Wizened Women
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizened Women

Smart women muse on topics both smart and stupid

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

American Idol

Go down 
+7
Sky
Lau
frazzle
abrahammy
Badger
firecracker
Luca
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Sky

Sky

Number of posts : 1260
Registration date : 2007-04-06

American Idol - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 5:02 pm

So do I! He's having fun with the attitude of someone his age shows. Actually, he isn't a teen, but still has that young attitude. He doesn't care about Simon's remarks and he doesn't look thrilled over Ryans silly questions. His studio recordings are so good, that I'm hoping he gets a CD out sometime.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

Number of posts : 4965
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 9:19 am

FWIW from Dial Idol. If it is the true list then I am very interested in how Jason does with that song.

Quote :
According to Dialidol:

David Cook- But you know I love you

Kristy Lee Cook- two doors down

Michael johns-Islands in the stream

Carly Smithson- Jolene

David Archuleta- Travelin thru

Ramiele Mulabuy- 9 to 5

Brooke White-Coat of many colors

Syesha Mercado- Eagle when she flies

Jason Castro- I will always love you

Comes from someone in Dollys camp who attending her Saturday sessions with the idols.

The posters comment: She was smitten by David cook and his arrangement, she was blown away by Carly and her favorite was Jason.

Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 9:59 am

Alrighty, this might just be a good week! Thanks for bringing that list over!
Back to top Go down
Lau

Lau

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 10:16 am

I have concerns about how this show is going to be. I think when I saw "Islands in the stream" I went oopss.. This might be a week like the one where they did Elton John songs. Elton and Dolly put a very remarkable stamp on a song and its very difficult to pull it off like they do.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 10:37 am

Lau wrote:
I have concerns about how this show is going to be. I think when I saw "Islands in the stream" I went oopss.. This might be a week like the one where they did Elton John songs. Elton and Dolly put a very remarkable stamp on a song and its very difficult to pull it off like they do.

I agree....I'm not sure about "Islands In The Stream" for Michael. Beautiful song, I hope he does something good with it.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 10:48 am

Honestly, I am not too thrilled about the Dolly theme. I am not really a fan at all. I can't imagine the guys doing all that well with some of these songs. Maybe they will surprise me though.

I think if Rami really does 9 to 5 she may be in trouble. That song is not really going to show off her voice and I think she needs "a moment" like the others have had.

I don't even know some of those songs up there scratch

I do think that Carly will KILL on Jolene!

I am guessing that Jason will do the more Dolly version than the Whitney version Razz I really thought Syesha would do that song.

I have no idea how David Cook is going to rock out on a Dolly song Shocked I hope it goes well for him though. I would hate for him to lose his momentum after last week, kinda like Con after BoRap No
Back to top Go down
Badger

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 11:51 am

FWIW, people in both Jason and David Archuleta's camps say those spoilers are all wrong. Interestingly enough, I've seen another spoiler list supposedly leaked by someone who was at the recording session Sunday night that has David Archuleta singing "IWALY" and Jason singing "9 to 5".

Still another rumor has Syesha singing "IWALY".

FWIW, Dolly's version of "IWALY" which she wrote when she ended her professional relationship with Porter Wagoner is much more quiet and subdued, not the glory notefest that Whitney made it.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 11:53 am

Islands in the Stream?????!!!!! What? He didn't like the Simon praise and he wants to get hit with the "what the hell were you thinking?" stick?

ETA after Badger's post: Oh THANK GOD. That list didn't sound right to me at all and I was really hoping it was wrong.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 1:26 pm

I am so hoping that list is wrong also. But I will worry about David Cook either way. Dolly and rock? I don't know...

I agree Badger, I have heard Dolly's version of IWALY and it is lovely. I remember whenever that song came on the radio and I was with my folks my Dad would run from the room yelling "Shut her up!" He was not a Whitney fan Razz

I still hope that Carly sings Jolene and I think Brooke would be awesome on Coat!

So I will watch tonight with my fingers crossed that everyone does a good job. Well, maybe except for Kristy Wink
Back to top Go down
Badger

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 1:58 pm

Vince Gill has also covered it both as a solo and as a duet with Dolly.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 5:49 pm

Apparently Carly is singing Here You Come Again.

