Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

American Idol

Go down 
+7
aerwin
Lau
Sky
frazzle
Luca
abrahammy
firecracker
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426
Registration date : 2007-04-04

American Idol - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 11:25 pm

That person did not do the homework:

Quote :
Then last week happened. Jason Castro, after continually being beaten down by the show, seemed to quit trying and just phoned his performance in. No one could blame him after being forced to sing Memory from Cats and receiving a critique from Paula Abdul before he even sang the song. Voters didn’t have a choice but to vote him out after that.

Even Andrew Lloyd Weber tried to talk him out of doing Memory. Memory was absolutely Jason's choice. Jason got treated very badly, overall, but that article doesn't get the facts straight.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 6:17 am

I think that article basically suggests that everything would have been a lot better if the author's favorite singers had stayed. I did not know that there was a huge public outcry and turnoff at the epic elimination of Chickeze.

The author was intuitively right that Jason's decline began with Memory; I would like to suggest that being forced to sing a theme so far out of his roundhouse, about which he knew so little, and which is so irrelevant to any of them in terms of future sales and marketability, was a bad choice. Very few people were really good that night. It probably didn't help that Jason was so sick he could barely stand up.

I guess he thought he could Jasonize it. While I am an old theatre buff and I didn't care for that version, some people, including Jessica Shaw, thought he actually did bring a new interpretation to the song. I don't know what my reaction would have been if I hadn't ever seen Cats.

I still maintain that Carly's song choice killed her by upsetting her audience, and I don't think either she or Michael went home because of Producer manipulation. The comment that Jason got beaten down by the show, and that this was very bad for the show, is valid. I think an F3 featuring the three rested top men, who wanted to be there, and all thought they stood a chance in hell, would have generated far more public support then an F3 with a woman who had no visible fan base and was clearly cannon fodder.

I personally would have been happier with an F4 that replaced Syesha with Carly. Hey, if he's going to get dismantled, let it be in favor of the best.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 7:15 am

For the first time ever the final 2 are contestants that never hit the seal. Neither of them. Every other season one if the final two had been in the bottom. They are and have been the most popular for most of the season. I think it is right that these are the final 2 - in that sense. Archie would not be my choice to be with DC, but he has clearly been loved by a zillion young folks.

I think anytime the writer's choice doesn't make it as far as the writer would like you get these stories. It is not just a singing competition and we all know that. These contestants have to have something that grabs people in a way that they will vote for them for hours and be totally dedicated to them. Clearly Archie was able to do that with the young ones, and he does have a beautiful voice. I know from reading tons of boards that Carly just never totally clicked with a lot of people. Hey, I liked her - but I never voted for her. I liked MJ, but I never voted for him. I loved Brooke - never voted. I have only devoted my votes to one contestant - DC. I did throw a few Jason's way to try to help save him - but that was more for Sky, GE and Abrahammy. Most people will only vote for their very fave one, or are like my mom and love somebody but not vote. She only voted for Clay and Taylor out of all the seasons and all the people she liked - those two were they only ones she felt strongly enough to vote for. I know lots of people like that. Yet, they will be mad if someone they like gets the boot. In my RL most everyone I know who watches - does not vote. Some even find it amusing that I spend the whole two hours trying to get votes in for my fave. So it really comes down to the contestants who have something about them that gets people willing to devote those hours to them.

So it takes more than being a good singer to stay on this show. Large numbers of people have to be dedicated to keeping you on. So that is why good singers leave. All top 12 can be excellent singers, but all top 12 are not going to get huge devoted fanbases.

I agree wholeheartedly that the themes are pathetic (along with the stupid coronation songs) and that is what should be changed about the show. Or at least have themes that have them singing current songs or songs that are even remotely something that people would actually want to hear on the radio! DC has done a wonderful job of making the themes work for him and making old songs new again and something that could actually be hits today. That is what got him to final 2.

The 30 mins. result show is one step in the right direction, though I do enjoy some of the group numbers and seeing the guest stars, but I think dumping the themes would be the better way to go. Let the kids sing what they want, play their instruments and maybe even perform their own material. Show all their talent and show what type of record they would make. AND let them make THAT kind of record.

Abrahammy, when you consider that AI always comes down to singers with powerful voices it really is great that Jason made it as far as he did and proves he has something special about him that appealed to so many. I also would have preferred Carly or Brooke to outlast Syesha, but she did make some good song choices for a few weeks there. I still am shocked that people held JCS against Carly. I just do not get that No
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 8:47 am

People have kneejerk reactions to things, Firecracker. Carly did not really have a strong fanbase like the big three boys did. She lived and died by the casual vote, and I am thinking that, in a bad week where few people sang well, those casual voters who bothered to vote at all probably went in favor of the last good performance of the day - David Cook's. Carly had one of the best performances that night, but even folks who do not really wish Carly ill might be sufficiently turned off by these words not to vote for her.

