Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

American Idol

Go down 
+7
Sky
Lau
frazzle
abrahammy
Badger
firecracker
Luca
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

American Idol - Page 20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 8:59 pm

Good. I was hoping that list was incorrect.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 10:44 pm

If Syesha is actually singing Don't Cry for me Argentina she will suck at it. It require a deep powerhose PERSONA, the vocal stuff is not that important.

But if the Carly in my best imagination did it she would blow the roof off.

Memory is a much tougher song. Carly might be great, or might not be.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 8:31 am

Quote :

Anyone who has been through what “American Idol” contestant David Cook is going through knows the heaviness he feels inside.

His older brother, Adam, is gravely ill, in the advanced stages of brain cancer. With little fanfare and without a word’s mention from David, Adam traveled from his home in Terre Haute, Ind., to Hollywood to attend last Tuesday’s broadcast of “Idol.”

After his song was done and the judges had bathed him in praise, David cried a little. The next night Ryan Seacrest gave him the chance to talk about what had happened the night before, but David declined. I admire his need for privacy, but I suspect that even if he wanted to, he probably can’t talk about it publicly without breaking down or, like he did Tuesday night, softly weeping.

This is heavy stuff, heavier, I think, than a lot of people realize. It’s hard to imagine how hard it is until you go through it.

For Cook, a native of Blue Springs, this is all compounded by the show: Amid the most exciting and public moment of his life, he is also feeling profound sadness. I bet it’s on his mind most of the time. It probably wakes him up in the middle of the night.

At some point in our lives, we all go through it: Someone we love suffers a major illness. Or dies. Usually it starts with grandparents, then elderly parents, aunts and uncles. Sometimes it doesn’t. When it’s a child — well, that has to be the worst. But when it’s a sibling, it can be nearly as tragic and sad.

Brotherhood and sisterhood are unique relationships, bonds that begin at birth. Our siblings are wired to us in ways no one else is or can be. They see us at our lowest, our weakest. They know things about us no one else knows, not our parents, spouses or closest friends.

It’s a deep, durable bond, too. It survives feuds, sometimes bitter feuds — the kinds that kill friendships. And it survives separations — sometimes long estrangements. I found this line in a Dylan Thomas story that made me smile: “I made a snowman and my brother knocked it down and I knocked my brother down and then we had tea.”

That’s how my brother and I went through childhood: Punch each other bloody in the morning, play army in the tree fort that afternoon.

Since I was 8 years old, there were eight of us. Five years ago, one of my younger sisters died. Like Adam Cook, she had young kids, too. When she became gravely ill, her life consumed ours. Now there’s a vacancy. And past tenses: “We had eight kids … I had six sisters …” And her siblings feel the loss, all the way back to our early childhoods.

In a perfect world Adam Cook gets better and raises his children into adulthood. And David remains his kid brother for many years. Let’s hope.

In the real world, crueler things happen. When I wondered aloud to someone whether David Cook might not finish this season, she said slightly incredulously, “Why?”

Why? Because maybe the grief will be too heavy to bear, because maybe he decides his brother and his family are more important than a singing contest.

“Idol” is classified as a reality show, I guess, but it’s really an unscripted serial drama. Each week is a new chapter, with a new conflict and resolution. Viewers pick their protagonists based on personality as much as talent and hope he or she survives till the finish. And along the way, they root against their antagonists, hoping for another’s failure.

Reality has crept into this season, a storyline more profound than someone’s job at a strip club, someone’s so-called stage parent or someone’s former recording contract.

David Cook genuinely doesn’t want his story to affect the outcome of the show, which makes him seem even more decent as a person. He doesn’t want our sympathy, but he deserves our respect. And if you have any idea of what he’s going through, give him your empathy, too. Right now, winning “American Idol” must be a distant second on his list of wishes.

Source:

http://www.kansascity.com/238/story/585077.html

There is talk that David C is also sick Shocked I think I see a train wreck coming!
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 9:32 am

Badger wrote:
According to a person who knows Jason and who posts at Idolforums, he is not singing "Music Of The Night".