Quote :
From TMZ via TwoP. They are usually correct...

David Archuleta -- "Appalachin Memories" (aka Smoky Mountain Memories)
Syesha Mercado -- "I Will Always Love You"
Carly Smithson -- "Here You Come Again"
Kristy Lee Cook -- "Coat of Many Colors"
Ramiele Malubay -- "Do I Ever Cross Your Mind"
Michael Johns -- "It's All Wrong, But It's All Right"
Jason Castro -- "Travelin' Thru"
Brooke White -- "Jolene"
David Cook -- "Little Sparrow"
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 6:18 pm

YAY!! David!!! He really can make any song amazing! So happy and now I can relax for the rest of the show!! Razz

Wow! I think David A will be back on top this week! That was an amazing vocal performance!! I still think this kid is going to win.

Micheal looked gorgeous. I didn't enjoy the performance the way the judges did. He is way up there on DialIdol.

What Simon said to Carly was so out of line. He can be such a dick sometimes Evil or Very Mad She did a wonderful job with the song - which seemed very much like Clay's version.

Christy saved herself for another week I think.

Jason, vocally still doesn't impress. Looked super cute though.

I thought Syesha started out well and than went WAY OTT! No likey the whole second half of the song.

Brooke - still just love her! Not her best vocal IMHO, but still a really nice job!

Rami - oh she just makes me so sad. Such an adorable little sweetie who blew me away the first week. What the heck happened Honey? I really think she will be the one to go this week.

ETA: The 4 at the bottom of DialIdol are all female. This sure is the year of the guys!
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 10:14 pm

Well, OK, I watched the whole show tonight. In the past I've only caught a performance here or there.

Michael BLEW ME AWAY! I was getting all hot and bothered. That performance was amazing and totally HOT. DAMN! For me, the best performance of the night.

LOVED David Cook. Second best performance.

David A. was good. I wasn't thrilled. The judges liked it more than I did.

The only girl I like is Carly. Of course, with the way they rig it now, they can't have a boy/boy finale, so even if every girl goes except for Carly, she'll hang in there till the end like Katherine was.

So, it'll be Carly and probably one of the Davids is my prediction.

Two blonde bland country singers. One of them has to go.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 10:25 pm

It was all about the guys for me tonight...there were some very entertaining performances all around though! I would love to see the top three be David C, David A, and Michael.

I REALLY enjoyed David Cook...his voice is so unique and love his style.
Even thought he looked kinda cute with the new styling. Embarassed

David A's vocals were just absolutely beautiful...he totally let go and let it soar! The kid has so much talent it is just crazy.

Michael was just plain out hot!!!!!I had to fan myself a few times myself GE! Twisted Evil Love his bluesy side...

I also think Carly is phenomenally talented. I thought the way Simon said that about her lack of good styling was low, but he is right. She is very pretty, but that outfit sucked!!!!!! She should have worn something that at least did'nt look cheap and flattered her figure. I hope they give her a new stylist...that one she has needs to try another career! *stabs*

Really enjoyed tonights songs. Dolly is an amazing songwriter indeed. Dayuum though, please put her under house arrest so she can't get anymore plastic surgery...She is almost as bad as Priscilla. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 11:26 pm

David C. and Michael!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will always cheer for Jason too, he's such a cutie and I love his voice and style of singing. I can't wait for the studio recordings to come out this week......... I agree that David A. has a great voice, but I don't like watching him sing and I can honestly say I wouldn't buy a cd of his, just not my type. I love Brooke and she really shines on her studio recordings. Carly has a great voice, but I don't think she has a lot of stage presence. Her outfit wasn't that great, but don't judge a singer by what they wear........... I love, love David C's new 'do'.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 11:44 pm

Oh no! It is being reported that David Cook was rushed to the hospital right after tonight's show with heart and blood pressure issues. Apparently his brother is very ill and had a bad week and it has been stressful for him. I hope he'll be okay. I'm sure we'll know more by morning.

Anyone know anything about this?
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 12:28 am

This is it so far

I get palpitations and it's usually no big deal. I'm sure they'd just rather be safe than sorry.
Back to top Go down
frazzle

frazzle

Number of posts : 1426

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 1:09 am

I don't know anything about the personal stuff. So no news here.