Every time I look at you
I don't understand
Why you let the things you did
Get so out of hand
You'd have managed better
If you'd had it planned
Now why'd you choose such a backward time
And such a strange land?

Jesus Christ
Jesus Christ
Who are you? What have you sacrificed?

Jesus Christ
Superstar
Do you think you're what they say you are?

By the way, I found an old Newsweek article that just lays the judge manipulation of the franchise completely bare.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 1260
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 8:58 am

frazzle wrote:
That person did not do the homework:

Quote :
Then last week happened. Jason Castro, after continually being beaten down by the show, seemed to quit trying and just phoned his performance in. No one could blame him after being forced to sing Memory from Cats and receiving a critique from Paula Abdul before he even sang the song. Voters didn’t have a choice but to vote him out after that.

Even Andrew Lloyd Weber tried to talk him out of doing Memory. Memory was absolutely Jason's choice. Jason got treated very badly, overall, but that article doesn't get the facts straight.

And....if anyone would listen to his recording of Memory, they would know he sings it beautifully!!!!!!!! One of my favorite songs he did.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 11:25 am

A few pics of Jason with his girlfriend Mandy.

American Idol - Page 5 American_idol_5136252

American Idol - Page 5 American_idol_5136263

American Idol - Page 5 American_idol_5136264
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 11:53 am

Aw, they look super cute and happy! Very Happy

I am bringing this info over from The Clack House who got it from TWOP who got it from MJ's! Laughing

Bringing this over from TWoP:

Quote :
Lisa at MJ's is reporting that when Nigel was on Ryan's morning show today, he revealed that each David will get to pick which Coronation Song they want to sing. Yessss!!! There are some half-decent songs on the list that DC could work with.

Dear God in Heaven let this be true so that Cookie doesn't have to sing that god awful song!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 1:40 pm

A few things:

- Each David does indeed get to choose his own coronation song. That's a good idea. They should have done that years ago.

- Jason has an interesting new interview up. http://www.latina.com/entertainment/tv/qa-american-idols-jason-castro

- Every person in the F5 gets to do a duet with a star on the finale.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 1:57 pm

Yes, I read that they got to pick from the top 10 vote getters of the 20 songs. Everyone must have really hated the one that got the most votes Razz I know Archie's fans were purposely voting for the one they thought DC would not be able to "Cookify". Guess it back fired on them Twisted Evil

Off to read Jason's new interview!

ETA: Ugh, I simply hate when people use the word "retarded" like that. For someone who is suppose to be so intelligent that is a real turn off. You know, 7 years of top 32 (the first two or three years) and top 24 were able to learn the songs and many preformed them extremely well. I don't agree with his implication that all the others didn't care about connecting to the songs like he did. Some of that interview bugged me - it came across like he thinks he is more of an artist than they are or something. That might not be what he meant, but that is how it felt reading it.

Every season the top 2 have to learn 3 songs while rehearsing for all the group numbers and duets for the big 2 hour finale. And every year they have succeeded. It is called hard work and dedication and professionalism. Perhaps Jason just is not competitive enough, or hungry enough for it, or disciplined enough for the work that was involved. I just do not think AI was the right competition for him.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 6:16 pm

Per Fox News:

Song spoiler for DC - U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I am Looking For"

Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!! So exciting! Isn't that the first U2 song on AI? That's what someone else said. I think he should do really well with that song.

Sadly, it turns out Adam is too ill to go after all Crying or Very sad His wife says it is just one day at time now. Boy, I know how that is. Hopefully Adam can hang in there and see his brother at the finale on Weds. via TV.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 6:51 pm

I love U2.........David will do great with that song!

That's so sad about his brother. I hope he makes it through Wednesday so he can enjoy his brother's WIN!!! I'll have him in my prayers.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 7:17 pm

I know. It is heartbreaking. What a position for his parents. One son on the brink of an amazing future and another whose life is about to end. I cannot even imagine what it is like for them. David has so much pressure on him right now. Having to prepare for two nights of shows while worrying about his brother. That takes some real strength.

I so hope you are right about the WIN! It would be wonderful for the family and DC so earned it.

I just read that Nigel said "The biggest star in the world right now" is going to be on Weds. night's finale. So who is the biggest star in the world right now? scratch Madonna? Miley? JT? Leona Lewis? Razz Who do you think it is???
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 7:40 pm

Biggest star. Hmmm. Brittney?
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 8:07 pm

frazzle wrote:
Biggest star. Hmmm. Brittney?

OMG..............I hope not. Then 'the biggest star in the world' is based on what exactly?

Let's just think...........IF DC is doing a U2 song..........could it be Bono? That would certainly look like a vote getter for DC.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 8:12 pm

Britney's on vacation at Mel Gibson's house. I don't think it would be Brit Brit anyway.

