Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Former Reality Show Contestants

Go down 
+8
mishmash
abrahammy
Badger
Sky
Luca
austin
frazzle
firecracker
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18 ... 33  Next
AuthorMessage
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2007 9:10 am

Michael Slezak at EW.com

Snap judgment: Blake Lewis' 'Break Anotha'

Quote :
Every time I get wind that a debut single from an American Idol alumni has hit the radio, I go into the emotional fetal position. And who can blame me? From "Over It" to "Sorry 2004" to "The Real Thing," I'm often left feeling like the Idol Machine saddles its alumni with songs so insipid and unexciting, they're almost predestined to fail on the pop charts.

So perhaps it's in that context that I'm so totally jazzed by Blake Lewis' dizzyingly catchy (if somewhat unfortunately titled) new single, "Break Anotha." But then again, maybe not. After several listens, "Break Anotha," with its opening blast of sirens and its hiccup-y beats, sounds like it could easily hold its own on Billboard's Hot 100. In other words, it's not just a "good for an Idol graduate" kind of single, but instead the kind of track I'd spend money to download. Oddly, Blake's falsetto and the flurry of strings on the bridge is slightly reminiscent of J.Lo's "Do It Well," but his voice sounds nonetheless confident and radio-ready throughout. And Blake's lyrical word of caution ("So desperate/Be your best friend/Sign you up just to cross you off his checklist") about a chronic womanizer — complete with a breakdown that suggests that he might, in fact, be the cad in question — is a refreshing change of pace from "moment like this" goo.

Would it be blasphemous to suggest Blake might be the slightly less sexually-threatening answer to Justin Timberlake? 'Cause seriously, "Break Anotha" sounds like a big hit to me. How 'bout you?
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 11:02 am

I am bringing over this review because it is similair to the one she got in Chicago. I wonder what is up with Kelly? Where her head is really at right now. I think she may be really disappointed about her lastest CD being both a critical and sales failure. Certainly a failure compare to "Breakaway". Since she wrote most of the songs it has to sting a little. The last comment by the review makes me sad. Looks like the media has decided it is time to turn on Kelly like they did on Clay. Wonder when it will be Carrie's turn?

Quote :
Concert review from the Star-Tribune:

Clarkson more idle than 'Idol'

In concert Friday at the State Theatre in Minneapolis, Clarkson, 25, managed to unify her conflicting urges into a concise 75-minute program that pleased a near-capacity crowd, but the singer herself seemed more and more detached as the evening progressed.

The Texas native and her seven-member band front-loaded the show with new rock numbers like "One Minute" and "Never Again," as if to get them out of the way. When she brought the energy and volume down a notch for the nakedly personal "Maybe," it was refreshing to actually hear her voice clearly and be reminded of its raw power.

Slow numbers are clearly her strength, but fans may disagree. Her hardest rocking song, "Hole," brought a noticeable lift to the crowd. Then she peaked on an ensuing quiet, three-song set: a piano-and-vocal rendition of her smash "Because of You," Patty Griffin's stirring "Up to the Mountain (MLK Song)" and a lovely version of "Be Still" with an unplugged full band.

Clarkson then closed with a half-hour of marginal new songs from the slow-selling "My December" and old favorites from her 2004 blockbuster "Breakaway" album, but she seemed increasingly bored. Her only real stage move all night was to occasionally Pogo for about five seconds before stopping to rest. Much of the time she merely walked through her set, seemingly dazed and distant.

One of the few times Clarkson became animated was when she rolled out a statue of a Chivas Regal bottle that fans had made for her in honor of her bluesy tune about the Scotch whisky on "My December." Before rendering "Chivas," she eagerly took a few swigs from an airline-size bottle of booze. (Clarkson told the audience, which was noticeably older than the crowd she drew in 2005 at the same theatre, that she does not condone underage drinking. Nice.)

In all, it was a strange and perhaps revealing moment: Clarkson seemed to become tipsy and she muffed the start of the next and final number, her signature "Since U Been Gone." It seemed a fitting snapshot for a falling "Idol."
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 1260
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 12:43 pm

I bought Bo Bice's new cd today. I must say it is really good and it is BO! Yay, that he finally made the CD HE wanted to record. It is more country, bluesy, rock music, and so it's not MY music of choice. I'm glad I bought it, to support Bo and listen to some good music.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 1:00 pm

That is great that you got it Sky!

That is the problem for me, I am not into that whole Southern Fried Rock thing that Bo does. But he is good at it and deserves success!
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 1:15 pm

While the music is very good..............it's not what I normally listen to either. I just had to buy it in support of Bo. Wink
Back to top Go down
Badger

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2007 9:44 pm

I hope to buy it some time this week. I actually do like Southern rock.

As for Kelly, the drinking on stage thing makes me roll my eyes. I guess she figures it makes her seem like Janis or something.
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

Number of posts : 502

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 5:46 am

I haven't heard it (I tried to hear one song, but I never got it to work), but here's an Austin review of Blake's CD:

Blake’s new single: Guaranteed to make your ears bleed

By Gary Dinges | Thursday, November 1, 2007, 10:48 PM

Season 6 finalists Blake Lewis and Jordin Sparks are back in the headlines.

Yawn.

Hey, we don’t make the news … we just report it.

First up: Blake. He’s offering a sneak preview of his debut single on AOL’s Popeater blog.

Our one-word review: Garbage. Go ahead, listen to it. We’re certain you’ll agree.