Thank goodness. Seriously, he just does not have the range for that song. I doubt if anyone in this group does.

This is going to be a very difficult night for all of these contestants. You really have to be wondering what there was about Brooke that impressed ALW. My guess was the feeling she was willing to put into the song.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 11:57 am

I am dreading tonight more and more each minute!!

Quote :

ALW article. It's a little spoilery.

Excerpt -

Quote:
Lloyd Webber isn’t an “Idol”-worshipper, he’ll have you know.

“I’m a new boy on this one — I saw it this week for the first time. I think that’s rather good, you know, because I’m not influenced by what’s happened. I think the ‘Idol’ people were quite taken aback, actually, by what I do, versus some of the other mentors. I hope I’ve managed to change a couple of their performances, because a couple of them were dire.”

It should be noted that the last word comes out an appalled and upper-crusty “diaaaahhhh.”

“One of them,” he says, “actually ended up being really excellent.”

He won’t be coaxed into telling exactly who that singer is.

“No, I won’t, but it should be pretty obvious.”

(We’re calling it here: He’s referring to this season’s apparent Chosen One, 17-year-old David Archuleta, who is solidly in his comfort zone when it comes to delivering a big-voiced, emotional show tune ballad.)

“My only feeling about ‘Idol’ when I saw it was that all the judges thought they were going for the presidential campaign,” Lloyd Webber says. “I wanted to make them all laugh a little bit. The first thing I did was ask them the meaning of ... ‘Las Vegas,’ and none of them was able to answer. Well, the meaning is ‘the meadows.’ So I asked them had they seen any sheep here. And that made them smile a bit. And I said, ‘Well, I’ve seen a few people fleeced.’ ”

Ba-dum-bum. He’s here all weekend, ladies and gentlemen.

“Carly — she’s the Irish one, isn’t she? — Carly was going to do ‘All I Ask of You’ (from “Phantom”), and I felt a bit of a turncoat in this theater of all places, saying, ‘This is wildly unsuited for you, darling. I said to her, ‘It’s crazy, you’ve got to do a rock-and-roll song. Better to do “Jesus Christ Superstar.” I think she’ll rock the place out with it,” he chuckles. “We’ll see how much they take of what I said — or not. I’ll probably be cut to shreds (in editing).”

Clue from Joan, who is supposed to be reliable, about Jason's song choice, posted in the Popwatch blog comments section:

Quote:
Joan Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 09:57 AM EST

First clue: Jason will be searching for lithe-bodied round-headed fissiped mammals many with retractile claws deep in the recesses of his mind.

The song is apparently "Memory"
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 4:03 pm

Randy Jackson on the Ellen Degeneres Show…

* Randy says, “It isn’t going to be David vs Goliath, it’s going to be David vs David.”
* David Cook is Ellen’s favorite right now. She thinks he’s original.
* Randy think’s he’s been one of the most original contestant’s they’ve ever had.
* He thinks Carly Smithson’s potential is huge, but she hasn’t quite lived to her potential
* He gave Brooke White a shout out for her singer/songwriter skills.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 4:11 pm

PER TMZ!

David Cook - "Music of the Night" from Phantom of the Opera

David Archuleta - "Think of Me" from Phantom of the Opera.

Jason Castro - "Memory" from Cats. FYI, the official title is NOT "Memories."

Carly Smithson - "Jesus Christ Superstar"

Syesha Mercado - "One Rock & Roll Too Many" from Starlight Express

Brook White - "You Must Love Me" from the film adaptation of "Evita"

I think I may have to hide from Lau tonight American Idol - Page 20 5
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 5:26 pm

This is the performance order.

Quote :
From MJ's Big Blog -

Syesha: She looked beautiful. Red dress, sat on the piano. She danced with Ricky Minor. There is a huge orchestra on stage

Jason: He is very obviously sick, and seems in a bad mood. He’s wearing a white suit. The consensus is that he wasn’t very good.

David A: Very good, as he always is. Dressed in a Khaki Jacket and sneakers.