If the recorded version of David C is similar, I will pay $$ for it. Loved it. LOVED IT. Want to listen to it over and over. (downloaded the audio from rickey.org so I can)

Of the others, I continue to know that Brooke is most likely the one I will pay to see in a small venue in person. If this performance was one in a full set I would be delighted. Not thrilled, but delighted.

As Randy said of Jason, he has a singer/songwriter vibe. That is what I like about him and very much enjoyed him tonight. I like it when he uses full non falsetto voice and the song has some sort of reggae kinda beat. In a few years, if he sticks with it, and does write some cool songs, I believe he will be a performer I will genuinely enjoy.

By now I cannot watch David A. Such a strong abused child vibe. I think he has GREAT pipes. But I cannot watch or listen mor ethan a few bars.I want the kid to run away.

Michael and Carly..my GAWD I remain wildly impressed by both, but I continue to want them to sing songs for $$$$$$$ that are on the soundtrack for a brilliant movie. I continue to have no interest in seeing either one of them live, or to buy any of their music. anybody understand what I am saying (even if you completely disagree?).

Anybody else who performed made no impression on me tonight.

Now I am going to go listen to Chickezie's downloaded audio rendition of She's a Woman as performed on the show (the official recording doesn't come close, in my view).
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 5:57 am

Luca, though I agree that Carly needs help with styling, I don't think it should have been said to her on national TV. That is something that could have been said to her after the show. Who is Mr. Black T-Shirt every single damn week to tell a woman something like that and embarrass her in front of millions of people. He is suppose to judge their performances not insult their personal appearances. It really bothered me.

I see DI has Jason as bottom two. Wonder if he will be bottom two tonight. I would not be surprised. For me the voice is weak and uninteresting. The overall package is nice - especially if he is a good songwriter - but for me the voice is totally forgettable.

I just don't get an abused child vibe from David A at all. I watched an MTV video of an interview with some of David's close friends talking about their friendship with David and all the things they do and what he is like and it all sounds very normal to me. They all seem to have a lot of fun together. I'm so not going to judge anybody based on things I wouldn't have a clue about. I just see a happy kid who sings fantastic and really wants to win.

How scary about David C. affraid This is the first I have heard of it. I will have to go and see what I can find out. How sad that he is dealing with such sad personal issues at this time Crying or Very sad

I actually will be surprised if this year is girl/boy. If Dial Idol is at all close than no girls are ever top two or even top 3. I am predicting a boy/boy year. I think TPTB want a boy to win this year. I also think unless David A has some really bad performances in the next several weeks he is unbeatable. The young girls LOVE him and they are probably voting and texting their little fingers to the bone! With that voice he is going to be huge anyway. Win or lose I think labels are drooling.

ETA:
Quote :
According to TMZ, David Cook was rushed to the hospital after tonight's show:

Quote:
As we first reported, Cook was taken to the hospital after his heart began palpitating and his blood pressure rose. We're told Cook, who has high blood pressure to begin with, has been under tremendous stress because his brother has been ill. We're told David's brother, who has cancer, suffered a setback within the last week, and it has really put David on the ropes.

David has been completely stressed out during the entire season. During one of the first shows, David broke down and said he couldn't perform that night -- and changed his mind at the last minute.

We're told earlier tonight, David began complaining that he did not feel well. After the performance, Cook reassured people he was OK -- but ultimately realized he needed medical help.

Quote :
According to TMZ, and someone named Jenna on david-cook.org, he's fine.

Jenna wrote:
FYI to all of David's concerned fans, I have just talked to him and he reassures me that he is perfectly fine, he was indeed taken to the hospital due to a blood pressure spike, however all tests have come back fine.

No worries, everyone, David is fine. We'll all see him dancing around the stage tomorrow night, just as always.

Thanks for everyone's concern.

I really hope he makes it through the rest of the series OK. How stressful about his brother. Makes me wonder if he might leave the show to be with him Sad What a difficult choice.
Back to top Go down
abrahammy

abrahammy

Number of posts : 800

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 6:39 am

Well, not terribly happy about the turn of events.

