Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chitchat

Go down 
+6
Luca
firecracker
aerwin
frazzle
Green Eyez
Sky
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 8:03 pm

I've been reading about the "rolling" going on for a long time. Being in Illinois I have only felt one very quick quake. Glad this one was no biggie for you guys.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 1260
Registration date : 2007-04-06

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 8:20 pm

I tell you, when you are in your house during an earthquake and you see the walls moving and swaying and you hear the creaks and moans, it's very scary.

I have heard recently that instead of a doorway or under a table you should lay down along side of a large heavy piece of furniture (bed, sofa), protecting your head. If the roof or wall should come down, that big piece of furniture will not collapse like a simple wooden table would.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 8:25 pm

The Northridge earthquake in the early 90's was absolutely terrifying. A zillion times worse than today's.

I think that is why we are being sort of blase.

The good news about today for Californians, is that we got reminded to keep our earthquake emergency packs replenished and updated.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 8:33 pm

The one from the 90s - is that the one that happened during some big baseball game? I remember something about an game between the As and San Fran and a big quake.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 8:42 pm

Naw. The big one in the 90's happened at 3 a.m. Of course, insomiac me was up. I was working a regular job, but the next day was MLK day, so we had it off. I had just gotten finished watching an Alfred Hitchcock where someone said "it's earthquake weather" and apparently my favorite radio station had just played "it's the end of the world as we know it" by REM. Oddly enough, I was dogsitting way before it became something I did on a regular basis. A favor for a friend of my mom's. My poor ex NY roomie had never experienced one before and she freaked out beyond imagination. Right after that I got a cel phone. One of the first ones that weighed 5 pounds.

We're very blase here once we realize it's small. We just kind of talk about it throughout the day and everything is business as usual. As a matter of fact, I remember after the Northridge quake I couldn't wait to get back to work and start doing things normally. I'm a big believer in not sitting and listening to reports all day and worrying yourself to death.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 8:52 pm

OK, the one I am thinking of was the 1989 San Fran quake that happened October 18th. That was probably a play-off game then on that date.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 9:09 pm

Here is a write-up on the Ortho hand surgeon Justin and I are meeting with tomorrow. I am quite impressed! I am really looking forward to this meeting tomorrow and anxious to find out what he has to say. After reading both this doctor and the younger doctor's (Atkins) write-up I am pleased that we ended up with this doctor. If I was going to pick based on what I read, this is the doctor I would have picked! Wish us luck tomorrow!

http://www.fvortho.com/physicians/physicianDisplay.asp?ID=9
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 9:24 pm

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 11:31 pm

Chitchat - Page 14 Goodluckbear
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 6:19 am

Thanks ladies! I will let you this evening how it went. Hope you all have a great day!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 6:55 am

Aerwin, best of luck today at the Hematologist! We are with you in spirit helping to keep you strong! I love you
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Number of posts : 716

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 8:04 am

Thank you! I will need all good thoughts and prayers, My Xray came back clear. Hopefully this Dr. will have some idea as to what is up. Hope your son has a good report FC.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 8:13 am

Thanks!

I am so glad your X-Ray was clear! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 2:15 pm

Good news Aerwin, but I'm hoping they figure out what's going on soon. FC, I'm hoping for good news on your son too.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping it doesn't rain here. My son is up here from AZ to ride in the RAMROD Bike Ride. That stands for Ride Around Mount Rainier in One Day. It's about 150 miles and he's not looking forward to riding in the rain. The last two days have been cloudy and drizzly so hopefully tomorrow the clouds will break and we'll see some sunshine.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 6:51 pm

I'll pray to the sun gods for your son Sky sunny Hope he has a great time!

Well, things went a little different today than I thought they would. The Doctor agrees that it is Ulnar Nerve Entrapment, however - a 17 year old should not have it and he shouldn't have gotten it from woodworking. He has never ever seen this in someone this young. In fact with the amount of muscle loss he feels it has been going on for awhile, just not enough for Justin to notice until the woodworking exacerbated it.

He thinks that Justin has a nerve condition. He used the word "serious". He wants Justin to see a Neurologist and have some tests run - starting with an EMG (testing to see what kind of activity there is from the brain to the muscles). He wants him to be seen right away. He will be seeing the same neurologist that Eric saw for his sleeping issues.