Since he didn't say biggest in USA, but biggest in the world, I am baffled. Just who might be considered the biggest star in the world? I ought to Googled "Biggest star in the world" and see who pops up! Razz

Oh - maybe Bono! Good idea Sky. The Top 5 are singing with big stars right? Maybe Bono will sing with DC? That would be awesome!
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 8:40 pm

Oh, oh............just read this one at IDF

Look, I could bet my bottom $$$ that the "HUGE" star will be Sir Elton John singing "DON'T LET THE SUN GO DOWN ON ME" with David A. After all DA is their chosen one is he not? What better way to ensure a win and get those ratings up ?

OR....

Arista Records will be releasing an album by Whitney Houston, whom Davis has called the greatest singer in the world, in 2008.

Last edited by Sky on Mon May 19, 2008 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 9:30 pm

But the big star is for the Weds. night show, not Tuesday when they perform for the votes. So I do not see how who they sing with on Weds. will effect the vote. Is Elton really considered "the biggest star in the world RIGHT NOW"? I mean that is the way Nigel put it. So I think it has to be somebody who is HOT right now. I don't see Elton as "the biggest star in the world right now". He is a legend/Icon yes, but I do not see him as "biggest-now". Of course Nigel has been know to blow smoke out his ass Razz So his idea of "biggest star in the world right now" may be be totally different than ours.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 9:42 pm

I love this!

http://tvfan.ew.com/blogs/post/1092

USA Today article on both Davids also has some interesting tidbits:

http://usatoday.com/life/television/news/2008-05-19-idol-davids_N.htm

To quote article
"As in previous seasons, both finalists will release albums.

Cook wants "a pop-based rock" record, citing such influences as Switchfoot and Jimmy Eat World. Archuleta will seek music "that's in the soul," along with pop that fits someone his age. "

Cook quote from article :

"Cook says his songs offer a chance to show off his versatility. "There's an eclectic mix, which I'm excited about. I get to do the real intimate stuff, I get to do the rock song, and I get to do everything in between. I'm stoked.""
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 6:34 am

Simon was on The Tonight Show last night. He said Cook should win. I don't know whether I should start worrying or clapping.........
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 7:02 am

Adam is that ill? pale

What a difficult situation for David. Oh, my.
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 7:15 am

Sad to hear about Cook's brother Adam being so ill right now. Perhaps he can see him on tv tonight and get a little boost.

I just caught up on this thread. You guys really generate a lot of pages on AI! About the changes they might make, I think it would be nice to get the top 10 and have them perform every week. People could vote over a period of ten weeks and then the cumulative number would be the winner. That way, no one would be going home - it would be a more varied show each week than we're getting now.

I'd also like to see them put a limit on the number of votes per phone line or text message id. This unlimited voting is and always has been a joke.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 7:26 am

I don't think that will ever happen. "Who is going home?" is the big drama of the show. I see your point because some people leave after one freaking song and you never get to see how talented they might be. But, it will never happen.

Now the voting thing? I WISH!! Like I said before, Archie's tweenie angels have bought go-phones and these 1,000 text votes for $9.99 plans. Archie will win because of all the text votes. Plus the tweenies will give it the full 4 hours of texting. How many adults can spend 4 hours doing that? I will vote as much as I can for 2 and half to 3 hours, but I am not staying up until midnight to hit redial endlessly. I just can't. I have to get up early tomorrow. The fact that someone can win AI because each tween gets to put in 1,000 votes is crazy. It shouldn't be about how many votes one person can get in, but about how many different people vote for you. But the phone companies love it no doubt, and AI gets to boast about how many millions of votes came in. So that isn't going to change either No
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 7:41 am

FC, it sounds to me like you think the voting really counts in this show. I really don't think it does. I think they can throw out any blocks of votes they need to make TCO have the numbers they need.

After the Clay/Rueben sing off 6 years ago (can it be that long ago?) I think the validity of this voting has always been a big question.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 7:59 am

This site has a great interview video...........I loved watching it, they talk about everything, from Paula Gate, judges, performances, problems of the show, voting..........

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1587724/20080519/id_0.jhtml
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 8:42 am

No, it can't be 6 years ago - because it was 5 years ago! Razz

I think because of DI and Zabasearch that yes, votes count. They have been right about the winner since they have been around. Plus I think if TPTB could manipulate the votes then Taylor would not have won. Lord KNOWS he was not TCO!

Honestly, I really believe that Clay "lost" because the lines were so jammed. I was never able to get one single vote through the entire voting time that night. Neither could either of my folks. Back then there were not multiple lines to call or as many hours to vote. People were able to get through on Ruben's line because there were not as many people trying to get through. I think DI and ZS have kept them pretty honest anyway.

ETA: Thanks Sky! That was interesting. I agree with a lot of it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

American Idol
Page 5 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next