In fact, it’s so bad it makes Jordin’s freshman offering — which disappeared from the radio airwaves within days of its release — seem like a masterpiece.

Looking for a Christmas gag gift? You can pick up Blake’s new album Dec. 4.

HARSH!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/austin_ambrosia
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 5:54 am

Honestly Austin, most music critics rip Idols. I hardly ever see good reviews for them. There are some, but most of them get slammed. FWIW I have also read some reviews that like his single. I haven't heard it yet. I like Blake just fine, but from his description of his CD I do not think it will be my cup of tea.

Also, Jordin's Tattoo has done pretty well on the charts, so I do not know what this guy was smoking other than "Yuck, Idols!"
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 10:15 am

I think there is a great deal of resentment surrounding the Idols - the idea that they are second rate talents who only got exposure because of a TV show that basically reveals how little real talent is out there. The attitude is that truly deserving people make it on their own.

Add in that Blake's not that good a vocalist, and we have a problem, even if the song is catchy and the arrangement is good. (Note: I have no interest in any of these people and I don't know what it sounds like.)
Back to top Go down
austin

austin

Number of posts : 502

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 1:22 pm

I never got it work because I don't have the "X" plug-in or whatever and I'm sure DH doesn't want me to download it.

Being completely honest, I have never had any interest in any Idols but C, Kelly, Clay (a little bit), Bo (a little bit), and Elliott. But I haven't had enough interest to actually buy any of their CDs, except for you know who.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/austin_ambrosia
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 2:49 pm

I know a lot of people also complain that the show rewards singing that's more about who can sing the longest and loudest and highest note than anything else. That's unless you're Kelly, Fantasia or Jennifer Hudson. Then you can shriek to your heart's content.

What did you all think about the article that they plan to let contestants play musical instruments during the Hollywood round and possibly afterwards too? Or that they are thinking of combining the AI tour with the "So You Think You Can Dance" tour next year?
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 3:08 pm

I think it is great to let the contestants play their instruments and show all their real talents. It will put some who only sing at a disadvantage though. I think letting them sing originals would be great too! On Nashville Star they got to play instruments and sing their own songs. I have to admit one of my fave things about Taylor was when he played his harmonica. LOVED that!

I LOVE SYTYCD so if they team the dancers with a good top 10 then that would be one heck of a good show! I know I read that the season 6 AI tour sales were terrible and I know sales for SYTYCD have been great so why not?
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 3:41 pm

Have you watched "The Next Great American Band"? Each band/with singer does an original song and then a cover song. There is a group of 12 and 13 yr. old boys that show a lot of promise. I don't think they will win but their singer has one heck of a voice. The group "Six Wire" is looking like they might win. They are country, which isn't my taste in music, but they are really good.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 4:06 pm

I haven't seen that show yet. I should watch just so I can look at the guy from The Goo Goo Dolls! Razz Sadly, it is on when I watch something else and I just never remember to tape it.
Back to top Go down
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 5:48 pm

They don't "get" to play instruments or sing their own songs on Nashville Star. That's one of the requirements of being on the show - you must be a songwriter. It's odd that they have yet to have a true breakout star emerge from the show. I guess Miranda Lambert is the closest thing.

I like the bluegrass band myself although I doubt they'll win. I hope that girl group gets sent home. As a band, they're okay but their singer can't sing. And running around the stage in eensy weensy minis is only going to get you so far.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 5:55 pm

Yes, Miranda is doing well! She was my pick the first season - right up there with Buddy Jewel who won. I know Buddy had pretty good success with the first CD he did and then it was like he just disappeared Shocked It took a few years, but Miranda finally made it.
Back to top Go down
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 8:51 pm

Did you know the Nashville Star winners usually have their CDs out within 2 or 3 weeks after the show ends?
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 9:59 pm

BINGO CALLING???!!!!

CONSTANTINE IS CALLING BINGO???!!!

OK, just shoot me. What an idiot. affraid Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 10:24 pm

Quote :
BINGO CALLING???!!!!

CONSTANTINE IS CALLING BINGO???!!!

OK, just shoot me. What an idiot.
Shocked
lol! Where at? At some celeb benefit or worse?
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 11:19 pm

Abrahamy, at first I didn't know what the heck you meant............then I read Luca's and it dawned on me. You're serious??? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 11:30 pm

This? Is so awesome I could weep.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 12:49 am

Quote :
You're serious??? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yep. From soap to Bingo in three months. Shocked And GSers are over there talking about how it's a common kind of gig for minor celebrities.

I think... the "El Camino" may be completely out of gas. That's really pretty damned pathetic and I'm not gonna sugar coat it. I will be pleasant and agreeable about anything he does that is generally about singing or reciting lines, either in a play or on TV, but calling Bingo is not in my realm of respected activities in any way.

That appearance fee had better be pretty damned big.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 1:13 am

Bingo calling? I no longer go to any sites about him, and don't want to, but I am giggling madly.
Please, somebody explain the circumstances.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 6:19 am

Are y'all kidding??
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 6:34 am

I can see it now:

Call a number - Hair flip

Call a number - stick out tongue

Call a number - head down, eyes up

Call a number - rockhands

Someone yells BINGO - Double rockhands!!

He will be the most amazing Bingo caller EVER!! Squee!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Former Reality Show Contestants   Former Reality Show Contestants - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Former Reality Show Contestants
Page 4 of 33Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18 ... 33  Next