Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!

Go down 
+3
Janice
abrahammy
firecracker
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 5:31 am

Totally adorable and funny little You Tube video a fan girl made called "David Cook You Broke My Heart". I LOVE her! DC should hook up with her and dump Kimbermeeeeee (sorry DC, but I just never liked KC - but I am trying to like her for your sake Laughing )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uCCpok4TCM
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 1260
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 7:45 am

firecracker wrote:
Totally adorable and funny little You Tube video a fan girl made called "David Cook You Broke My Heart". I LOVE her! DC should hook up with her and dump Kimbermeeeeee (sorry DC, but I just never liked KC - but I am trying to like her for your sake Laughing )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uCCpok4TCM

That is very cute!!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 3:32 pm

From a review from last night's show!

LA Times Review from last night:

Quote :
- David Cook. Without question, a rock star. A spectacular set that had the crowd on its feet throughout. More than Chris Daughtry ever could, David Cook has the ability to put a likable, charismatic face on hard rock while being entirely genuine and true to himself. His rise from the back benches to dominate the show and ultimately unseat the huge favorite to win will forever be one of the great "American Idol" stories. And his ability to connect with young people in a very authentic way should provide a shot of fresh blood into the franchise. It's a new era, with David Cook as champion and how that will change next season will be fascinating to watch. (Auditions start next week.)
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 8:26 pm

"Idol" moments with winner David Cook
The new American Idol, rock musician David Cook, talks about touring, favorite books, Seattle grunge rock, a Jimi Hendrix/Dylan tune he almost sang on TV, a country star he's listening to, acting in "Phantom of the Opera" and more in this revealing new interview.

By Misha Berson
Seattle Times arts critic

Quote :
First he handily beat out legions of other hopefuls for the "American Idol" crown. Now the champ of TV's top-rated sing-a-thon is on tour with the top 2008 "Idol" contenders, which began last Tuesday in Arizona, and comes to Tacoma on Saturday.

The 25-year old Tulsa musician David Cook — he of the soaring voice, mercurial hair and indie attitude — might be the first rocker champ to please "Idol" fans and critics alike.

By phone from a limo in L.A., a busy but open and amiable Cook seemed eager to talk about matters musical and creative, revealing passions for grunge rock, books by a hot Vancouver, Wash., novelist, and a Broadway role he's dying to play.

Q: You'll be performing in our area for the first time, when the "Idols" tour hits Tacoma. Growing up near Kansas City in the '90s, did the Seattle rock scene ever excite you?

A: I was kinda late on the curve with the Seattle sound. I had to backtrack to get into bands like Soundgarden, Mother Love Bone. But Pearl Jam's "Ten" was one of the first rock records I really embraced.

I absolutely think the Seattle grunge sound was instrumental to my music education. Songs like Soundgarden's "Rusty Cage" ... You listen to the lyrics and think, where in the world did that come from?

Q: Speaking of Seattle musicians, on "Idol" you sang Chris Cornell's version of "Billie Jean." And we hear you planned to do a Jimi Hendrix classic — Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower"?

A: Yeah ... but I never wanted to plateau, y'know? I didn't want to do two songs in a row with the same vibe. The week I sang the Who's "Baba O'Riley," and we slowed it down, I couldn't also do "Watchtower" the way I wanted — with a slow, acoustic, Dave Matthews vibe. I'll get to it down the road.

Q: Vocal versatility helped you win "Idol." Did you always have such a big vocal range?

A: I was a real midrange singer, out of fear or discomfort I wouldn't stray too far from that. It took me doing a solo record ("Analog Heart," released in 2006) and having to sing backup vocals to realize, hey! There are some high notes there I can actually hit.

The hardest part for me is to find a new (vocal) trick and not beat it into the ground — which I'm very capable of doing.

Q: You've had theater training, and your approach to songs on "Idol" seemed very theatrical.

A: Right. Some of the best rock shows I ever saw were those appealing to all your senses. There's definitely a visual aspect and an emotional aspect to a song. And that harks back, for me, to theater. I think every good song tells a story, as ambiguous and vague as it may be. And if you know what a song is talking about, it can only help your performance.

Q: You had different looks, "costumes" for each number.

A: I had to nudge the wardrobe people a little. They didn't want us to dress for the song, just wear street clothes. I said, why can't we do both? To me, there's a very abrupt disconnect if I go on stage in bicycle shorts and a tank top to sing "One" by U2.

Q: Would you like to act, along with making music?