I have talked to the doctor's office and they will get back to me as to when they can get Justin in - since they officially have no appointments available until September 9th Shocked and the ortho said we cannot wait that long. So the neuro is going to talk to the ortho tomorrow and get back to me with an appointment.

My husband has neuropathy and that is a nerve condition. The ortho thinks that makes Justin "predisposed" to "sensitive nerves".

He did not want to go any further with my questions (I think he knew I was getting worked up) because until the tests are run we don't know exactly what we are dealing with yet.

Justin may need surgery to correct the nerve. He does want to see what the neuro says first and to see if things improve at all on their own. Like when my husband gets "drop foot" from his neuropathy - after a few weeks to a few months it clears up.

But, we still need to know why it happened.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 10:46 pm

OK, I thought this was interesting. I mean, yeah, the cost is prohibitive for us average Joe's, but that is common with new technology. I'm curious what this will morph into.

Turn Your Car Into a Hybrid
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 10:57 pm

I, personally, am really trying to will myself into accelerated levitation to get me around with no vehicle at all.

So far it is not working, but it is free.

If I had $10,000 I would buy a used hybrid.

I do hope that AMERICA finally really does make some enormously fuel efficient and affordable cars.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 11:00 pm

Quote :
I, personally, am really trying to will myself into accelerated levitation to get me around with no vehicle at all
Perhaps if we both put our energy into this, it'll happen. I find this the most pleasing of all...until I can afford a hard-top convertible - hybrid, of course.
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 11:47 am

Ok the Hematologist can find nothing wrong with my blood work. SO Thank God we have eliminated all the bad stuff. So now it is just down to figuring it out. He said it could be strep , allergies , lyme disease a myriad of possibilties. I reall do need Dr . House. Very Happy So IF I am not better by Mon. I go back to be tested for lyme and strep. But I went back to running today . He said I could. That makes a huge difference in my nerves. Seriously.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 12:00 pm

I am so happy for you Aerwin! cheers

I assume they did a strep test early on and think maybe you got a false negative? Eric was a strep carrier and just could never get rid of strep. He would seem better for a long while after the meds., and then the symptoms would come back. They took his tonsils out when he was 6 and he never got strep again! Maybe you are a carrier now too and will need your tonsils out! Lots of Popsicles for you!
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 12:09 pm

Who Knows??? I guess we may know or we may never know. I am just SO RELIEVED to have all the bad stuff eliminated. .

Fri. my SIL is coming . I really like her but her husband is another story. Put night and day in a room and that would be him and me. He is CONSTANTLY making homophobic remarks which infuriates me! Plus all he will eat is meat and corn no GREENS, no veggies. I don't know if my nerves can take it. plus how did she end up with him??? I hope the Karma Police does not get me for getting angry with him. He is the most narrow monded person I've ever met.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 1:26 pm

I am relieved for you! That is why I want Justin's testing over soon. It is the not knowing than wears you down.

Good luck with the in-laws! I guess I got lucky there. I have no siblings. Hubby only has one brother and he is not married. When he comes to town he stays with my MIL in the in-law apartment off the side of our house. This way no in-laws are ever IN my actual house to stay. I bet that can really be upsetting if you don't get along.

Just meat and corn? Shocked How boring!

Yes, it would be tough to deal with all the homophobic remarks Evil or Very Mad Be strong! Bite down on something! Or, smack him upside the head!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
aerwin

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 2:08 pm

Well I guess actually he is my husbands Brother In Law , not mine! Twisted Evil Sheesh, it is so hard for me to bite me tongue and most of the time I don't.
Yeah when all of your son's testing is over it will be a relief. I hope for the best. I truly believe so many people's good thoughts and prayers pulled me through.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 2:17 pm

Thanks! I believe that too! The power of the love of people!
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 11:31 pm

I am thrilled with everyone's good news so far.

Thanks for the positive thoughts for sunny skies, because we got them. The rain held off until tonight. My son really enjoyed the ride, but said it was a hard one. I can't imagine riding on a bike for over 150 miles!!!! While he was doing that, we all went (DIL and 2 GK) to Northwest Trek. It's a wildlife park that you take a tram ride through and view local wildlife in their natural habitat. The kids enjoyed it as well as we did. When my son was near finishing, we headed over to pick him up and cheer him through the finish line.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chitchat - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chitchat   Chitchat - Page 14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chitchat
Page 14 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17 ... 21  Next