Brooke: She is fantastic. “Blew me Away”. Really got what the song meant. Her dress is really ugly.

Carly: “Tore the Place Apart”. Very high energy. She was wearing a sixties-style dress.

David C: David has the pimp spot. He sounded “Wonderful” He’s wearing a suit jacket with a scarf flowing out of the back.

Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 6:26 pm

Well, didn't take long for the first train wreck No Poor kid. What was he thinking? Oh man - I am scared to death for my DC pale Sorry, but once again I have to say I hate these themes. Do they really think anybody watching this show is looking for someone who can sing THESE songs?

And train wreck number 2 No

Last edited by firecracker on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Badger

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 6:30 pm

I thought it was fine. Not the best by any stretch but very pretty. And Jason always brings the comedy in the interviews. "I didn't know it was a cat singing it". Razz Razz Razz

I knew the judges were going to hate it though. Poor Jason. He must have the world's most expressive face. He could never lie.

He's gotta hope his fanbase is big enough to get him through even if that only means bottom 2 but not going home.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 6:41 pm

Well, IMO that is only really going to appeal to his fans. Vocally that was a real zero for me. He is a sweet, lovely boy. But I have never found him a really talented vocalist. Perhaps talented musician /songwriter/folk type singer, but not that great a singer. If I put on the radio and had no idea that he was a super cutie I would change the channel Razz Honestly, no offense at all. I like the guy as a person. He is adorable! Yes, that was so funny about the cats! Well, it doesn't surprise me that he doesn't know much about ALW songs.

All that said, I still hope he sticks around. I think Brooke may be in more danger than Jason. At least Jason will have a lot of fangirlies voting for him. I don't know that Brooke has a strong enough fan base to get her through that. We shall see.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 7:02 pm

OMG! David Cook! Tears in my eyes! I should have never doubted him!
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 8:34 pm

Quote :
If I put on the radio and had no idea that he was a super cutie I would change the channel
Well, let me just say this: If people were to just "hear" 80% of the artists on the radio today, they would not have a career.

Good or bad, it is no longer about how good a person can sing. That's why I roll on the floor LAUGHING hysterically when Simon says "it's a singing competition". It's NOT or Melinda Doolittle (remember her?) would have the biggest career right now.

If Jason is packaged correctly, he could have an amazing career. That boy has charisma. He's funny, adorable and insanely good-looking. He is one of the most beautiful boys I've ever seen. Based on that alone, he could be a star. I swear. He probably had fansites up in like MINUTES after he first appeared.

This show is about image. That is why, usually, at the end of the show the contestant looks nothing like they did at the beginning (see: Hudson, Jennifer and ESPECIALLY: Aiken, Clay).

Can't comment on the singing yet because it hasn't aired here yet, but glad Cook did amazing. he's a professional and knows how to play to his strengths.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 8:49 pm

I agree that packaged right Jason could do very well. I still don't think his voice is distinctive at all, but his look and style is.

I was never a fan of Melinda's. She just never did anything for me. I liked Jordin and Blake better. For me last year ended just perfect. Melinda just seemed so much older than she really was in every way. Never saw a star when I watched her. Always saw back-up singer. Good voice, bad package I guess Laughing

The Dial Idol numbers are interesting. I am so happy yo see my DC in first place again, but I am surprised to see Carly at the very bottom. She did kinda of scream the song, but at least it was lively.

Syesha definitely saved herself tonight. No way she is going home. I think this could be it for Brooke. She just lost it again tonight. I do not think she can handle the pressure anymore.

Archie bored me to tears again. The kid has a good voice but no WOW for me in the presentation part of his performances. He really needs a few more years I think to be a better entertainer. He has the chops but nothing else really. I mean performance wise. Seems like a great kid though. It did bug the crap out of me that Ryan had all those little girls come up and hug him. Archie seemed so uncomfortable.

EEEEK!

They are advertising Clay's new CD on DialIdol!! You can even click on it and see Clay talk about making the CD. How Cool!
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 9:14 pm

Quote :
Well, didn't take long for the first train wreck No Poor kid. What was he thinking?