A: To get back into theater would be a lot of fun. I got very excited when (rocker) Sebastian Bach took over the lead in "Phantom of the Opera." I find that role so intriguing and mysterious. When Andrew Lloyd Webber week came along on "Idol," I couldn't imagine myself singing anything but "Music of the Night." I'd love, love to play the phantom.

Q: "Idol" turned you into an instant media celebrity. Was that weird or intrusive for you?

A: It was like three years of PR wrapped into three months! It's nuts! To have people I've never met come up and congratulate me, say they feel they know me ... it's very powerful.

Q: It probably helped that you looked so relaxed on camera.

A: Well, things changed when I sang (Lionel Richie's) "Hello." I couldn't tell any other difference performance-wise from earlier weeks. I just began to engage the camera more. I learned a trick of not looking at the lens, but through it.

There's an odd disconnect with TV sometimes, and if you can do anything to break down that fourth wall between you and the person 10,000 miles away, it can only help.

Q: You're writing new songs for your album. What are they like?

A: I want the album to be eclectic, but still rock. I've tried to incorporate fresh ideas, and actually I've tried not to listen to rock music while I'm doing this.

Q: So what do you listen to?

A: (Singer-songwriter) Imogen Heap. Some Keith Urban. Trying not to stray too far, but get a bit of a fresh perspective.

I'd like this record to be palatable for sure, because I want to sustain a long career. But I don't feel I have to glue myself to the usual 1-4-5 (pop chord structure). I'm trying to write songs you may hear on the radio, but with interesting quirks that make them stand out.

Q: Isn't it the post-album era, where the big thing is single tracks?

A: Yeah, depressing, isn't it? I came from a time when records were records. I'll let the label worry about the singles, I'm into making a record.

Q: What songs will you perform on tour? The same each time?

A: We have a set list, but I want to make it a bit different every night, get as much audience interaction as possible, make it about us ... as opposed to me! I tried to put some duets in with others and I kept hearing, "David, your set's about you."

But y'know, I'm over that. You can have my ego! I want people to walk away from the show feeling like they've seen something completely unique they won't get anywhere else.

Q: Do you feel pressure to sing the big download hits from "Idol" — like "Billie Jean" and "Hello"?

A: I'm feelin' like, whatever's going to make the audience happy. ... I put a lot of work into this, and I'm completely OK to take the credit that entails. But if a lot of people didn't invest themselves, and their phone bills, in what I was trying to do each week, I'd still be in Tulsa bartending. And telling my roommate I can't pay my rent again this month.

Q: Will you play after-hours gigs at clubs during this tour?

A: I've talked to old bandmates about throwing in an under-the-radar acoustic gig here and there. For me, at the end of the day, all the interviews and attention are nice. But I'd rather be playing music.

Q: You're called "word nerd" because you like word puzzles. Do you read much?

A: As much as I can. I read a lot of poetry. ("Fight Club" author) Chuck Palahniuk — I'm really into his work. Autobiographies. "The Road to Dallas," about the JFK assassination, I'm thumbing through that.

Q: Amazing you can read at all, given how much PR stuff you've doing. Weren't you on a talk show with Barack Obama?

A: He was on "Jimmy Kimmel" with me, but by satellite feed so I didn't get to meet him. But hey, I was on a TV show with Barack Obama! At the end of the day, that's all I have to say.
Misha Berson: mberson@seattletimes.com
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 6:43 am

Follow the breadcrumbs to a zillion pix of DC!

http://expatiates.livejournal.com/532462.html#cutid1
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 6:55 am

Wow! There are a lot of great pictures there! Good find.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 7:58 am

Baby's gonna be RICH!!!! And my fave shoes too! I have 12 pairs!!!!!!!!!!

http://mjsbigblog.com/david-cook-signs-an-endorsement-deal-with-skechers.htm

EEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! PEEEEEEEEEEE! Squee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 5:41 am

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20210536,00.html

Playing soccer. He is good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HmNXaJEA0k
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 11:06 am

Somebody handed David a shirt at one of the shows and he put it on. I have to admit, this showed class and a real sense of humor.

David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Aiconcert08027

photo from justalurker
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 12:01 pm

Classy and funny - that's my guy! I love you Oh, and cute! Thanks for bringing the pic in here Abrahammy!

Yay! TOML cracked the Top 10 on Billboards Hot AC!

