Actress.

Hudson hasn't slowed down either, and she appears next on the big
screen as Carrie Bradshaw's assistant in "Sex and the City: The Movie."
The release date for the movie is May 30, the same month her debut
album is expected to drop.

Hudson, 26, beat out 800 candidates for the role of Effie in "Dreamgirls."

Her future acting projects includes the book adaptations of "Winged Creatures" and "The Secret Life of Bees."
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 10:28 pm

Yeah for Jennifer!!! cheers Elton John sure called that one!

Just have to get in on this:

Abrahammy wrote:
Quote :
I think there's some truth in that. Sometimes he's an interesting, well-spoken, talented guy and sometimes he's a jerk. There's a lot of unrealized potential in that guy and I keep hoping he'll grow up enough to seize it.
He is what 32-33 years old now? Either he is a very late bloomer or all the excuses in the world can't hide the fact that dood is a tool that will still be acting like a spoiled 16 year old when he is 40. Bet he won't be married by then either. No Did Athan ever tie the knot? Shocked

All the theater experience in the world is a bit of a moot point now I'm afraid. 32-33 years old as a new comer is ancient. He is competing with top notch, hard working, talent that are 10 years younger and have had tons of Broadway experience. If he had knocked everyone dead with his
skills in the shows he has been in it would be one thing....but he did'nt.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 12:05 am

Quote :
Bet he won't be married by then either. No
\\
Oh, good lord no. I think that would be a terrible idea.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 1:24 am

Constantine does not count as a theater person in my book.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 12:22 am

Quote :
That's because he's never put his heart and soul into any endeavor. He merely skims the surface of everything he does.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 6:45 am

From what I remember Abrahammy thought he did very well in Brel. I never saw him in anything in person. I remember some old video where he was in JCS and he seemed to do pretty good in that. Some clips I saw of The Wedding Singer seemed pretty, well bad. But that could have been because the play looked rather silly. I LOVED the movie though Very Happy
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 6:55 am

I did enjoy him in Brel, and that was not superficial material. There was a moment in "Statue" that I think he should be very proud of; I forgot he was there, and I was just teary about the dead soldier.

He's got it in him. That doesn't mean he always chooses to work as hard as he can to bring it out, but he's got it in him.
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 7:44 am

Green Eyez wrote:
Quote :
That's because he's never put his heart and soul into any endeavor. He merely skims the surface of everything he does.

I will have to disagree with both of you on this point. I think the theater is the base of Constantine.

I watched him grow into both of the roles he played in TWS and Jacques Brel. I use the word "grow" because he was tossed into the mix of both shows that had been running with experienced casts that had been doing the show for a number of months. He had 2 weeks of rehearsals to prepare for each one of those. His theater abilities showed forth very evidently with that amount of time to get ready. Compare that to Fantasia and Clay who were given 2 -3 months of preparation. Not trying to put them down, just showing a comparison here.

I saw him do TWS the weekend after he opened in the show. He didn't a single beat. And he played the character exactly the way I would have wanted to see. I saw clips of the guy who did the part previously and he couldn't hold a candle to the way Con did the role. In fact, the show revised the big singing number, Single, that Con's character did to include more singing from him.

I saw him on his opening night at JB, and he was working his butt off to stay up with the cast. He did fine for the first half, but you could actually see him lagging in the last few parts of the second half. His singing wasn't lagging, it was his movement on stage because a lot of physical movement happens towards the end of that show.

And understandably so, it was his first time doing the whole show with the entire cast. There were no full cast walk throughs for him. I went to the next day's show, and the difference between the night before and that day was astronomical. He must have worked that next morning to get things up to speed. In fact, one time I heard him say he was late coming out after the show ended because he had to go over the director's notes about his performance. So I know he continued to work on the role the entire time he was there.

I saw JB with him in it a number of times over the 6 weeks he was there. Each time, he brought in something new to the roles. I'd say about 3 weeks into the show he was 100% there.

The cast there liked him. And I understand the TWS cast also liked him. And I have that from some sources that were involved with the show.

And before anyone asks, yes, I went to see TWS and JB a number of times!!! I admit it....I had a blast. jocolor

Last edited by Lau on Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:30 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 7:49 am

I'm glad you got to see the shows several times and had a blast! That's a good part of what life is about! Sadly, I cannot go see Clay on Broadway so I am very happy for the people who get to go see shows with actors they like and have a good time!
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 7:52 am

I do wish you could see Clay in Spamalot, FC. And I understand why his fans go back many times to see him in it.

I've done that a few times for various shows I've loved on Bway besides the ones that had Constantine in it.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 7:59 am

I'd be happy to see him in it once! Heck, I'd be thrilled with a DVD of his performance! Razz But, I am just happy to hear he is doing so well in the play and making lots of new friends!
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 8:02 am

Lau, that is interesting you were really that impressed with Constantine on stage. I knew he held his own in some of the roles he did, but did not know that he did as well as you describe. I remember hearing good reviews from his fans, but not so much on the Brel sites from people who were not Constantine fans. I realize some of them were biased against him because of who he replaced in Brel, and also his credibility issues because he was on AI, but I also recall that he did not get glowing reviews from critics....but, could be mistaken about that. Selective and senior memory is kicking in.