He was so sick tonight he had to have a dextrose iv between the dress rehearsal and the show. Now, I think this was a bad song choice for him anyway, but apparently he really didn't feel good, either.

I hope Brooke pays for her decision to restart. Jason is more professional than she is - and he will heal up from what's ailing him. She will not.

And DialIdol has Carly dead last, which is really random.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 9:24 pm

Dammit, now I'm sitting here in a freakin' leaky boat with Abrahammy totally loving on The Castro. Crap. He can't go on ALW week. He CAN'T! "Memory" will not be his singout. His fans will vote for him. I'm practically ready to buy his CD. I have never bought a CD by any Idol contestant EVER, unless you count the Clay ones I buy for my mom.

"I was like, uhhhhh". He will need to take one or 100 elocution lessons and maybe lay off the wacky tobacky for a while, but this kid is a star. I'm sorry. I love him. Damn you Abrahammy!

"I don't think that girl had a CLUE what she was singing about". Shit! He is one honest guy.

Poor Brooke. They need to put her out of her misery. Seriously. Really really. She's falling all apart. I feel so bad. I constantly want to go and hold her and rock her and tell her everything will be OK. Not the feeling you want to have when someone is performing.

OMG. I just realize her song is "you must love me". Holy shit. Her eyes look terrified. That is one beautiful girl, but competition is not her thing. Simon was dead-on.

Awwww...and he was nice to her about starting over. He must feel the same way with the whole vulnerability thing. He probably knows one more unkind word and they'd be taking her off the stage in a strait jacket
Back to top Go down
Badger

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 9:38 pm

I could see Archie winning this but not doing particularly well. Then a few years later when he's in his twenties, having a big "comeback". I think he could benefit by some maturity. Right now he just seems so young and immature.

As much as I love my pretty little Jason, he deserves to be in the bottom 3. I thought it was a lovely performance and he really got the emotion of the song, but really Cookie, Syesha and Carly were better. Didn't care much for Archie or Brooke.

And regarding Brooke starting and stopping, even in my cheesy high school chorus and musicals, we were told the biggest no no is to start something over again. If you mess up, just keep going. She deserves to go for that alone. Especially since she's done it before. There is no justice if she stays and Jason goes.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 9:43 pm

I totally tuned out for David's performance. Randy has rose-colored ears on. Simon was TOTALLY right. My mind wandered. I stopped watching him. What kind of hard-on does Randy have for this guy? Someone tell me!

Carly totally gave me chills. No nerves! She came out there and rocked that shit! Awesome!

Last edited by Green Eyez on Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 9:49 pm

I know Jason was not in perfect health, but no matter that just was not a good song choice. It is such a HUGE song and way to big for him to handle. I think there were much better choices for him. I think he could have killed on something like "I Don't Know How to Live Him". Something more gentle - like he is. Memory is a bombastic and theatrical song - two things Jason just isn't. I still think he will be safe tomorrow. Hopefully next week's "theme" is better suited to the boys' strength.

I think Brooke leaving tomorrow would be a relief for everybody. It is sad to see what has happened to her. I can hardly believe she is the same girl who sang "Let It Be".

"Lay off the wacky tobacky" Razz But that is part of his charm no? Laughing

I totally agree with Simon and Badger. Boring and forgettable. I usually don't even watch when Archie is singing. I hear him, but I read the boards while he is on.

I agree GE, Randy soooo ever praises Archie. Every.single.week. It makes no sense. It's like he sings the same song every week and they all blur together. Imagine is the only song I can even remember the name of.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 9:55 pm

What is Randy talking about? He is out of his ever-lovin' mind!

Look, I guess I didn't make myself clear. Jason't performance sucked. He was nowhere near the top. Syesha, Carly and (he's about to perform, but I'm assuming) David hit it, so he will definitely be b-3. I just love HIM, Jason, and the texture of his voice and his style. I think there's something sexy about his voice. I agree Memory was the most horrific song choice for him and I really wish ALW had steered him towards something that didn't require a huge voice, like he did with Carly.