(TOML = Time of my Life)
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 1:45 pm

Very cute and funny picture and yay for getting into the top 10!!!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 5:54 am

LiveDaily Interview: David Cook
Published July 10, 2008 12:07 PM

By Christina Fuoco-Karasinski / LiveDaily Contributor

Quote :
The "American Idol" winner should be a champion for the people--and David Cook [ tickets ] is exactly that. The afternoon before the tour's opening night in Glendale, AZ, Cook walked through the media area acknowledging each reporter. Later that evening, fans sitting side stage got a special treat when Cook stood in the wings watching fellow contestant Brooke White and encouraging ticket holders to cheer her on.

"The goal is just to try to create some energy," said Cook, who tried out for the reality-television talent competition on a whim when he accompanied his brother Andrew to auditions. "I think, watching everybody else's set, I've definitely got my work cut out for me. Everybody's bringing it. It's cool. If I can keep up with everybody else, I'll be just fine."

Cook, who began his five-song set with a rock cover of Lionel Richie's "Hello," spoke with LiveDaily about his forthcoming album, his love of Our Lady Peace and how it felt to win the competition.

I understand you're working on a new album and you had the chance to work with Collective Soul's Ed Roland. How was it?

Aww, man, I am a big fan. Obviously, I did "The World I Know" on the show. He always seems to write just really solid, hooky music. I got more nervous about meeting guys like him than I did anybody else through the show and stuff. The bands I get into, you always worry about, "Are they going to be nice?" Ed was so cool. We're talking about going golfing when we swing through Atlanta on the tour. He's a stand-up guy. I was really, really happy with the way everything turned out. Yeah, cool guy.

Who else have you worked with on the album?

I've written with a few people. I got a chance to write with Raine Maida [lead singer] of Our Lady Peace. That was just crazy. He was so nice. I got to write with Zac Maloy of The Nixons, which was cool. Let's see, who else? I got to write with Jason Wade of Lifehouse. I guess I’m lucky. Everyone I've written with has been so nice and really cool. It's been very fruitful. I'm really excited about where the record's headed.

You did Our Lady Peace's "Innocent" on the show. How did you discover the band? They're biggest in border towns and you're from Missouri.

There was a dude that I went to high school with. He was a year or two older than me. At that point, I was really trying to get into some new music. He said, "Well here. Listen to this record." It was Our Lady Peace's "Clumsy." "You can borrow this, da da da." It took me six months to get it back to him. I just loved the record. Then, once college hit and "Gravity" came out, I re-immersed myself in it. I went back and started listening to "Spiritual Machines" and "Happiness ... is Not a Fish That You Can Catch." The ambient stuff on those records is so solid. You just get lost in it. You see the charitable stuff that Raine does and that solidified it for me. I remember watching very recently his video treatment for "Yellow Brick Road," that song he did on his solo record. It was amazing. He goes out and plays acoustic on the streets all day to try to raise $30,000 to build a school in Africa. It's easy for somebody of his stature to kind of rest on his laurels a little bit. The fact that he is so active--I respect him more than I could ever put into words.

For the tour, are you able to choose which songs you sing?

Yeah, yeah. Mainly I'm doing stuff from the show. I'm going to be doing the single, "Time of My Life." And then I have one song that I didn't do on the show, that I'm very, very excited about. It's high energy. I'm hoping to get the crowd into it a little bit and it means something to me.

Do you think you had an advantage over past contestants because you were allowed to play instruments?

I think it helped, yeah, for me personally. I knew going in I wasn't going to be the strongest singer this season. But I knew I could hold my own in my genre. But the instrumentation helped a lot I think. I don't want to say it was a golden goose for me or anything. At the end of the day, I think it was the perfect storm, just a lot of things falling into place for me.

You looked so shocked when you won "American Idol."

I am. I'm still shocked. It's like, "What?" The best way I can explain that moment was it was just an out-of-body experience. I felt like I was watching it. I try to think about it sometimes. I still haven't really processed it. It still seems so foreign to me. I don't feel like I changed. It's like when you have a birthday. Somebody says, "Do you feel older?" It's like, "No." I don't feel like anything's changed just yet.

Wait until 20,000 people start screaming for you tonight. I thought that was really touching when you brought your brother on stage when you won.

He's the reason I'm here. I feel like I'm here on his ticket. Any opportunity that I accrue to showcase the people who put me where I'm at, I'm all for it. So the fact that I was able to do that, that meant a lot to me.

Did it mean a lot to him?