I wonder why no one else on Broadway has given him a chance based on his abilities.
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 8:18 am

Luca, you bring up a very good point about the critics with Constantine's performances.

Since he was only one person put into a show that was already running, and he wasn't a lead, he really didn't get a big formal review in TWS. That is typical when new people are put into BW shows. Again, if a lead changes. like in Fantasia's case, then some reviews might be done.

He did get several on JB. The first two were only okay, but the final one I saw was quite good.

Quote :
I wonder why no one else on Broadway has given him a chance based on his abilities.

I think it has everything to do with the opportunities that are available. He was signed to go out on a "Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat" (I think I got the full title right !!! ) tour that was going to run for about 6 months throughout the country. It was an equity tour and all. There was info from some insiders on the broadway world boards that he had the role and auditions were going to take place to fill other roles. We started posted about it on GS - he came on to let us know that the tour makers had to pull it as they were getting feedback from their locations that they were concerned it was running too close to when the last Joseph Tour had taken place. So that knocked about 4 -6 months out of his schedule for doing other things.

He is involved with a play right now. I saw him do a reading of it a few weeks ago. The play is really good. It's not a musical, its a straight play. But so far there are no plans for it to appear anywhere - yet. I can tell you that if this play does occur, and if he does a good job in the part, he will get good reviews then, because this is a wonderful part. The character's role has a few very interesting spins on it that will totally surprise people.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 8:36 am

Keep us up to date on what happens with the play Lau!
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 11:10 am

I would like to clarify my statement. I think, like many of you, GB has flashes of brilliance. If he so chooses, he can put his heart and soul into a particular performance and blow you out of the water.

What frazz and I are talking about, when she says she doesn't consider him a "theater person" and I said he was only skimming the surface, is that he doesn't put his heart and soul into THEATER or he doesn't put his heart and soul into his RECORDING CAREER. Or he doesn't put his heart and soul into his ACTING CAREER.

He flits from one thing to the other, whenever the whimsy hits him, never devoting himself to any one career. Really throwing himself into anything.

Real theater people would laugh in his face. He treats it like a part-time job.
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 11:51 am

Quote :
He flits from one thing to the other, whenever the whimsy hits him, never devoting himself to any one career. Really throwing himself into anything.

No, I cannot agree with this at all. He may have a lot of irons in the fire, but many, many people in the theater do that in order to pay the bills.

Quote :
Real theater people would laugh in his face. He treats it like a part-time job.

Not true. He has worked with real theater people and I have never heard of that occuring. Perhaps its your opinion, GE, but the time that a performer needs to put into a show to have it come out right speaks the opposite to me.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 1:15 pm

That is exactly right about having to do various things to pay the bills. I used to watch this show on Bravo that followed the lives of young people trying to break into show business. They would go from plays, commercials, one day soap gigs, absolutely anything to not only get their careers going but to pay the rent. One girl had won a tony award when she was younger and still struggled to get work on Broadway. Broke my heart because I remembered watching her win her tony when she was a kid and she was so talented and yet I was stunned to see how she struggled to even get readings.

You know Clay wants to do lots of things besides singing/recording. That is why he is doing Spamalot and did Scrubs and he wants a talk show someday.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 1:24 pm

OK, I'm still not making myself clear. Perhaps Frazz can explain it better, since she is an actress and knows actual theater people.

I agree that, say, if someone wants to be an actor, he/she may be a waiter/waitress, but they take classes, hone their craft, go on every audition they can, hustle their asses off.

Let me put it this way: I have a friend who kept taking classes and learning things she thought she was interested in. She came out of each class possibly knowing more than the teacher. She can make jewelry you wouldn't believe. She even liked to make it. She would sell to a few people and even did a farmer's market, but never truly devoted herself to selling her jewelry and doing everything she could with her talent.

She learned many things that she would use to pay the bills, but never COMMITTED to anything. She was/is exceptionally talented.

Now she has finally found something she loves. She's putting in the hours. She's giving it the time and really truly going for it. She goes out on a limb for it. She's risking other things to go for this goal, because she's decided this is what she wants to do.

I do not see GB sacrificing for his craft. I do not see a man who's really truly giving his all to anything. That he's using theater "as a job" or acting "as a job" or singing "as a job" is exactly what I'm saying! I don't feel he's devoted to anything, but merely uses his talent to pay the bills.

Quote :
That is exactly right about having to do various things to pay the bills. I used to watch this show on Bravo that followed the lives of young people trying to break into show business. They would go from plays, commercials, one day soap gigs, absolutely anything to not only get their careers going but to pay the rent. One girl had won a tony award when she was younger and still struggled to get work on Broadway. Broke my heart because I remembered watching her win her tony when she was a kid and she was so talented and yet I was stunned to see how she struggled to even get readings.

This? Is what I'm talking about. I do not feel he is one of these people who's "struggling" and desperately wants to make it and really strive for it because the passion is inside him and he would practically live on the street for his craft.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 20 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Former Reality Show Contestants
Page 20 of 33Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 26 ... 33  Next