I really like Jason. I thought he did a very nice job last night. Now, I actually agree that his voice is not all that and a jar of salsa, but it's the whole package - the folksy delivery, the tender, amiable persona, the guitar, the "singer/songwriter" vibe that Randy was talking about. I think he did his best work in several weeks and Simon threw him under the bus on purpose.
Mad

As for David Cook... pale This is REALLY bad news. This could knock him out, and he was final four material. When Jason eventually goes, I'm going to need somebody to root for, and he was on the short list. I hope he's OK.
Quote :

I continue to have no interest in seeing either one of them live, or to buy any of their music. anybody understand what I am saying (even if you completely disagree?).

Yes, I do. I would not go to a concert for Carly or Michael. Jason is a Dallas native; I might drive across town when he gets voted off if he does some local work around here after the show.
Back to top Go down
Luca

Luca

Number of posts : 1611
Registration date : 2007-04-05

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 8:47 am

FC, I totally agree simon was dead wrong to critcize Carly's outfit as harshly as he did, even if he was right. I am not condoning the way he did it at all, I think David A looked like a little slob in his baggy jeans and black tennis shoes and could use some major styling help himself! Why did'nt he say anything about him? No I think for women their appearance is a very personal issue and it was extremely rude and insensitive to bring attention to her like that. He apparently does'nt like her...

I really wonder about some of these press leaks about David...smacks of trying to get him more attention. That stuff can be kept on the downlow if it is "nothing". Personally, I think he is the new TCO.

About Jason...he was just "ok" to me. I liked the performance, but I just don't see the versatility and voice to be at this level of a singing competition like AI.

I hope Ramelie goes...she really needs to! I do think the level of talent this season is high. I totally see Michael and Carly doing really well on Broadway. And Michael could do well as a lead singer in a really good band...Carly as well. Neither is an "Idol" type performer ala Carrie or
the rest. Which is very nice and I am enjoying them for that reason.
Back to top Go down
Green Eyez

Green Eyez

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 11:04 am

Quote :
Neither is an "Idol" type performer ala Carrie or the rest. Which is very nice and I am enjoying them for that reason.
Yes! Anything that breaks away from the Idol "American Pie" mode is awesome for me!

Maybe that's why David A. does nothing for me. I'm was thinking about it and I'm going to agree with what Frazz says about him. No, it's not just because of some report on a blogging site. There is something unnatural about him. Maybe it's because he's been in front of the camera since he was a little tyke. I don't know. I do feel a tad uncomfortable when he sings and maybe Frazz has hit upon why. I also think that when people go overboard with trying to prove how NORMAL a person is, I am suspicious.

To make this post even longer, ETA something from the recap on TwoP that sums it up for me perfectly:

Quote :
So, as always with David Archuleta, the self-consciousness of the performance overwhelms what remains an impressive and precociously strong voice. I would probably like these performances so much better as straight-up audio.

Jason is a singer of songs. A storyteller. He really needed to be around during the time of, say, Peter, Paul and Mary. I would love to sit in a small venue and watch him play guitar and sing. I'd enjoy watching him too.

Simon is notorious for putting down the women for the way they dress or their weight and ignoring, say, Ruben, Mr. TCO.

I actually don't agree that they shouldn't comment on the outfits. When they come out there, they're selling a whole package, including their image. However, I do agree "Mr. Black Shirt" needs to be more even-handed with talking to both the men and women about what they wear.

I don't agree about Michael. In the music biz, you can do a lot with being pretty. If they really update his look and give him the right songs, I think the girls would be eating him up. Time will tell.

It's weird. I don't think I've ever bought an album by any Idol contestant. It seems that (and FC is going to love this) except for Clay, and possibly Kelly, it's hard for me to get past the whole "they were an AI contestant" thing. I don't know why. I'm one of those people who enjoys them on the show and then (except for Shmuckface) instantly forgets them after the finale.

I will bet any amount of money that even though the guys are blowing away the women, and even if they drop like flies, there will be one who will last till the end. Just like Kat who outlasted Daughtry. It'll most likely be Carly. I hope to GOD it's not Kristy, because I want to enjoy the finale.
Back to top Go down
Sky

Sky

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 1:23 pm

There is something about David A, that also bothers me, can't put my finger on it, almost like he's striving for acceptance or approval or something? He always looks timid. His voice is unbelievable, but I don't ever intend on buying anything he should put out there.