I think so. When I made it through the first round, we were interviewed by a local news affiliate. They asked my brother how he was feeling. He said, "It's great. I don't have to do any of the work. I can just enjoy the fruits of his labor." I tried to help out where I could. I got the chance to have him come out for his 21st birthday, which was a few weeks ago. Spend a little money on him. Pamper him. It was nice to be able to say I'm in that position in my life where I can do something like that.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 9:15 am

Great write up!!!!!!!! What a nice guy!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 2:57 pm

Yes he is!! I I love you him!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 9:59 am

If you scroll past the cool pix of DC and fans on the tour - you can watch vids of DC's performances at "Taste for the Cure".

http://davidcooksfan.com/
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 6:28 am

From a fan encounter!

Quote :
(hookedoncook @ Jul 12 2008, 01:34 PM) *

He moved thru the line very quickly but when he got to us I presented him with one of our new David-Cook.org Word Nerds United2Fight Cancer t-shirts and told him about our ongoing project to support the American Cancer Society by encouraging D-C.org members to get involved with the local Relay for Life and Strides Against Breast Cancer events in their areas. He was signing and hurriedly moving down the line when I present him with the t-shirt. But when he heard me say this he stopped and gave me his full attention! He said "please tell me more," so I told him about our planned Relay event for Portland today (7/12) and that so far we have raised $1,170.00 for the American Cancer Society. And that I wasn't going to stop there. That we planned to spread the word to all our members and raise money throughout the US and the World! (So those of you not living in the US who want to do something to show your appreciation please check the global Relay for Life page, there are events all over the world). I told him about the line of t-shirts we were selling and that all proceeds will go to the American Cancer Society. His eyes welled up with tears and he reached out and pulled me close and gave me a BIG OLE BEAR HUG! It was so hard to keep from crying myself but I knew this was my only chance to speak with him.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 1:36 pm

Awesome video of DC doing Billie Jean and pouring his water over him at the end! Great angles at the end and you can really see him work his guitar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G54NrKOD7II
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 6:27 pm

OK, he is just smoking hawt in this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ODWCq3C_k&feature=user

A still from the video!

David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Bendydavid
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 6:58 pm

Yes.........he is!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 12:03 pm

#6! Looks like the spins are picking up again on both AC and HOT AC. He has a red bullet on all 3 formats.

Quote:
AC
8 6 DAVID COOK Time Of My Life 1368 1209 159 9.732

HOT AC
11 10 DAVID COOK Time Of My Life 2369 2133 236 12.756

CHR/POP
35 34 DAVID COOK Time Of My Life 1364 1244 120 8.262

ETA: Scans of DC's Tour Program pix!

Be sure to biggie them! Excellent pix:

http://theentertainmenthotline.net/2008/07/14/david-cook-photo-scans-from-idols-live-tour-program/
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 5:35 pm

7/13/08 HAC Chart: David Cook goes top 10, Natasha Bedingfield aims at #1

Quote :
July 15, 2008 — hotacguru
At the top of the chart, Leona Lewis remains at #1 for an 8th week.

Natasha Bedingfield climbs to #3 with “Pocketful of Sunshine”, and she has the biggest spin increase of any song within the top 40.

Coldplay also move into the top 5 at #4, with their 2nd biggest hit on the HAC chart. Only “Speed of Sound” peaked higher.

“The Time of My Life” reaches #10 this week, giving David Cook his first top 10.

Madonna update: “4 Minutes” falls to #27 in its 15th week on. If it can last 5 more weeks in the top 40, it will be removed to recurrent.

Rhianna is at #18 with Maroon 5 on “If I Never See Your Face Again” and she moves up #26 solo at #30 with “Take a Bow”.

All chart data © Mediabase 24/7

Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 4:54 pm

Utah Interview!

http://videos.heraldextra.com/p/video?id=1999933
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 8:11 pm

Cute pix of DC at LAX on his way to record.

http://bauergriffinonline.celebuzz.com/2008/07/bfm_enlarged/enlarged-airport-time-with-the-two-davi.php?bfm_index=5
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 4:45 pm

Radio & Records has this short blurb on the front of their site:

2• DAVID COOKS UP A HIT – “American Idol” victor goes from Omaha auditions to ruling the charts.
Quote :

Billboard standings for this week

Hot 100 - #49 (eeee! bacck into the top 50!)

Mainstream Top 40 - #35

Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks - #6 ( SQUEE! Up from 8 and the greatest gainer!)

Hot Adult Top 40 Tracks - #9

Hot 100 Airplay - #53

Pop 100 Airplay - #42

Candian Hot 100 - #5
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 5:28 pm

Isn't that fantastic!!!!!!!!!!! We knew all along he'd be a star!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!   David Cook - 2008 AI Winner! - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

David Cook - 2008 AI Winner!
Page 5 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next