The "high" thing is totally part of his charm, but if he sits down with Jay Leno talking like that, he'll go down in flames.

David did a really great job! He sounded the most like he was doing a theater song.

What did Simon mean "the song you were given"??? Did he mean the "genre"? 'Cause...what???
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 10:07 pm

Ha, I would love to see Jason sit down with Leno! I think it would be a riot!

Yeah, I really think Simon meant genre - but that comment does have people talking. I just honestly think Simon misspoke.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 10:12 pm

Well, that was very interesting. And very surprising.

First..Syesha. Good for her, she doesn't have to try to be a pop star. She can just do Broadway and make a very nice upper middle class living forever.

Jason...I don't really know what to say. Not only was the most bizarre choice for his voice, but even if you don't know it is sung by a cat, it is OBVIOUSLY about being old and on your way out of this world soon, and thinking back to having been young and beautiful How the fuck could he miss that?

Brooke...she just doesn't belong anywhere near AI, but I am glad she went on it so I got introduced to her. I love her voice, and I bet I would even love her rendition of the song tonight if she wasn't in a state of freak-out.

Carly....OK, then! Finally heading in the direction of Grace Slick! I hope she keeps that up.

David Cook. WOW THE FUCK WOW! Who would have though he could actually SING sing! Very cool.

David A, I didn't watch or listen.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 10:21 pm

I am just totally head over heels now over David Cook. Shocked The man just blew me away. Everything about the performance was so incredibly beautiful. His talent is truely beyond anything I have ever seen on AI. And I fucking loved that he sang the song true to how ALW wrote it. He performed it like it deserved to be performed. Simon needs to be castrated on the spot for saying what he said about doing the best he could with the song he was given...WTF????????????

I think it is going to be between Syesha and the two Davids now.

Carly sucked IMO. I HATED the arrangement and sorry, but she strained at that key she was trying to sing in. No *stabs* Why could'nt she have sang Don't cry for me Argentina?????? *stabs again*

And as for Jason? He did better than I thought he would, but I agree with the judges that vocally he did not quite pull the song off. I really felt his emotion though near the end and it was a truely beautiful moment.
I think he has a future in the music business. If he was sick I would have never known it. His voice sounded as good as it ever does IMO. I don't think he will go yet.

ITA with Badger that Brooke should go. This is not a high school choir practice. If you are a pro you just never do that shit...especially twice.
Even Paula snapped out of her coma to say you should never do that.

I really loved the songs that all of them chose. I was quite entertained and love ALW.

And I am totally behind David Cook all the way now. Not in a fangirl way, but as a fan that appreciates an extraordinary talent that moves me. I will buy his music whatever he does. He is interesting.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 10:31 pm

Wow, tonight while running around different boards I have learned some interesting things.

- I think Archie's support is waning.
- Everybody agrees that Jason and Brooke were awful; there's no consensus on who was worst.
- And I think I figured out why Carly's not doing well in the vote totals. It's stupid, it's unfair, but here it is: she sang a song that was critical of Jesus Christ. Theatre buffs know that it's Judas singing from hell, they know the context of the song, but there's a whole crew of folks who thought she was actually bashing Jesus.

Shocked

And if she goes home tomorrow, it will be because ALW made her change her song. Shocked

How's that for irony. I will tell you what, if that happens, I don't wanna be the person who is standing next to her, especially if that person is Brooke or Jason. The lynchings begin at 9:01, and Randy Jackson owns the rope.

I REALLY hope Brooke is the person booted.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 10:38 pm

Abrahammy, you know, that's exactly what I was thinking when you said she was dead last. Yeah, for Middle America, any song about "Jesus Christ" had better be reverential and include the word "hallelujah" in it.

I mean, REALLY.

I have a really good friend who's Christian and JS Superstar is her favoritist movie in the whole world. She wore out her VHS copy at the time. We went to see the live show (with Ted Nealy? Frazz? I'm sorry about the spelling) It's phenomenal. People need to not take it all so seriously. What would have happened if she sang "I Don't Know How to Love Him". Would they call her a whore?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 20 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

American Idol
Page 20 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next