Jason, well, he's just a cutie and I do love his voice and it is distinguishable and I love his delivery. I will buy anything he releases.

David C...........simply amazing voice, vocal range and wow, can he hold a note! Will buy anything he puts out there. His older recordings are really good too.

Brooke, I might buy a cd of hers, depending on the songs.

Michael, yes I'd buy a cd of his as long as it isn't 'pop' music.

These 5 are the only ones that interest me.
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 2:56 pm

I think the reason it bothered me sooo much about the comment to Carly is it was just last week she was forced to comment on "being pregnant" and she said she felt she had to wear something so look slimmer. As if that probably didn't make her feel bad enough, she gets it from Simon last night No Yes, style is HUGE in selling the package, and that is what should be going on behind the scenes (and as far as I have always heard, it is). I just don't think she needed to get hit with a nasty comment about her appearance again. She must feel terrible, and as if the singing and eliminations isn't enough pressure Evil or Very Mad And yes, Simon never said boo to Rube about his weight or those stupid 205 shirts, but he had no trouble telling Kim Locke and Vanessa (of the same season) that they were fat! Another thing that never should have been sad on air to them - IMHO. Let the people behind the scenes help them with that. You know what Simon, most woman over weight KNOW they are over weight and do not need you to humiliate them for it. It is bad enough when one is told he is hideous.

David C - I think they knew that word would get out for sure that he needed to get to the hospital and it was better that they be the ones to release info before all sorts of rumors start flying around. I don't know if he is the new TCO. Simon didn't particularly act like he was. I however would LOVE for him to be because he sure the heck became the main one I care about!! Brooke and Carly would be next. I would be almost as happy about Carly and Brooke as I would Cookie (a nickname someone on another board has for him and I love it Laughing ) Almost Wink

I like Michael a lot. I didn't like his performance last night as much as the judges. I have liked some of his other performances better. I still just don't see him winning though.

David A. - I think his voice is gorgeous! Very talented kid. I just wish he had waited to mature as a performer before going on the show. I still see a very young boy. He is not my fave - I don't know if it is because he is so young or his performance style, but I do prefer Cookie, Brooke and Carly to David A. But I think if David A. wins he "fills" the AI title nicely. You know, sweet clean-cut kid with a powerful voice and seems like a really good kid.

There was nothing at all about that MTV interview with his friends that could be looked at as people trying too hard to make things look normal. Just some 17 year old kids laughing and talking about the fun they have together and what they all like to do when they hang. Pure and simple. Just like the interview with his teachers and principal . They weren't any different than all the interviews I've watch with Clay's friends and family or Rube's. Just your basic stuff.

Do I think Sky is right about striving for acceptance - yes! That I do see. But I have seen it in Carly too. I think she wants to be accepted and loved and win this very much. I read about her breakdown during the commercial break after she was in the bottom 3. I think she needs this. I think she feels at her age and her previous failed CD that this is her last chance. I do think David A. feels a lot of pressure, but a lot of kids put that pressure on themselves. I have known kids like that. That absolute need to be the best and win everything. It's scary to tell you the truth. Justin has a friend like that right now. Seriously, this boy has just got to be HS Valedictorian or I fear he will fall apart and I am not exaggerating. Both his older siblings were and he has taken on the pressure that he has got to be too - and I know his parents are not putting that on him. Sadly he has done it to himself. Though in a way I totally understand. I do know that need to please one's parents. It is something I still deal with Embarassed

GE, it is hard to get past the AI connection for me - even with Clay and Kelly. But that really doesn't bother me at all. IF it were not for AI I would not have Clay or Kelly (I love them both) or now Cookie! Razz

BTW, I know it may very well be true that David and his dad have issues. I just don't know or can't tell from the few mins a week I see the kid. I just hope he is happy and doing well and having the time of his life!
Back to top Go down
firecracker

firecracker

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 3:34 pm

From David's brother posted on myspace:

Quote :
David is Fine!!!!

Thanks to everyone for the concern but I am here to inform you that my brother DAVID IS FINE!!!! The news was brought up due to the over exaggeration of David going to the hospital by the paparazzi and such.

He wants me to tell everyone that he is doing great and is ready to sing!

Thanks again!

Andrew Cook
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: American Idol   American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

American Idol
Page 4 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next